Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

interviews this week and the interview board gives its recommendation, then its up before the full county board for ratification before the club championship kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I'd imagine you're definitely over thinking it. Rochford has been coach at Donegal since he left Mayo and has stated that is his preferred role, so no issues playing second fiddle. I can't imagine he would have agreed to join McStay's ticket if he wasn't OK with that arrangement.

I can't imagine any of these folks would hold any grievances with each other from club allegiances. None will have kicked a ball against each other at club level for at least a decade if not 2 at this point. McStay was a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Army, mainly in Comms as far as I read, so i'd imagine people will know exactly what he will expect of them and what their position in the team will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wouldn't have the slightest concern tbh. Rochford quite happy not to be the chief and McHale and McStay have had that relationship before.

When it was first rumoured, there was some talk that Rochford was to be the main man... That wouldn't have worked.

It's an incredibly strong ticket. I'm probably leaning towards it over the Dempsey ticket after rooting for Dempsey all along.

I would be very happy with either of the two. Head and shoulders over the other 2 tickets imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

McStay had a fairly acrimonious falling out with his co-manager in Roscommon after year 1 I think. Wonder how the planned shared responsibilities differed to reality. Personally find McStay talks an awful load of fluff.

• Advertisement

Was the falling out between McStay and O'Donnell?. I don't believe that was what reported, by either McStay or O'Donnell - according to O'Donnell when he stepped down

"Recently, a concerted effort has been made (outside of management and players) to undermine and disparage us and it is especially disappointing and damaging that those involved purport to be concerned about the promotion of GAA within the county. "

I'm not familiar enough with what went on there but I've not seen anything stated publicly that indicated there was an issue between the co-managers.

Also has McStay outlined this as a co-manager arrangement on his ticket?. News to me if he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

A couple of thoughts....

How has the McStay application gone down with the players? We all remember their reaction last time and himself and McHale applied and they haven't exactly changed their tune in their comments since, so have they made any private communications to the County Board? Has McStay played them at their own game by getting Rochford and Buckley (who the players know and highly respect) on board knowing that the players can't say anything about him publicly know because they would (wrongly) be accused of having a go at his ticket as a whole?

Given the perilous financial state of things, will the CB judge McStay's and Dempsey's tickets as being too expensive and go for one of the two cheaper options?

Will the CB see both McStay and Dempsey as being too strong a character to "control" and opt for one of the other two if they feel that they can be the dictator rather than the one who is being dictated to?

Looking at all the tickets, I'd give it to Dempsey but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Solan got it (and I'm very disappointed with his ticket to be honest. If it had been better, I'd have probably gone for him). I don't think even Declan Shaw thinks he will get it, no idea how or why he's in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

How has the McStay application gone down with the players? We all remember their reaction last time and himself and McHale applied and they haven't exactly changed their tune in their comments since, so have they made any private communications to the County Board? 

Have you a link to these reactions and comments re McStay & McHale?

You're joking, right?? Unless you were living under a rock at the time, they were widely reported in the media.

So what you're saying is that the CB held the interviews (with H&C, McStay and whoever else) and then went to the players and asked for their opinion on who they should choose? I've heard that "rumour" before but I didn't realise that anyone actually believed it

• Advertisement

When did I say the CB went to the players and ask their opinion? Answer: I didn't. Oh, and both McStay and McHale have subsequently confirmed that the players didn't want them and made it clear to the CB. So, if you've nothing else, we'll move on.

Since it was "widely reported", I presume you have a link to share?

I always just assumed that was a bullsh*t story to justify the ham-fisted way the CB handled that appointment process and to shift the blame over to the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You did say it was widely reported, not the case.

My recollection is that McStay applied for the job and was told before he interviewed that he wasn't the preferred candidate.

IMO the story about the players was a red herring that came from the Connelly/CB camp

the word "apparently" doing an awful lot of hard work in there to support certain theories.

In fairness the way that whole fiasco was handled was absolutely disgraceful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Ah stop will ya,

This kind of barstool bullsh1t needs to be challenged.

If it was reported at all then show a link,if it was " widely reported" you should be able to have loads of links.........but you won't find one because it wasn't reported (widely or otherwise) it was sh1tetalk by eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

How so ? Two candidates applied for the position, one declined to be interviewed and removed themselves from the process. Was a bit on it I'm the western people that debunked some of the myths around it

"Given the perilous financial state of things, will the CB judge McStay's and Dempsey's tickets as being too expensive and go for one of the two cheaper options?"

From what I've heard, a significant part of the interview process is having financial backers involved with your ticket. I.e the County Board won't be footing the bill for all the expenses and candidates have to show that they've some money men behind them.

I've no idea how true that is but I've heard that McStay submitted detailed outline costings and provided ways they could/would be looked after. Also heard the Dempsey has no issues on that front.

Is this barstool talk? I don't think it is tbh.

One was told he wasn't the preferred candidate before the interview, who would interview on that basis?

• Advertisement

Why not, principal of interview is to sway opinion in favour. Happens day in day out in public and private sector employment and happens in politics. Allegedly it was terms that were not favourable so why not attempt to justify them. Be interesting to see how things go for candidates this time around, looking like Saturday for interviews. Wonder if there's a second round planned?

Would you mind sharing a link to the article?

Edit: if its this article you're referring to: https://westernpeople.ie/2022/08/13/to-manage-the-mayo-footballers-is-a-privilege-not-a-right/

That only addresses the talk of only one candidate for the job. That was McStays take on it. In fairness there was little talk of another candidate until very close to the deadline but they apparently made the deadline. The fiasco i was talking to was how McStay was told before the interview that he was not the preferred candidate. I have yet to see this happen in the private sector and i've been involved in interviewing for 10 odd years. If I were to say to one of the interviewees look there is only one other person going for this job and we don't want you to get it, they would rightly go to HR and i would be in a shitstorm!

This is where I differ in opinion as my understanding is his terms were not agreeable. Lots of rumour at the the time so no article to link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

How come McStay and McHale never managed Ballina? Surely that would boost their candidacy.

Thanks for that, interesting to know. So, another way of looking at it (arguably) is that it could be termed an auction whereby the candidate with the most financial backing gets to "buy" the job? If any candidate has the ability to show that the CB won't have to pay much or anything at all but another candidate has a significant shortfall in funding, is there going to be temptation to give the job to the former over the latter regardless of their ability/suitability? Who knows.....

At the end of the day, I (and I imagine everyone here) just wants the best candidate to get the job - poisoned chalice and all that it may be. You've effectively got 2 seasons max to deliver the ultimate prize. There won't be a third chance. That's the reality, like it or not.

Apparently this is true and both McSaty and Dempsey have the financial backing,I don't know about the other two.

Also in relation to the Rochford Meath connection,Flynn contacted Rochford through connections in the bank,not to be on his ticket in Meath but for advice on some of the details of what's involved in some aspects of inter County,that was it.I didn't see the tweet by Flynn but if he somehow inferred that Rochford was going to be involved then that's serious bad form,Flynn not the nicest guy by all accounts anyway.

Also the alleged connection between Rochford and Roscommon is a complete fabrication,he never even spoke to them and they never even tried to contact him.

Its absolutely mad how these rumours start and grow legs.

I think you’re on the money about Bernard.

Post edited by Blackjack on

Why do you think they will only get two seasons? Horan got 8 goes at it and Rochford got 3 remember?

Edit: corrected mistake on the duration of Rochfords term!

Post edited by muddle84 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

No way will it be kept quite until half 7 tomorrow evening

Was at the league final earlier, another v good game between 2 teams that'll probably be there or there abouts at the end of the championship. Castlebar were excellent in the first half, looked like they'd run away with it, they were moving the ball very quickly and took virtually all their chances. Heneghan & McHugh were v good in particular. We on the other hand moved the ball v slowly up the pitch and were v wasteful with the chances we had.

2nd half was a different story once we made a few subs, who all contributed massively. Once we got level, it looked like there'd only be one winner and in truth, we had a couple of good chances that we didn't take. Pearse Ruttledge, Adam Naughton and the McHales were v good I thought.

Fair play to castlebar though, after having been on the back foot for long periods, they managed to stay in touch every time we edged ahead and worked a great score to win it. I'd say both teams will be happy enough with a run out like that to prep for championship.

Looking forward to the championship now

Rochie got 16,17,18 so that's 3 rather than 4 by my understanding.

Ya, appointed in late 2015 on a three year contract.

It'll be interesting to see how Castlebar bring this forward into the Championship. Haven't seen them at all this year but they've been playing some great football from reports and you sense that they're building momentum. But at the same time, I think they might have had a bit more focus on the league than most others.

Would you/anyone fancy their chances?

Sorry,My mistake, still though, why do you think this next one will only get 2 years? Is that what's on offer or is that TBD?

• Advertisement

I don't know the terms, maybe as they seem to be self financed 2 years is all they could committ to?

Anyone have the skinny on the latest rumours and conjecture on who is to be ratified tonight?

I would be surprised if it was only 2 years. Rochford got 3, Horan got 4... It would be a jump back to 2 and not the best endorsement of the candidate if only 2 years were given.

All the rumours I've heard about who is to be ratified is the same name! That doesn't mean it's true though of course!

The only other rumour i heard is a certain someone is financially backing Dempsey. If that's true i can't see i'm getting anywhere near the job as the county board will not want anything to do with him!

Will there be a press release tonight after the county board meeting?

Yeah I have no insight or info on the term length,I'm only speculating.

• Advertisement

If it’s Dempsey that had the financial backing from a certain someone then I’d imagine it’s McStays job now. I can’t see the CB allowing that fellow anywhere near things. Hard to blame them given his behaviour on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

Even if he had, he should have kept his mouth shut, but he can't seem to help himself. Also, you wonder if he would want a say in the running of the team. I doubt he would stay quiet. He should have no influence on any decisions made by a manager. He probably thinks it's like the premiership.

So from reading the last few comments I'm guessing the rumour is Dempseys ticket was being bankrolled by that toxic pr1ck in London?

I hadn't heard that but if true then not a chance that ticket would be given the job and rightly so.(not a reflection on Ray's ticket as he's put together a very good team)

If that's true then surely Dempsey knew he was taking a huge risk / basically killing his chances... If it's the obvious backer I'm thinking of.

I had heard he had no issues with backers. I would be very surprised if he took such a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Doesn't make sense but that's the rumour. V bad judgement if true.

Yes, but no other candidate will ever get the chance again (for the record though, Rochford was only in charge for 3 seasons - didn't get a 4th for some reasons that still aren't clear). There are many who believe that Horan (for all the good he did for us, and for which I will always be grateful) should not have come back or definitely should have gone after the final defeat in 21. That game, followed by this years league final and the way the Championship went, were a big turning point. From talking to plenty of people since the final last year, for the first time in a decade, belief is beginning to waiver and patience has run out. The new candidate may get a 3 year contract, but you can guarantee that their will be a review after 2 years (possibly every year) and if they don't have delivered the big prize in the first two, they won't get a third chance. It's a new landscape now. I'm sure plenty will disagree, but that's what I'm hearing from anyone I've talked to over the past while.

A lot of rumours been posted over the past few days by a number of posters, but no links so will leave those be. Here's a link to one though: https://twitter.com/TimOLeary1977/status/1561443399017721856

Now, personally, I seriously doubt he has any contacts in the County Board at this point and would be shocked if any candidate accepted any financial backing or support in any form from him as his presence in toxic within the current County Board (and to a lot of the county in general). If anyone did, I would seriously question their judgement and how much they are in touch with the goings on in the county (I think we can all agree that it's been very much public knowledge, mainly thanks to one parties public announcements).

I would go a step further back and say that I doubt there's a hope in hell that Dempsey would have even considered it for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Still think Dempsey wil get it ahead of Mcstay but may be proven wrong in a few hours .

My instinct is telling me it’s Dempsey, purely because it’s being announced earlier than expected. Give Knockmore the chance to get a succession plan in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Dempsey if not given the job will get another bite at it. McStay will not get another chance/will not go again.... considering the last venture he made into the interview process.... this says he really wants it. I think he deserves a shot after all the stuff he went through. He has a decent ticket with him as well.

Also, If they were looking at succession and playing out the next couple of years - the plan could be McStay with Dempsey to come in after. I would be surprised if McStay is not given the nod even if Mchale seems to tarnish the McStay ticket with certain people but let them suck it up as we have no all ireland after all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement