Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Torc Brewing website is down. I noticed that their stock was limited recently, perhaps some new beers are coming on stream for the Xmas rush

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Surely you can understand why a recent start-up based in Dublin would apply a bigger mark-up than an inherited family business in Cork? If a product is cheaper elsewhere, buy it elsewhere. Heart of Chambers is €5.40 from Yards & Crafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A new low with the latest White Hag Clann box. The single 330 guest beer from Croatia was nice. Two Atlantean 440s, I like. Two 440 Magic Mist are OK. Rest of the dozen was filled with bland low ABV core range crap 330s - Little Fawn is overpriced at 2.50 a can in the local offy but I'm paying well over €3 each for this. If I never see a can of 4% taste-lacking Phantom again it'll be too soon. A (surprisingly taste-free compared to previous batches, and super-low ABV) Puca and two decent, but overpriced, Ninth Waves made up the box.

Not even a crappy bad stout they couldn't flog 🤣 ffs even last month's underwhelming selection was leavened by an excellent Black Boar.

I feel like a right mug. Support craft beer - I gladly will but they're not supporting me, they're ripping the piss to be honest.

I certainly will not be renewing and this exploitation of their most loyal customers puts me right off buying even the beers I like from them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Biscuit80

Unfortunately I have to agree with all of this - a very disappointing month from them. Particularly when the box is almost 3 weeks late and in the email explaining the delay, we were told that "...the extra wait will be worth it, promise!"

It definitely doesn't feel worth it to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

How can you be disappointed when this is what you should expect from them. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Lads, have ye written to them to complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shank Williams

I’m done gambling with the crap- Kinnegar all the way for me now- Scraggy on tap is nectar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I don't get the appeal of buying unseen random beers, some of which I may not like, style-wise. My preference is still to visit the offy, or to put together an order of stuff I know I'll like online, maybe throw in one or two new-to-me beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Same as that, I don't get the appeal at all. The potential for lots of styles I don't want and the cost is usually off putting too. Had a friend who was gifted a subscription and he had loads he didn't bother with as they were sours, gose etc which he'd never drink. For me, White Hags quality has dropped a fair bit in the last few years too. However, I did like the two sours they had last year all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

How does it hit the pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The covid online beer boxes/ virtual "festivals" really opened my eyes to other styles. Either new to me styles, or styles I'd had one example of that I didn't like and never brought again.

Now I'd be more open to grabbing something interesting in an off licence/ into an online cart, but I don't know would I have been without that random stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Bran and Sceolan (in seriously short supply) and Fionn are the 2 White Hag Brews I really like. Atlantean and Ninth Wave are fine. Little Fawn too if I'm in the mood.

But yeah, Phantom and Magic Mist are very disappointing.

I've never bought any of there subscriptions or surprise boxes.

During lockdown they were brilliant. I'll still buy a box of my favourites when in stock. Especially during bank holiday promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I complained on Twitter, will that do? 😁 I even @'ed them 🤣

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Ok, that's a use-case all right, but I'm drinking craft beer long enough now to know yes, I like stouts but not milk stouts, I love IPAs but not ones so cloudy they're as murky as custard, I enjoy the occasional sour or geuze but only the one in a night, and I still never want to drink lager unless I've been very active and/or it's over 28 degrees outside, so getting a few in a box is a complete waste for me.

Black Boar is one of my all time favourite beers, and the the barrel aged one I love even more. Fionn is decent as well, but I'll always pick To Ol #DIPA over it, if it's available. A lot of there other ones I don't bother with.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Personally I'd always contact the brewers privately to give them a chance to reply, doing so publicly just puts them on the back foot as they're unlikely to satisfy you when you've already taken the nuclear option.

Recently I had a few issues with a delivery from another Irish Brewery, only half delivery arrived, other half was smashed in transit apparently. I emailed and there was still a long delay but when it did arrive there were 8 free cans and a bottle opener in the box. Doubt that would have happened if I'd gone on twitter to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

+1 for the email method, similarly our order was delayed and when queried the blame was laid at the feet of the delivery company breaking the bottles... According to the email they compensated the brewery with extra cash so the brewery used that cash to send us an extra case

I was happy with the result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭dakar

I’ve had a very good customer service experience with an incorrect delivery from White Hag (24 regular Bran and Sceolan delivered instead of the Brett special). Their email response was immediate and the situation was resolved, I kept the 24 regular and they sent out 12 Brett for next day delivery.

This is obviously completely different from being disappointed with the contents of a subscription box, but I’d definitely fire them an email. As a small business owner, I’d much rather hear when a customer is unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭pauly58

My son signed me up for a three month subscription from an online company, 99% of which was undrinkable & was poured down the sink.

One "beer" had black pepper, coriander & orange peel in, disgusting.

A lot of it was just poor brewing practice, bottling when it wasn't ready. I've home brewed for fourty years, full grain, & I've poured better than these beers away.

I'm all for supporting top quality breweries but I haven't found one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Best thing can ever happen is to get the wrong beer. It's cheaper to let you keep it than take it back.

Now I don't want to see a craft brewery out of pocket but loved when the big breweries made this mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Are you saying that Ireland does not have any top quality breweries?

You've never had a well made beer from an Irish brewery??

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Theres always one amateur out there who knows better sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Tinter Box

Can agree on emailing the brewery. Had a similar experience with whiplash who made an error in the order. I Emailed them and got the missing beer next day and a “big bag of cans” bag.

Guiness Foreign Extra Stout is fine, but no, out of the dozens I've tried, they're poor.

Sorry but true.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I just realized I've been drinking beer for fifty years. I don't like hops such as Cascade & Liberty, much prefer Goldings, Fuggles & Challenger.

Trying to explain to young lads is like telling them modern curries aren't a patch on what was available in the seventies, a Vindaloo then is not the same as what is available now. I can only state the Irish craft beers I've had are horrible. When you open the crown cap on a pale ale & it froths up out of the bottle, that's caused by bottling when it wasn't ready, no excuse. And it wasn't bottle conditioned.

I can buy Old Speckled Hen in Dunnes for €2.10, always good, consistent, that's a lot cheaper than my son paid for the beers in the subscription.

Take Shepherd & Neame's IPA, a real quality beer.

Taste is a personal thing & I guess if people are happy with what is being sold then carry on buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Bla bla bla. You are wrong about the cans and bottles and there are 100s of years of Trappist brewing to back that up. I had loads of you working in the UK if you don't like that's fine just don't order the craft or troll craft beer threads. Each to their own.

God knows what a made up English curry has to do with anything.

So what beers were you getting in the subscription? Sounds a bit odd that all craft beer is horrible, and you're the only one who has actually noticed.

• Advertisement

Now where did I say all craft beer is horrible, rather the three boxes I was given were.

Being called a troll doesn't enter into it, my opinion is as valid as anyone's.

Bunging a load of obscure ingredients into a recipe in an attempt to re-invent the wheel just doesn't work.

I'll try & explain more clearly, now if you were to go & buy an all malt 3kg kit you could make better beer than I've tasted, take the bottle of IPA we had on Sunday, it was murky, no not bottle conditioned, suggesting he either didn't boil it hard enough or for long enough. It didn't look like he achieved a hot break, which is where you coagulate the proteins & the stick together & drop down to give a clear wort. There's an ingredient called Irish Moss, actually carrageen, that helps with this. The flavour was harsh, astringent & possibly yeast bitten. There's lots of reasons for this but unless you're a home brewer it will be boring. A mouthful each & we poured it down the sink, I opened a bottle of Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout, beautifully balanced & well made.

Actually being called an amateur is good, as it's a hobby where it is possible to brew a beer as good as a large brewery. Years ago when I worked in Cork city, I knew the boys at the Franciscan Well, Russell the owner & Peter, They used to crush my malt for me before I bought my own mill & give me yeast, their beer was good. Peter rang me just after getting home one night & asked me if I'd bring some of my beer into meet a few home brewers at the Bierhaus. We sampled each others beer, they thought mine which was a Bateman's XXXB clone to be like Ruddles County, but it was was well liked, the other lad's beer's were good as well. I think Galway Hooker had just come out & we tried that & we weren't impressed.

If you are happy buying craft beers, then great, you have all the satisfaction beer drinkers look for, me I'll vote with my dollar, we put an order in yesterday for €84 to an off licence where I know for certain the beers will all be superb.

Advertisement