Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Finnegans were one of the channels I kept watching ,when I cut way down of you tube time , a lot of variety and a lot of stuff i wouldn't normally come across, and I agree with you he's a pita ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Their workshop videos are interesting sometimes. The field work, not so much.

Mick has grown into it. Like many old mechanics he is a fountain of knowledge and has gotten really natural now with the camera in his face compared to the start.

Just stumbled on another Irish channel - The Irish Farmer. Not he what to make of it yet as I've only seen one video.

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

I think Finnegan's Farm went to the Ton Pemberton School of How to do a Farming YouTube Video.

Dramatic video names and thumbnails to draw you in but agree that most of the time the content isn't there. Some of the cattle videos were very interesting but the tractor work is hard watching. Must be awful tedious spending all day every day in the tractor doing mainly slow repetitive GPS-led field work.

Young lad needs to take it down a peg or two with the slagging aswell. Wonder do the other lads watch the videos and what do they think of it, especially the older fella (can't remember his name). I wouldn't fancy someone getting on like that and I'm only 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

I watch it and like it alot the camaraderie is great and u can tell they all get on great and are all part of the slagging ...as for comparison with Tom p.....its completely different and 100 times better hes trying to be cool and hip and I'm not into his vids at all

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Fair enough they're all into the slagging but sometimes I feel the slags aren't slags and are pot shots at lads to keep them in their place. He'll be the boss one day don't forget.

• Advertisement

Ah Jesus they are only young lads having the crack sure even the father gets in on it .......seems like a great place to work an I'd say the workers are treated very well and most are there for years and no I don't have a vested interest in the place ....unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’d say Calum would be some crack on a night out. Talented lad and a nice way about him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭straight

Everybody just wants to take offence these days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Totally agree and if anything he shows plenty of respect to the older lads working there IMO. He’s 20 odd years my junior but I would consider him a likeable sort (even for a Meath man). I’m sure the old lad wouldn’t have it it if he was disrespectful to the lads.

lads do get so easily wound up these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

@Say my name , these seem to have the right stud pattern.

Post edited by timple23 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Well said a bit of banter and fun, all seem to get a long and work hard. The lads mind the tractors so well, so many on the YouTube taking free stuff and promoting it, the latest one taking forage seed to sow after crops. Finnegans are top operators

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

i wasn’t knocking finnegans one bit. Jeez they are the type of operators we should all be looking at for inspiration. Was just my opinion on the young fella, he’s not the easist watch, he can be a bit patronising. Probably a bit to do with age too and being the boss’s son

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭farmerphil135

I’ve meet kaylem from finnegans a few times now and he’s a fierce sound lad and very capable with his hands.

also we bought the seed for the fodder crop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭ginger22

Thats the trouble when you raise your head and go public. Lads think the have a right to pass judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Gerry, best of luck with the new Deere! I wasn't expecting a machine that big when I opened the video. It makes sense, extra power for hauling on the road, ploughing and I guess pulling two mowers. I was admiring the looks of the new R series at the Tullamore show at the weekend, lovely machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Their a savage machine but that lady will be tipping well over 10 ton, contractor sunk one here with a wagon on back and she buried herself the crater is still in the field 3 years later , not a yoke I'd be going with on wet spongy ground in early spring at slurry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Base price

@IFarmWeFarm7615 - Well done on really nice video today showing your morning milking and paddock rotation routine. I know most of us on F&F are accustomed to dairy operations but the majority of non farming people don't have a clue. It's farmers like you that showcase the on the ground reality of the majority of Irish dairy family farms. Good on you and again, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭IFarmWeFarm7615

Cheers lad, ya i’ve noticed a lot of comments on both my own and several other channel are from people from the non farming background. That seems to be getting more and more popular over time. I think that’s a great thing, and is needed now more that ever. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GERRY6420

Thanks lads.yea happy with it so far. Bit of getting used to it compared to the 30 series but getting there. Was in the market for a fresh second hand one with 500 ish hours at the start but they were almost the price of new one. So went on ahead for a new one. Should be a good addition going forward….. I hope. I wouldn’t be too worried about the extra weight of it. I’d only see that as a bonus on working on our hilly ground giving bit more traction.

• Advertisement

For comparison the contractor here bought his 6215r in early 2020 for 135k plus vat premium edition, front links no pto, would 170k plus vat buy that tractor today our are they gone more again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tileman

Best of luck with it gerry. Some tractor. More power to you.

yea best of luck with it also jerry shes a real beauty......the 6920 will be the small tractor now .......

I don’t think u would buy it at anywhere near that. I bought mine 12 months ago and they have taken 4 price rises since I bought it. A premium would be 15-20k less the an ultimate

Hard to see how much longer contractors/farmers that would be buying really fresh second hand gear will keep investing, the sums of money involved now to change a tractor/loader if you don't have a sizeable deposit our high value trade-in on paper make no sense given what rates are for jobs and diseal prices, the tractor he traded in was a 2013 plate 6190r that he had bought from Germany in 2014 with 500 hours for 85k plus vat, the price inflation from then to now is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭tanko

Is farmer Phil after buying a new Kubota i wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Very much doubt that. Would be a huge change from the usual way of working there

I remember buying the 6930 in 2014, I gave 58k for it with 800 hours. A new 6150R was around 80k fully spec’d. 6155R fully spec’d is 140k now. Look at the stuff now that tractors are equipped with, all that **** for the emissions, gps, auto steer, rate & sectional control. all adds to the price. 8 years ago 1 in 10 tractors sold had all that gps stuff. Now 9 in 10 have it. Tyres alone are up over 30% in just over 12 months. It’s gone out of control. The 6930 is worth more today then what I paid for it 8 years ago. I almost got what I paid for my 6420s new back in 2004 when I sold it this may. Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭tanko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭roosterman71

No idea. He might be on here to tell all! If there is a change I'd say either a 7620 or something along those lines, or another old one like the 2650(?)

Advertisement