Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

perhaps @Ten of Swords would know as they are a mod of current affairs They should be able to advise you on how to find out at least

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

They were likely deleted because Boards.ie is an ideologically captured site in thrall to gender ideology.

You probably referred to someone by their sex-accurate pronouns.

You can see exactly how captured Boards is in this thread: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058000317/ridiculous-moderation-on-current-affairs-imho/p1

It's particularly eye-opening the way that the admins are so steadfastly committed to denying people the right to express sincerely (and extremely widely) held philosophical beliefs "for the cause".

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

The adults didn't sit down and think stuff through. They are being dragged to the chairs, kicking and screaming, having metaphorical matchsticks shoved between their eyelids, and being forced to confront the many, many harms they are inflicting on women and children through their fanatical zealotry (rare) or their cowardly blind-eye turning (very common).

There's an increasing amount of activism happening in Ireland and elsewhere, and I heartily encourage anyone who is concerned about the road we're currently on to get involved.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Strange in that thread when someone posts it's under their current username.

Yet when someone quotes a reply it shows their old username.

I guess we now know the former username of one the most frequent posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Who would have guessed that Buford T. Justice XIX was actually Buford T. Justice VI, under a different name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ElJaguar

Crazy that was ever allowed in the first place.

It started as genuine kindness. Shur I was the same. But when people pointed out that you can't deny Caitlyn's past as an Olympics medal winner, when JK was torn to shreds for disagreeing that biological sex can't just be disregarded, and then Maya... I did some serious thinking. None of which involved turning against people who are trans just because they're trans... but questioning aspects of the ideology, which are simply illogical.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

An old username in quotes doesn't change, just the username itself. My last post has just been deleted by the way! 😊

What on earth are they afraid of?

I was a "be kind" bot at one point, too. It was intact males sexually abusing women in prison, finding out about teenagers dealing with osteoporosis from puberty blockers, and detransitioners who felt they had been encouraged and "love-bombed" along a path of medical and surgical intervention from a young age for me. Which lead me into looking at... everything else.

As soon as women's spaces and sports are respected and children and teenagers are given more appropriate, holistic care, I'll be able to retire into my garden. Can't wait. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I think most of us in our 40s support Gay rights Trans rights as they were marginalised. Now it seems to have changed into a circus. For me it's just turned into people that have joined the cause or community Wanting to be more special than the previous. Genuine Trans just wanted to be recognise as being born in the wrong body and changing that via surgery. I have no Issue with that if your over 18. Have no issue using their new name and addressing them as male or female. I think most people don't. + should be completely removed from lgb-t though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Where are you getting the notion that genuine trans people want to change via surgery? Some do, some don't.

If you want to be trans in Ireland you don't need any surgery. Or hormones. Or anything at all really. You just need to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,525 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

‘Your daughter beat my daughter in a sporting event? she must have a penis’

Thanks everyone this is the future you wanted. Win a race, get Othered.

As usual, jump to the extreme possible end scenario. Either absolutely nothing is wrong, or this is what happens when people criticise/complain/or are concerned. Nah. All the examples provided earlier in the thread are disqualified because of this one article, and the consequences for those involved. This one article/reference is enough to show that we shouldn't be concerned, and that we should just allow the Trans topic to continue without any opposition.

I'm always amazed at the logic that goes into shutting down criticism of the Trans topic in how it relates to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Your quote isn't in that article, where did it come from?

Also, reading the article, the child in question and her parents were not informed of the investigation. The school was able to confirm to the UHSAA that the girl was not transgender. There wasn't any "othering" of the child.

All of this comes from legal uncertainty as the Governor of Utah wanted a law to ban transgender athletes amended as his opinion is that transgender athletes should be allowed to compete as long as they don't win.

Funny because the thread title is an extreme possible end scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

Where weight categories exist competitors are oftern requireed to validate their weight (sometimes at a public weigh-in)

where age categories exists sometimes competors' Birth dates are validated (produce doucmentaiono with DOB on it such as passport)

In the past it was normal that some competiros' sex was validated for some events (There is even a trivial persuit question around this!)

There is nothing abnormal about validating someone's eligibilty to compete in a category of any kind, sex based or otherwise. So the the article is a big "so what".

Surely you understand the difference between paraphrasing and quotation.

QED: parents accused child of being trans for being good at sports against their daughters.

"QED: parents accused child of being trans for being good at sports against their daughters."

So what?

For illustrating what exactly?

It is perfectly normal to validate eligibility for participation in categories in sport. Hence "So what"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Its rank of the parents to not assume the wining child was of the same sex!

Why?

If someone entered a masters cateogy age group competition but looked too younfg would it be "rank" to question their eligibilty?

Is it "rank" to have weigh ins before being allowed to participate in weight category comptitions?

Is it "rank" to weight jcokeys and their kit before they participate in a horse race?

They only cried foul after the girl won the competition. They verify her DOB at registration. This is really reaching.

So it's the timing of the objection that you object to, not the nature of the objection itself. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So basically every athlete who might be in any way classed "good" should start having their gender questioned.

This othering actually impacts cis women too. The irony that people who claim to stand up for womens rights have nothing to say about how butch cis women might be harassed etc because it is assumed they might be trans.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm not saying anyone should have their gender questioned, Sports are usually categorised by sex, not gender.

I'm saying it is comletely normal to validate eligibility to participate in a cateogry of any nature. This actually impacts cis-women, cis-men, people of any age, people og=f any weight. It affects everyone. I do realise that. You appear not to. Yet again showing your complete lack of knoweldge of sports.

Fro the record I'm against the harresment of anyone, full stop. whether cis or trans, whether male or female, whether young or old, whether light or heavy. Validating eligibility to participate in a sports category is not harrasment.

Both, the timing just underscores the insincerity behind the challenge.

“I’m not saying anyone should have their gender questioned… [but] it’s completely normal”

Do you have any information you could point to that would illustrate why you thinktheir objection was insincere? Or do yio assume that every questioning of someone's elegibilty to participate in a category is insencere?

If you knew anything about sports you might realise that most objections to results happen during or after an event, not before.

• Advertisement

Do you understand the difference between sex and gender, or do we need to go back to course 101 here?

Advertisement