Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What do you think it`s due to, big business investing in renewables for the good of society or the planet ?

Of course it`s about profit. Profit state guaranteed that the ordinary Joe Soap will be paying for long into the future, and profits further boosted by the green marginal pricing policy and taxonomy policy.

At least oil companies have the excuse of a war resulting in higher volume resulting in higher profits, what is renewable energy companies excuse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Exactly the conclusion I have come too, the greens are authoritarian and growing increasingly fascist. If they ever got any real power they would be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

Classic misconception. Oil companies don't set the price of oil. Prices are set by traders around the world based on supply and demand and, to a lesser extent, by national governments of oil producing countries via OPEC.

Sure, the oil companies make money when the price is high. ExxonMobil made $26 bn in the year to June. They also LOST $22 bn in 2020. Unless you think that they intentionally gave away oil for less money than it cost to produce, you will realise that they are price takers not price setters. Have a look at Apple -- who charge huge mark-ups on stuff made with Chinese sweatshop labour -- and whom our government bent over backwards to avoid taking any tax off. They are vastly bigger than Exxon in terms of both revenue and profits:

So are your renewables suppliers more like Exxon or more like Apple? Truth is, they're better off than either. Even Apple can't guarantee demand for their products regardless of price. But renewable energy suppliers get a guaranteed price for decades in advance without having to worry about whether their customers can afford it. Nice work if you can get it.

Furthermore, they don't have to either care what happens when they are not producing, or pay for all the backup generating capacity needed. That's not part of their levelised cost of electricity. They can claim to be the "cheapest form of energy available" while bemused customers wonder why the price has gone up so much for all this "cheap" energy.

None of this is a big secret or remotely surprising. Companies that own oil wells are investing in renewables. Why wouldn't they? They've found the magic money tree that keeps on paying out guaranteed profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Germany: "New enemies of the state are establishing themselves"

Reul believes that setting up a general crisis management team for a possible energy crisis is premature. However, the police must remain able to work. "We have additional tanks, 40 tanks with a capacity of 40,000 liters, which we are now distributing to the police across the country so that we can be deployed anywhere if there is an emergency," said the interior minister. You are also prepared for the event of a blackout. More than 100 satellite phones have been ordered for the police to be able to communicate in the event of a power failure.

State preparing the police to go to war against their own people in Germany i.e. "the enemy within". The state of North Rhine-Westphalia is run by a coalition of the CDU and Greens. Mr. Reul is CDU. There is much unrest developing world wide and Green policies to restrict energy and food production are significant contributors. The policies have been in place long before 2022. The Irish government (FG/Labour) signed on with the EU to the Paris agreement in 2015, The "gilets jaunes" began in 2018, The Dutch farmers have been protesting since 2019, The Urgenda case succeeded in the Netherlands in 2019. Irish politicians declared a "climate emergency" in 2019. The lock downs started in 2020 and disrupted global supply chains, kicking off an inflation spiral, Sri Lanka banned fertiliser in 2021, Canadians truckers rebelled in 2022, the Russian invasion restarted in 2022. The price of fertiliser had already shot up prior to the Russian invasion. The green policies are continuing to restrict the use of fertiliser, energy and food production. It's not just the Green party, all the political parties are signed on to this. Prepare for more unrest.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You are the one who doesn't get it. 'big business' is not necessarily a bad thing. Any industry that supplies any significant portion of global energy demand will be 'big business' (whether state owned or privately owned)

Governments should regulate these businesses to ensure they meet the standards deemed to comply with the public interest.

The price of energy to consumers is a different discussion to the cost of producing that energy. Look at the UK today. The cost of energy is going up for everyone but with no energy cap for commercial users, it's increasing by over 1000% for small businesses but 'only' by 100% for residential. The costs to make\import that energy are the same but different regs mean vastly different prices

If you want cheaper electricity prices to consumers in Ireland then instead of sh1tting on renewables for no good reason, support a political campaign to demand it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Authoritarian, fascist! there is no political party like that in Ireland, give it a rest. Jesus Christ 🤦‍♂️

Lol. You think 'the greens' are the biggest threat of fascism at the moment? That's ridiculous on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Thankfully Irish people aren't stupid enough to let the Green cranks into power with a free reign. They'll always get the leafy D4 set giving votes but most people see through the utter garbage policies they try to hoist upon us.

The oil industry have received trillions of euros in state subsidies over the years and mobilised armies to go to war to protect/gain access to oil resources

Renewable energy requires investment which needs to be attractive to investment.

Or governments could borrow the money to do it themselves..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Posted by Akrasia:

If you want cheaper electricity prices to consumers in Ireland then instead of sh1tting on renewables for no good reason, support a political campaign to demand it

You REALLY think that will lead to cheaper electricity prices? Really?? You don't think that the cost of all that investment plus profits would be recouped?

Leaving aside that the primary renewable here - wind - isn't a dependable or consistent source of energy, requiring still MORE investment.

It's a con. Just like the whole electric car fad it shifts the problem elsewhere - in that case to mines extracting the raw materials needed for the batteries, or the attempts to restrict European and Irish agriculture so the problem can be moved to South America and the further destruction of the rainforest.

Plus personally I don't WANT to give up the few luxuries and comforts I have so the local Greens can get the feelz while the likes of China, India, the USA and others do whatever they want. I work hard and I expect to have more to show for it than sore feet or the prospects of energy blackouts to look forward to because of their short-sightedness.

• Advertisement

Well FF, FG must bursting their sides at the joke they’ve pulled on Paddy for the last 80 years. Fool me once they say👀 but then turn around and vote them back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

You're all over this site preaching how "we" must cut C02 emissions - i.e. pontificating. You were posting pictures of dead leaves in London a few days back comparing the scene to late September. I highly doubt you cycled across the Irish Sea and down the UK's M4 to grab that picture...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Jesus. Thats a % on the original finite 100%

I have a Cake. I cannot eat 101% of the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What`s not to get, that this green energy revolution was supposedly to give us low carbon, secure energy at an affordable price ?

It simply has not done that nor is there any indication that it will before Irish Green Party policy totally wrecks our economy beyond repair. Big business does not care if the energy they supply is "good" or "bad". They only care about the bottom line on their balance sheets. It`s not governments job to get into bed with big business to facilitate that, which is what has happened due to green policies on state price guarantees, marginal pricing and taxonomy. It`s their job to monitor big business on behalf of those that elected them.

The Irish Green Party have gone further than most in facilitating big business making gigantic profits from those policies, and now the birds are coming home to roost bringing possible blackouts with them.

On energy security not only have the Irish Green Party used strong arm tactics to facilitate these renewable energy companies by stripping away conventional energy supply to favour intermittent unreliable renewables that now leaves us staring blackouts in the face, they intend doing more of the same with yet more conventional plants while ignoring the warnings they have been given by our own energy regulator and have further exacerbated the problem attempting to ban LNG, banning exploration and hand sitting on permits. Rather than accessing and learning from this, for Irish greens it`s eyes closed, fingers in ears and drive on with the cart before the horse adding more expensive unreliable renewables with no idea of the expense involved with nothing but the hopium that some day that nobody knows when it will all work out.

The affordable price idea you have only to look at your electricity bill to see how that has worked out, and when we are guaranteeing a strike price for just on-shore and solar at the same level as U.K. nuclear it says all that needs to be said imo.

Lol, being preached to by those that won't even be Affected by the blackouts here. Can't make it up. Must be great having safe green nuclear power as a backup. 🤣

Only thing worse is being preached to by a bunch of know nothing barstool idiots.

Anything to add bar nonsense.

How will we keep the lights on till 2050. Where will we get the gas. Where will we store the gas when needed to. When the wind does not blow and the sun does not shine what will we use for power. Just a few to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Who's preaching anything? It is a fact that we cant carry on consuming as is the planet is finite and become more and more polluted.

And why are people getting into people's personal living situations? A bit weird no?

I can't help with the last sentence. I assume If people don't want to be found they dont post stuff that leads them to be found. 🤨 Not being personal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just think it's sad that people are trying to catch me out because they saw I was in a different country. The spirit of creepy Gozunda lives on.

• Advertisement

If you are given a share of a cake and you eat 101% of that share you have a journey to makeif humans cause 1.4c of warming but the planet was in a cooling phase and would have cooled by.1c then the observed warming is 1.3c and humans caused 1.4c. greater than 100% of observed warming

I'm not playing silly math games. A 5 year-old know you cannot eat more than 100% of a cake the cake is the 100%. It's like saying your increasing the chance of getting cancer by 110% where your chance is actually 6%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

They say lotteries are a tax on stupidity. Well looks like climate change is the new lotto except we're all being forced to pay for it.

You just have to laugh at how outrageous the media coverage is. Today they were showing ancient stone circles that revealed themselves in Spain due to low water levels - the narrative of course being "while this is interesting it shows how damaged our climate is"

Eh, no it doesn't. It shows us that hundreds/thousands of years ago the water levels were sufficiently low to allow people to build structures in places that are now normally submerged. 🙄

Also, weren't they saying that sea levels are rising at a dangerous rate? And that low lying countries would be under x meters by 20XX? They haven't peddled that in a while. Why are low water levels all of a sudden a big concern?

Much like they haven't peddled the 'hole in the ozone' story in a few years now. 'Global warming' becoming 'climate change' due to the gigantic freeze of 2010.

The whole thing is one big joke. And if it wasn't destroying our economy I would have the popcorn out and have a good solid laugh at all the dummies.

Yeah it's mad alright. There are neolithic remains off the coast of Japan for example. There used to be a country off the UK and France before a great flood. most of the ice is already displaced I have no Idea where all the extra water is to come from to raise levels that extreme. Every culture has a story about great floods around the same time.

You just have to laugh at how outrageous the media coverage is. Today they were showing ancient stone circles that revealed themselves in Spain due to low water levels - the narrative of course being "while this is interesting it shows how damaged our climate is"

Eh, no it doesn't. It shows us that hundreds/thousands of years ago the water levels were sufficiently low to allow people to build structures in places that are now normally submerged.

You are referring to this article

RTE news : European drought exposes some long-submerged treasures

The reason they are visible is because of the water level in the reservoir which is down to 28% capacity due to the drought

And there was no water there before probably the issue due to the area having droughts before.

• Advertisement

It's not my fault you don't get it. It's pretty simple

Advertisement