Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Sinn Fein fix the housing crisis or is it beyond them or anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Of course it can be fixed. The tax payer needs to pay alot more tax to build free houses for those who dont want to work or cant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We can lease luxury apartments for 25 years with no option to buy, rent and purchase off the private market or build and own our own.

Same people living in them either way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread is going way off topic. Let's stick to the housing crisis and there is no need to bring FF/FG into it unless it's in direct relation to their policies and responses to the housing crisis

This is not another SF vs Govt mud slinging thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,997 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I did the same in 2001 ,couldn't afford a house in Dublin ,took out a small mortgage ,endured 5 hours a day car commute up and down to Dublin from very rural Laois for 4 years ,actually my cottage so bad I put a mobile home on the site for 3 years. I recall some smart arse on Boards laughing at such a notion of what we did back then, but now I can look out at a beautiful garden from a humble home with a few years left on the mortgage. Tough yes for the first few years but worth it in the end .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

By "we" you mean the state can. No thanks Rich Boy Barrett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭dasa29

I see everybody here calling for more housing but according to the "Summary of Social Housing Assessments 2021" the number on the housing list is 59,247 (Sep 21) (Social Housing Transfer list(including Hap, Ras, etc.) not included in total.)

the difference between 2020 and 2021 housing list is as follows

2020: 61880

2021: 59247

+/-: -2633

Now while that seems good it is not given that only 12 Household Compositions were down out of 13 household compositions with the thirteenth up 347. That thirteenth Household Composition was 1 Adult Household with 32551 or 54.9% of the total looking for social housing in 2021.

During covid when there was the rent and eviction freeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

They will tell you after they figure out what the popular view is, then change it if that view changes

That’s the Sinn Fein way, whatever way the wind blows Sinn Fein goes

Plenty of people doing that with renovation jobs and to be honest I love it, I love seeing old houses brought back to life. Difference is these people don’t bother sitting on the web , they don’t see the point of creating loads of fake accounts on social media to complain about everyone and everything.

A lot of people try to tell you that section of society is now gone and nobody can buy a house anymore, but we know it’s rubbish.

• Advertisement

SF are telling everyone what they want to hear, if you sit and try add it all up it will never work. According to them they are going to tax the rich, while at the same time telling the rich they will never do that

High earners will pay more tax while telling them they will get a tax reduction by removing property tax

Going to hire more doctors while telling the doctors they are going to tax them at a higher rate so they will have less income???

Thats just the start of the problem with SF and their policies. Within 12 if they try to implement we will be sitting with the entire country back in 2008 and Europe bailing us out

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭dasa29

While you could be partly right I went back and looked at the "Summary of Social Housing Assessments 2020" and it has this

2019: 68,693

2020: 61880 (-6813 on 2019 total)

2021: 59247 (-2633 on 2020 total) From "Summary of Social Housing Assessments 2021"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

what you mean is build subsidized houses for those that due to income, can't afford to house themselves in the private rental market or via a bank loan which they would not be approved for.

there are no such thing as free houses in ireland and the amount of people who don't actually want to work are so tiny and they are not wanted by employers under any circumstance anyway, that they are irrelevant to the discussion really.

but they allow you to deflect from a genuine issue no doubt because "ja lefties" or some other bs.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lose the immigrants and the vulture funds then watch as house prices miraculously go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Sinn Fein have played the classic Trump/Johnson card of populism. They have simply promised to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

How will they house another 50,000 refugees?

Where will they get civil engineers and tradesmen? Their supporters on Twitter regularly call engineers scum and bizarrely claim you dont need them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Someone on the average wage in Ireland (never mind the average for a younger person) who saves literally every penny after paying rent and food is likely going to be further away from being able to afford a house after a year then they were at the start due to inflation in prices. The idea it is “attitude” that cause the problem is as offensive as it is hilariously wrong.

one core element of the problem is that there is No way of solving it that doesn’t impact the massive portion of society that are already homeowners. The dreaded “negative equity” will be bandied around as soon as house prices come off, objections to any density in new developments abound. Fixing the housing crisis involves sacrifice from homeowners (Insomuch as the value of your house matters a damn) and it is not forthcoming. SF can fix it but nothing they do at local level suggest they will.

I recall all the numbers across the board 'improved' due to less people being evicted or landlords selling up or raising rents. And the decline returned as we came out of covid.

We, the state, are the reason the investment funds are flocking here. If we barred them the housing builds would almost stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭mikethecop

wouldn't your plan for property investors not being in government disqualify sf as a whole given the amount of property it owns ? 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Blame the immigrants for the housing problem. Classy.

• Advertisement

So be it. Its a conflict of interest during a crisis. All politicians should sell up or give away all property interests before taking office. Their immediate family too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭mikethecop

good luck with that , even the average industrial wage lie didn't last long with the shinners

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Housing99

Posters here dont seem to get that if you are one of the 300,000 young workers forced to live at home due to housing then job growth and the economy mean nothing to you. I was unemployed during covid and it mean no big difference. Im at home working 2 jobs trying to save a deposit, and at that I'll be forced to move county. Id be cheering an economic collapse to collapse house prices.

Its the desperation and the massive intergenerational inequality that has caused these views and FFG wont do anything to stop that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Weened off renting and buying means the state doing all the building.

And whenever that gets tried, the cost per unit goes up due to the inefficiencies of state bodies while everyone creams off the proceeds (which is unlikely to happen due to fiscal policy constraints of being in the euro-zone).

But anyway, SF get a 4-5 year term, by the end, of it, what % of council housing funds are spent on buying rather than leasing/renting? What happens if the demand for housing continues to grow, how do you make the numbers work? What does success look like for SF and what does failure look like?

Personally, if at the end of a SF term I had a letter saying I had an apartment in a cost rental/ public housing development once it is completed in x amount of years Id vote them back in

Id likely vote them back in anyway given how FFG forced me to emigrate to England a decade ago after college and refused to help house me when I got a job in Ireland again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Stop letting the population increase at too fast a rate to keep up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I cannot fathom why it is so difficult and time consuming to buy and sell property.

Pop on over to the property forums and its endless issues with conveyancing, paperwork problems, bank problems, EA problem etc etc.

If the process was streamlined we'd at least get more mobility and movement in the property market.

because, the reality is FFG dont want house prices to fall

They'll sort it,they have invested a lot of political capital in it,so this are bound to it,fcuk sake state on its knees in the 50s and we could do it....none of this economic progress was worth it since,if we can't house/educate our people anymore

Personally speaking,I'd sooner see emergence of large scale social housing estates....than see another generation being raised in hotel rooms,it's a scandal that it's been let drag on so long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It's SF that are objecting to the exact type of housing that you are seeking.

The vote against the Oscar Traynor Road development is proof of that.

Advertisement