Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

@fatbhoy

You may not, but plenty others do, try to get your opinion across in a nicer way in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It really isn't. It's becoming a huge sport due to the involvement of girls at underage levels. I, personally, have no real interest in it and don't think calls for pay parity etc are correct by any means but the vitriolic nature of your post speaks to you and you alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Coverage is becoming ubiquitous because of a media agenda.

Is it? If it is I'm not seeing it, as I choose not to. Nobody is going to force you watch it, read about it etc. I don't like rugby, it's on TV a lot and gets lots of media attention but I'm not offended by it or feel a need to be hateful towards it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Or, just quite possibly, because British and European clubs have seen the commercial opportunities and growth potential from getting involved in women's football - Barcelona v Real Madrid sold out the Camp Nou for a Women's Champions League semi-final match this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Apart from Motherwell, the best match in the showgrounds this season was Rovers Women beating Shels a few weeks ago. Possibly the best televised Irish football match this season too from either gender.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Keep it on topic folks, this is about LOI football, both men's and women's teams, this is not a being insecure about your genitalia forum.

• Advertisement

Exactly, that game on TG4 was a great watch! Pity about the result. I think TG4 have a couple more games on next month including Shels & Peaumont in Tolka.

I don't support Shels women's as religiously as the men's home & away but make an attempt to get over to as many games in Tolka as possible and went out to the last game in Peaumont!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Interesting that this season's licensing manual asks current and new applicants to outline their plans for a women's team, and given only eight of the existing LoI clubs are currently involved in the WNL, there's ample room for expansion, especially with Sligo performing very respectably in their first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

We cried when Filippo signed (those) players but he

Did win the FAI Cup

Did qualify for the group stages of the europa league. (Who else can say that?)

Holds the record for dundalks biggest win.

Had to play to empty grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The women's national team sold out Tallaght for this first time for the upcoming match. Think tickets were all sold on the first day.

Women's football is gaining in popularity globally, and it's not because of some far left media agenda. Absolutely bizarre take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

99% of the posts on this forum are about the mens LoI.

If there isn't one already, perhaps one could be set up for the ladies' league?

That way, neither thread gets derailed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Good to be back at Tolka, was away for few weeks and couldn’t get down for last game…. Nice crowd building… Come on Shels…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Go on Bray! 2 nil up away to Galway, City will be lucky to get 0-1 in Cobh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And galway missed a penalty too. Galway really should've scored just now

Half time at tolka, Bohs very lucky to be ahead. They started strong, got a goal but since the injury (hope it’s not as bad for O Driscoll as it looked) they’ve been second best but for the odd chance.

Red card was hard to judge from where I was sitting , have to see it replayed to give a fair comment. To be honest it looked like one of those tackles that looked like a red, but I actually thought the shels player more lost his footing.

Bohs look slick at times when attacking but they’ve struggled to get a hold of the game.

Hopefully shels can keep at it.

City get the win in Cobh and Galway lose at home- 2 big results in the hunt for top spot in the First Division.

Well deserved draw for 10 men shels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Made harder work of that than we needed to but a big three points with the other results tonight. Atakayi has scored three goals for us all of which involved a bad backpass and him tapping into an empty net.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

2 points lost imo. Pointless red against a toothless Bohs team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Disappointed with only getting another 1pt tonight in Drogheda, but to be fair Drogs always give us a tough game.

Great game tonight, both teams gave it a right go. Draw was a fair result I thought.

Yeh but it was a very encouraging performance from shels. There’s a lot to build on with this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Weird home draw that feels like a win, but will take it for what it is.

John Russell might have been facing the chop tonight if McGinty didn't save those penalties against Bala. Deserved nothing from the match in Ballybofey.

It was also a vintage refereeing performance from Rob Hennessy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

We needed a response and to get stuck in after the Drogheda game, and there was a reaction from the Shels players despite a slow start. Were the better team for much of the game with 10 men. The Shels Bohs rivalry is certainly getting it's edge back, and it was a very heated game and tense atmosphere

Twice against Rovers and Bohs we've given away very early goals though, which is a cause from concern, continually on the back foot before we even get out of the blocks. Bohs are a poor team really, and while it was a good result with the red and going behind, we should of taken all 3 points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah that struck me too when Serge scored. Bizarre, but who’s complaining ? Didn’t think we were good in the first half. Lots of possession, but doing little with it, and Lonergan from UCD had a couple of very good efforts, one of which could easily have gone in. Thought we were sharper second half and created more, despite giving the soft goal away. Eoin Doyle with another miss with a good chance from a header. Overall, a very good result with Derry drawing. Four points behind now. The race for the top three might not be over yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Incredible decision for the penalty for Shels, I would call it two bad teams scrapping out a draw.

I would like to say fair play to the Shels fans for the minutes silence for Mono, his family were there so it was much appreciated on what was a sad occasion for a lot of us in Tolka. Rivalries are rivalries but I think everyone in the LOI knows how important these types of lads are to our clubs up and down the country.

Edit: actually just realised it was probably for that lad Emmo, there's no speakers in the away end in Tolka but either way was impeccably observed by both sets of fans which sadly is not always the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Without a doubt. Very impressed with the 2 Shanes last night.

We were an absolute shambles again tonight thanks to our fraud of a manager. Time for him to go, plenty of people realising it now too thankfully. Sends the team out in the wrong shape, players out of position, then compounds it with caveman tactics and worse substitutions. Cork going up as Champions and Waterford I'd expect to go through the First Division playoffs. We'll bottle it in the first playoff round against Wexford or Treaty no doubt.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Agree on the penalty. Shouted for it at the time but saw the replay from LOITV on the way home. Never a penalty.

On the minute silence it was planned for Emmo, first home game since he passed i think, but it was also announced as being for Mono and for someone else at Bohs. Like you say rivalries can be put aside for stuff like that.

From the main stand I had a bad feeling once I saw JRs tackle but mates in Riverside tell me different. I dunno who's right.

Overall though in the circumstances was happy with a point going home. Going 1-0 down so early, losing our two centre half's early on then going down to 10 men. Thought Gavin Molloy was excellent as a make shift centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I haven't seen a replay of JR's tackle but my initial instinct was it looked a red, one way or the other it was an idiotic challenge to make by a defender just before half time with your defence already decimated in the half. I thought it was a penalty maybe the replay will change my mind if we got lucky on that. Outstanding character shown by the team in that 2nd half to achieve a deserved point

There's a replay. Not unprecedented that it's given as a pen in the LOI unfortunately, stonewall free out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

So who are the contenders to win the PFAI player of the year?

patching?

lyons?

gaffney?

Keena?

someone will probably say Mannus

mandroiu would be favorite if he had stayed which makes it unfortunate he didn’t

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers won with plenty of help from SOD's high line allowing three very similar goals and could've been more.

Any chance of SDCC making a quick planning amendment for a Mannus statue in the North Stand....

Easily Gaffney.

Must be a nightmare being a defender and seeing Gaffney and Greene in the starting 11.

Two absolute workhorses that won't let you switch off for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

It was clear that SOD though that Rovers would play their normal passing game and tried to press them high up the pitch, unfortunately for Dundalk Bradley obviously expected this & used it to his advantage by going over the top with 3 willing runners. The bizarre thing for me was that SOD made no in-game changes to his system despite it clearly not working as intended, even allowing for the personnel issues it was an incredible risk sticking to the gameplan after the first goal went in. It was really a case of how many Rovers would score after the 2nd went in.

Either way, we've a nice buffer now given the upcoming crowded fixture list, fingers crossed we wont need it but I suspect we'll drop points due to the european games. Up to Derry & Dundalk and see how they react now. Fall away completely or roll up their sleeves and put pressure on Rovers as they slog it out in Europe.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Fall away completely gets my vote (hope 😄). I think that we (Pats) are not quite out of the reckoning for the top 3. Will be tough, but you never know. We really have to be taking more of our chances though. Playing quite well otherwise.

Player of the Year for me, so far, is Gary Deegan just pipping Darragh Markey.

Manager of the Year is Kev Doherty.

But they won't get it. I don't see the other teams enough to say who, from what team, should get it. But it will probably be a Rovers player and Bradser will probably get MOTY. And if they win the league, it's hard to argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Three (almost identical) breakaway goals. Dundalk are nothing without Hoban. Manus is brilliant in Ireland, rubbish abroad. I assume the league is over for this year, and 3 teams are playing for 2 places)(apologies to Bohs and Sligo). Kenna has been outstanding in a hot and cold Sligo.

Minute silence was for two Reds - Emmo & Gary Daly along with Mono too. Our official programme (digital these days) opened with a paragraph on Mono and was dedicated to Emmo & Gary. Fairplay to the large grouping of Bohs fans who clapped on the 31st Min when the Emmo banner/flares went up.

As for the game, I missed the Red but by all accounts it was very harsh. Was never a peno for us but we definitely deserved the draw.

Liam Kerrigan scored off the bench for Como last night away to Pisa. I believe it was his debut.

02:40:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's fantastic for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Congratulations Waterford. They seemed to have snared themselves a right winner this time.

Edit:That article is 2 years old, The total Fleetwood debt now stands at £24 million and they're hemorrhaging £54,000 a week!

Anything to be said for a fit and proper ownership test?

No more Friday night matches in Tallaght this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Perhaps someone will tell me otherwise, but it seems like nearly anyone at all can come in any buy a club in Ireland if they're willing to pony up the cash.

Waterford have now been bought and sold by three different Englishmen in recent years. 2 of them already had a significant interest in another English Football League club, and there's only be one logical reason as to why they're here.

I think the FAI needs to get a handle on this fairly quickly because I think more LOI clubs might be facing into this in the years ahead. I think we could have 1-2 clubs who pull away from the others due to more regular access to UEFA prize money, and the only way the others will be able to keep up with that is via a wealthy benevolent owner (e.g. Derry and Galway) or unbelievable support over and above what most LOI clubs have typically received from their local communities over the years.

I heard the Drogheda Chairman the other day talking about a need for more investment (from overseas parties) or they'll have to go back to the First Division and remain semi-professional. I think that's a sign of the times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Fleetwood are only a drop in a very deep EFL ocean of debt. They're being well run compared to some.

But their facilities look nice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement