Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That these welfare tourists are better off than the majority of Irish taxpayers they’re leaching off- it would seem pretty self explanatory really

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You could tell they were on welfare by driving past. 🙄

You should patent that technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I’m saying that come winter the EU may force Ukraine to negotiate and even give land to Russia if their energy is cut off. The average person will be more concerned about inflation and blackouts than a country on the very edge of Europe that isn’t even in the EU. That’s just human nature.

Russia already cut off the energy several times, do you not think the EU are aware of this?

Also the idea that the EU can force Ukraine to do anything is quite remedial and as I have already pointed out a strategy that would be destined to produce annual energy crisis at the whim of lunatic who has changed the course of Europe for at least a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

And when that happens Ireland will probably get another big boost to numbers as the other countries tone down or recind their welcome.

• Advertisement

Yes because happily I’m not a total idiot in denial- the welfare dependency figures speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

1k Ukrainians arriving each week. This is madness.

They need to ban non EEA immigration if they're going taking in this number of Ukrainians.

"b-b-b-but the jobs need workers"...to hell with the jobs. People seem to care more about the welfare of multi nationals than the welfare of the millions of citizens already living here.

Sure, yeah when I see a lad driving a 70 grand BMW I automatically think he is on welfare. There is zero room for critical thought isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Your opinion is perfectly valid and I get where you're coming from - though I fail to see how having empathy for the innocent victims of this is making things worse.

But why the need to put "war" and "refugees" in scare quotes? It's a real war. They are real refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Ukrianinans won't give up welfare to work the minimum wage jobs unless the welfare is cut off, they will just be leeching off us till paddy wakes up and puts an end to this madness.

They’ll work cash in hand to keep the freebies. Meanwhile the average Irish taxpayer is screwed to the floorboards for everything

🙄

What exactly is it you're trying to prove, here? Why do you keep calling all refugees "welfare tourists"?

There are, undoubtedly, some welfare tourists - there are scammers and freeloaders in all walks of life, from multi-millionaires paying cash-in-hand to workers in Mayo, to ministers responsible for company regulation not making the declarations to SIPO that they're supposed to, to people who've been on the dole their whole life with no intention of ever finding work. They're a minority.

Not every refugee you see or meet is a "welfare tourist." You can have been a success in Ukraine with a nice house and owned a BMW X3 or a Peugeot 5008 - and have driven it west when your country got invaded and your house was blown up. Or you just feared your town was next to be invaded. Or shelling of the nuclear plant 50k away made you decide to get the hell out of Dodge.

I really don't see how you don't understand this. Is it that admitting most refugees are genuine would somehow diminish an argument that we've taken in enough? Or just xenophobia?

Welcome to the discussion.

Scroll back. One in four are already working.

Nope. While undoubtedly some will be in the black economy (which, y'know, requires Irish people employing them illegally), one in four refugees are already working and are registered as such.

They are dependent on EU and US money. The money tap can be turn off. That’s how they can be forced.

The EU only need Russian energy for two to three years, when they can be setting up alternatives, LNG gas facilities and storage also increasing the number of nuclear facilities. It just takes time.

In reality the EU green zealots are hell bent on this bankrupting “Green” deal. That’s what happens when Uber privileged head in the clouds ideologues like Van Der Lyen and her ilk occupy the levers of power.

Total fantasy rubbish that is impoverishing ordinary citizens today

I would say it’s more about money. Someone is making money from it. It’s the same as ESG (environmental, social and governance), there are oil companies with good ratings yet Tesla has a bad score. It’s another money spinner to keep the rich, rich.

Absolutely- the transfer of wealth from the lower middle classes upwards has been unprecedented. EU policy reinforces this as endless nanny state bureaucracy stamps on the necks of ordinary citizens

Glancing over and the point about this is part of Putins plan to weaken the EU and he doesn’t want to take all over Ukraine is just plain old bs. If he wanted to hurt the EU to maximum effect he would occupy the entirety of Ukraine and subject the population to atrocious conditions and allow them to leave Ukraine freely in to the EU. The fact is he Ballsed up massively and doesn’t have the capacity to do that, the Russian military is seen as joke now.

I think Ukrainians refugees need to be treated the same as other refugees asap. This is just not sustainable. Europe is large continent but so many are attracted to come to Ireland because they get much more than they will elsewhere.

They are genuine refugees here there’s no doubt about that but with all the added incentives we are attracting all the piss takers as well. Reading over the Ukrainians in Ireland Facebook page and so so many are just that. The amount asking about will their money be affected if they go home for 2 3 week holiday etc. I can’t imagine any Afghanis refugees asking the same. You fled your country because your life was in danger yet you’re willing to go back for a holiday and your primary concern is whether your free benefits from another country will be affected? Biggest crock of shite I ever read. Even some Ukrainians(albeit tiny tiny minority)attacking them for that on there.

I see a lot without one iota of gratitude as well. Wanting to live in Dublin because of poor climate in letterkenny, because they need to go to the hospital etc well that’s the same for half the country . My aunt had to travel by bus for 5 hours from Donegal for her cancer treatment, she wasn’t posting looking for a free house in Dublin. The neck on some of them is just astounding, you think if you escaped hell and such poverty you wouldn’t be so demanding and expectant.

Countless countless posts complaining about the health service and how long they have to wait. That’s a fact but a bit of self awareness perhaps wouldn’t go amiss, 50k extra people is only making that worse and you’re all getting medical cards, complaining about a problem that they themselves are exacerbating. So many completely devoid of self awareness, looking for free stuff, this that and everything else.

The government really needs to get its act together, this is just not sustainable and anyone who thinks it is living in cloud cuckoo land. Treat them the same as other refugees as this current set up is just attracting the biggest piss takers going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Are they paying rent? In what capacity are they working? Are they still getting all of the freebies?

You only picked one word out of that post and don't have any information for it. Ages, hours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Since you have access to the figures,. how many of those working are still receiving benefits? Be it free accommodation, FIS, or other welfare not available to Irish citizens in full time employment.

This anonymous poster on an internet forum actually provided a source for the figures, a few pages back. CSO charts and figures, IIRC. 24% of those Ukrainians eligible to work are registered as doing so, despite 66% of those attending specially organised Intreo events having "challenges" with English.

I have plenty of information for it, but if you really want to know the information you can look it up for yourself. There was a fair whack of info on the CSO pages I got it from, and they're publicly available - I even linked it in my post when it was last discussed.

Are they paying rent? Some are, we know. Not many.

Are they still getting "all of the freebies"? I would assume anyone entitled to Temporary Protection still is getting the entitlements that come with it - why wouldn't they be.

See previous reply.

Irish people are, of course, also entitled to social housing, WFP (formerly known as FIS), medical cards, etc., even if in employment. That's literally what WFP is for!

But why the need to put "war" and "refugees" in scare quotes? It's a real war. They are real refugees.

Probably because after 6 months of the war, the majority of Ukraine is completely untouched by the war. So the feeling by many is that these refugees could have remained in western Ukraine.

As for the empathy reference, it's about whether we make generous offers based off that empathy, or look at the situation in a pragmatic way? There's a tendency to jump to extremes these days, so having empathy tends to mean open arms and full support. Being a bit more cynical with the overall situation would have served the Irish people better, as we could have spent resources on those genuinely in need, rather than what we've done so far.

As pointed out here repeatedly, though, saying "the majority of Ukraine is completely untouched by war" is just completely untrue. At the start of the war, the invasion came from Russia and Belarus to the north, with the main invasion column getting as close as 30km from Kyiv. Then the majority of the action pivoted to the Donbas region in the southeast. But there have many attacks on southern and central Ukraine, too, as recently as last week. I was in the habit of posting a list of such attacks every time someone said "it's only the southeast, the rest of Ukraine is safe" - maybe I should start doing it again. Eight million Ukrainians are already internally displaced. And there is absolutely no guarantee that the front won't move further west.

Real war. Real refugees.

• Advertisement

Really? Where did all this accommodation come from that is within their means to pay for, without supplementary support from the govt? The rental rates across the country are rather high considering that most Ukrainians have intermediate (as a reasonable average) levels of English, and considering that Ukraine is a traditional country for gender roles, and the majority of refugees are women, where are they being employed (to the extent that they would be paid enough to be self-sufficient)?

It doesn't make sense. The idea that Ukrainian refugees will have the skillsets to get employment in Ireland relatively quickly, at the income levels required to be self-sufficient? Seriously?

It's far more likely that the majority of refugees are on supplementary incomes, and supports. They might be employed, I accept that.. but most likely they're getting benefits to support them.

Very suspect claim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement