Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Disagree and in Ireland in particular the public transport network needed to absorb the extra passengers from banning cars won't be ready in time.

Have you any evidence to support this claim? The public transport network is being vastly improved. However, the biggest block to much of the road-going public transport (busses) is people in cars causing congestion at junctions!

Thousands of e-scooters barrelling around would be a nightmare. Pedestrians will be under siege.

Oh would you stop being so melodramatic FFS! It's tiresome nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

So I guess you've missed the multiple public consultations on reducing car access to various places in the city then? That would have been a good place for you to have your say, but instead you think DCC just do what they want to reduce car access.

And do you really think people were roaming about the country and all heading into cities by horse and carriage in the middle ages?

People ride on scooters as it's a faster way of travelling for people, rather than using car or just public transport. Not everyone is entitled to drive wherever they want, whenever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭growleaves

Being restricted access to mechanised personal transport at all is a terrible diminution of living standards. Yes people can cycle but they aren't disallowed from driving also.

The next step in an evolution from horse and carriage to horseless carriage (car) is not to an e-scooter.

E-scooters are little fiddly things, lesser than mopeds.

If every car user in Dublin decided to take public transport tomorrow the whole system would collapse.

Granted there is eight years to expand further but I would guess it won't be ready in time.

But that's not going to happen though is it? Most motorists are seriously entitled, and think they should be allowed to drive and park anywhere they want. Your attitude just proves it. Nobody is disallowing you from driving, road space is just being redistributed. If you choose to sit for long periods in your car, trying to drive somewhere, then that's your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Here is an article from Rte.ie where one interviewee says e-scooters will be substituted for cars in Dublin. That is an obvious decline in living standards and one of the steepest in history.

that is the most histrionic nonsense i've heard in a long while. to the point it's quite funny.

Now you're just making assumptions. Did I say I was allowed to drive and park anywhere I like? We're discussing 'carless' cities - e.g. a total ban on cars in Dublin by 2030

And funnily enough, the guy quoted about e-scooters owns a business selling e-scooters.

Growleaves seems nice at least but I honestly can't tell if it's some kind of parody account

• Advertisement

To take one example:

2.6 million passengers passed through Dublin airport in May 2022.

Could the Aircoach and the 16 bus transport all of them to and from the airport and around the city?

The expansion of public transport needed for carlessness to be practicable is off the charts.

are there plans to stop cars driving to the airport?

You seem to think because public transport couldn't cope if it was the only option for travel is a suitable argument for allowing drivers free reign of the city, but it isn't. You are talking about pure fantasy.

Complete 'carlessness' will never be a realistic option, but car use needs to be reduced. That's why active and public transport options are increasing. How do you not understand that?

Carless cities are being promoted heavily in the media.

There is a carless city planned for West Dublin and I take that as an indication among others that cars are being phased out.

If Dublin were to become carless then cars would be unable to drive to the airport.

No it's not a parody.

My perspective is that I like the freedom to have a personal vehicle. Why shouldn't I?

A bicycle or escooter can't carry luggage.

I can't ride an e-scooter from Baltinglass to Derry.

any examples of carless cities being promoted in the media? The carless suburb in West Dublin would suit a lot of people, I'd love to live somewhere with no cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Airports, ferry ports, park & rides would all clearly be an exception. No-one has ever suggested otherwise.

You are having a laugh now.

You still have the freedom to have a personal vehicle.

A bicycle or e-scooter can carry luggage.

You can't ride an e-scooter from Baltinglass to Derry, much the same way I can't drive my car from Dublin to Inishturk.

I linked an article up thread from Rte.ie. Also there was an Irish Times article re the Fairview mess which talked about less cars as opposed to replacing petrol cars with elec vehicles.

Yes it will suit some but if all cities are carless without exception I will not be a happy bunny.

Okay so when you're going to the airport or to stay at a friend's with two large suitcases you jump on an e-scooter?

You're the one having a laugh.

• Advertisement

the link you posted is only talking about the city centre. Less cars doesn't mean no cars though does it? Of course we should have less cars do you not agree? what's the alternative? more cars and more infrastructure for them? look at the mess that has gotten us into

You are living in a fantasy land, thinking that cities will become carless. But car dependency needs to be reduced. You just can't understand that, because you only seem to care about what you want, and not the greater good.

There is no mess in Fairview. There's temporary road works taking place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We're discussing 'carless' cities - e.g. a total ban on cars in Dublin by 2030

from the same poster, 18 minutes later:

I can't ride an e-scooter from Baltinglass to Derry.

please stop moving the goalposts.

You are the only one talking about someone taking two large suitcases to the airport on an e-scooter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Carless cities are not being heavily promoted in the media. However, restrictions of private vehicles in city centres is being pushed simply because they are an inefficient form of transport and as mentioned where these restrictions are brought in, the roadspace is being reallocated towards more efficient methods.

This does not mean that cars will not be allowed into a city centre and never has been the case. Even Paris which has introduced massive changes in how cars can travel around parts of the city is already being deemed as a massive success.

As for the plan for West Dublin (which I'd take with a large pinch of salt!), this is not going to be a city - it is a small suburb with good transport links (road, rail, tram, cycle path towards town, etc.) and ideal for this kind of development which will take several decades to complete. In fact, the plans envisage car parks at the start. These forms of car-free area exist extremely well in other countries. Why would it be unsuitable in Ireland? Are we somehow different?

You are reading a headline about a carless city but failing to read the detail. You then allow this headline to fester inside your head before coming on the likes of here moaning about how your rights are being taken away. You really should be on Facebook if you are going to use that approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭cgcsb

'A terrible diminution of living standards' can you back this up with anything at all? Because I've studied this extensively and living standards have been vastly improved in cities that limited cars and reallocated space to sustainable transport modes. Take Amsterdam for example which was chocked with congestion until the 1974 oil crisis precipitated a change in policy and a vast improvement of air quality, health, accessibility, reduced journey times and a whole host of other benefits. I've never came across a city that had the opposite experience as you are claiming.

Furthermore Dublin is one of the few EU capitals that has almost no restrictions on cars...yet. You don't like escooters, ok, but what's your point? You aren't required to use one, merely accept that they are a vastly more energy and space efficient means of moving a single person around than a car.

regarding the nonsense about living standards, the old adage springs to mind; that a society has matured, not when the poor can afford to drive, but the rich take public transport.

As for driving to the Airport with your 2 large suitcases, your parking is going to cost €250 for your two week holiday. So you must be made of money 😂

• Advertisement

just googled it. newer than i'd realised, about ten years old supposedly.

Advertisement