Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister 'misinterpreted the requirements' after failure to declare second house in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

FFG are **** themselves behind the scenes. Normally when a story like this breaks in the media they would be all over it and contacting those they have built relationships in the media organisation/organisations that is publishing these stories. The fire fighting would begin and they might be allowed to control the narrative or get an inkling of what's yet to come.

With The Ditch they are dealing with a new media organisation and as they have no contacts there or relationships built, they don't know how to handle this. Troy released more info today in his statement as he and FFG try to pre-empt what the Ditch will publish next. What they have done is given the Ditch more info to start digging into. They are also hoping and praying the Ditch has nothing else to report but I am sure more is to come. It's great to see somebody in the Media actually holding government TD's to account without any political involvement behind the scenes.

Sadly as long as MSM journalists think there is a chance of getting job, as a government advisor you won't see much impartial reporting. The only way to stop this is to only allow ex journalists to apply for jobs as a government advisor. By ex journalist they have to no longer be a working journalist or a member of the NUJ for two years minimum. I am sure people on here will get behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The hole is getting deeper and deeper for Minister Troy.

He should resign immediately or be fired, but has the support of the Tanaiste who is happy to hand over state documents to his buddies and sees nothing wrong with this.

Someone earlier hit the nail on the head when they said Barry Cowan and Darragh Calleary were fired for less.

Immediate dismissal from his ministerial post and a thorough Revenue audit is required here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Both went because of drink driving issues; hardly lesser offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Calleary was force out because of golf gate not drink driving.

That was grossly unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It is great to see. Would we have heard anything about the goings on in An Bord Pleanala were it not for Ontheditch.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Paddy Cosgrave, OTD are providing a great service here. Seems to be mostly publicly avaliable information from the land registry, property price register, companies registration etc.

RTE have given the story less than a minute on the six one news and the only aspect covered was the incorrect declaration and Troy's apology for same.

I'd just like to know why it's being left to FG of all parties to defend Robert Troy , its extraordinary the ongoing FF silence and I'm thinking it's quite deliberate. Darragh O Brien gave a half hearted defences earlier in the week but only one part of the story had been released at that stage.

Pippa Hackett (G) giggling says she fills in what she has to fill in. Leo says Robert is top class and Simon Harris calls for improved legislation re declarations , all this in one Article in the Indo.

Fair enough but many would not agree with it being unfair for behaving in such cavalier fashion. Golfgate "victims" really get no sympathy.

No drink driving is cavalier, being labelled a drink driver in the wrong is crass.

Going to an event that didn't break any rules was probably ill advised, but he should never have lost his job over it.

I'm not saying Troy should lose his job either, but his story is swiss cheese, he needs to come out of hiding and fill in the holes.

Martin was very annoyed about that whole thing so it was an inevitable consequence. Troy seems to have done so today for the SIPO register so it's over to them.

• Advertisement

I'd bet by the end of the week he will be forced to give an interview, maybe akin to your one "falling" off the swing.

From the Irish Times

Minister of State Robert Troy has made wide-ranging amendments to his Oireachtas register of members’ interests going back over a decade, and apologised for errors in his returns.

He has also disclosed details of his substantial property interests, some for the first time, including rental accommodation contracts with Westmeath County Council, the sale of the garden of one of his properties, and negotiations for potential sales of properties.

The changes include registration for the first time of Mr Troy’s former home, which has been rented out since November 2021, as well as the inclusion of a property called Oak Crest, which he omitted in 2020 having registered it in 2019.

He has also registered two other properties which had been the subject of scrutiny in recent days, Ashfield in Mullingar and Ashlawn in Longford. He registered his ownership of Ashfield in 2018, which had previously been correctly registered for all other years, and Ashlawn for the first time, as it had erroneously never been included on his register of members’ interests.

He has also added his directorship of a company, RMT Management Limited, which was declared in previous years but not in 2021, even though the company was still active. He said it was left off in 2021 as he thought it had ceased operations and therefore was not obliged to register it as he had done in previous years.

In total there are five substantial rectifications, but there are many more minor or technical amendments. For example, he has made changes in each of the years from 2011 to 2021 including all properties he has an interest in under the headings of both land and occupation. He previously only included them under the “occupation” heading as they generated rental

income.

Nice to see the Irish Times along with the Indo finally taking an interest, at last 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SIPO should be able to look at the record of past and present TDs and have power to act if regs have been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

hmmm how does a Director not know if a company is active or not ? Unless you get your entire salary at the start of the year would you assume it's still active if your being paid. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Never liked Robert Troy - anytime I've ever heard him speak there was always something oily and snivelling about him.

I think he's probably fcked here tbh, an awful lot has just come out of the woodwork and it's going to be very hard to maintain the "honest mistake"line for ever.

Though if there's ever a relatively good time to become embroiled in the political scandal, it's probably August. Plenty in the world of politics and the media have their feet up at this time of the year and he may not find himself being dragged over the coals as a result.

And also there's probably a fair cohort of Dail members who won't be shouting too loudly about this, because I'm sure he's far from the only one.

Good evening 😏 indeed Robert is quite the forgetful type god bless him but in fairness with so many properties, wheeling a Dealing it must be terribly difficult for him to keep on top of the Shenanigans, I'm just amazed he's time to be a Minister, let alone TD 😏

SIPO should be auditing every single TD and Senator every single year. Keep them squeaky clean. There are 160 TDs and 60 Senators, audit 1 a day every single year and keep on top of this nonsense. You know Troy isn't the only one who is up to this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I dunno there maybe a rush of form filling during the summer. Unless some are to stupid not to take note. 🤐 I mean If I were a TD I would be making sure all my i are dotted and t crossed.

What I find interesting is that those who defend Troy are openly attacking various online platforms such as Twitter and Wikipedia saying they are the problem. They are deflecting from the issue we are discussing which is Troy's wrong doing. Troy has to resign from this and I know the Ditch will keep the pressure on him until the dail resumes and a no confidence motion in Troy will almost certainly be instigated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The Ditch are just a front for a number of people who have an axe to grind with FG/FF etc, in particular Paddy Cosgrove who has it in for FG because they wouldn’t hand him millions of tax payers money

It would be a more interesting website if they actually took the same approach with all political parties.

Funny you are trying to claim no political involvement behind the scenes and then you see the people involved in the Ditch, with one of the editors confirming they will not investigate Sinn Fein until they get into government….do you actually believe that?

In terms of Troy he should have quit a few days ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

This is not a SF thread, why discuss them or others on here?

Micheal should be sacking Troy if he won't resign

I was responding to a post about the website which broke the story and how great they are because of no political involvement yet one of the main people behind the website confirms they have no interest in articles on the biggest party in Ireland???? Sinn Fein

If the sites wants to taken serious then it should be after all corruption in Ireland?

Journalists code

There are around 400 codes covering journalistic work around the world. While various codes may differ in the detail of their content and come from different cultural traditions, most share common elements including the principles of truthfulnessaccuracy and fact-based communications, independence, objectivityimpartiality, fairness, respect for others and public accountability, as these apply to the gathering, editing and dissemination of newsworthy information to the public

The Ditch is doing this country a great service and if SF get in government they will be put under the same scrutiny too. Again you and others are attacking who is reporting on Troy and not commenting on what Troy has done.

Would you at least comment on what Troy has done or is that beyond you?

He can discuss SF, ontheditch even twitter but Troy talk is forbidden

You made an accusation that some newspapers are covering up corruption (controlling the narrative) and then praise the Ditch who have admitted they have no interest in reporting corruption on some parties in Ireland

So explain that to me?

If you read my post I made my point clear on Troy

I made an accusation which I backed up with and I also offered a suggestion to combat it.Do you think my suggestion is a good or bad idea?

I never saw the Ditch claim any party was out of bounds. Can you enlighten me and show evidence of this?

When did ontheditch admit to having no interest in reporting corruption on some parties in Ireland?

So they never said they had no interest in reporting corruption on some parties in Ireland

You made up a lie, were questioned on it and then showed a link to prove you were lying

Hahahahaha

• Advertisement

The fact they will investigate SF is good and you even admitted so in the link you posted. That is a good thing as they said they will take on those who wield power.

Advertisement