Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What exactly constitutes "World Class" anyway?

Top 3 in their position at a given moment in time?

Top 5 in their position on an "all-time" basis?

Making a theoretical "World XV" at a given time?

Or perhaps does it mean - "Would be an International for any country during their time" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just a post in appreciation of Josh Van der Flier. He was Ireland's best player across the New Zealand tour as well as our best player in the 2022 Six Nations. He had one if the best seasons an Ireland played has ever had imo. Just consistent excellence.

His performances caught the eye if the New Zealand rugby media as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Speed to the breakdown is key to both Irelands and Leinster’s gameplan and anyone who opts for bulk over that is on a fools errand. His work rate is second to none and offers more than just tackles around the pitch. I think Farrell will opt for Connors when both are fit and we’ll pay for it offensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

With John Ryan gone I reckon things could get a bit hairy at tighthead for a World Cup squad if there's bad luck with injuries and Marty Moore's concussion issues don't clear up. There's excellent quality in the first three options - Furlong, Bealham and O'Toole - but what if one of them is unavailable come World Cup time? You're looking at Healy switching over, or picking one of Archer, Knox, Salanoa, Clarkson, Abdaladze, Aungier, Robertson-McCoy and Milasinovich in the 33-man squad.

Imagine one of the top three options misses the tournament through injury and then another one of them is unavailable for a key game. If Healy or one of the 8 players listed above had to be sprung from the bench early it could be the losing of the match. It would be reassuring to have a fourth choice of the calibre of Moore available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Shehal

For Connors over who? VDF? No chance, VDF is absolutely nailed on.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

After VDF’s season there isn’t a hope in hell Connors gets back in ahead of him barring injury.

VDF is looking at a World Player of the Year nomination. Connors has never played at that level.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what is this alternative reality youre living in???

please furnish us with the reasons why YOU think that farrell would pick connors over VDF when both are fit??

Size and bulk. And ability to take down big men. FYI - I agree it would be the wrong choice to make.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

From an attacking perspective, we don’t require as much size and bulk due to our playing style.

From a defensive perspective, Connors chop tackling maybe shades VdF’s, but his tackling is pretty exceptional as well. And we gain more with his superior linespeed.

I don’t think we’ve seen anything from Farrell’s selections in the last year or more to suggest he’d favour size and bulk.

Farrells picked Connors over VDF at the start of his tenure. I don’t see any chance of it happening now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Coombes would be starting regularly if there was any truth in him preferring bulk over speed/athleticism.

Yeh I seem to remember him picking Connors over VDF after a pretty stellar season for VDF? Hadn’t he come off two MOM performances in Europe in the preceding season only to be dropped? Might have been a bit far back but the season before he was dropped he was in great form?

Edit- it wasn’t the season before it was the same season

2019/20? VdF wasn’t hitting anywhere near the form he hit this season. Especially in an Ireland shirt.

I think it’s a pretty big leap to point to that as a reason Farrell will still favour Connors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think someone is a bit bored today.

VDF had a temporary blip after lockdown and Connors got a chance, but he's not really in the same class at all. He'll be vying with Timoney for a training squad spot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Time has lost all meaning. It feels like 5 years since Connors played for Ireland but it's been less than 18 months!

We need to pick players that suit the way we want to play, adding players just for size and bulk isnt picking a player based on the way Ireland want to play.

But at the time we had just been dominated by England the year before and we needed someone in to counteract the two Vunipolas. I suppose it’s irrelevant now. Ruck speed trumps size for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Connors is tall but he's really not particularly bulky. I wouldn't view his as a more physical player than VDF at all. Maybe in defence, but Josh has brought real aggression to his attacking game (very insightful analysis, I know!)

If we're looking for size/power in the 7 jersey than Timoney is our guy, not Connors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

And I think we forget how good he was too tbh. I wouldn't have him (or virtually any 7 in the world) ahead of VDF but Connors was performing well at international level. Timoney also playing quality rugby.

• Advertisement

It’s mad. Someone pointed out to me the other day that 2023 is just over 4 months away. Covid has completely messed with people’s perception of time.

Amazing, how long has it been since there was a loud call for Connors to be the Irish 7 for the next ten years when Josh was close to his peak. Sounds like revisionism.

Eh, sorry, what? I don’t remember anyone calling for any player to be the Irish anything for the next 10 years. Sounds like a straw man.

There was plenty on other forums calling for that specifically. And comparing him to Penny who would be sub 50 caps but Connors who would be be over over 50 caps. I think it was Ionadpot on this forum. He might be right, over 50 requires 5 full seasons starting but if Josh is as nailed on as people here believe he will be wrong

Post edited by Itxa on

…he will be wrong

You mean you will be wrong.

Okay put it this way, he's 3rd behind Sexton & Furlong in the undroppable category. There is 0% chance he'll be dropped unless he has a disastrous turn of form next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Josh VDF is not remotely in danger of losing his position unless something absolutely drastic happens. And certainly not to Connors.

Ok what is Josh now 29? He’s got another 4 years in him as he’s in good nick. That will mean Connors will be 28 at the time Josh retires.

Assuming he gets 5 straight years as first choice at that point is generous considering the likes of Timoney are around now pushing for a place.

So I don’t see how I’m wrong and Ionadpot will be right assuming Josh doesn’t get injured in the interim and Timoney doesn’t skip past him in the pecking order. Explain how I am wrong.

Explain how I am wrong

Because this…

Assuming he gets 5 straight years as first choice at that point

… wasn’t your initial argument. This was:

I think Farrell will opt for Connors when both are fit

• Advertisement

I’m basing the second statement off other peoples opinions hence the “assuming”. And yes I believe Farrell likes his players big and bulky particularly when we’re playing England or France.

However, on contemplation, and basing off what’s seems to inside knowledge such is the belief on here in Josh’s superiority, and basing my opinion on the fact that some people on here are indeed school friends of Cullen and Smith and have insight into the inner working of Leinster and Ireland, I would hazard a guess that it won’t happen

Advertisement