Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think the official pad was ever good.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

Missed this during the show, it got a mention in the latest movie pitch

https://youtu.be/1fbBhcK0CDg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems that the chances of a Quake 2 Remaster turning up over the weekend just increased, the listing for Q2 has been updated in the Steam database including a new game description.

https://steamdb.info/app/2320/history/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wonder is there any chance of it being a free upgrade for folks who already have Quake 2 in their library?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd put money on it being that. Mostly likely it's a nightdive developed port like the excellent Quake port from last year.

Speaking of that Quake port, got to the second Machinegames expansion. The first one is very much in line with a more traditional Quake experience. The second one on the other hand really pushes the Quake engine to insane levels. The architecture is crazy in it and so far it's an amazing add-on

They've also been curating homebrew Quake campaigns and adding them to the launcher. It's pretty much getting a brand new 90's shooter every few weeks.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But not Xbox...

Bugger

Unfortunately not, both aren't on BC and they're not adding any more either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The hope was that Quake II would get a multiplatform release, as Quake did last year.

Also, hopes were high that Quake 4 would turn up on consoles too.

This looks incredible. Looks like a mix of Hard Corp, Hagane and Shinobi 3 from the devs of Blazing Chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Hope the emulation is up to snuff.

**remembers the 400 euro I spent on a bare cart of famicom gimmick and how customs chose that package to be the one to take a look at 🤬**

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

Cool, can't see it listed anywhere to preorder yet though

Line up is a little disappointing. A lot of weak Megadrive games mixed with some very welcome deep cuts. Seems to be a few original/unreleased games on it this time, those will be interesting.

Bit disappointed by the Sega CD line up. No working design games but I'd say they were a rights nightmare. No snatcher which was a western exclusive. Robo Aleste and Night Striker are nice. Also the two CD versions of Ecco are the definitive editions, ecco 1 is actually playable compared to the ball buster of a megadrive release even if the final stage is still stupidly hard and almost Ninja Gaiden final level dick move esque.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Glad it has a six-button controller at least, that was a mad omission from the western release of the last mini.

A few repeats that were on the Japanese or Asian Mini 1 too like Revenge of Shinobi and Alien Soldier. Hell Space Harrier 2 and the MD version of Ecco were on the NA/EU units of the first one.

MD version of Ecco though is hell. You don't want near that.

Here's an explanation of the lack of working design games on the system, sounds like there's hope for a rerelease of them on other channels:

Master of the Universe

I still think the three button Batman pad was the way to go with the last mini, it's a nostalgia console really rather than a serious thing anyone should be gaming on and the Batman pad is definitely part of the Megadrive's image.

I'd say it's fundamental to the Megadrive's visual aesthetic as the Snes pad is to the Snes.

You don't put Street fighter 2 on a machine with 3 button. That's torture!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Pressing start to access the kick buttons is part of the Megadrive experience! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If it's under €100 I might get one, provided it doesn't sell out or anything.

Tbh, I'm expecting this to end up around €140-€160 if it's drop shipped like the US version as we'd need to use Address Pal or another reshipper to buy it from Amazon UK and pay both UK and Irish VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Just read the sad news that Oli Frey is in the final stage of palliative care. He was the artist behind a large number of Crash and Zzap 64 covers, and with his partner was the driving force behind those magazines.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

**** Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

In the middle of probably my biggest retro computer restoration/repair, and I'm only learning now just how utterly inept UPS are. Three deliveries within the past two weeks of parts needed, and all three of them have been delayed....one of them lost/stuck in limbo so retailer needed to resend the order, and now the latest one I made is delayed again. Reading online, it seems they're almost universally seen as farcical 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Has to be a special hell for Ebay/Adverts sellers that don't give their items a good wipe before shipping. Who actually raised these animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭dav09

Useless postal service as I refer to them. Absolutely brutal, some of the worst experiences ever with them, often have watched the vans drive past the door and then get a notification 5 mins later saying 'Delivery attempt made' without them stopping. Then the package gets lost. I think this exact thing happed I believe 3 separate times with 3 packages in the space of the past 2 years alone, they have cost me so much money over the years with lost packages. Then delivering to the business never happens, they always say 'Well it's not opened on your opening hours so we didn't check the front door', so it means they can never deliver as our opening times are outside their delivery times. A few times they've delivered fine to me then other times it hasn't, more often that not I believe it hasn't they have a terrible track record here anyway, often getting things wrong/ false promises when you go to their parcel center to collect been made come back day after day. If ever someone want to send via UPS I make sure it doesn't come via them. I didn't know if it was just a thing locally or not but it's been infuriating stuff dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

If this is the dunking on UPS thread. I ordered something, UPS claimed after about 2 weeks that it had been delivered and I'd signed for it. Obviously I didn't, multiple emails to and fro, including lots of emails from them saying "but you signed for it".

Fast forward two more weeks, I get a text from someone saying they'd found my parcel on their front door step (they usually used back door and hadn't noticed it sat there) and I went and got it.

This address was 18km away, in a different county, their eircode started with a X, mine starts with an R and has no repeated numbers or letters to theirs! The parcel as well as having my Eircode also had my telephone number, they never bothered their hole using either :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The one postal service that continually fails at the one thing they are paid to do.

The fact that they won't call you to let you know they are arriving is enraging. You then ring the help line and they tell you that phoning is not part of their service.

Everything and anything possible to get the package delivered should be part of their service. If it's not, they shouldn't be delivering packages.

DPD are absolute delivery gods in comparison.

Advertisement