Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remember they arrested a few Islamists for the fires in Crimea, it would be interesting to see exactly what's being actually reported, considering Belgorod has been attacked multiple times and yet no real reaction from russian civilians despite the mother land being under attack,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Islamists could be an excuse for pulling entirely out of Syria. They may need those troops. Not sure if it's just spec ops left there.

If Biden approves the atacms missile in the next delivery to Ukraine,that bridge would not stay there for long

At the ranges they are currently hitting its a possibility they already have some or similar not all of these strikes are from HiMars

• Registered Users Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Testing a tank especially built to size for Putin to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Add the 18th to that

If true, desperation

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/status/1560341505327484928

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Maybe not, but plenty of ammunition inside though...so still a good hit.

Its a possibility,but if its a homemade missile,i doubt they have many of them,so i guess a few atacms wont hurt to make russian soldiers lifes even more miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Importantly, the machine died. A few savages scratching their heads, their day is coming.

I doubt it very much that Russian want to drag NATO into the war...they have so far studiously avoided any action that might trigger NATO involvement, because it would be suicidal for them. NATO could seriously degrade Russian war capabilities in a matter of days, to the extent that as a fighting force, they would be finished, And that in turn might well be the straw that broke the camels back, or to put it another way, Putin launches his oft threatened Nuclear strikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The wind tomorrow from the plant would be blowing over Turkey.

Even after, the furthest west it travels is over Romania.

I wouldn't put it past that there's some Turkish involvement in these attacks in the south of Crimea.

Looks like there's being maximum damage done today and tonight...in case tomorrow.

Oh I wager it's not a HiMars if its not got a warhead. Easy way around stuff if you want to think outside the box.

Yes, but with Ukraine, he inadvertly bit off more than he could chew..his plan was based on false information. And now he is on a hook he can't wriggle off of.

WOW.....I wonder what has changed with them so. Russian reporting is notoriously economic with the truth, and especially when it comes to military setbacks. Unless of course, they will use it to back up their claim that they are defending Russians from the Ukrainian Nazis and NATO and the West in general. But at this stage will the Russian public still believe them? Or have doubts steadily been creeping in for more and more Russians, and not just the one's who have lost family members to Putins madness?

Desperation maybe trying to tap into nationalism. Cant see White Muscovites swallowing that though. As long as its people from poor areas who they don't care about they will blame them for loosing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They are a bit more sparse on details compared to the Western media, but the explosions at Belgorod for example have been reported, so the Russian public are aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SemenInMyEyes

Reports that the Kerch bridge is closed due to Ukrainian attacks. Hopefully through. Still waiting for more sources to report it though. Obviously a major blow to Russia if true.

Obviously wait for more sources.

https://www.intellinews.com/suspected-ukrainian-attacks-force-closure-of-crimean-bridge-connected-to-russia-253774/

I remember early on in this discussion saying that Ukraine could well and truly give putin a bloody nose, but it's like he's been dragged into a bears cave and he's being played with and wondering when he's going to be finally eaten , surely the Serbians who are being baited by Russia to be kick off with Kosovo must be looking on and thinking if things kick off Russia isn't coming to save them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

If the Russians are getting their arses handed to them as reported today it's when Putin is most likely to do something crazy. Hopefully tomorrow doesn't bring awful news for the European continent.

• Advertisement

Could well be. Now going to be logical and cold here just be aware.

I think the biggest thing they could do is drop a few thermobaric weapons on Kyiv take out most of the city. Then leave Entirely. To send a message. They are conventional but I would put them in the same class as nukes. The only question is do they have them and can they get them to the target. They can claim victory then as They take out the Pres and most of the Government. Special operation done.

No offence meant in this post. I want Ukraine to boot them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SemenInMyEyes

I feel we are entering the next phase of the war. Russia will be pushed back. I just cannot see them holding any ground while Ukraine is getting so much aid and the whole western world is against Putin. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for NATO to destroy the adversary it was created to protect against and I am sure that while the war is not in the news as much Russia will be ground down to collapse.

Well there is always kinetic energy if you can make it go faster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I've been pondering the impact of potentially destroying the Kerch bridge and taking it out permanently.

First, if the Kerch bridge was hit badly enough to need extensive repairs, I get the impression that unless Russia can machine and install the parts themselves, they might not have the means to actually make repairs. The Soviet Union could have done it, but I'm not so sure about the modern Russian Federation.

If the bridge is out for good, then they need to go back to using boats to cross the Kerch Strait. Assuming they haven't already dismantled the ports that used to handle that traffic, all land transport will have to go to Crimea via ships, creating a massive bottleneck in their military & logistics traffic.

I feel this would have 2 impacts, in particular to the Kherson front:

The first is logistical. Kherson was invaded via Crimea and is likely still supplied via Crimea. They have a "land-bridge" to Russia via Southern Ukraine and Donbas, but this route lacks a direct rail link. The rail links into Donbas would have to be rebuilt or built from scratch. The only direct(-ish) rail link is via Crimea and the Kerch Bridge. Loosing the bridge would make supplying the Russians there all the more difficult. They could have the option of airlifts into Crimea, but you'd need several plane loads to match a cargo train, and even then you still need to use trucks to get that stuff up to Kherson. What little material the Russians had for that fight will probably fall to beyond critical levels.

The second impact would be morale, or more importantly, the sense that they always had the option to retreat to Russia proper if things got too bad. There's a real possibility of Russians getting trapped on the Right Bank of the Dniper and within Kherson if Ukraine can make the 2 only crossings in that area useless. But worse still, you can add the idea that even if they retreat into Crimea and are chased there by a successfully advancing Ukraine, they are going to feel the need to scramble for an airlift or to that bottleneck at the Kerch ferry port. The possible panic of these situations would descend into absolute chaos. It could turn into a rout of a scale unseen since the Korean War.

This is all assuming that Ukraine can damage the Bridge badly enough and that Russia will not have the means to repair it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "the Serbians being baited by Russia to be kick off with Kosovo" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭josip

Why do you think Russia wouldn't be able to repair the bridge? Russia built it, not the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union baulked at the idea of building it due to Spring ice flows I think. Although Russia is impacted by current sanctions, I would imagine they still have the ability to repair the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are in discussions about the current tensions but it is somewhere where NATO will step in, so any alleged Russian provocations are probably very wide of the mark. Serbia also wants to be in the EU and they backed the UN vote on the Russian invasion back in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Might well take a while , and depending on which spans of the bridge were to be damaged it might well block or slow ship traffic through the Kerch straits altogether ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

It's a hypothetical possibility. Which would depend a lot on how damaged the bridge is, how much technical knowledge the Russians have for the type of repair needed, and critically what resources are needed for the repair. Pre-sanctions Russia had still access to most of what they needed to run such a project, but the current Russian situation might get to a point where they can't take on a Mega-Project like this one. That's not to say that they still can't now, but time might make this increasingly difficult for them.

Also add the possibility of a repair effort also being attacked. That danger was much less when they built the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems like shooting the bridge is part of a strategy to isolate the troops trapped on the Ukraine side of the Dnipro. The '10000 bee sting' approach shown last night might just be there to ratchet up the pressure, via the Russian people, who may actually be hearing about this. I'd expect lots of activity in Crimea through the weekends. And the orcs will commit more atrocities since it's all they've got.

Interesting summary in the Torygraph of all places. Paywalled so archive.ph link

Russia leaves 20,000 soldiers stranded in tactical withdrawal to the east

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement