Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would i benefit from a road bike?

Options
  • 13-08-2022 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

I have ride a Cube LTD Comp bought at least ten years ago.

It spent most of those ten years sitting in my shed but like a lot of people I got bitten by the cycling bug during the lockdowns and Ive been cycling consistantly for around 2.5 years.

My question is if i would benefit from a better road bike?

I dont drive so my goal is to increase the distance i cycle to around 40-50k so i can travel to the next town or village. My biggest complaint about the Cube is the upright sitting position is not comfortable when you are facing 30kph+ coastal winds in an open area. I feel that it's holding me back.

I mostly cycle the moterways and the occasional secondary roads.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from what i can see, it's a hardtail MTB?

if so, yes, a road bike would be better; you don't need the fromt suspension on a road bike, and it will make the bike heavier anyway.

do you know anyone who has a road bike around your size that you could borrow? also, depending on what it's currently shod with, you could make your current bike more usable on the road if you put slicks on it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume when you say motorways, you mean dual carriageways such as the N4 past Lucan (cyclists and pedestrians aren't allowed on motorways)

I bought a Giant hardtail hybrid about ten years ago and was possibly a poor buy as I'd have gotten more from out of a road bike. I still don't use it much at all.

However, for you, a road bike so be faster with or without wind and with a bit of practice, 40 or 50km will be easy enough.

What kind of budget have you and can you avail of the cycle to work scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 theObserver

I can avail of the cycle to work scheme plus a corporate discount of 12% if i buy from the CycleSuperStore (but a huge amount of their bikes are currently out of stock). I was hoping to find a decent bike in the 1 - 3k range.

Double check with them as I've a feeling that the 12% loyalty discount is not available to Cycle To Work bikes; only accessories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Probably only if a middleman is involved, I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

It will make a big difference, on a road bike you won't have your shoulders as wide apart or as high causing massive wind resistance.

If you have stuck with it for 2.5 years on a mtb then I think it's unlikey a new road bike will just be left in the shed gathering dust.

I'd recommend an endurance road bike, aluminum frame, carbon fork, tiagra groupset and make sure the frame and wheels can accommodate fairly wide tyres for comfort.

Maybe someone with more knowledge could recommend some brands and models.

They said the discount applies to 90% of bikes and accessories but "some items may be exempt".

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

l don’t think the ‘VIP discount’ applies to bikes and if using one of the cycle to work voucher admin approaches, there’s a 10% clawback. From their site:

• Discount does not apply to purchase of bicycles, Tacx, Wahoo products, gift cards or workshop labour charges.
    • Full VIP discount does not apply if payment is made by Bike to Work Vouchers. A claw back of 10% on Bike to work or one4all vouchers or similar payments will be made

But maybe your company has a 12% corporate discount scheme that’s something different to VIP scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I had a courier bike (7 gears, slim tyres, straight handlebars). Borrowed a road bike from a friend, bought one soon after (Canyon Endurance AL 7.0), joined local cycling club and haven't looked back.

Road bike- better sitting position, has the drop handle bars if you want to push it or going downhill. It's also lighter. I'd strongly recommend to get proper bike clips & shoes.

You'd get a good bike for €1k, Cyclesuperstore have several instore around that mark- https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?sort=PriceASC&withstock=1&idCategory=35&pageno=1&idSupplier=0

The Rose Pro SL (€1,400) is meant to be a lovely bike- https://www.rosebikes.com/bikes/road/endurance/pro-sl

^ That rose is very decent value at 1400 in the current market.

• Advertisement

Yep, you are correct :( . Its a 12% discount at the cycle super store or the cycle work scheme, but not both.

I'm starting to settle on the Rose PRO SL (but ill have to forgo the cycle-to-work scheme and they only sell a single model/size on their irish website)

Or the Giant Defy Advanced range, probarly the Giant Defy Advance 2 or 3. The Advance 3 is 200eur more expensive than the Rose PRO with the savings from the cycle-to-work scheme is deducted.

Anyone have any thoughts or have owned either of these bikes?

AFAIK you can also order from rosebikes.com whilst still availing of the Cycle To Work scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭DJB030244

Rose reveal is a beauty in the purple/ blue . Would grab one in a heartbeat if available

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I had a giant defy 2 2020. I didn't really know what a decent road bike should be like as I was new to that type of cycling. It was €2250 at the time, now €2750. A very good bike but heavy and the wheels can be rubbish. It's not worth nearly 3k.

As mentioned on another thread, I sold it cause i was stuck for a few quid and bought a 2nd hand canyon endurance for €950. It's nearly 2kg lighter and better than the defy in everyway. Light, fast and oddly enough more comfortable than the defy yet the defy has dfuse technology front and rear. The canyon is great fun to ride as its so light and quick whereas the defy is like something your grandad gets out on a Sunday to cycle with the grandkids.

So now I know what a road bike should be like. Simple, elegant, light and fast. I'd never buy a current mainstream bike brand new again.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

The Rose will be shipped with the right-hand lever operating the rear brake and the left operating the front brake (i.e. the reverse of the normal Irish setup) and no, they won't reverse it for you.

The rosebikes.ie site is broken and has been for months. If you can manage German, you can see what's available at https://www.rosebikes.de/rose-pro-sl-105-2693206?product_shape=mandarin+red.

"Deine Farbe" = "your colour"

"Deine Rahmengröße" = "your size"

Another thing about the Pro SL: the max tyre clearance quoted is 25mm (even though the calipers can clear 28). Maybe you'd get bigger tyres in there, but I wouldn't buy it on that expectation.

According to this thread, someone has 30 mm Continental GP 5000s on theirs and someone else has 28 mm Continental 4 Seasons: https://www.rennrad-news.de/forum/threads/rose-pro-sl-105-felgenbremse-maximale-reifenbreite.178270/

Post edited by ARX on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Book a phone call from Rose - https://www.rosebikes.com/services/help-and-contact

I ordered my Canyon direct from Canyon and claimed the btw scheme, presume you could do the same with Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

The Rose will be shipped with the right-hand lever operating the rear brake and the left operating the front brake (i.e. the reverse of the normal Irish setup) and no, they won't reverse it for you.

It's handy enough to get used to the brakes on opposite side in my experience. I'd had some experience riding bikes in France, but I inadvertently (read "like a big stupid eejit was in a rush to finish the job and didn't pay attention") swapped the brakes on my main road bike when installing a new groupset. I couldn't have been bothered unwrapping the bars to swap them again, so left them as is. It was never a problem even considering my other bikes have brake set up in Irish/UK style.

Advertisement