Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Meet Ireland’s fastest man, setting a new national record of 10.17 seconds

Israel Olatunde: Who is Ireland’s fastest man?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

I initially thought he had won a medal, the record is impressive in itself though I suppose.

You didn’t need the “I suppose” at the end. The rest of the attempt to downplay the achievement was unsubtle enough

Considering the coverage, I thought he won, or rather, I though he won a medal. It was the Irish record, rather than an international medal warranted the coverage - I suppose. Interestingly, the potential for that achievement prompted the pre-competition coverage as well.

He came in sixth but in terms of time, was 0.04 seconds away from a bronze. He's only 20 too so no doubt we'll see him improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Student unions apparently kicking off now because they finally see around their own waves of virtue signalling that the young people whom they are supposed to represent are now totally fuçked in terms of attaining affordable accommodation, actually any accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, that was a horrible past that happened throughout Europe from east to west. So even when it comes to horrible stuff there is more in common with the Eastern Europe than with Africa.

SU's complaining about lack of accommodation is an annual occurrence so no change there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nope... just that it's ' less attainable ' because more in demand.... :) so BIG changes...

This is probably true, they were expecting him to break the record this time around as well I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Behind the political horror involved we see mass produced fitted and chemically dyed clothing, bricks and cement, mass produced glass and metal and finely engineered standardised metal, printing, electricity. None of which was present for all sorts of different reasons in the pre industrial sub Saharan Africa*. And it's not as if Africans, like Europeans or Asians or anyone you care to point to weren't chopping off each others heads, raping and pillaging and enslaving and generally being dicks at times. Europeans were just the "best" at it, obscene as that is. Though they were also more quick to change attitudes too.

Yep and the same patterns emerge as in other "multicultural" western nations. Where Black people in particular can be rightfully lauded and pointed to by majority White multiculturalists for outstanding sporting achievements or feted in the arts by the majority White populations, while the average Black person in those same "multicultural" nations are far more likely to be under or unemployed, in need of social support, poorer, less educated, more likely to be gaol and even have shorter life expectancies. If one were to watch American sports one could be forgiven for believing that Black Americans make up far more than 12 percent of the US population and are doing very well for themselves, yet Black Lives Matter kicked off there, because it needed to. Nearly half of all Prisoners in the US are Black Americans and gunshot is one of the leading causes of death in young Black men. But yay a Black guy won a medal for "our" team.

*Geography and climate were two of the biggies. The major lack of navigable rivers that flooded reliably an obvious one. Where one existed, the Nile, it gave rise to a huge civilisation. The Euphrates, the Tigris, the Indus, the Yangtze and closer to home the Danube, the Loire all had civilisations spring up. Europe also had the advantage of a more easy to navigate sea the mediterranean, so that became a "river" for the classical world. Even America was primed for the European colonists with her big rivers like the Mississippi. Interestingly the Meso American civilisations weren't nearly so based on or reliant on rivers so it could be done in other ways. The other biggie is easily domesticated animals. Africa may have the zebra but a horse it is not. ven Indian elephants are far easier to tame and train than the African versions who tend to get stampy. Again the Meso Americans didn't have this either by comparison to Eurasia but got around it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Fair play to him. That is some achievement 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It is not "stereotyping", which is a lame argument. How can one say multiculturalism is better if you don't agree that people from foreign lands are different. If they are different then they are stereotypically different, just like the Irish are stereotypically different from the English. You have to look at it as the culture as a whole, rather than showing one individual in any culture isn't stereotypical of that culture. If you invite Polish people into the county, or any other nationality, you are inviting the stereotypical culture as well. You can't get away from this fact.

It’s the very definition of stereotyping - making broad generalisations and attributing them to any group, whether positive or negative, IS stereotyping. I’ve never said multiculturalism is better or worse than anything, I’ve always maintained that it’s the outcome of people with different cultures and values sharing a space, whether that be in a political or social context. I don’t have to look at any culture as a whole or anything else when it’s individuals are being assessed for their eligibility to be able to live in Ireland and contribute to Irish society. It’s not inviting Polish culture into the country when inviting Polish nationals into the country, any more than if one was to engage in negative stereotypes about the Irish people - we’re a bunch of pious, spud-munching, drunken wife-beaters who are quick-tempered and live to fight. It’s not a fact that needs getting away from, because it was never established as a fact in the first place, because these are all negative stereotypes. We’re not all ignorant thugs, a stereotype exemplified by Conor McGregor -

https://m.sundayworld.com/showbiz/irish-showbiz/irelands-first-openly-gay-referee-slams-conor-mcgregor-for-using-homophobic-language/41791320.html

Nor do we have a ‘culture of homophobia’, as some people would wish other people would believe -

https://gcn.ie/culture-homophobia-ireland/

Even if up until recently we had some dodgy discussion points in the teachers material for the SPHE curriculum -

The Department of Education removed online teaching material criticised as "homophobic," which asked secondary school students to discuss a number of statements, including whether "all gays molest children".

The material was included in online teaching resources provided by the department for social, personal and health education (SPHE) classes at Junior Cycle level until recent months.

The teaching booklet directs students to read through several statements and outline whether they agreed or disagreed with them.

The statements said; “all gays are HIV positive”, “boys who don’t play sport are gay”, “you can change from being a homosexual”, “girls who don’t wear make-up are lesbian”, and “homosexuals shouldn’t be allowed to marry”.

The Relationships and Sexuality Education (RSE) teaching material had been written in the late 1990s.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/department-of-education-removes-homophobic-teaching-material-1.4724061

Islam is guilty of being homophobic. End of. It's not stereotyping to say Muslims are on the whole homophobic, even if some aren't. They largely are even in the UK as was found in a recent survey, which showed a majority of UK Muslims believe today that homosexuality should be illegal. 

That’s the end of it as far as you’re concerned. However I don’t believe it’s quite as simplistic as that at all. It’s very much stereotyping to suggest Muslims are on the whole homophobic. It’s literally the definition of stereotyping -

a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/27/caught-in-middle-queer-muslims-lgbtq-lessons-schools-protests

https://theconversation.com/amp/what-its-like-to-be-gay-and-a-muslim-61128

https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2021/05/27/gay-people-are-reclaiming-an-islamic-heritage

If I visited a Muslim country I would hide that fact I'm gay. Do I have a bad attitude towards Muslims, for stereotyping them, or am I being a wise bird? I'll go with my instincts thanks. I would rather be accused of stereotyping than have my throat slit.

Since you asked me the question directly, it’s clear you DO have a bad attitude towards Muslims, based upon stereotypes. Go with your instincts all you want, personally I’m not sure 2Bn Muslims are likely to care one way or the other about you personally tbh, they’re not all that different from anyone else who just wants to go about their business and has no interest in the culture wars or any of the rest of that nonsense. It’s far more likely they’ll disappoint you by not living up to your expectations based upon negative stereotypes. Leo managed to do a whole tour of the region last year with the aim of strengthening trade links and international investment, and managed to make it back in one piece -

https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/news-and-events/department-news/2021/november/13112021.html

I’m reminded of a Gallup poll from a few years ago, 2013 or 2014, which found that, regardless of geography, the vast majority of Muslims globally were homophobic. The highest tolerance for homosexuality was found in South Asian (e.g. Bangladesh) Muslim communities with only 79% morally opposing homosexuality, the lowest tolerance for homosexuality was found in South-East Asian (e.g. Indonesia) Muslim communities, with 95% morally opposing homosexuality. A few years before that, a Gallup poll found, unbelievably, that 100% of British Muslims polled felt that homosexuality was immoral, this, compared to the incredibly generous perspective of French Muslims, of whom only 65% felt homosexuality was immoral. Relatively recently, in 2017, 52% of British Muslims polled reported believing that homosexuality ought to be illegal in the UK, to be clear, homosexuality itself rather than gay marriage. In 2014, a Gallup poll found that even a plurality, 47%, of American Muslims, generally employed and economic independent, felt that homosexuality had to be discouraged. 

“Leo managed to do a whole tour of the region last year with the aim of strengthening trade links and international investment, and managed to make it back in one piece”

Is this intended as an ironic comment? A prominent politician of an EU member state managed to survive a visit to a series of Islamic countries, demonstrating that Islamic countries are actually tolerant towards homosexuality? If that is genuinely the belief, I’m unsure if it is even worth engaging with you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think you did say multiculturalism was better a few posts ago, where you argued that if there was only one culture it would more likely give rise to a totalitarian state, and you gave the historic Catholic Church's grip on Ireland as an example of that. Did you not say something like that?

And I don't have a bad attitude towards individual Muslims. I've known loads of Muslims in the UK through work and socially. Although I must say I did get vibes off Muslim colleagues at work but I always put that down to them not getting my sense of humour, and that's being generous I think.

And anyway, I'm not saying we are better than anyone else, which was the gist of your argument with your Conor McGregor example. I have no superiority complex over anyone else. I know full well that were one is born, and the circumstances one was born into, very much dictates how one will turn out, one's values, one's opinions and so on. I'm only being realistic, not prejudiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I would imagine he would be disgusted if he seen you use his achievement as a reason for immigration.

I assume you were over in the athletics forum praising him for his great achievement?

I do love the response everytime someone points out how immigration is making things worse for irish people and the answer is always things were bad anyway so it doesn't matter.

Except their is a big change this year where Ukrainians are in student accommodation and students have a lot less accommodation then previous years.

You know that and you know it is a big change this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I see a number of foreign students can't get accommodation here for college and some have opt out. Disappointed to hear it.

No more disappointing than irish kids who have spent the majority of their lifes working through school to get to college and are in the same situation.

Actually a lot more disappointing for irish kids.

It's not fair on foreign students and Irish students that the government have an open door policy when we don't have anywhere to put them.

This will only get worse on everyone while we keep adding to the population while not building enough places to keep up with the numbers coming here.

Oh I agree. Problem is people who want to actually contribute seem be ones brushed aside.

• Advertisement

Great pride in Tallaght I'd say with these 2 breaking national records at the Euros

RTE news : Tallaght pride for track stars Olatunde and Adeleke

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Africans do make better sprinters.

Do you think they appreciate being used as tokens? Are they anything more than good africans to you @[Deleted User] ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

You would wonder will it ever come to a point where Europeans are no longer blamed for Africa being, what it is...

How many 100s of years??

Wait till you find out they are students......

OK, it's clear now that those two Irish athletes, born and raised in Ireland, are nothing more than good African immigrants to you.

Why would you parade them here otherwise?

• Advertisement

I celebrate all the positives of multi-culturalism, of which there are many 😊

On a side note, maybe I missed it, but what did other posters say when you challenged them on posting negative stories?

Or is it only positive stories you have an issue with as they don't align with your prejudices

Advertisement