Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

All going well for the Ukrainians, we might witness the first dramatic defeat of a Russian force around Kherson, with the exception of the earlier withdrawal from the Kiev area. If all of what was reported was true, the commanders there know they haven't got many options left in Kherson and have possibly left their conscripts there to be slaughtered. Some might try to just bug out and flee (not easy over those 2 only bridges where their own side might shoot them for trying it), some might get the chance to surrender to the Ukrainians (probably their best option if they can't get home) or they will fight it out and probably die.

Pretty concerned for the residents of Kherson though. Russian conscripts are poorly disiplined as a rule, but without their commanders they are more likely to become feral and do horrible things to the locals. The sooner they can be removed, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Loud explosion reported in Kerch, according to occupation authorities air defense system activated

Isnt there a bridge around there?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Or the Ukrainians could hit it again after any repairs. Rinse & repeat.

Post edited by Mullinabreena on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

It was mentioned that Erdogan carried a message from Putin. Might be nothing in this but-

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

If they hit the bridge, it will only be repaired when the war is over (unless ruskies start to advance again). Its not like bringing a car to your mechanic. All the inspections, getting required materials and bringing them to the site, plus if they hit it once, they might hit this again. Whos gonna do all the repair? And even then, its gonna take some time, its not a 1 day job

• Advertisement

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, and just when it has become operational, its gets hit again....if they can hit it once, they can hit it again, and again and again. Once its out of action, thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Several explosions reported in Zaporizhzhia

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Just have to ask if they can afford to 3billion to rebuild it every time it gets blown up ,

Once the bridge get hit it's almost game over for the Russians ,they won't risk large cargo flights knowing that the Ukrainians can shoot them down every time

So, anyone not of the opinion the Russian military/politicians are panicking? Would love to hear a counter theory... and that Russia still occupies a fifth of Ukraine isn't evidence of anything... you, know... before anyone tries that hoary old chestnut.

• Advertisement

This is just one day

To add...

Sense of Pride at being a world superpower 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

Germany hoping VP will attend the G20 in Indonesia, might crack a deal before winter. VZ becoming increasingly desperate as he knows the US are starting to tire of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sounds like something VO would say.

(Hurrah, all the 1's)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

This is the big risk. I just can't believe that Russia will pack its bags and go home utterly humiliated. Putin is the epitome of the embittered male who feels the world has done him a grave injustice and owes him and those type of guys, if they go down, tend to want to take their perceived enemies with them.

The US are lapping up the proxy destruction of the Russian (far lack of a better word) army. No pull back there from top level US... apart from Trump. He probably misses the masochistic relationship with Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I dont think this will be the case yet unfortunately.

Ukraine are making great strides in taking out ammo dumps and other assets. But Russia is starting to reinforce the Kherson region heavily now in response to the threat, they just sent 2 more battalions recently.

A full on offensive now may cost huge casualties on the Ukranian side and ultimately may not succeed at this time.

What the Ukranian side are doing now is starving them of their ammo and hardware, the longer they keep takking out their supplies at long range the more depleted the Russian side become in the Kherson region, it may end up forcing the Russians to just retreat themselves. However this strategy may take a long time and could be ongoing well into next year maybe.

I read a twitter thread about this recently which was about military objectives vs political objectives. Military objectives would be to keep hitting the Russian positions from distance without advancing much vs the political pressure to show that they are taking ground and winning the war. Of course their is also the issue of Russia holding their illegal referendums to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I would agree. The wise move would be to strike from afar and wait until the Russians are too weak to put up a local fight. Even better, if they bug out in large numbers and just abandon the place. I feel it would take a dramatic collapse of Russian morale and control for the latter to happen, which I think isn't impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

My theory is putin doesn’t give a fcuk about his army winning or losing.

He’s playing a longer term energy war with the EU’s biggest economy.

America aren’t exactly helping by selling overpriced LNG that causes prices of everything in Europe to rise.

German people will only take so much hardship before opinions change and Russian gas will be back on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I dunno, but I think it'll be very hard for any reversal on using gas from Russia.

The western public are criticised all the time since this began, they don't have the attention span, they won't accept any hardship etc. In reality the public have frequently been ahead of the politicians on this, I don't think they'd accept going back to doing business with Russia.

People are not as childish as Putin would have expected, they can see Russia has slaughtered people and has no justification for its war. I think it's very unlikely they'd accept a change of policy on sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Where are the Putin fanboys, now that the writing is on the wall ?

The West obviously committed itself to full support for Ukraine ages ago, but decided to make it look as if every truckload needed cross party approval and could be cancelled at any time. This made Putin feel confident enough to continue on a path that seems now to have suited the West's approach. Any withdrawal of Western aid is now fantasy land stuff. Putin has been humiliated already by the Crimean situation, but it will get far worse for him. I hope it's true, that Putin has indeed been warned by the US that any use of non-conventional weapons in Ukraine will receive a military response via the destruction, by conventional means, of many Russian military assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That is what is happening - the inexorable demoralisation of the occupying Russian forces and that's only going to get tougher for them when it gets colder.

It was widely acknowledged at the start of this conflict that Russian forces would capture territory - the big question was, would they be able to hold onto it.

There's no indication yet, that military or financial supports are waning for Ukraine and we likely only know in part what sort of help is being given.

There is though a constant background hum of chatter that Europe will tire of it, the Germans will get cold, the Ukrainians will be suffering too much, that Putin is mad and will nuke us all and sure they may as well just accept their lot and sign over what Russia has grabbed. How much of this is just public thought as to what might happen and how much is Russian influenced & sponsored disinformation is hard to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think it's quite lazy thinking, it's like old people talking about youngsters saying these young ones don't know what work/hardship is, etc.

In reality everyone in the west knows that Russians have massacred civilians, raped innocent civilians and forcibly deported children. The public are well aware of what Russia is capable of and that there is no way it can go back to business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah I hope your right.

But when the German economy and by extension the EU economy starts getting into difficulties (more so than now) due to the fact German industry relies so much on gas- it could be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

And the horrid thing is the west have just stood by and let it happen and continue to let it happen. Sure they are letting Putrid use a nuclear power station as a doomsday weapon. This weakness at our doorstep will not be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He’s playing a longer term energy war with the EU’s biggest economy.

If that's the case then he's lost that one completely. That game is over and they will ride out this winter. The Germans along with the rest of the EU will not go back to Russia ever again for energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Germany starting up nuclear plants again, reopening coal plants, most of Europe getting gas from elsewhere, I guarantee you Russia will crack long before Europe will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Covid 19 and the war in Ukraine are a blessing in the sky for the EU imho. We need to rely on our own all the way from ppe to gas/oil etc. It comes at a price but we cannot do buiseness with tin pot dictators...... period

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement