Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Maby there stocked that way because there not blessed with a large single block and as I alluded to earlier have fragmented blocks …..where’s the issue as long as said farmer is compliant re storage and can actively show that nutrients are been shared around ….heavily stocked compliant farmers who treat slurry and nutrients etc as sn asset and transfer it to all ground are not the issue ….it’s the messers and lads out pipping slurry all winter that are

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anything is possible but it’s hard to see how the Gov could impose or monitor a stocking rate on the milking platform only. I’m guessing you might have to declare on your SFP application which fields are MP and which are not, but who’s going to check whether a 20-acre field that’s 2km from the parlour is really on the MP? All of a sudden, you’d have lads claiming their cows could walk 5km to paddocks morning and evening.

The MP stocking rate doesn’t sit well beside the high SR Teagasc are pushing either. If Gov were seriously considering this, there’d be some hint of it in the Teagasc advice but they’re still talking about discovering magical technologies that’ll mean no one has to change a thing.

And speaking of technology, didn’t Grueller raise a good point here about zero-grazing. If the lower MP stocking rate comes in, then will the zero-grazer be redundant?

None of it stacks up. But that’s not to say Gov might try something bizarre at some stage.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭straight

It's possible to create a definition for anything now and write it into legislation and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭cosatron

In all the area aid maps its as clear as day what the mp is via road network and connection to the milking parlour. The government won't tolerate lads claiming that they walk to cows 5 km up the road to a field when in reality it doesn't happen and I think this is what they want to eliminate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

Will the area aid maps see the silage, maize or zero grazer grass in the feed passage? There are more ways to choke a cat than with butter.

• Advertisement

What has that got to do with the conversation, if the government implement a stocking rate at say a cow an acre on your milking platform, there will be no need for zero grazers, silage fed etc unless we are suffering from severe drought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Why should the gov. emplement such a drastic move ,when water quality in our rivers does not seem a problem .Most of the over stocked milking platforms locally have either got out,scaled back or leased a 2 nd dairy set up but it suits some lads starting up to stock mp at high level to get established and I dont see the problem if they are not polluting water ways .A guy with a broken down yard is probably causing more pollution !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If a lad starting up wants to stock high or any level min requirements should be cubicle per cow feedspace per cow and slurry storage in place …..loading on cows and worry about facilities later has played big role in where we are now and what we are going to have to do ….water quality in our rivers/lakes is a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Bang on..

Most "grazing" herds in Europe are on tiny milking platforms. Was on a "signpost equivalent" farm in France earlier in the year....Cows had full time access to grazing...100 cows could go out to 5 acres..

Can't see how they could victimise Irish farmers .

We will see. This is the way the government are heading in my opinion and if take a look at any epa report the water quality is deteriorating and farming is going to be the fall guy

• Advertisement

Water quality is going in the wrong direction, especially eutrophication of estuaries. That's why derogation is being cut. That's why all those BS rules are being added in to get derogation. Everyone knows the reason why people are overstocking. The thing is that the reason is not an excuse. It's like expecting to be able to drive home from the pub because you live far away.

You are basically blaming farmers for polution in our rivers ,yet 95% of septic tanks are not working,70% of sewerage from villages,towns and cities right across the country flow into these rivers untreated yet you blame farmers .We do live in some banana republic with farmers turning on each other when you should be directing your grievances at county councils for zero adherence to their own polution laws

I'd say you need to educate yourself on what is facing us and don't be burying your head in the sand.

Our cows methane isn't the issue either but that isn't stopping them cutting our herds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,710 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

When I ring to inform our local county council their sewerage is overflowing into our river their reply now is that's Irish water's problem...

To tell you the truth ,I am nearing 50,my money made and dont give a rats arse but I wont turn on fellow farmers on a public forum to give vested interest more ammunition

It amazes me how some farmers are so uninformed. I look up to the guys on my discussion group and when they were told recently about banding and derogation being cut it was all news to them. No wonder they can bring out such stupid regs when farmers don't get involved on policy discussion.

My point about the MP stocking rates is that it is the biggest cause of nitrate pollution to my eyes and the genuine farmer is being punished for the gluttony of the few. But sure, whatever you think yourself. Once you've your money made you'll be fine anyway.

Everything. Your milking platform is anywhere that you can go with the zero grazer and a slurry tanker.

Actually, I have a friend stocked at 2.2 to the hectare and is zero grazing as his land is in 8 different pieces.

You're friend must have a fair horn on him for cows to be at that messing.

I'd love to know what his actual MP stocking rate is. I forget the figures now but the amount of nitrates in one cows piss even is huge. Imagine the nitrates being pissed and sh1t into his soil in such a concentrated area. But sure he probably has them toilet trained to go in to the slatted tank.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

GHGs and air emissions can’t really be measured but river water can. It's nitrates in water that’s driving policy. The EPA are all over water quality coz it’s easy for them to monitor but they’ve very little to say on GHG coz they can’t monitor the sky.

The issue will be if water quality doesn’t improve, and it’s improvement shouted from the rooftops by farm reps, then broad agenda-driven restrictions will be brought in.

Its water quality that’s behind the tightening of derogation not GHGs.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

the Slaney is one of the worst polluters rivers in the country yet it’s not a heavy dairy area, if highly stocked dairy farms are the problem explain that one too me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I drew 200k gallons of slurry 8 miles this year

and will do it again next year too

just because you don’t have to mightn’t need to increase your milk sales doesn’t mean others don’t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Good man.

I find it incredible that livestock are being blamed for the burning of fossil fuels and climate change, but I reckon that gov/epa etc are using the guise of ‘emissions’ to halt the decline of water quality. It’s an easy sell to the populace. Look to Holland… badly sold/packaged to farmers/populace, but it’s not going to change because the Eu are now involved. Kildare St. know this, they’re not thick…Jack (Ah, Lads) is gone.

Heart of dairyland France.

Ongoing judicial inquest on why water quality is so bad. Proposals put forward to reduce max Nitrates to 25 mg/l to force farmers to ‘do something’. Results were supposed to be out on 22nd Aug, but I’ve heard nothing.

Coming soon to a county near you.

Cows are in the shed or collecting yard 5 to 6 hours a day so they do piss there then I'd say, or maybe they are such divils for the emissions that they like to hold it til they go out.

If he goes back to 3 to the ha on a strict mp like you want he will have 48 cows to support a family. He is not even in derogation, stocked to 165kgs/Ha but needs to zero graze to be viable. The river at the bottom of his farm is regularly monitored by an bord iasca mhara. They say that the biggest indicator of water quality is the presence of weevils and there are loads there. I still fail to see the problem with what he is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭greenfield21

All this talk about reducing supply...and never a mention about demand.Why do I think this will get us first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's up to yourself and others to cut fertiliser use and head off any decline in water quality.

Said yourself Teagasc advice is non sensical. So act yourself.

If people want to have a stocking rate that allows them a living then get busy cutting your fert rates back. There's posters here have posted how they are getting the same grass grown with 7 units/ acre that others have to spread 27 units by conventional Teagasc advice.

The Teagasc advice is leading to a one way outcome. Maybe that's the plan?

My advice to you straight and everyone is take back control of the situation while theres still time and hope.

Because if ye don't there'll be no time and no hope.

Look at your friends carbon foot print and carbon emissions from all the zero grazing and slurry spreading. That's exactly what the government don't want. What about he gets a couple of wet weeks and tanks are filled and he has no choice but to go out with slurry and it runs off into the river. That's not the image Ireland wants to protray for our diary products.

He has 16 weeks storage. No problem with dumping slurry there.

• Advertisement

Yep. I'm keeping things as manageable and as efficient as I can. Let's wait and see what this new land use policy brings us. Designations are the next big land grab.

What do you think of that sobac fertiliser that's out a few years now or that physiolith from grassland agro...

Advertisement