Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

All a HUGE burden and drain on our already very scarce resources.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

road_high threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

That's the thing, the cheerleaders are thinking the Ukrianinans will just work a job for the sake of it because they are great hardworking people ect. The reality is Irish people here on good wages can hardly make ends meat because they have to pay babysitters, fuel, bills ect to survive. No immigrant is going to give up the freebies and suffer like many tax payers here in Ireland who don't qualify for supports.

Most Ukrianinan posts you read on Facebook are all about getting stuff for free. Help me I want to work in Dublin ect and want you to give me a free room.

Get a grip if you think they are going to work just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

There is one ukraine refugee in my job, she's very nice looking and said to one of the lad she's looking for an older man when one of the guys asked her out. I'm thinking she's looking for a rich man who will look after her and give her a better life, her brother is in a bad way this week due to the war, got shot or blown up AFAIK.

Sky news mentioning western intelligence stating war is pretty much at a stale mate with 8 to 10 weeks left for either side to make inroads before the weather makes it more difficult. They state a lack of manpower on both sides as the main reason for the stale mate in terms of reclaiming/gaining territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

These post's are typical of the pages on FB, 9 adults and 2 children. Living in Latvia and now want to add to the crisis here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cunw

Covid was mass hysteria as confirmed by the CDC's quiet rolling back of all and any restrictions, masks, vaccination differentiation, test, trace and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Actually, if you/your family are on a low income, then yes, you do get a medical card and free college place. Students also get discounted travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

My Grandad would love a younger lady. Have ya details

PM me

If the marks on the map from central and western Ukraine are only from the very start of the war, then the map is inaccurate, because I listed attacks here on "safe" areas that were occurring up to the last week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Irish people are means tested. Ukrainians are not.

It's not in 1 in 10, it's 1 in 4, per the CSO's statistics. I know it doesn't fit your biases, but they're the facts.

1 in 4 Ukrainians who can work, are working, per the CSO's statistics. I know it doesn't fit your biases, but they're the facts.

Where do you get 1 in 4 from?

Total in Augiust: 47,962 Ukrainians. 36,917 welfare claims Adults/children. 6,546 employed. So, 1k left welfare last month and became employed.

Which is interesting because:

• As of 10 July 2022, of the arrivals that attended employment support events arranged by Intreo Public Employment Services, 66% were noted with English language proficiency being a challenge in securing employment.

So, it questionable how many more would become employed to the extent of living without welfare supports. In fact, I don't see anything on the CSO stats to show that any grouping has stopped receiving the provided supports promised by the government. Do you?

Lose the biases remarks... as you could be accused of showing biases yourself. Prove your claim that 1 in 4 is a fact. Cause from I can see it's 1 in 6.. no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No interest in going back and forth over that. The main point as mentioned, that seems to be alluding you, is the majority is untouched.

In the same sense that the majority stayed there, or the majority of those that left, returned.

I already did, when previously challenged on this.

But in short, you measure employment and unemployment figures based on people available to work. The live register is not everyone without a job, it's everyone without a job, not on disability benefit, between the ages of 18 and 66.

Of the numbers recorded as arriving into Ireland, 37% are children. They're not eligible to work. Unless like, say, road_high, you want 5-y-os serving you in McDonalds or are sending 7-y-os up chimneys, they don't get counted when you're calculating the percentage working.

Again, go look at the CSO figures. The majority of people are in low paid employment. The point is, they're being tarred here as lazy scroungers, and no, they're not. Doubtless there's the odd exception, but you get that in every demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There was a Daft rep on Newstalk's The Home Show earlier. He was talking about the housing crisis etc., and that he has taken in a Ukrainian and two kids. He said it was to be for a a few months, but realistically it'll be for "two to three years"

Again, go look at the CSO figures. The majority of people are in low paid employment. The point is, they're being tarred here as lazy scroungers, and no, they're not. Doubtless there's the odd exception, but you get that in every demographic.

I wouldn't see them as lazy scroungers. As you say the majority are in low-paid employment, which means that they're likely still receiving supplementary welfare, similar to the JS that is given to part-time workers. We've no idea how many have left provided accommodation, and are renting on their own steam.

They're simply ill-equipped to settle in a English speaking first world nation. The lack of English ability is important, as is the corruption within Ukrainian education systems. Their qualifications acquired shouldn't be considered on par with those in the EU, because they're not faced with the same standards.

I get your point with 1 in 4 being employed, although it's not a fact. It's an estimate.

They're simply ill-equipped to settle in a English speaking first world nation. The lack of English ability is important, as is the corruption within Ukrainian education systems.

"ill-equipped to settle in a English speaking first world nation" - That's a quite bizarre statement! Are they really? 66% at Intreo events had "challenges" with English, meaning 33% didn't. Fáilte Isteach, ETBs and others are all running English language classes. I've friends who were using teams of remote Ukrainian subcontractors for IT projects, pre-invasion - English not a problem.

I get your point with 1 in 4 being employed, although it's not a fact. It's an estimate.

Thank you - that's a lot more reasonable than some of the other posters here. It's an estimate, sure, because the CSO don't actually give a figure themselves for the percentage in employment. It is an accurate - if conservative - estimate, though, given they tell us the a) exact number of refugees from Ukraine, b) the percentage who are under 18, and c) the exact number in employment. I call it a conservative estimate because we don't know the number of those who arrived who are over 65, or who would otherwise be unavailable for work (disability, fulltime carer, etc.)

The point that's eluding you is that per your own graphic, the majority of Ukraine's 27 regions have been directly targeted, either with troops, airstrikes, rockets or missiles.

• Advertisement

Regarding the English classes, I’ve been volunteering locally since the Ukrainians first came. They were offered English classes then and while loads of them signed up, very few attended. Now, the situation is very different and filling in application forms is taking up most of my time. I think that in the early days, they were reluctant to learn the language as they were hoping to be going home before too long. Now that their children are enrolled in schools, they see the need to learn English.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119497150#Comment_119497150 There was an error displaying this embed.

You mean they are here for good now. Who would have expected that to happen

P.S Kids from Ukraine were at school here from March

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

I wouldn’t say that they’re here for good. They need to be able to help their children with their homework.

Yes, I know kids have been in school from the beginning. It’s amazing how quickly they have learned spoken English. Reading and writing it is proving more difficult.

"ill-equipped to settle in a English speaking first world nation" - That's a quite bizarre statement! Are they really? 66% at Intreo events had "challenges" with English, meaning 33% didn't. Fáilte Isteach, ETBs and others are all running English language classes. I've friends who were using teams of remote Ukrainian subcontractors for IT projects, pre-invasion - English not a problem.

You can't acquire decent English quickly. I've taught it as part of TEFL/ESL, and it's hard to get students to the level where they are comfortable with the nuances that crop up in general employment (never mind professional level employment), especially when that employment success rests on communication itself. It's fine with menial labour jobs but there's a limited number of them available, considering that the Irish economy is quite advanced in most respects. Added to which the costs of living independently, tend to require people to be earning well, and for Irish people who aren't, usually they can draw upon familial supports which aren't available to Ukrainians.

English is definitely a problem. Oh, I grant you that people can be forgiving, patient and sympathetic to Ukrainians due to their situation, but that's going to dry up over time, especially when Ukrainians have been in Ireland for extended periods..

However, the most important aspect is that we're facing a recession. It's coming, and it will affect employment in a big way, driving up the requirements for that employment due to increased competition, with many industries struggling. That's going to happen.. and having substandard English will impact greatly on those competing with others (native or foreign) who have decent English already.

Thank you - that's a lot more reasonable than some of the other posters here. It's an estimate, sure, because the CSO don't actually give a figure themselves for the percentage in employment. It is an accurate - if conservative - estimate, though, given they tell us the a) exact number of refugees from Ukraine, b) the percentage who are under 18, and c) the exact number in employment. I call it a conservative estimate because we don't know the number of those who arrived who are over 65, or who would otherwise be unavailable for work (disability, fulltime carer, etc.)

Top of the CSO page. Have a look at the notice about the methodologies used, and the problems they face regarding accurate statistics. It's an estimate that could easily be quite different from what they've published, which is why I'm against people throwing these reports around as facts.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119497150#Comment_119497150 There was an error displaying this embed.

Ditto on the volunteering, but I think you're exaggerating their progress. Attendance is hit and miss because there's no requirement on them to be there. Same issues with homework/study outside of classes. Actual progress for those with decent foundational learning (in Ukraine) is reasonable, but the majority approached English as a topic they would never use, and so, their ability is very low. Applications are high but they're not consistent in their learning desires, easily discouraged by their lack of progress.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

None of it eluded me. In the post with the graphic, I specifically mentioned those orange strike areas, and pointed out that the area surrounding those is included in the majority. You can try and word it any way you want to, and try to pretend that you originally meant the majority of their regions (even though you admitted a few posts ago that you didn't know about so many of them being touched), but we both know that the majority of Ukraine as a whole has been untouched.

That's like saying the majority of County Dublin is safe because only Balbriggan, Swords and Tallaght got bombed. It's true only in a completely pedantic but entirely meaningless sense. Your definition of 'affected by the war' would appear to be "a) under active Russian occupation, or b) blown to bits."

And your slant on what was stated isn't questionable? Whereas your interpretation is that if there was a single rocket attack in an area, then the whole province is under threat, even when further attacks have been few . (considering that Ukraine is a rather large country)

Do you even remember what I said originally? Which was in relation to a question you posed: "But why the need to put "war" and "refugees" in scare quotes? It's a real war. They are real refugees"

"Probably because after 6 months of the war, the majority of Ukraine is completely untouched by the war. So the feeling by many is that these refugees could have remained in western Ukraine."

The point was that there was a rather large chunk of Ukraine untouched by the war where refugees could have ended up rather than going abroad. And while a few rocket attacks or such have landed in various provinces, that's not the same as concentrated bombardment, or assault vehicles in the streets etc leading to the idea of war being on their doorstep, with them being exposed to it daily. The majority of Ukraine still hasn't been touched by the war..

[And no, the comparison with Co. Dublin isn't really remotely accurate considering how much larger Ukraine is than Ireland... and the distances involved)

No.

What you are saying is all of Dublin got attacked, if only Dundrum or possibly Skerries were hit. Likewise a field in Carlow, a townhouse in Mayo, a cowshed in Tipperary, seems to mean that all of those counties were destroyed.

Also worth noting, I never once mentioned "affected by the war", because that would include all of the EU and further. I said the majority is untouched by attacks. You were the one that kept stressing that the majority was attacked and correcting people, and you are wrong. The majority is untouched.

Funny you mentioning pedants too, when you know full well you are wrong, but choosing to try and twist it to suit your narrative.

You don't need to ask me. Ask the 41 million that stayed behind, and the 3.5+ million that returned and others that are returning. You can also probably look up a damage report by region if you like and maybe that will finally convince you that the majority of Ukraine is untouched.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CeCe12 threadban lifted following discussion with user

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement