Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile required for PSK?

• 10-08-2022 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I occasionally purchase things online, but can no longer do so due to Strong Customer Authentication. Could I use a PSK? - I don't use internet banking nor do I have a mobile.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for your post here on Boards.ie.

You should certainly be able to use a PSK to approve your online transactions.

If you need to order a PSK you can contact our customer service desk on 0818365365 and one of my colleagues would be happy to assist you further.

Thanks, Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Davio

Hello, thanks for your response. I contacted customer service and was told that I WOULD need a mobile in order that the bank could set up a PSK for me. I was also told that I would need a mobile to use it. I don’t do online banking, nor do I have a mobile. Can you confirm that I don’t need a mobile to order or use a PSK for online transactions, please? I was always able to make payments online until recently.

Thanks for coming back to me here.

Your account would need to be registered for Banking 365. If your account isn't registered for online banking then you can call freephone 1800946156 to get set up over the phone.

If you do not use the BOI Mobile App then you can order a PSK instead which you would use to approve your online transactions.

I have provided a link below with more information on PSK's, I hope it helps.

https://bit.ly/3bPfOEJ

Thanks, Eve

I don't want to register for online banking and I don't have a mobile. Can they not just send me a PSK so that I can make a few payments online?

Hi there,

As advised in my previous post, your account would need to be registered for online banking. You do not need to use the BOI Mobile App, you would use a PSK instead of having to approve transactions via the app.

You can certainly call our customer service desk on 0818365365 and one of my colleagues can discuss this with you further.

Thanks, Eve

• Advertisement

Thanks. So I don't need a mobile or have to provide a mobile number? (I was told I'd have to provide a family member's number in order to register and I'm not willing to do this). Also, even if I'm registered for online banking nobody will be able to access my information online?

Hi there,

It would be important to have your mobile number registered on your account in case you need to receive texts with one time passcodes or to receive correspondence etc.

We would always advise customers to never share any of their online, account or card details in order to protect their account and so when you register for online you should not share any of your log in details with anyone.

You can discuss this further with one of our customer service advisors by calling the number provided in my previous post.

Thanks, Eve

But, as I've mentioned previously, I don't have a mobile. What can I do? Please read my previous posts and provide a proper answer. Thanks.

Hi there,

You can certainly discuss this further by calling our customer service desk on the number provided in my previous posts. The team can certainly offer further advice and guidance.

Thanks, Eve

O.k., so do I need a mobile? - please answer 'Yes' or 'No' as your responses aren't very clear. Thanks,

• Advertisement

How are you browsing boards Davio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi Davio,

We're sorry if you've found our responses here unclear. If you go to the link provided by Eve originally you can view detailed information on how a PSK works, boi.com/PSK, and for information on why additional steps are required when using your card online you can visit boi.com/SCA.

Although a smart phone is not required if you are using a PSK we would request a mobile phone number so the customer can be contacted by SMS if required.

We trust this clarifies your query.

Tara

So if you 'would' request a mobile number, I could give a landline instead?

Hi Davio,

As mentioned, a mobile number would be requested in order for you to receive SMS (text messages).

Tara

Well I don't have a mobile - does that mean I will no longer be able to make purchases online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

You can certainly provide us with a landline however, you would need to be aware of the following. If you don't have a mobile number this would mean we'd be unable to contact you by SMS with service updates or if an online card purchase triggers a security check. When this happens our Card Security Team will send a text asking if you recognise the transaction and to reply with Yes of No.

Tara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've a PSK and I've just checked I do have a mobile number registered in my Online Banking but in all the years I've had online banking I've never had any contact from BoI.

I can't remember if I needed the mobile to set up the PSK, don't think I did but if I did I would have had to drive up the road to get coverage and I don't remember that. Anyway the whole point of the PSK is its for people with no mobile coverage the obvious extension to that is not having a mobile phone. If BoI can't contact you at home because they only use mobile numbers that makes their system fairly stupid.

Wake me up when it's all over.

O.k., thanks I was told by a BofI agent that I HAD to have a mobile phone in order to get a PSK - you ought to make sure that all of your agents know that alternatives are available. Also, I was told that I'd have to register for online banking (which apparently also needs a mobile). I don't want to do banking online - can I get a PSK without registering for it? (or could I register and not activate the account? - I don't want people to have access to my details online and scam me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sorry afaik you do have to have online banking before a PSK will work. I can't see anyway around that?

Wake me up when it's all over.

I don't want to do banking online - can I get a PSK without registering for it? (or could I register and not activate the account? - I don't want people to have access to my details online and scam me).

• Advertisement

Hi there.

It is necessary to register for Online Banking to use the PSK.

Please see attached Get SCA ready using a PSK - Bank of Ireland Group Website and also Physical Security Key - Bank of Ireland Group Website where it is explained how the process works with a PSK.

Registering for Online Banking is safe and secure as you will have your own unique log in details that you will create as part of the process.

Only you will have access to these details.

If you need any further advice or help in regards to the the PSK or online banking please contact our colleagues on 0818200362 (option 3) between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday where our colleagues will be happy to help.

Thanks,

Declan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Best not use online shopping then. Having a mobile number is hardly such an infringement on privacy in this day-in-age. You can't have your cake and eat it twice.

Advertisement