Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The awfulness of the "Be kind" social media mob

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Whether it’s because that they are soppy-headed useful idiots who swallow all of the propaganda from the snowflake rightwing brigade, or simply out of touch boomers railing against time passing them by, it is impossible for any neutral observer to deny that the demonisation of marginalised groups is rampant on boards.ie.

I like how there's no option that they just don't agree with you.

I happen to have #bekind in my signature, and I have often been the victim of the original poster’s jibes regarding the same so I think that I am qualified to speak on this matter.

Love the idea that other posters might be unqualified to speak on the matter. You have the #bekind in your signature, along with a statement of ignoring opinions that differ from your own.

When I see this happening I will comment on in and confront the original poster. When a poster highlights his own hypocrisy (for example being extremely anti-immigration into Ireland while daydreaming out loud about emigrating themselves (ref: Klaz and Strumms)) then I will point this out and mock them for it.

Daydreaming about emigrating? I lived 13 years in China, and will be leaving again for Asia towards the end of Sept. Although, I don't recall you mocking me for anything except my use of Italics and Bold in posts.. I do recall you throwing out the victim card, and disappearing when your views were opposed.

This thread really was made for posters like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I refuse to take anyone who emphasises words with italics seriously.

Hardly the desired behaviour of someone who puts #BeKind in their signature. Pure hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Not enough dopes being called out for their stupidity if you ask me.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Is this thread entirely based off interactions on twitter? Am I reading that correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Come on guys. Can we not all just #bekind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Thank you for fixing your formatting issues.

You lived in China for 13 years and yet you rail against immigrants/refugees into Ireland on this site daily. The behaviour of a classic Little Irelander. If you think pointing out your hypocrisy is “unkind” then I can’t help you.

As for the “disappearing” comment: you are aware that I don’t work here, right? I’m not obliged to spend 8 hours a day unspooling your over-written, over-formatted exhibitions of pedantry. Get a life, pal.

Thank you for fixing your formatting issues.

I use italics and bold to place emphasis on certain words/phrases. That is called formatting.

You lived in China for 13 years and yet you rail against immigrants/refugees into Ireland on this site daily. The behaviour of a classic Little Irelander. If you think pointing out your hypocrisy is “unkind” then I can’t help you.

Black/white thinking. I criticise multiculturalism, the failures of integration, the elevation of cultural groups, etc. Not immigrants or refugees themselves (as groups). I believe that both situations with regards to immigration and the overall refugee situation could be handled better.. which is what I tend to discuss with others. Oh, and I've never seen you involve yourself in such discussions to counter my viewpoints on these issues.

I don't expect any help from you. You've shown yourself to be remarkably judgmental towards other posters.

As for the “disappearing” comment: you are aware that I don’t work here, right? I’m not obliged to spend 8 hours a day unspooling your over-written, over-formatted exhibitions of pedantry. Get a life, pal.

Throw out abuse, narrow minded opinions, and disappear when you're opposed on those views. That's not an expectation for you to stay on the site for 8 hours a day.. it's the expectation that you defend your views, and engage in a discussion. However, the truth is that I don't expect you to do any such thing. Not anymore.

You do realise that you're reinforcing/proving the points I made earlier about those who put #bekind in their sigs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seems to be. And of those I know in Real Life that have #bekind in their bio none are over the top in opinions. It seems to be just a thing to add because they saw it elsewhere. Like currently fashionable flags or whatever in their bios. We're a social animal so as part of that we will ape current trends no matter what they happen to be. If the same folks and social media were around in 30's Germany or the USSR no doubt most would have wee swastikas or hammer and sickles in their sigs and the Irish would sport miraculous medals. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

The real authoritarians are the SJWs. I am so smart. The real freedom lovers are anti-trans, any-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-traveller, anti-womens-rights. But you never hear any of that ever voiced on here, because of the censorship. Again, I am so smart.

Of course they're not the real freedom lovers. I knew there would be this (I suspect deliberate) misinterpretation. The "be kind" mob can be members of any political persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I don't really understand what the thread in general is trying to say.

Re: Anne Heche - there is nothing wrong at all in saying that "the insurance wont cover everything" in respect of someone who has had their home destroyed. Are the being kind people being kind to the lady whose home was ruined or to Anne Heche?

Anne Heche had a difficult life. That should not mean that the lady whose home was destroyed should not be distressed by her actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think it was Jerry Springer who did the 'Be kind to yourself, and one another'.... even when that episode had featured people beating the living snot out of one another.

Laura Whitmore has a #bekind tag in her social media... she set the dogs on some journalist, who she named. Said journo had all sorts of abuse sent her way, a few death threats too. Horrific, nasty stuff. Respectable newspapers, such as the Washington post, came out in support of the journalist. And Whitmore was called out on her hypocrisy.

But tbh, this stuff has all happened before, it will happen again. We saw it with literally religion or spinoff of a religion, we saw it with charities that were pocketing the funds, such that homeless charity where the founder of the organisation was raping homeless men.

Or probably most infamously (in recent times) Lance Armstrong using a cancer charity for kids to 'dissuade' journalists from investigating the many allegations of him doping and cheating. 'But look at what he's doing for these kids'.

Happened before, sadly will happen again. Human's are flawed. To varying degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 #be kind

you couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not too sure what’s going on in the OP, in relation to the thread “title”. Seems to be a complaint about their complaint not being taken on board by others, when there seem to be a bigger issue being addressed.

Anyway, with regards to the “be kind” side of things. Just seems to be a lot of anger out there. A lot of negativity too. I don’t see the harm in trying to spread a little positivity. Everything doesn’t have to be “doom and gloom” all the time.

The world is changing, “society” changes and, as always, certain sections of the older, and middle aged, members of society don’t like it. Some never accept it.

You get lots of talk about the young people not knowing what life is like and how they have it too easy, a sort of “I had to suffer so they should too”. It’s very unhealthy and extremely negative. Crab mentality stuff.

Unfortunately, these angry lads seem to outnumber the, more, normal users on sites like these. An outside “observer” viewing this site would be well within their rights to think Ireland was a backwards country that hated foreigners, LGBTQIA+, women, POCs and Muslims.

I never really get how some people can get so butthurt over others showing the slightest bit of solidarity with those in less fortunate “situations”. Or just trying to spread a little positivity.

Maybe they think “vice signalling” is cool, and edgy, now but that’s not very likely, considering lads in their late 30’s to mid 40’s bracket aren’t known for having their fingers on the pulse of what’s cool. Guess they just want everyone to be as stuck in their ways, and angry, as them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Real kindness though, where we are respectful and make an attempt to understand or to be able to say that you don't, is so important.

I've come across in everyday life and online people who have strong views on mental health or rush in to offer support but it's conditional on who it is that's struggling. It's obvious in groups I think. If you fall out of favour or you drift apart. I don't know. Might need to think a bit more about that.

Although I do remember when my mam passed someone I hadn't seen in a long time reached out to me with condolences and I was very grateful for it. That no matter our differences you can offer kindness.

• Advertisement

• That’s real kindness that is in the action without the painful virtue signalling “look at how great and kind I am compared to you”. The latter is passive aggressive at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It was Ellen DeGeneras who first started saying "Be kind to yourselves and each other" at the end of every show

Was it not Jerry Springer?...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She claims I’m anti immigration which just proves that said poster can’t even understand what she is reading…or is just deliberately disingenuous and misleading other posters.. :) I’m not anti immigration at all

you can be pro immigration but anti…the inability for a country to control its borders when necessary ;)

so she can confront in her own mind facts rather then makeyup daydreams about what people might or maybe, or not, think, mean or something….

people who pour scorn, disagree, question or have a willingness to debate are not bullies , sorry :)

and disagreeing does not equal hate speech. sorry again

its the last refugee of the desperate when they have to fabricate facts and attempt to mislead others to try and discredit those with differing viewpoints…

prettty lame, see through and laughable.

emigrating ? emigrating = applying and asking to go somewhere with a skillset to be of use.

if I go to the US, Canada… it’s because I’m needed and welcome… having… ‘applied’. Waited for acceptance and won’t ask a cent or a second of help off anyone ;)

so reality as above vs that other poster and pie in the sky lies and accusations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Yes, i can hear you Clem.....oooh wait, what is that 'T'......as if you weren't enough of a prat already!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think they both said it. So yeah he probably said it first since his show was on the air first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

I thought of another..."hugs"

🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Louis Theroux is the latest I've noticed to jump on the woke doctrine as you call it. I guarantee he's trying to mask some controversy that he's desperate won't surface.

His own documentation of his friendship and close working relationship with Jimmy Saville worked out well for him in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement