Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Not the most common suggestion I see though......

Not exactly the most environmentally responsible solutions either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You must live near me, when the tanks filled up with rain water on a neighbour here the oil floated on top of the slurry/water, then there was burnt oil in every low spot of the yard.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A few years ago oh painted the floor of his lowloader with waste oil, it rained a day or 2 later and it was like a skating rink. Never repeated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Odelay

Jesus fuckin Christ! Some people couldn’t give a **** about anyone else.

there are companies that recycle used oil and it’s not very expensive anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The local civic amenity site here is starting to charge to bring used oil. A lot more will be burning and pouring it if that trend catches on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Odelay

Why shouldn’t they charge? I pay form my domestic waste to be collected. Skips too. Why would any sane person pour oil down slats when there is a simple clean way do dispose of it?

They have always charged for it in Navan.

But there have been farm waste collection days where oil and other chemicals could be brought for free, we got rid of most of ours that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Because it's actually valuable stuff you are bringing them that can be recycled into new oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cunw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭kerryjack

A lad I used to work for 2 vice grips on the battery poles of a digger and he take battery out and put it charging about a coupple of times a week, machine not charging. Jesus they were mane the mother used to handle the wages a wicked ould hag and you get your pay packet and you get a cheque some cash and even coins, anything to try and confuse a lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭DBK1

A local fella here at the same job with the vice grips on the battery but it’s only to save him time. He has one battery shared between a loader and tractor and swaps the battery every time to whichever machine he needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That takes me right back. I used to deliver coal and fertiliser into a yard in Mullingar and the lad was moving battery between forklift and truck the same, of course forklift had no breaks either. Jez that was early 90’s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

Used to be at the same craic, n jump leads on revving yokes for a few minutes etc. Lost the plot one day n went off n got a couple of batteries n a dynamo - if I valued my time at a fiver an hour I was repaid after a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The cheque would be in the post but I have lost my cheque book.

Absolutely, in the grand scheme of things, batteries, alternators and even starters for most of those older machines are not that expensive and well worth the time and effort to save fluting around daily swapping batteries or messing with jump leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭50HX

Lad not too far from me used the net off the bales to string between 2 sticks to create a fence in a gap.........tragic attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

Neighbour guy here reversed the fertiliser spreader out into the lake and turned it on. Instead of cleaning it he mangled it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭kk.man

None of them lads would be any better off for all their idot ideas. Abit of depression going on too.

Same guy reversed the cattle trailer out into the same lake with the back open, mangled the back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,449 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I had the same thought on a lot of posts re the second sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Sorry to drag up a zombie thread, but my own antics over Christmas made me think of it:

Training ewe lambs (to eat ration) across Christmas....

Trailer on the jeep Christmas day drawing around square bales to cattle...

Rolling ring feeders a hundred yards through coarse ground to get them to said trailer to move them Stephen's day...

I'm definitely a rooter then...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Threw up a clipex fence here one weekend the auld fella was away along by the lane she was grand and fairly christian looking at the time for what resources and time i had at the time. The second strand is undone wrapped around the top and causing it to earth, a reminder everytime i walk down the lane its not my time yet and wont be for a long time yet. Asked where the welder was a while back as i was to do a job for him (fitter by trade) he told me the it was at the polar opposite of where it was and at that it was hidden in behind a few bales even. God this Christmas despite lockdowns lifted and everything else im trying to round up the troops for a tour next winter, tis not worth the hardship hanging around.

Better living everyone

Undid/cut/broke it, has it wrapped around some of the posts for a good earth and then back up over the top strand.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

@carrollsno1 If you have a volt meter - it would help explain to your Dad what you are trying to achieve.

No talking to him he passes it everyday and its the first thing people see coming into the place so it shows how much of a f#ck is given about the place. I wouldnt be one for minding what anyone else thinks of the place or anything like that but id try have some pride in the place and have things kept right just for the sake of less hardship if nothing else.

Better living everyone

I live next to a rooter and I always know when he's moving cattle as the shouting starts about 10 mins beforehand. Also lots of roaring when the cattle escape through one of the gates he forgot to close.

• Advertisement

Hard to tell really the fella before him held onto everything till the last breath and spent **** all on the place over the years. Two right lads to talk about getting hardship etc over the years but they just put the hardship on themselves and wouldnt mind what they had. There was a nice little ford tractor here twenty years ago which got absolutely dogged and abused over the years whereas if it had to be minded and given some bit of an easy life theres no reason it wouldnt still be the main workhorse here today. Instead pushing 80 years of age he heads out and buys a poor enough brand of tractor brand new only to absolutely dog that too, you couldnt make it up. No door on the tractor as once was enough to replace it instead of just learning to close the door on it, not one light on the dash is working and the handbrake id say was gone after 6 months on it, the front rims had to be replaced after 1500hrs due to the dogging it got and that would have been 1500hrs over ten years its an absolute henhouse and the cab is usedfor storage too. Five years ago the floor of the cattle trailer needed replacing he asked a local fabricator at the time would he do it he couldnt do it at that time and instead of arranging a date to do it he threw a few sheets of marine ply down on the floor instead. I can see the place becoming one of those places where theres a handful of cattle running around and hay cut and thrown in the ditch because you couldnt sell it to anyone for fear youd have a bad winter yourself. Theres already one or two fields going that way nearly as is just cut once a year in september and thats it never mind the fact hes renting land when he cant even manage what he owns.

Better living everyone

Advertisement