Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get lint out of clothes?

• 18-08-2022 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Dark t-shirt somehow came out of the wash covered in those horrible white flecks known as "lint".

How to treat clothes for this?

As re-washing does nothing.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I have a little gadget called Bobble off (by JML) that I got in Argos. Its great for getting lint off. I noticed JYSk do similar ones too. I use mine a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Does it leave a sticky residue on your clothes like lint rollers do?

Apparently that makes the lint come back with a vengeance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

no, this isn't a lint roller, its battery operated. I don't think it stops it coming back though, that's going to happen with wear.

Buy JML Bobble Off Lint Remover at Argos.ie- Your Online Shop for .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It sounds like you just washed a tissue with your clothes.

Possible but I couldn't find a tissue in any pockets and this never happens with any other clothes.

I just bought this pitch dark V neck shirt, loved the color.

Then I take it out of the machine and see it's saturated with lint.

Perhaps the color is more susceptible?

Sucks though.

• Advertisement

Affordable, that's always good.

And this really gets the lint off?

This was pitch black before it came out of the machine.

You reckon it would take care of this?

Obviously I can't say for sure it will definitely work, but its worth a try! I usually use it on jumpers, but I've used it on bedsheets and cushion covers too.

You could have washed it with something that was lighter in colour and the material transferred a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A Bobble Off is basically an electric shaver for clothes. It'll remove bobbles (obvs) and big pieces of lint but it can't restore colour and that t-shirt looks faded to me. What detergent did you use? It also does look like a tissue went into the wash with it and a lint roller is the only thing that'll pick that up. I've never had one that left a sticky residue on my clothes either.

Nah sorry that was just the sunlight shining on it, it's still solidly black but the white flecks all over it are real and contribute heavily to the appearance of discoloration.

I guess something like the tissue-mixing went down without my knowing as that's clearly the issue.

So you reckon a lint roller is the only solution?

Not a conventional lint remover (scraper looking tool) or bauble remover?

I think I saw them at a decent price in homestore-and-more, or dealz?

Basically I was under the impression when you use a lint roller, the lint comes back worse the next time, but if that's not your experience I'll proceed with confidence.

• Advertisement

I use Fairy non-bio, stain remover granules "oxy action color protect" and a little fabric softener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭lucalux

Lint roller is just sticky tape on a roll. Stickier than sellotape but that would also work in a pinch.

You might have washed it with a towel or something with high pile fibres, if not a tissue.

A razor might help with stubborn lint that's been worked into the fibres of the t shirt, just make it taut on a flat surface and 'shave' it as you would anything else. Thins the fabric so dont go over areas too much

Advertisement