Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1995 Divorce referendum 50.3 % voted Yes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If 1995 had been a No result (it very nearly was) what effect would that have had on attitudes and culture in subsequent years. If 95 was No and the referendum was held now, result would be Yes but hard to give a percentage without rewriting history.

I watched that RITY for the umpteenth time tonight and the part that stood out was about Playboy magazine finally being uncensored and the head of the Rape Crisis Centre unhappy about it. And this was 1995 when the internet was starting to take off - LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

We've really progressed alright, back when you could make a phone call and you have accomoation for college, a great night life, now it's considered violence if you don't call some people by their preferred pronouns and they can change it as often as the like.

Back when being gay or bi had an edge to it and nobody really cared what way you were orientated. Back when the local paper seller who loved his flamboyant liberty and was accepted, nobody batted an eyelid he was selling newspaper's in Ennis and we all respected and loved good ol'e Michael Tierney.

Back when there was no Blue haired social justice warriors and their mood swings. Back when myself and my friends were cool and probably we're considered progressive now the people who call themselves left of center all half baked fruit cakes .

Back when we had the ecco warrior's who camped out in tree's in the glen of the downs and had something to protest about.

Rave's out in the open, disco bar's, nightclubs, when we had refugees and nobody batted an eyelid. When there wasn't any racism.

We've progressed all right lol

Post edited by bad2thebone on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Yaeh true, but it was more fun tbh.

Sex was sooooooo Taboo , getting the ride was like escaping reality for 9 or 10 seconds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Every organization including the Catholic Church has rules and regulations that members must adhere to. As far as I’m concerned complaining about the Catholic Church not allowing members to remarry is the same as complaining about a golf club not allowing non members playing on their course - just plain dumb.

Expecting any religion to accept you as a member will allowing you to pick and choose the rules will comply with is not going to happen. And why a grown adult would want to pretend to be a member is difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

But the reality is that very few, if any, catholics follow all the rules.

• Advertisement

Never miss an opportunity for an aul bash at the gubbrmint there why don't ya?

Some people manage to correlate the FFFG with everything( it sounds like an acronym for 90's communist autocracy 😂 ).

You will be blaming them for the fact that your shight stinks next?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

There are parts of the country you still can't get broadband :-)

Granted you can't get Playboy in the same parts either.

Friend of mine was working in a pharmacy in 2018, up in rural Donegal installing a security system and had to walk outside so not to laugh out loud in front of their customer (the pharmacist) , when he told a tourist that they didn't stock condoms because their mother didn't want them in their store.

So why bother complain about their rules? If one wants to be a member be a member, but people complaining because an organization won’t play along and let them pretend to be a member…..

I'm not complaining about the rules at all, just pointing out that following all the rules isn't really a requirement.

• Advertisement

More the fact that you are affected by the organisations rules even when you aren't a member, especially around schools.

Politicians don’t get elected by magic, they reflected the views of the majority of the voters and still do. Attempting to detach the elected representatives from the people that elected them just does not fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

No but they're meant to try to do what Jesus asked and then repent, which means acknowledging that you fell short but you're still willing to try or at least you aren't pretending that you didn't fall short.

Here is the Bible passage where the religious experts tell Jesus that divorce is allowed according to the rules and his response:

Matthew 19 NIV

"3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’ 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given.”"

Note a couple of things:

A divorce at this time is a woman being "sent away" by her husband (into poverty?). Grim.

Jesus' disciples are massively nonplussed and even soured on marriage altogether from the sounds of it.

Jesus says that a lot of people won't be able to accept it. It's not a "small ask" IOW.

Lol some of us were actually rebellious and did the opposite, apart from the odd now recovering atheist banging on about the church and religion some of us were heathens from a young age. Gave the finger to the church back in 1987 , at Halloween we'd egg the parochial house. We nicknamed the local cannon the rocket launcher. Aul cnut, miserable bastard.

People will tell you that the church had a grip on us, did they fck. Nothing funnier than having a laugh in church and walking out in knot's laughing. Or the priest asking the youths at the back could they please leave because they're disturbing the congregation.

Back when there was no contraception lol you're joking right you'd regularly see a rubber johnny on the road even during the 80's . The Pink elephant in Limerick was an open gay bar along with Loafer's in Cork. You had incognito the gay sauna in Dublin and a few other bar's catering for the gay community. Sometimes we'd drop in for a pint, especially in Loafer's in Cork as it was near a friend's house off Douglas Street.

Many bishops, priests and nuns must have spent a lot of time in confession so.

I'm not well versed on the bible, but the church was always against divorce. Catholics should be virgins until married, women were once told it was their duty to have sex with their husbands, that sex should only be procreation etc., yet very few catholics follow that.

There are calls for change, and I assume they will eventually come slowly, for self-preservation if nothing else.

We've gone well off topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And ordinary people wanted the raping of a spouse legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

FFFG were in power. Who else was to blame for rape being legal? They and their coalition partners like Labour passed the laws. They allowed legalised rape and the RC gulags.

But fair play to you. Deflect from the collusion with human rights abuses.

Most people would be ashamed of trying to defend that. Most.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,016 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of those laws were old British ones (that the Brits dumped decades before we did), and I think you'll find Labour trying to get rid of them many decades before FF/FG were willing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I would say in this day and age you would be hard pressed outside some kind of Religious fundamentalists it would be close to 100% voted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

In 1992 the Bishop Casey story broke, same year as the X case, not long after, the Brendan Smyth controversy happened. In the same year as the divorce referendum Fr. Ted made its debut, did the success of that show and those scandals make the church irrelevant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

1995 was a sea change in how Ireland saw the the Catholic church.

It was the start of a long downhill journey where the stranglehold of the Catholic church in society was loosened to a situation today where it has little power over people's everyday lives and is rightfully now a choice people make rather than something forced down your throat.

Funny, 1995 was also the year Fr Ted started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Hello Divorce... Bye Bye Daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I think it is also relevant that the RCC child sex abuse scandals started to be revealed around that period.

I am not sure if rape has ever been legalised in Ireland. But I have no doubt if it ever was, it was long before either party was ever conceived.

I think dragging Dick Spring n Co in here, to your petty malign, is scrape the bucket stuff. I would imagine a gormless leftie like yourself may have found a sneak of Irish Pride in voting for the Labour party when it actually mattered?

But hanging onto to a suggestion that any previous Irish government were somehow impiously complicit in the promotion of poor legislation in relation to the tackling of domestic rape, is really embellishing your ignorance on the topic? I would ask you to take a genuine interest in this country, its' laws, their implementation and the process surrounding that.... before you decide to retrospectively throw your fingers at erroneous suggestions of guilt on former governments' approach to the Irish justice system?

For starters, most gov TD's of any significance in the early 90's were balls deep in trying to develop a democratic process, which might enable 800,000 irish people in the six counties have a wince of a future... something that your average modern leftie fails to ever rationalise? Don't forget that the majority of the leaders you seem to have pedestalled as being the " future" of this country, were either locked up, on the run or incapable of having their malignant diatribe from being broadcast on any legal medium apart from an inauspicious black and white rag sold in pubs during holy hour.

So whilst you reckon they might just have the potential to make your shight smell like roses, I would implore you to investigate the smell of the stuff pouring out of your mind, it stinks for sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Waffle waffle waffle surprised you didn't drop in a few woke this and woke that's here and there.

When was this magic time when there was no racism?

You don't specify a time frame in your post.

In all honesty I don't remember racism back in the 90's , here in Ireland people accepted refugees and people who brought different skills and abilities here to share in work places. Aerospace in Shannon had a lot of different nationalities. They mingled with the locals down the local pub, Africans,South American ie latino's, Chileans, guy's from Morocco, Russians etc

Then we had the industrial estate and airport and people from all over the world settling down in Shannon working locally. Friends in primary school in the 80's from different ethnicity backgrounds.

Ennis brought in loads of refugees from Nigeria in the early 90's they all settled in quite easily and got into the swing of Irish culture.

Co Clare is an example of zero racism, it's an unique county due to the airport, industrial estate and aeronautical engineering industry.

Luckily I inherited that awareness from an early age. Actually I've noticed it's people on the far left who are more racist and obsessed with race difference. Undermining people who are quite happy with their lot and telling them they deserve better. People find their way and we all have to struggle through life and build up our confidence. Instilling fear and telling people they're different and they have to fight to get noticed is a tactic of covert racism. I've observed this from so called liberals, telling people they're special when in reality we're all just people making a life for ourselves.

There was a time when someone of a different ethnicity arrived in a local town, village or any locality and they got the céad mile fáilte and slainte.

I grew up in the 80's and came of age in the 90's and the racism was rapant and socially acceptable.

Gollybars golly wog teddy bears, minstrels on the teabags.

My 10 to 12 year old black and Asian friend referred to openly as darkies and sand **** by fully grown men always with a hint of aggresion and naked hatred behind it.

In no way is the present times in Ireland more racist. Its just now old racist **** get openly called out on their disgusting beliefs.

You're a gas man. Ireland has got nothing but more accepting of "others" over time. Just think for a second what the Catholic Church was teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I'd agree with most of your post but I don't think that Shannon has zero racism. There's racism everywhere in the world not just white on black etc. But yeah, Shannon was and is very multicultural and generally people just get on with each other and live and let live. Growing up here with people from all corners of the world I just took it for granted and never gave it a second thought. Tbh, the kids coming in from 'the country' to school on the buses every day had a much tougher time having the piss ripped out of them. It was the same with homosexuality, it didn't really get much of a mention pre 90's. Sure, there were the usual nasty jokes but none of the LGBT issues got discussed at all really. Nobody that I went to school with was out.

It was only when I'd left school and was working with some gay folks that it even occurred to me to wonder if I'd been at school with anyone who was gay. Looking back there are a few people that probably are and they left town soon after finishing school. It makes me feel sad that they couldn't be themselves and went through all of those years hiding who they are. People under the age of 40 really don't have a clue what it was like to live in Ireland back in those days. I think a lot of people who voted NO did so out of fear. There would have been a lot of women in unhappy marriages who were financially dependent on their husbands to raise their kids and were probably only holding on until the kids left home. That sounds bad but people do what they do to survive. There was also a hell of a lot of shame around divorce and not really any supports for women.

Advertisement