Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The awfulness of the "Be kind" social media mob

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Remember when the presenter Caroline Flack took her own life, and the hashtag #bekind started doing the rounds? Then it became people's signature, avatar etc. Did you ever notice that some people doing this are the absolute polar opposite to kind?

One example I saw was "Be kind" and then underneath that, "Kick out the foreigners".

And it's not just about the #bekind hashtag, it's about the hypocrisy of people who tear shreds off others for not meeting their standard of "kind", thus rendering themselves not very kind at all. In the case of Anne Heche, if someone said on the many threads that she chose to drive a car at speed under the influence of cocaine, and this destroyed someone's home, they were rounded on - reams of insults, comments about their appearance, stuff made up about their personal lives... cyberbullying. It's possible to feel compassion for Anne because of her difficult life, but also to acknowledge the choice she made. But according to the type I'm talking about, only one perspective is acceptable. It's ridiculous - shutting people down for making a comment (without abusive language or dismissal of mental illness/addiction) based on information in the public domain, shouldn't be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I reckon spiritually most people intent on influencing others, via their keyboards, are likened to putting their best face on to give the impression they give a phuck.

It is always the most excruciatingly painful spawn of narcissistic gits, who spend their lives cloaking themselves, from the actual reality, that they are self obsessed, deranged parasites, with more erroneous trite ideals about how their deluded perception of a modern utopic society should look like...than a Monday morning palaver of aeronautical marketing executives, who have just been informed that whoever fails to contribute an appropriate advertising catchphrase jingle to the CEO by COB on Wednesday should and will expect to lose their share options and be ignored for promotion for the next 2 years.

People really transform and reveal themselves when their livelihoods are jeopardised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Get you now.

Yes in respect of Anne Heche.I dont see it not being kind though, to say that she made a bad choice and another person apart from herself suffered life altering consequences through her actions is not saying anything bad about her.

And to use a similar example, I did notice some people on social media during coronavirus posting all types of conspiracy theories while at the same time saying support the frontline.

I would say the reverse also applies. You see some of the WOKE complaints here and its just people trying to shut down others opinions when speaking out against casual racism / sexism etc.

You also see daily women/foreigner bashing threads and anyone who pushes back must be woke/feminist etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Watch these fcukers like a hawk

same as the “male feminists”

most of us are “kind” naturally with our human nature

are they?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah it's not limited to one political persuasion. Couple of windup accounts pretending I'm saying something different to what I'm actually saying, but that's fine - to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Exactly. Similar things happened with Ryan Dunn of J@ck@ss fame (trying to get around boards censorship, hence my weird spelling) years ago. He drove drunk, crashed his car, and killed himself and another person.

You had all these people doing the 'tributes', but then Roger Ebert (RIP) came in with a zinger that ticked off his friends-something along the lines of 'Friends don't let other friends drive drunk'. And to be quite honest, he was right. If it had been an accident where alcohol or other substances were not involved, he'd have had my sympathies. But his reckless actions could have killed more than just him and his friend.

Heche, no conspiracy theory, wanted to kill herself. According to her own biography, her brother killed himself in the same way. She had a troubled upbringing, and Hollywood is none too kind to folks with issues. She had a podcast too, and in one of the final episodes, she was completely out of it. You could hear her 'snorting', a common tell-tale sign of someone on cocaine, and she was wearing sunglasses, which her co-host was not. The she proceeded to promote a movie she had made, under the wrong title.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I didn't automatically pick that up re Anne Heche. Has that been confirmed?

Took it as more reckless/careless /breakdown than deliberate.

Those fawning tributes from people who don't even know the person are sickening. Imagine if it had been a random nobody with a coke or alcohol addiction. You can be sure there wouldn't be a fraction of the forgiving. Or if it was someone well known and with a troubled past, but not liked - they wouldn't be long criticising such actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,877 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That's a trashy article and the salon owner is obviously looking for publicity.

It may or may not have been suicide, but she was under the influence which affected her judgement and ability to drive.

Some people are fake, some people aren't. Some people are just trying their best.

This isn't about fake. It's about people who actually think they're really kind.

Well if they think they're being kind but they're genuinely not... then they're being fake...

If they believe they're being kind what does it matter as long as they are actually being kind...it will have a good effect....(depends on the circumstances and context and motive of course )

If they are trying to be kind after being mean then let it go.

You can't really determine any of those things because you can't read peoples minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are the new Jesuit Priests.

People's character can be determined based on their behaviour.

Of course there's no issue with people being genuinely kind. How could anyone have a problem with that.

So when do you actually think anyone is being genuine in saying be kind? Never? They are just smug bastards?

Do you think saying to someone 'be kind ' is a bad thing?

Obviously not in and of itself, but if they're constantly being the opposite of kind themselves, then of course it's a bad thing.

• Advertisement

Have you actually read the thread?

Having #Bekind in your sig or bio, telling others to be kind etc., doesn't counteract acting like an asshole.

Most balanced people are capable of being decent and kind without prompting.

So all people that say 'be kind' are ****.. basically

But actual people who are being **** are just there being **** and people who are **** who say 'be kind' are just bigger ****...

So basically everyone is a ****....

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

There is a sizeable number on here who see anyone expressing kindness as 'virtue signalling'. And claim that being kind is part of a new authoritarian movement that is not about being kind at all, shock horror, but wanting to impose their wishes on those non-virtue signallers, who get cancelled etc for not towing the line. They spent years on the internet trying to intellectualise their prejudices away. No idea if OP is one of those or if there has been an unfortunate crossover of an argument that they like making.

"So basically..." and then a whole load of ranting and raving stuff that nobody said. Very honest approach.

What did you say again?

I don't want to get sucked into this lol

Honestly...I don't really care 😁😁

Personally I try my best to be kind to everyone but it doesn't always work that way...but I'm ok with myself because I know my own motive...I don't want to hurt anyone and I know I can only do so much...

Sometimes I look at people and say 'ugh yokes bragging about giving to charity when I know this and that about em' but Im also aware I don't know their whole situation either....

I'm also aware sometimes I ruin gossip/bitching sessions which I suppose are a normal part of ? Part of culture? Life? Anyhow! I normally just stay out of it and try my best to Be Kind 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Usually said by a muppet who has little hitler syndrome and wants to signal to all the other muppets that they are more kind and considerate than them

I love all these modern people that litter their social media with "be kind" "do something nice today" "it's nice to be nice", they're some shower.

If you have to tell someone you are kind and they need to be kind too - you're probably a fecking muppet and are probably a terrible human too.

That's a different thing - wearing being a dick as a badge of honour.

I'm talking about people who think they're kind, lecture others to be kind, and are the opposite to kind. I don't see what's unclear.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement