Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Be afraid people, be very, very, VERY afraid:

Ireland weather: Brutal Atlantic blast to smash country this weekend but Met Eireann forecast U-turn

Anita McSorley - 7h ago

Ireland weather: Brutal Atlantic blast to smash country this weekend but Met Eireann forecast U-turn (msn.com)

And look, they even have a photo of a young woman holding an unbrella in the rain 😦😲😲

Terrifying stuff.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

I'm just imagining I lived in a cabin in Ireland around 1720 and spent most of my life outdoors.

I was told that in 300 years time in Ireland 'journalists' or those who wrote for newspapers would warn people all over the country about a normal wet and breezy day in August. 1700s man would surmise that the men and women of the future would surely die out for being so soft and pampered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

As Friday is the first day of the weekend I must say the brutal weather we had today was terrifying in Sligo. Over 1mm of rain and 8 hours of sunshine and temperature of 19c.

Tonight might be wet a while but just some showers tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Tonight might be the night if it stays clear up north, cloud rolling in now so not looking great.

The solar wind has picked up this evening, just need the magnetic field to flip South.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Flew back into Kerry today from Alicante, met a massively different Kerry to the one I flew out of a week ago. Chilly, overcast, spats of rain and the rain finally came down this evening. Good luck Rose of Tralee festival! I'm wrecked as I had a lot of things to do over, running around in the August heat of southern Spain. So a few days of this muck might actually suit me to lie low and take it easy. But feck it I hope there's more of decent weather to come! I really hate coming back to seeing everyone already attired for autumn, big fecking jackets and thick shoes. 😥 Everyone practically naked when I was leaving. I've spent about 6 weeks of summer here in Kerry since early June and 5 of them were quite crap. 😒 Fingers crossed the fat lady hasn't finished singing yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Although there is more chances of seeing the Northern lights in the long term especially from 2nd till 5th September, low to medium chances from 5th till 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Torrential rain for the last hour. Co. Leitrim

Very normal weather till the end of August. Some warm sunny spells some rain nothing extreme at either end but quite surprised to see dead grass in Sligo on return yesterday. We have had rain. In London it was all dead. In Arklow restricted growth but not as bad on way to Dublin as I thought it would be.

London weather was mixed but there mixed is 25c every day though after Wednesdays 3 hour deluge there it got to a cool 16c which was pleasant. Metro was uncomfortably warm retains the heat from Summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The burnt grass here in Meath is nearly gone, mostly green grass again after the downpours earlier in the week. It doesn't take much rain for the grass to turn from yellow/brown back to green.

• Advertisement

That rain belt isn't making much progress. It's been 2 hours since it reached Westmeath and hasn't reached Offaly yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was hoping that rainband would have become alot ligher and broken up by now but if anything it's becoming heavier and larger in area. Could be a fairly wet afternoon to come if it's moving so slowly and could dump a fair deal of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Surprised with forecast that still bone dry in Meath. 19⁰. Very breezy.

I see the radar has the precip just above us all morning. It feels 'like it's boiling for a shower' as my mother would say. Black clouds floating around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kutebride

That was meant to post 40 mins ago.

Was coming back on now 14:11 to say raining now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

Still waiting for it here near Trim. Put clothes out earlier in pure hope and they’re fully dry now. Only prob is off to a garden party at 5, they changed the time to allow the band to pass but now it’s moving so slow, we’ll be in the thick of it at that time! It may be indoors now 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well the rain started about 8am and is still at it 5 hours later. I'm glad I cut the lawns yesterday.

Still waiting on the rain here at Dunshaughlin. Been a very breezy but warm afternoon, reached 22C earlier now 21C and a bit more cloudy.

Ye quite a difference in temperature 23c in dublin to a 15c in the west, rain only stopped here an hour before, sun trying to pop out

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

No rain at all this week in north Offaly. Can see it in the distance at the minute. Grass very tight for animals and wells starting to run into bother. Going to take a lot to turn things around. Fingers crossed sept a wet month. Hopefully models wrong for next eeek and we get a wet week

Today really shows how local our weather can be.

Westmeath is having a sloppy day and Offaly and Laois fine for the most part. South Laois, and south of that line, looks like getting little rain today.

• Advertisement

That band of rain has basically reached here now but is breaking up fast right over my head. Only a few drops of rain from it, not enough to wet the ground. More noticeable tho is the drop in temperature, a rather cool 18C now compared to 22C just over an hour ago. Sun is back shining.

Monday onwards looks like we'll be back into the low twenties for most of the week with hopefully more sunshine.

Sunny in Sligo after 6mm of rain around 7 to 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Decent enough day in Cork, breezy but warm in the sun, staying between 20C and 22C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Somehow the day is grim even though it's quite sunny in south dublin. That wind is just a mood killer but fine if you just want to see some bright weather but every so often it's very strong and is making it feel quite autumnal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Had i known you wanted the the rain Gonzo i wouldn't of hogged it here all day 😁

From thinking at 9am this morning the rain shouldn't last too long to thinking will it ever clear. 38mm in the gauge today, about 27mm of that between 11 & 1 when there was some short torrential bursts. Temperature hovered between 13 & 14c all day but it didn't feel overly cool out. The Sun only came out at 5.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Drops of rain in Kildare. Was expecting much more.

just had a shower here now, enough to wet the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful calm mild morning in Kerry, been a great weekend, missed the rain apart from a few drops. 15.4C atm

a lovely morning here in Meath too, warm and sunny.

The coming week doens't look too bad, mostly dry but there could be some rain or showers on Thursday. The next few days should be mild reaching around 20 or 21C before cooling back towards the mid teens next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭giveitholly

No washout so far,I presume some parts of the North saw rain yesterday but no where near 40mm. Majority of the south of the country has stayed dry so far

Advertisement