Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ruptured achillies tendon for Diego Carlos, that'll be him out for six months plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Really disappointed for him, absolutely bad luck.

Reminds me of the Wesley injury, not in terms of the injury itself.

At least we have cover here, I'd be more concerned had it been Kamara.

Speedy recovery Diego

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

We have cover but Carlos was going to dramatically improve us. Massive setback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

Reminds me of Luc Nilis!

Surely a loan option on the horizon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Terrible news about Carlos. That's a tough injury to fully recover from too. Absolutely rotten luck.

Fortunately we have numbers in the squad but maybe not the quality to sufficiently replace him. The 20m received for Chukwuemeka should go some way to getting a replacement.

The game on Sat was a good result but it told us nothing new about our team really. Buendia Is a much better option than Coutinho at this stage. Watkins is vital to the team for what he does well but his finishing and decision making on the ball at times is appalling.

Ings is our best finisher but doesn't offer much else in general play...if he contribute with regular goals he worth his place for sure.

McGinn and Ramsey both have something to offer but we need one of them to kick on now to higher level in terms of goals and assists to nake that a viable midfield.

Kamara looks a good player. Exactly what we have been missing.

Our backline continues to look shakey and nervous. I think Gerrard could be a very harsh manager behind closed doors. That might not help with the jitters we're seeing back there.

Our defending at set pieces is abysmal. If we go Man to Man then they need to be more dominant and commanding in the air. I think we need to mix up the zonal man marking personally. I feel we're also short one tall player between midfield and forwards to help out at set pieces. The Onana type player (height wise) we saw from Everton. I had hope Carney might have been that player for us long term. A pity.

Martinez coming off his line is our best chance at the moment of defending set pieces.

I'd like to see more of Archer and I was dissaspointed Kesler Kaine was sent on loan. I thought he was ready to contribute now but it won't do him any harm to have regular football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

No need to sign a CB. We have Mings, Chambers, Konsa, Hause, young lad Feeney (looks quality) for cover .......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Conor Cody loan would have been perfect. Alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Carlos was brought in for a bit of bite that none of our other options have. Konsa and Chambers wouldn't scare many forwards and Feeney is still too young for much more than cameo appearances.

Kamara looked really great on Saturday. He reads the game so well, always gives others an option, and the midfield that was so poor against Bournemouth were all much improved. I personally have been critical of both McGinn and Ramsey in the past but they both did very well.

Watkins remains a bit of a problem. His general play was back to his best but his finishing was woeful. You have to be scoring a lot more one on ones than you miss. A guy in front of me jumped up and blocked my view just as he was about to pull the trigger but I felt that he wasn't going to score anyway, so it was no surprise to hear the groans.

It was great to see out the game but it was far less comfortable than it should have been based on the balance of play.

What worried me when Konsa came on was a couple of his attempts to win the ball in the air, he barely got off the ground, we need more aggression in attacking the ball from him.

It's alarming how Konsa, McGinn, Watkins and Luiz have all stagnated, in fact went backwards. Under two different managers too.

Top half finish looking less and less likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can see the Joe Gomez links starting up again, on loan

• Advertisement

I doubt it, has signed a new contract.

And Liverpool have a few injuries.

But will they have defensive injuries when the window closes?

Not sure what you mean, Joe Gomez is not available anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Some reports have Hause in discussions with Watford. If he were to be let go and the club to have already known that arguably their best CB is out for most of the season while still having 2+ weeks in the transfer window you would think they would be looking at bringing someone in.

Kamara can play CB but I don't want him there, I want him being our specialized DM allowing the others more freedom and making the CBs look better. Similarly I think now is the time to either sh!t or get off the pot with Luiz. agree the new deal and start giving him game time in a non DM position so hopefully we can see the best of him or sell him and bring in the CM we need using the money (and the Carney money).

I mean, that if they have Van Dijk, Konate, Matip, Fabinho and Phillips all fit at the end of the window, they might look at a loan deal differently if they want Gomez to get some football, somewhere that are less likely to want to take him permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

There's absolutely zero point in signing a player with Gomez's injury record imo. He gets his form going and he's crocked again.

He's a really good player when fit imo but not much good to us if he's missing a big percentage of games every season.

The links are starting anyway. Duje Caleta Car who was previously linked / scouted being mentioned with Marseille in need of money and supposedly willing to accept as little as 11m euro due to him being in the final year of his contract is the story. 25 year old Croatian right footed CB who would obviously already know Kamara and was most recently linked to West Ham.

Hause out and a player like that in might not be bad business considering the Carlos injury. Weirdly I was just reading that he had been linked to Sevilla at one point too, as a possible Carlos replacement.

One new starter in our starting 11 since last season in Kamara now due to the Carlos injury.

That's pretty underwhelming.

Would be delighted with a CB on loan and a good CM player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Sanson apparently in talks with Besiktas

Turkish league is rated 20th I read, even the Scottish PL is a higher standard than that.

Thought Deli Alli was linked there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

It's not great but they have money and AFAIK the tax system there allows the players keep way more than say France.

THe problem with Turkey and the league having money is that it tends to be money for wages not necessarily big transfer fees which results in players going there on loan.

Traore undergoing his medical in Turkey today before his loan to the exact same club that already took Trez on loan this summer for example

Every day without hint of activity makes me worried by the club’s overall strategy.

Apparently Bednarek is being signed. Which might be more worrying than no signings.

I listened to Gerrard's interview today, he was asked a lot about transfers, his stock answer was that the club are always looking to improve the squad and if the right player becomes available etc etc.

Not much to be taken from that though, just manager speak. We’ll either sign someone decent or be fed a line about how there was nobody out there that could improve what was already there.

And whether one accepts that will ultimately come down to the level of faith you have in the people making footballing decisions at the club.

Absolutely, wishy washy language, but I guess you can't show your hand too much either and nor can you be saying signings are complete, just standard game playing from a manager.

Not sure about Bednarek, is he much better than Hause? Don't want to get lumped with a guy for 3 years etc.

I think Bednarek is pretty poor. Fine if it’s just a new 4th choice guy to sign Hause, but I did think they were going out to replace Carlos on loan for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Front 3 of Buendia, Watkins and Bailey. Excited to see how they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

bailey to watkins goal, thats 5G and 3A in his last 11 PL stats but lead doest last long zaha goal for palace

Well that didn’t last long, could be some game

Poor positioning by Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

2-1 down now.

Ruled out for offside. Lucky break.

poor from mcginn there, ball watching. should have been put out by kamara intillay i think but in any case ruled out for offside, 2nd best here

• Advertisement

Palace goal ruled out by VAR

Palace by far the better side. The midfield again weak. Would like to see Luiz get a chance to improve things.

Still level despite everything (Ayew chance, Konsa brain fart, VAR overturning a goal etc) and tbh there is no reason Villa couldn’t score again (Beundia almost did after all) and Knick all 3 points

could see Ramsey (barely heard his name) & Bailey for Luiz & Ings, That said Gerrard will probably swap Beundia & Gerrard.

It’s not often I watch Gerrard’s Villa and get the mildest idea that he has a clear plan. Truly awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Ramsey is seriously overrated as a CM. He has all the abilities of a winger, and thats it, he should be transformed into a winger, because he doesn't seem to have the abilities for what you need in the CM. Goes missing for most games in there.

As for Leon Bailey... time for the club to accept was a terrible signing and try to get rid and cut their losses and bring in a new wide player. He disappeared after the first 10 mins and hasn't been seen since.

Don’t think it’s Baileys fault at all. He’s there to play ball in their half. If we can’t get the ball there, that’s not on him. Even Buendia has only been able to show flashes of his brilliances.

The problems in the team are largely structural rather than individual. It’s an absolute f*cking mess.

• Advertisement

No pace on the bench at all.

Absolutely cannot stand Zaha.

Harsh penalty.

Digne the culprit, another signing that sounds good on paper but has absolutely no interest in defending.

It's so worrying that there's been minimum player improvements under Gerrard, most players have regressed, that is alarming given how many players he has at his disposal.

Hollywood manager. Hollywood signings. No plan. No improvement of players. He needs to go.

I predicted Ings for Bailey (and who knows he could score) but cmon Stevie he’s not the issue getting the players in his position the ball is the issue. I honestly don’t remember a single thing Ramsey has done this game.

maybe it means Beundia will come deeper and get on the ball more I suppose

some goal that, villa so so so poor, ripped open

Absolute shambles.

Diabolical.

We've been dominated since the 5th minute and no change to the system.

This is what kills me. He just swaps like for like as if it’s the player’s that are the problem and not the system. Palace have posed some very specific problems and we haven’t addressed any of them.

Sack this joker and bring in Potch.

There can be no argument to keep him. His signings have been awful, he's been backed, players have regressed, get rid now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement