Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

you've got a house and a car, you've got all kinds of food on the table, you're going out for pints and take away coffees etc. This is most people's lives in Ireland. It's rich af compared to most people on the planet. Honestly you need to get out and see a bit of the world if you think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

And people have worked hard to get to that position.

Honestly the pontificating going on here is a bit much.

people work hard all over the world, you are lucky that you were born in a super rich country like Ireland. You could be working your absolute bollocks off in some poor country and still be dirt poor. Check your privilege lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Because you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem, and it is in our interests to be part of the solution, and to be pushing towards a sustainable future and not dragging our heels

Ireland has .1% of the population, but far more than .1% of global influence. What we do matters.

So I’m privileged because I’m born in Ireland- a choice that was out of my control?

Do you want me to feel guilty for working hard and paying my mortgage and helping to keep a roof over my families head while providing an education for my kids 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I actually had no idea what she is saying or trying to do. Seems to be a common green trait to talk in riddles

checking your privilege isn’t the same as feeling guilty

Yes you are 100% privileged by being born in Ireland. No one's telling you to feel guilty either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

James Carville, Bill Clinton strategist in 1992, had a quote that covers that. "It`s the economy stupid".

Fcuk up the economy and all of that quickly goes away. Even if we have forgotten that, the real major global emitters have not when it comes to protecting theirs.

Ok.

Im privileged for being born and living in Ireland.

What exactly is it you want me to do about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What are you doing in the UK then, jet hopping Dublin-London on a regular basis while pontificating to the rest of us to cut our C02 emissions.

Get up the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I looked her up according to Wikipedia she has an PHD in Equine studies and lives on a farm with her husband breeding horses. Maybe she knows what shes talking about or maybe the papers are miss reporting it or maybe it's green equine sh1t

At this stage it would not surprise me if it is a Green plan to replace cars and lorries with horse drawn buggies and carts, but more than likely Pippa looking out for her own set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Is that the same person whos mate could not afford to heat the horses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Good are we gonna farm them for meat? Chantal is supposed to be nice and widely available in France

When there is no realistic solution and the green solution is worst then the problem its time to pause reflect and repent or in Ireland case start burning coal , gas , turf anything that will keep our arses warmed this winter when the wind stops blowing and the sun don't shine.

They want us back in the 1800s travelling by horse and cart and living of the land. The head of the ifa ripped her apart on the radio earlier basically asked are we meant to eat the horse or ride it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Threat of tea-time blackouts and price rises if peak-time electricity use does not fall

It blames the situation on: “the closure of large electricity generation units, the failure of new contracted generation to deliver, an accelerated degradation of the existing fleet as it responds to intermittent wind generation, and significant demand growth across a number of sectors of the economy”.

Now its blame the customer using too much electricity in order to cover green policy mistakes, while at the same time green policy is customers use more electricity.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

If it is then with the money the state is paying that pair it will take some hell of an a pile of taxpayers money to incentivise farmers to switch from raising cattle to raising horses with the price of heating these days.

Maybe she just means Shetland ponies. Hardy little devils that would not need heated accommodation and we could sell them to Germany for their coal mines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I’ve eaten it, it’s quite good, Chevron is better though imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Scratch the green skin and the veneer of red authoritarianism quickly comes to the surface. Committees established to determine if your produce is allowed on the supermarket shelves.

F**k me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I'm anti Green but the poster has a point. Why I shop in Lidl for example if it's not there for the weekly shop and I'm really hankering for something I will go to another shop to get it. But you Really need to look into the shelves and fridges. If there only stocking an item with 5 of them available there obviously not sellers. Food im not to fussy about the choice people are offered. But stuff like toothpaste why do we need 50 kinds. Mouthwash same. Take toothpaste for example there is nothing stopping them having a dispenser you having a refillable tube. It's not like people would be allergic to the formula. There are little things that can make a lot of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

Greens have no understanding of the economy. Worse, they have no real understanding of where "stuff" comes from. Energy is the currency of existence. The Greens want you to have less of it because, basically, humanity is a stain on the planet and doesn't deserve to exist. They're a Manichean cult. I can think of no other way to explain their single-minded commitment to unworkable policies and refusal to consider options that don't pass their ideological purity tests. The more I read this thread the more I am convinced of it.

You are quite seriously suggesting we spend €125 billion as our first installment on a "solution" that will have zero impact on climate change, because you agree with Eamon Ryan that our first priority is to be a "global leader". How can you be a global leader on climate change when you are doing nothing to alleviate it? It's a purely performative display that will impress nobody except the already deluded choir being preached to. The mind literally boggles at the hubris, not to mention the callousness toward the people who are going to suffer as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭ginger22

and after all the hype and the proposed investment the potential reduction in co2 emissions is only 2.6% Green hydrogen in Ireland could create thousands of jobs, report says

By Eoin Cuttle On August 11, 2022

The deployment of green hydrogen at scale in Ireland could attract considerable foreign investment, lead to the creation of thousands of secure jobs and solidify the country’s status as a hub for renewable energy.

That’s according to a new White Paper by representative body Hydrogen Mobility Ireland, which issued a number of recommendations on how the deployment of hydrogen across transport could propel Ireland’s transition to net-zero in both transport and the wider economy.

The publication follows the Government’s decision to open a public consultation on the development of a national strategy for green hydrogen.

HMI’s report says that hydrogen has the capacity to fully eliminate CO2 emissions from heavy goods vehicles on our roads.

The deployment of hydrogen across the wider transport network would reduce Ireland’s carbon emissions by 2.6 per cent by 2030, it claims.

It adds that the production of green hydrogen would diversify Ireland’s energy supply, providing enhanced energy security.

The report goes on to state how the progress of other European countries can provide a useful template for Ireland to develop its own strategy for the deployment of green hydrogen across public and private transport.

Both France and Portugal have allocated €7 billion to hydrogen production projects, while Germany has allocated €8 billion of funding as part of its own national hydrogen strategy.

In addition, the UK has granted £30 million for the manufacturing of 124 fuel cell buses in Birmingham, and has introduced an £11.2 million Government grant to develop low-cost hydrogen fuel cell technology for buses.

Minister for the Environment Eamon Ryan and Jonathan Hogan, business manager at Hydrogen Mobility Ireland.

According to the report, an investment proportional to Ireland’s size and commuter population would allow for 6,000 hydrogen-fuelled vehicles on the road by 2030.

“Given that Ireland will be legally mandated to advance a network of hydrogen refuelling stations along its major motorways as per forthcoming EU legislation, the time for action and implementation is now,” the report says.

Jonathan Hogan, business manager at Hydrogen Mobility Ireland commented: “HMI’s policy papers show that the production of green hydrogen at scale, will facilitate Ireland in reducing its carbon emissions across transport and other industries, while creating significant opportunities for regional employment and boosting the green economy.

“The sooner that we implement a national hydrogen strategy, the sooner we will transition away from fossil fuels, towards a low carbon economy.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The political system is broke in my opinion. Theres some of them that should of been fooked out on their head ages ago due to incompetence and shady crap. But no. That's not how modern politics works in good old Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It seems you have this dehumanised understanding of 'greens' who have 'no understanding'

It might be worthwhile to take a step back and re-evaluate how 'greens' think. It's all about perspective.

Who's pontificating to anyone? How do you know I'm "jet hopping" around anyway?

So anything that isn't unfettered capitalism is communism right. I bet farmers would have no problem stopping imports of some products to Ireland and Europe, but that wouldn't be communism at all for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

A new business lobby group called Hydrogen Mobility Ireland whose business model is the same as Wind energy Ireland and Irish solar energy association, that is to milk the contract for difference (CFDs) scheme. ( see HMIs white paper)

Contract for Differences Mechanism

Market prices can be volatile, which presents risks to a generator. Contracts for difference imposed by governments mitigate this risk. They work by offering generators a guaranteed price. This price is negotiated between the generator and government and is known as the ‘strike price’. When the generator is producing power, and the market price is below the negotiated strike price the government will make up the difference between market price and strike price. When the opposite is true, and the market price is above the strike price, and generator will sell at market price and pay the difference between strike price and market price back to the government.

<snip>

However, Ireland’s renewable power costs to date (for example a strike price of €98 per MWh in the 2022 RESS auction) are higher than those experienced elsewhere in Europe.

source

I suggest that anyone thinking about green hydrogen be familiar with the second law of thermodynamics, and the diamond/water paradox, how much water will be needed and where this purified water is coming from. Don't we need fresh water for other purposes? And before you say it, if you electrolyse salt (NACL) water, you get large amounts of highly toxic chlorine . . .

One industry source told Oilprice that the production of one ton of hydrogen through electrolysis required an average of nine tons of water. But to get these nine tons of water, it would not be enough to just divert a nearby river. The water that the electrolyser breaks down into constituent elements needs to be purified.

The hydrogen economy has been floating around since the 1970s (US president Nixon, 1973 oil crisis), but the use of hydrogen is confined to industrial processes.

90 million metric tons of hydrogen are used each year to produce ammonia for fertilizer, and in oil refining to reduce the sulphur content of diesel fuel. A very small amount is also used in steel production as an iron ore reducing agent alongside carbon monoxide. In other words, almost no hydrogen is used in power, transport, home heating, shipping, rail, aviation or other widely discussed use cases. And: practically all hydrogen is created via steam reformation of fossil fuels (grey hydrogen), with less than 1% created via electrolysis using renewable energy (green hydrogen). Hydrogen is not a native energy source, it’s an energy carrier: ~2% of global primary energy is converted into hydrogen each year, a level roughly unchanged since the year 2000.

source (JP Morgan, worth a read)

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Advertisement