Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Got 20c in the last fortnight on aa's. The cartel are hungry for them at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I cannot believe how poor the thrive has been for August. The dry weather finally caught up with me. Thrive was poor enough all year there was no flush of grass this year. However the last three weeks has actually see grass disappear.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Heavy ground here and not over or understocked. Kept tipping away with grass, but no real flush of growth a few days of getting close cutting it fine. The saving grace was the heavy Dews in the morning. Only real benefit was that grass DM was high, meaning every bite was worth nearly worth 2 compared to last August, or 5 bites in a bad year ( the beast with 5 mouths in wet weather) Cattle here have done a serious thrive in the past 3 weeks, calves, yearlings and the last of the finishing group.

The extra stock killed early this year, drought and folks finishing grass cattle feeding less meal has caught up. It would be interesting to see the total KG of beef produced this year compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Had bulls in at the wknd for a dose and weigh. Very happy with how they have done this year. No real burst of grass all year but always had grass in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Other flick of it re lack of grass, is traditionally grass would be getting wet from early August on with shorter days & usually heavy rains in the month.

After grass especially running through stock. Not yet anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d say it’s more location or factory specific rather than farmer size.

Around the midlands you’ll get 20cent on Angus and 10 cent on hex no matter if you’re killing 1 or 1,001 in a year.

Lads should be putting pressure on your agents to make sure and get it for you no matter where in the country you are. And if you’re not happy with what your agent is getting for you try a different agent or different factory for a turn and see if you fare any better.

Being too loyal can do you more harm than good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

My father had horses here years ago. Thorough bred mares, half breds, even the odd pony bought at Tallow horse fair. It was an interest and never about the money. He’d sell the odd good foal or yearling at Goffs but never massive money. Enough to cover the stud fee and a few bags of oats maybe.

The horses were an excuse to travel the country, meet all sorts of characters, and have a few pints.

I don’t think any farmer could ever get into horses for the money. That’s not how it works. Unless you’re a privileged rich girl who was never exposed to the harsh realities of wondering how to pay the bills on your own.

Maybe we’ll be told next that the real niche is organic horse meat, exported to Germany?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Yes and at the ABP demo farm this year you had an ABP executive on about the decline in carcasses weight a d that they needed more cattle killing 340-380 kgs DW. I sometimes wonder will there be a market for this glut of cattle killing from October to December's in the 250-300 kg DW category. The demand was always for 7-800 pound bullocks. They are trying to shove these into the heifer market now

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭kk.man

They can't have their loaf and eat it. If they want 21 month dairy stock none of those will weigh 340kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

I think this will naturally happen. The next generation will be all part time really and will run a few, but they won't marry themselves to it like the lads they will replace.

I can see massive expansion in the dairy sector here. 57 cent a litre and anytime you talk to a dairy farmer even in their 40s or 50s they are on about upping numbers.

If they want to get the class of freisian bullock out of dairy stock finished at 24 months then they will need to go down the feedlot road and that’s not good for the animal or the environment.

Even then would a freisian bullock break 300 kilos dw at 24 months? I doubt it. And in a year where prices are bad say €3.90 a kilo you’d loose your shirt. More so at scale.

Dairy expansion will cease very rapidly. Derogation will drop to 220 kgN/ H from 250. The cow has rise to 85 is it. That will reduce stocking levels from3.8 cows/ HA to 2.5 cows/ HA.

Calves will need to be held for a months at least going forward from 10-14 days. On a 150 cow herd selling 100 calves/ years that could reducing your stocking level by two more cows. And that is if the movement limit is 4 weeks, there is a push by some countries that weaning should be considered at a minimum of six weeks. If that happens that is another two cows gone.

There was talks of the higher preforming dairy cow going to 100 kgs/ HA

Dairy farmers will need to consolidate fairly fast over the next five years

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gman1987

Cows going to 106kg N next year for anything over 6500kg of milk (circa 6300 litres), these cows have gone from 85kg N to 89kg N this year. Good few farms will be hit by this change and their will be a good few farms hit twice between the change in the N value on the cow to 106kg N and also the Derogation dropping to 220kg/HA

When you see a few hundred dairy cows grazing on a hill in a paddock in the pissing rain then that stock reduction makes sense.

Like some fellas are expanding for the hell of it. Surely steady as she goes is the right approach and not calving down 300 cows in your 50s after a hip replacement.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Doing a bit of trial here,have a batch of 10 ho x br friesian bullocks here born late January 21 that I'm planning on killing the 1st of November.. currently they are averaging 550kg ill feed them 3kg at grass till there fit and kill them as they get required fat cover,..might work or might be a waste of time but I'll do it and see,..the figures add up to do it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I heard your man from the journal talking about the net profit on their thrive calf to beef farms of €100 a head on this system. Hope you get on better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭nhg

Decided that we’d try the mart this year to see how it would work out.

Can transport them ourselves so bring 8 at a time. Being fed 3kg nuts for 6/7 weeks and on good grass to finish @ 30 months (odd one a few days over). Calf to finished Beef system.

Being bought 50/50 online & in mart

11/08/2022 (cost SIX & HEX €280, AAX €220 each direct from farm, mart costs at sale €5.50 each)

722kg - €1840 x 5 No AAX

703kg - €1900 x 2 No HEX & 1No SIX

04/08/2022 (cost €280 each as calves direct from farm, mart costs at sale €3.17 each)

785 kg - €2180 x 4 No SIX

819 kg - €2240 x 4 No SIX

14/07/2022 (cost €280 each as calves direct from farm, mart costs at sale €2.27 each)

829kg - €2370  x 4 No SIX

756 kg -€ 2320 x 4 No SIX

Post edited by nhg on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I taught prices were strong for fat cattle in gortalea mart last night but saying that cattle are standing there hours on end

I will have these on the hook for around €900 I think..Will do the full working once I get the cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭kk.man

I saw that myself... that's a very poor return for carrying so much stock and followers not to mention sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Did anyone see the accounts, are they including a salary for the worker and the land cost in the costs like tullamore farm.

If it made 146/hd plus a salary it wouldn't be bad

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭joe35

At the minute we’re happy with the mart but it’s hard to compare like with like, as to grade, fat score etc…..

What I do like is that following the sale on a Thursday the funds are in our bank account on the Tuesday. With the factory, cheque came about a week later, had to go to bank to lodge it & then another 5 days for the cheque to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Can someone tell me who is at the mart buying finished cattle?

Is it just the factories themselves ?

Id love to go to the mart but hate the idea of bringing them home.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Great money - fair play to you.

For someone like me trying to get a calf to beef system up and running, it looks like the “added value” is in keeping them til they’re that bit heavier.

Cashflow is an issue for me though at this stage and I’ll have to sell 8-10 out of the 27 I have in Oct to pay the bills and have cash to buy another 30 next Feb/March.

There is some cash tied up in cattle. It’s something you never see mentioned in any demo farm report. €900-1,000 per animal over nearly 2 to 2.5 years adds up fast if you’ve 150 of them like in the IFJ place

Yes it’s the factories themselves & their agents.

They come in the morning to see what’s on offer & then some go home & bid online, others fight it out at the ring…

Personally I think it's down to kgs of carcass per ha more than per animal..the aim here is to kill heifers and bullocks off grass before there 2nd winter and replace some with lighter ones 400-450kg in November to store on silage and kill off grass the following May/June..seems to works well here the past few years anyway..there is profit being made and it complements the sheep enterprise well.

with dairy calf to beef the key here is having a good relationship with the dairy man with the right type cows and is willing to talk to you before he goes ordering his beef straws..buying 3 week old calves with you eye ball in a mart ring would leave it a waste of time here for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Your first sentence is something an awful lot of farmers don’t understand and is the only way profit can be measured.

Lads get far too hung up on the profit they make per head but that’s a completely pointless way of measuring your profit. You could be making €200 per head on an animal in your system buying them in November and killing them 8 months later. The next man could be making €250 a head so thinks he has a better system but he may be buying as calves and keeping until they’re 30 months. I know which profit I’d rather have!

• Advertisement

I can see that side of it too. It’ll be interesting to see how much the cattle I sell next May/June leave behind them compared to the ones I sell in October.

And I’m with you 100% re buying 3-4 week old calves at the mart. Of the 30 I bought at the ring this year there’s 3 already looking a bit slack (and were last to be weaned too). I’ll probably pick out another 2 or 3 and make a separate little group for extra TLC. Not the end of the world but it’s more time/work when time is always scarce.

I have ex-farm calves lined up for next year so we’ll see how that goes. Either way, there’s plenty work involved in rearing calves.

Maybe the sooner the two of us are milking cows, the better 😀

Advertisement