Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

@Freewheel when you say you can only fit 6 panels, what's the reason behind that? Is that down to roof space or your budget? Wanna send us pics showing the roof and orientation? Any flat roofs or large garden or large shed to add more too?

Asking as one company wanted to sell us a 7 panel system (all we would fit they said) and we got 16 up! Another said 8-9 would be max. Sales people just wanted an easy sale. Design didn't suit us. So went elsewhere. And it's a veryyyyyyy small house so small roof (but we used flat extension roof too).

More you can fit now, the better. A lot of the cost is for the roof part. So if they are on the roof anyway...the cost to add more is less.

Price wise a zappi install and fit is at least 1.5k from quotes I got. Get 600 back in grant.

If you're only getting a 6 panel system and can't upgrade that in time, the Zappi might be overkill price wise. It sends spare power to car but needs 1.4kwh free and you won't have that with only 6 panels (or not often). So could go for a cheaper car charger instead that isn't able to feed from free solar power. Means you'd charge forever on cheaper night rate, not via solar. I only have a Zappi so hope I am right in what I said here. Big reason I wanted more panels was to be able to get the spare 1.4kwh to trickle charge our EV - and it works well. It takes more if more available. Car needs to be in driveway during the day!

And Eddi / water diverter is about 500 to buy plus they need 1-2 hours (guessing) to install and link to Zappi. Also may need the Myenergie Harvi (hub to link Zappi and Eddi). About 70 quid to buy and 20mins for them to setup.

If your max is 6, then Saas is your best bet price wise based on quotes for small systems here

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Freewheel

Thanks, the limit of 6 panels is down to roof space - there’s two velux windows which really limits it. All 3 quotes said the max panels on the roof is 6 and I didn’t really question it as I don’t have a clue myself. I’ll send on pics of roof tmw. Looks like zappi mightn’t make sense so. i hadn’t realised it was that expensive. I have existing charger so grant could be an issue. we use night rate on it so looks like I’d be better sticking with that. Hadn’t realised saas was available in cork - they weren’t covering cork when I initially looked into it but that’s a bit ago now. I’ll send on pics of roof and will look into saas. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just onto another supplier there who is coming out for an inspection, they explained something I wasnt previously aware of that optomisers actually drop the capacity of the entire string so not sure if id even bother with doing 3 aspects now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lob1

Not true 10 panels with shading on 2 panels

No he said that optomisers drop the total panel capacity to generate by 16% which I cant find any evidence of online, is anyone able to confirm?

If its true what I might see is possible if its a small string of 3-4 just go with micro inverters for each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

16x370 panel (6kwp), Solis inverter, Eddi, 5.1 Dyness

12.5k excluding grant since it's a new build and no grant available.

Good/Bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Maybe 1% or so - but that's about all. E.g. just to give the efficiency of the one that they sell on midsummer/solarcity

How are Tigo Optimizers Different From Other DC-DC Optimizers? – Tigo Help Center (tigoenergy.com)

99.6% efficient. Not sure where the 16% is coming from. Sounds "dubious" (read nonsense) to me.

That said, if you can avoid the use of optimizers that would be preferrable. Don't forget small strings with 3-4 panels have to get the "startup voltage" on an inverter before they will produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Looks to be about 2k overpriced, maybe the installer making up for no grant.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

To be fair, they say it's that price, minus the grant that they'd apply for and claim so 10k to me in the end. But I don't think they can get the grant so dunno then....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Have a look @ post #2944 it's a similar sized system and is in the ballpark of where you want to be and look on down that page for an idea of what price to aim for. There is still some good value to be had if you look and haggle hard enough.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

Doesn't this meet the guide price of €1.2k/kwh, €2.5k for battery plus €550 for Eddie coming in at €10.1k after grant of €2.4k if applicable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I was onto them in Galway recently and it wasn't available there at least with mysolar.

Yeah it would be a string of about 6-7 all with optomisers due to different aspect and the south facing roof with 3 of them has a chimney.

Just had that guy out and he point blank refused to put the 3 on the south roof and add optomisers.

Quoted me with 12k after grant for 9 x 415w jintec panels, huawei inverter and battery and eddi which I dont think ill be going with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Quoting 12k is his way of saying "I ain't doing that job" - or at least I hope he was seriously not trying to win business with that price !!!

To be honest i think he was actually trying to sell me on it but his refusal to give a good reason or evidence of his optomisers claim meant he was gonna have to kill it on price if I was gonna consider it, as you can see he did not.....

I got the feeling hes used to dealing with people who have done little to no research whatsoever so im very thankful for this thread as I was quickly able to get up to speed over the last week.

Ach, you know the way these things go. He's probably been tortured by optimizers in a previous installation where one has failed (through no fault of his) and the customer wrecked his head about him installing a shoddy job. Been back out 1-2 times to fix a problem which he didn't cause, and then decided......

"That's it! I'm not using them anymore"

Alternatively.... he's just a dick. LOL!

Jokes aside, they do fail. I don't think the failure rate is particularly high, but over the course of an installation with 10 optimizers, I'm guessing one might fail, and that panel will be dark as a result until someone goes up to the roof and replaces it. Not a hard job. A few minutes to clip in a new one to the panel, but it's getting someone out on the roof which is the issue.

Optimizers have their place though. I'm sort of in the "use them if you need them" camp - but do make sure you need them.

My goal is to cover my roof with as much as possible as it looks like after he did the measuring there if I did that Id be maxing out at 12 and not the 15 id previously hoped so for what I want its either 9 with no optomisers or 12 with 7 optomisers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'm back to being ghosted by companies after getting contacted back by 2 eventually (talking months and months). After a short burst of activity, I'm getting no replies again. Painful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Are you emailing or calling?

Not making excuses, I really hate bad communication, but when times are this busy it's always good to try and get them in person on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I've stopped being proactive on it as busy elsewhere. Have had a site visit then nothing from one supplier then a scheduled call that never happened with another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

18 jinko panels tiger n type 7.2kwp

6hw sofar hybrid inventor

9.6kw dyness battery (big and ugly)

cabling works etc

slate roof

ber

all in €13,400 after grant taken out

Good to go for that? Tomorrows decision day

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Great price, You do realize the amount of power that this will generate ? I hope you have a good use for it ?

And no Eddi ?

Using between 13,500 and 14,500 KWh annually.but hoping to lower that having altered heat pump setting upon advice.

we already have a solar tube system from when we built the house.

I’m monitoring usage at the minute and will do for the next 6-8 weeks. If the hp is making enough cheapish water great, if not I may ask them for an eddi before instal it should be a simple enough addition from what I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I paid about the same for 7.2kw and a 5kWh PureDrive. Just invested in an EV to soak up the excess. No regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’m getting a very similar quote now from one of the more reputable companies on here.

17 x 370W panels (6kwp)

6kw hybrid inverter

5.1kwh battery

No EDDI

€12,500 before grant (€10,100 after grant).

I thought that fit the formula here:

€1,200 x 6kwp = €7,200 + €550 + €2,500 = €12,450????

Just to clarify - the formula is the price you pay after the grant is taken off. So that would be

€1,200 x 6kwp = €7,200 + €550 + €2,500 = €10,250

Your quote is for €10,100 after grant so that's a pretty good one. If your happy with the spec I'd nearly pull the trigger.

Aside: I'd get them to bring along 2-3 extra panels and if you can fit them......I'd get them to put them on the roof and settle up after. Usually its about €200 a panel, but absolutely worth every panel you put up as a part of the initial installation. Remember, your electricity needs will only increase in years to come. EV, Heat pump, etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah we’ve had some discussions on what we can and can’t fit. We might get 19 panels on in total, but I’m not confident we would. They told us the installers would basically figure that out when they’re here and if there is space for more then they’ll add more.

I am waiting on 1 more quote, but the company involved want to do an in person survey first for some reason. Not sure why. And we have a positive Covid case in the house so not sure when we’ll realistically be able to manage an in-person survey given how C19 can travel about the house.

Tempted to just pull the trigger on the above given the companies rep here tbh. Nothing beats positive word of mouth really.

Would adding 2 panels to a 7.2kwp to bring it up to 8kwp be a waste of time on an east west facing roof. I take it you’d produce more power than the invester can handle over the summer but get closer to the 6kw when the sun is less favourable but not sure how you’d do the maths on whether it’s worth the extra panels or not. Don’t think space would be an issue but don’t want putting up panels for fun. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Advice is fill the roof on install day :) Cheapest you'll ever get it. With FIT paying a decent amount now, why not get the free juice. You're paid for it if don't use it

• Advertisement

When does FIT come in and what’s the likely rate granted it’s supplier leaf. I’m on a day night meter currently and looking at the tariffs on smart not in a hurry to change.

assuming 8kwp can’t do any harm to the 6kw inverter you feel it worth the additional investment to maximise production even though in the summer months your probably producing more than required?

apologies if this is something discussed previously or Im to simplistic in my thinking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement