Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

An ideal morning out there for it folks.

best of luck too you all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Well done to everyone today. Some great performances that bode well going forward.

my day wasn't one of those great performances but not the end of the world, I’ll see again in the half and reassess the plans then for the full of that doesn’t go well either.

Wasn’t ideal prep with travelling this week and woke up with my tummy not feeling the best. Found it tonight to eat breakfast. The whole way into the park thought it was some sort of serious race day nerves but felt much worse. Took on a gel before the start as I have done in every other race and found if awful hard to digest. First few km were fine but then had to stop to be sick twice and walked the water stations to try to see if I could right it. All in all 3 minutes off the planned pace but taking it with a pinch of salt as I think there was outside influences in that and 3 minutes with being unwell is pretty good in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Finished the FD 10 mile in 1 hour 30 mins, pretty much spot on what my goal was.

Started off really strong and 10k hit 55 mins so was on for a 1 27 finish. Then KM 11 and 12 got an awful stitch so had to slow down slightly. Picked the pace back up for the last 4km and was able to finish strong enough.

Little disappointed because I know I could have run faster but overall a significant improvement on the fingal 10km and felt comfortable throughout.

Looking forward to the HM in 4 weeks. Congratulations to everyone who ran today and hope you had a good run 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Really enjoyed that run today, preparation was better than for the fingal 10k but didn't expect to run it as fast as I did (1:14:42). Overall delighted with the result.

Had 1:18 as a tough but achievable goal, and 1:16 as a real stretch target.

Given the downhill at the start I thought I needed to bank a few seconds ahead of average planned pace so went out quite fast (first 5k @ 4:32per km).

Just took it km by km then and expected the legs to give up but managed to get all the way though without any major drama. Ended up taking about a minute off my 10k PB over the first part of the race. Finished strong aswell with last 3km at about 4:29average.

Took two gels (at 8km and 12km), not sure if they would make much difference in a relatively short distance but maybe even just gave me some confidence that I had that energy in the tank.

Overall delighted and today has really reinforced how beneficial trusting the slow runs in training. Onwards and upwards to the HM now in a month.

As an aside - was it measured slightly wrong, everyone seems to have about 16.2km on the watches? Maybe it's just natural from not running perfect racing lines..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Well done to all who ran today. I've seen some great times over on Strava.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Dublin334

Had a good run today in FD 10 mile. Finished in 1hr 21m 39secs.

I hadn't run in the Phoenix Park before so it was an enjoyable occasion. I was targetting 80-85mins so happy enough with the time. Started off the first 4 miles under the 80 mins pace and feeling good. I was worried about when we hit uphill sections and it did slow me down by about 30 secs compared with first 4 miles. After that I settled into a 8min 15 secs per mile and took an energy gel at about 6 miles.

Only stopped at 1 water station as I found drinking from the cups messy and a bit disruptive. 2nd half of the race was slower than the first half but overall I was happy that I had kept my pace reasonably consistent throughout (allowing for the hills). Definitely learnt a few lessons from the Fingal 10K.

Any advice on what to target for marathon pace based on above time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Some great results out there today.. Well done all- suffering from a bit of FOMO now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What was your result? No need to be coy, this is a supportive environment! 😉

We can only advise if we know what you are doing. I see you're on the strava group but your settings are private - maybe you didn't realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Happy myself with how the FD 10 mile went. I was quite unsure going into the race for a couple of reasons, first it was the first time I've raced in the PP or at 10 miles and I was worried about the hills, or more specifically I was worried about the essentially down hill start and burning myself up too early in the race. Second was that I really wasn't sure what pace to go out out considering it was a tougher course than my recent races (5K and HM) which were flatter. I had looked at a few race time predictors and they gave a wide spread of times, so going in I was a bit confused! I think I also freaked out my wife a little as she said that I must have mentioned the hills about 10 times to her during the week!

Cycled over and got good parking and we headed to our respective pacer areas. She went one behind where she thought she should (and also finished very strong so lesson learned) and after some dithering I eventually settled myself in front of the 120 pacers. I do kind of like this position as I keeps me reined in for the first kilometre or 2 and then generally means I am doing the catching rather than being caught so is psychologically positive as the race goes on.

Conservative first half and once back onto chesterfield ave I was able to start reeling in people and getting into a nice steady rhythm. I was doing all kinds of maths in my head here and did find that I was running very steady (at mid to low 4.20's) and the breathing was not laboured at any stage which is a good sign. I just thought to myself to keep it under HM pace from back in March. Unfortunately I'd remembered it incorrectly and though my last half was at 4.34 pace not 4.29 pace so I was only a smidge under. Nice wind up towards the end without an all out effort to get across the line. Chip time 1:11:27

Just as I was crossing the line there was a call out for @Murph_D and spotted him in the finish area and said hello to himself and @Laineyfrecks, nice to meet you both and then headed back down to meet my wife who was delighted with her time. We had actually crossed paths as she was entering the 15 acres and I was leaving and we high 5'd which was a nice pick me up for both of us.

Overall happy with it, I think looking back that I was probably too conservative overall and could have pushed harder, although I stuck to the plan of easier until the hills were done and then start to motor a bit. I overthought the hills and when I did a bit of a check on my own strava profile I see that relative to my mileage my climbing is relatively high so I probably have the strength in the legs to deal with that!

Legs were good today and the day was lovely so went for a medium long run. No trouble in the legs from yesterday, only slight issue is that I forgot to cut my toe nails before the race and wore a pair on ankle socks that are a little thick in the toe area, combined with new trainers created an additional 2 more black toenails creating a triumvirate that I can freak the kids out with :-)

Next up now is the HM and looking forward to that more as I have an idea now of the course and would be confident that I could take time off my last outing (1:34:xx). I just don't know whether it would be worth actually going for an ambitious time, dangerous if it doesn't come off but could be a real boost if it did. Hopefully the next few weeks training will go well and then I'll see......

Well done everyone else who raced, some really great results in there, race practice will really pay off, I've nailed my shorts and singlet now, couple of chews for a boost were fine as always. (Sorry for the rambling post!!)

Post edited by MisterJinx on

Hi All, I'm reporting back on my 10 mile race today. I couldn't make the FD yesterday so I headed for the Wild Atlantic 10 Miler in Ballina earlier today. Really well organised race, conditions were perfect and a lovely route too. I wasn't sure what pace to aim for but decided on around 5m/km. I did my fastest ever 10km at Christmas and that was the pace I was just about able to hold on to at that time. I didn't really look at my watch today to see my pace for the first couple of km's. When I did check I was doing around 4.47. I was thinking I had gone out too fast but decided I'd try and hold on at that pace. It was tough going but I did manage to hold on and I was delighted with the result. I ended up getting a 10km PB on the way and also a 10mile PB. Chip time 1:17. I do know my pace would have definitely dropped off if I had to run any bit further.

For me, its a definite sign the training is paying off. Thanks Coaches :) @Laineyfrecks @Murph_D @Lambay island

I also got a surprise with my heart rate. I always thought my max heart rate was 182 and never seen it above this before. Today I hit 193 and I was in the 180's for a lot of the race. I was pushing really hard. I'm not exactly sure what the heart rate means. Was I pushing too hard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Another week completed. Found this week tough going and hard to get motivated. However managed to get all runs in.

Tuesday 5k @5.42 pace

Wednesday 10k @ 5.48 pace

Thursday 5k@ 5.52pace

Sunday 21k @ 5.53pace

Found today's run tough going. Need to start using gels from here on out. Anyone have any tips?

I suggest read back over some of last week's discussion about gels, no point in repeating it all again. I think you are struggling because you are running way too fast for most of your runs. Faster than marathon pace. In fact some of these runs are close to your 5k pace. Seriously, you will feel stronger if you run slower and allow your body to make the adaptions you need to run 26.2 miles.

Very nicely done. Great approach and it seems to be paying off. Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

WEEK 9 😊

Well done for getting this far, hopefully everyone is feeling good about their training!

It is great to see all the race reports coming in - race weeks really get the excitement going and help motivate us for the next tranche of training. Some great performances yesterday in the Phoenix Park, Us mentors feel like proud/nervous parents on race day😜 

Congratulations again to everyone. If things didn't go as you anticipated, just try be honest with yourself - maybe it was just a bad day at the office, or maybe training hasn't been what it should? Even if the race went well for you, have a think about what you could improve on for next time - these build-up races are great learning opportunities.

Week 10 looks like this:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|14m lsr|rest

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u, 6m pace, 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|2m rec

It's the highest mileage week yet for both plans, and the long runs enter uncharted territory too.

If you were racing at the weekend be watchful, particularly early in the week. Your legs will be tired so listen to your body and don't be afraid to skip or cut short an easy run if required. Just be honest with yourself.

How was week nine for you?

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Again well done to all who raced & those who completed their plans. Very best of luck this week😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Well done to all those who raced, some fantastic times

I found this week pretty tough, mainly due to having to travel for work and an early start and having a couple of social gatherings, I felt pretty tired all week. Only managed 4 runs but on the bright side felt by far the most comfortable I've been on an LSR

Monday 5k @7:07 pace

Tuesday 5k @ 5.49 pace

Thursday 7k@ 5.33pace

Sunday 24k @ 5.51pace

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

Well done to all who competed in the 10K. Seems to be mostly positive experiences.

My own week went as follows :

Monday - Rest

Tuesday 10KM @ 5.0 pace

Weds 12.5km@ 6.12 pace

Thursday Rest

Friday 28km @5.56 pace

Sat Rest

Sunday 10km @6.06 Pace.

A bit of an unstructured week with work & then going camping with kids at the weekend meant bringing the Long run forward to Friday morning. Sleeping on the floor of a tent wasn't ideal after the long run & certainly missed my bed. I wasn't following any plan this week - was just trying to fit some runs in. Was happy with the Long run.

Good stuff, "I do know my pace would have definitely dropped off if I had to run any bit further" I was looking at your splits - looked like you paced it perfectly and emptied the tank. In terms of the HR everyone is different here, you were possibly hitting your max or close to it and its a case of how long can it be sustained for. If you are schdeuled to do the half you should be hitting those higher numbers later in the race anyway as long as you don't go out too fast.- Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Week 8 done!

Monday 5km easy pace 6:17 / km

Tuesday 6.5km easy w/ strides x5 

Wednesday 8km easy pace 6:12 / km

Friday 3.2km easy pace 6:01 / km

Saturday FD 10 Mile time 82:06

This was a tough week for me, well one day in particular. Monday and Tuesday runs felt ok. Wednesday's run was down as 8km easy but with the FD coming I thought maybe I'd add a few strides just to get more feel for upping the pace. When I started the run I felt really stiff and achey. This sometimes happens and after warming up it's fine. But not this time. It just got worse as the run went on. If the pain had been in one area I would probably have stopped the run but it was everywhere. I tried a couple of times to speed up a bit but couldn't. My lower back hurt, both knees and hips. Honestly during the run I thought this might be it. Ironically it was one of the best paced easy runs I've done - every km was around 6:10/km. After the run I took 2 panadol and felt ok really. But I was dreading my next run and fairly concerned about the rest of the plan and obviously having the FD 10 mile at the weekend. I didn't run Thursday. On friday I played golf in the morning and even broke into a slight jog a few times just to see how it felt. In the afternoon, I did 2 miles easy per the plan and it felt ok - nothing like wednesday thankfully. I wasn't sure how approach the FD 10 mile. I thought about just doing it easy or maybe even just taking the weekend off.

Well I went on saturday in the end and am so glad I did. I parked in Cabra - around 40min walk to the start. I walked a bit and jogged a bit. It felt ok but not great. Before these races I normally feel a bit springy and am raring to go but there was definitely no spring. I was probably as nervous as I've been for any run and still didn't have a definite plan for it. In the end the race went as well as I could have hoped. I haven't done a huge amount of these but that was best I've done over any distance. I don't know how after what happened on wednesday. After settling in to the run and feeling good, I thought 5:10 would be a great average for the distance. Around the 6km mark and(I think) after the worst of the hills, my average pace was 5:06 so I thought maybe I could do a little better. My average pace slowed a little over the next few km's but was still under 5:10 and I felt really comfortable. I had looked at the course map before and thought there was steepish hill near the finish. But when I got to Castleknock gate and the was only 2km left I realised I must have got that wrong about the hill. So I was able to give it a bit more gas for the last 2 km. It felt great. My NRC app had my average pace for the run at 5:06/km. The second half of the run was a few seconds quicker than the first too. The chip time was 82:06 - PB! 

In 2019 I did the Irish Runner series and DCM HM in the PP and what a place it is to run in. I'm never not amazed by what a beautiful place it is and keep saying I must take the kids back to explore it a bit more - especially the Liffey side of Chesterfield and not just the zoo! :) I've really enjoyed all the series events this year - honestly couldn't fault them for any thing. I signed up for the this in early 2020 and just think it's fantastic value for the amount of organising that must go into it and you get a decent goody bag and t-shirt AND banana! 

Anyway, apologies for the long and winding post. I still don't know what to make of wednesday's run. I'm kind of hoping that someone might chime in and say that's perfectly normal or something(???).

It was great to see the other times and activity on the Strava group too. Well done to every one getting out there and not just the PP. And big thanks again to the mentors for the ongoing feedback and support!    

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Plan was go under 1:19 and finished 1:22:18.Not the end of the world but not where I hoped/should be

Well done on the race especially with the pre race added nerves after Wed run.

Hard to know for definite regarding what was up on Wednesday but there is a strong chance its simply just a bit of training/cumulative fatigue. That would be normal around this stage of marathon training anyway. I felt a bit more laboured towards the end of last week too. The fact that as you say there was no particular area that was sorer would make me lean towards that. Ensure you are getting plenty of water on board throughout the week. If you feel like that again, there is no real downside to cutting the run short and giving your body the chance to recover. If it becomes more of a regular thing, I would suggest you seek physio/medical advice.

• Advertisement

Not a bad result at all in the conditions, and a good set of numbers now to use for for training paces over the next few weeks. And of course you can recalibrate again after the half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Week 10 complete

After a two day wedding at the weekend I wasn't looking forward to this week but it turned out better than hoped. I knew I was going to be in Galway on Friday & Saturday so I had to move the Long Run forward to Friday morning.

Monday - 8.5m steady @ 8.28min/mile

Tuesday - Easy 4 mile with strides

Wednesday - Steady 10m @ PMP 8.26 min/miles

Thursday - Rest

Friday - 20 mile LSR with 10 @ PMP.

Saturday - 3mile recovery

Deliberately picked a LSR route with hills to keep me slower, but haven't felt as strong in a run in a long time. First ten were averaging around 9.10 min/miles and then the last ten were around 8.30min miles. I wore my running pack to put two soft pouches of water in them to take with a couple of gels I had with me and just to sip on every mile as I wouldn't drink much water when running.

Was out the door at 5.45am after a small bowl of porridge. The pack was pressing on my stomach and also on my heart rate strap so the first nine miles were not pleasant and had to stop for a comfort break!!! After that I took a gel at mile 10, didn't realise it was a caffeine berry one and it felt a bit weird but actually pleasant enough, took a second (tropical) one at mile 15 and I'll not be taking that again. Way too gloopy and thick with bits in it.

Legs and body held up brilliantly and the steady runs during the week at PMP have boosted my confidence but still undecided what to do about hydration when doing the marathon. When I'm running in the hills with the pack on it doesn't feel as uncomfortable as when trying to run fast on the flat and the stomach problem didn't help at all. I might buy a gel belt because I think I'll probably end up taking at least three gels with me and don't want to be carrying them in pockets.

This week is more of the same and definitely off the drink now until race day after a very heavy two days in Galway. Have a 10 mile race on Saturday and the option of a HM on my doorstep on the Sunday, I might just go and watch the elites run it or jog a few easy miles of it.

Well done all on the FD times, good running.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Hey everyone the video route for the marathon has been published on You Tube, pretty sure its the same route as the 2019 but good to see a video with it.

Irish Life Dublin Marathon - 2022 Course - YouTube

Really good to see you had a good race, this can only fill you with confidence going forward, once you stick to the plan Dublin should feel good too.

I would be advising anyone who ran 80 to 85 mins in the 10 mile race to stick with the sub 4 target until at least the HM. 5:40km - PMP , 6:08 - 6:18km Easy.

Well done again, best of luck with this weeks training!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

Week9/10

Was on holidays last week so didn't get to put in my week

Mon 5,2 km 33:33 6:27/km

Tue 11,3 km 1:06:46 5:55/km

Thu 7,4 km 46:17 6:16/km

Sat 23,5 km 2:36:57 6:41/km -- Early start to fit this in.

Mon 5,4 km 35:12 6:30/km

Thu 11,3 km 1:14:52 6:37/km -- Hard run couldn't find a rhythm probably due to the travelling the day before

Sat 25,0 km 2:44:19 6:34/km -- Felt good for the first 15 k or so might have gone out a little quicker than I should.

Sun 5,2 km 33:35 6:28/km

Only managed to get 4 runs done the last 2 weeks but made sure to get the long runs in. I'm sure water slides and roller coasters counts as cross training.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

First full week back after 5 weeks off with Covid and then long Covid. After 11 days of testing positive, I took a few days grace before getting back slowly to running. A few days into training again I was hit with fatigue which lasted much longer than I would have hoped – shortish walks ending in the sudden need for a midday nap ☹. Covid hit the Sunday before my first half-marathon race so unfortunately no benchmark set & will have to wait until Dublin HM.

Anyway, back into swing of things thankfully and glad to be hitting the road again and trying to stick to @Laineyfrecks plan.

Seeing updates above for week 8, 9, 10 - so not sure which is which, but this is from Aug 15th - 21st.

Week 8 Recap: (PMP: 8:01 min/mile, Target LSR Pace: 8:50-9:00 min/mile)

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes* (see note on LSR)

Monday: Planned (3m) Actual (3.35m @ 8:27/mile)

Tuesday: Planned (4m) Actual (4m @ 8:29/mile)

Wednesday: Planned (7m) Actual (7.1m @ 8:17/mile)

Thursday: Planned (3m) Actual (3m @ 8:48/mile)

Friday: Planned (Cross) Actual (Pilates)

Saturday: Planned (15m LSR) Actual (14.5m @ 8:45/mile) Timed LSR to end with park run which actually turned out to not be a great idea as I was caught up in the crowd and pace was far too high for this stage of my training (lesson learned).

Sunday: Planned (2m) Actual (2m @ 8:42/mile)

All in – happy with the weeks training, hitting all the distances for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

17th of September is looking like a busy one for me so will more than likely have to skip the DHM.

Thinking of running the Ratoath Half the week before. Anyone ever done it before?

Good stuff, glad to hear you are nack training & feeling a lot better. Make sure to still listen to your body , Dublin will be a good benchmark for you.

• Advertisement

I haven't done it previously myself but I am also down for it this year. I have heard mainly positives about it😊

Advertisement