Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m aware of your claim that in MY world (I suppose as distinct from yours, even though I’m certain we’re operating within the same shared space), that sex and gender are used interchangeably, and that in your opinion sex is the more common term which will continue to be used… in spite of all evidence to the contrary.

It’s considered incorrect by some people who distinguish between the two terms on the basis that sex relates to biology and gender relates to sociology, but it’s already been inadvertently demonstrated by John Money back in the ‘50s, when he set out to prove that there was a biological basis for gender which could be manipulated, his experiments contradicted his hypothesis, in much the same way as conversion therapy to address sexual orientation is a load of pseudoscientific garbage. It turned out of course that while there is a biological basis for gender, it’s not possible to manipulate it as though it ever required correction in the first place to conform to an acceptable social standard.

I’m not interested in any gotchas or any of the rest of it, and as many articles as you’ll find which provide evidence that some people distinguish between sex and gender, the reason for it is that they are speaking within a medical, scientific or legal context, as opposed to the fact that while they identify people using the terms interchangeably as being incorrect, the fact remains that still most people do. It’s why that whole “adult human female” stuff hasn’t really gotten legs either, because people associate it far more with the kind of language used by incels to refer to women. In short, people see it for what it is - dehumanising rhetoric.

Pointing out that I support my argument with links to the sources isn’t the gotcha moment you imagine it to be either if I’m being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

Your gone and the way things will go from here regarding sports will disappoint you greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

We’re members of the general public who have every right to discuss whether or not the policies in question are even necessary in the first place, let alone whether or not they are of any benefit to women, or not.

Of course. Nobody is questioning your right to discuss the issue.

There’s plenty of evidence to support the argument that they aren’t, and very little to support the argument that they are, let alone whether or not they serve any practical purpose in detecting cheating, let alone prohibiting anyone who is intent on cheating from doing so. The fact they have failed to detect anyone cheating, and have only served to humiliate women who were previously unaware of their sex as determined by the testing standards,

Those were the two specific points I addressed. Suspected cheaters retired before they were required to be tested. So, it's not really correct to say testing didn't detect cheaters. Second, as I said, recent surveys acknowledge that elite women athletes are far from "humiliated" by present day tests. They support them. As I said drug testing is way more invasive - requiring you to pee into a container in front of a tester.

and the impact the results of the testing has had on their lives, provides ample evidence of their negative impact on the participation of women in sports.

The decision in Bostock v Clayton county effectively rolled discrimination based upon sex, gender and sexual orientation all into one, under the idea that each form of discrimination constitutes discrimination based upon sex. The law applies regardless of the person’s sex, gender or sexual orientation -

“When the express terms of a statute give us one answer and extratextual considerations suggest another, it’s no contest,” Justice Gorsuch wrote in the opening paragraphs of his opinion. “Only the written word is the law, and all persons are entitled to its benefit.”

There’s no attempt to replace women’s “sex based rights” or anything else, because the same laws which prohibit unlawful discrimination against women, prohibit unlawful discrimination against all women, regardless of their sex.

Afaik a federal judge has already put a stay on Biden's order. We'll have to see where it ends up, but I wouldn't bet my house on it succeeding.

Of course. Nobody is questioning your right to discuss the issue.

Forgive me, I took your question asking who are we to say that the women we were referring to are wrong, more literally than was intended! 😬

As for the assertion that suspected cheaters retired before they were detected, while I’m willing to accept a lot of claims as being based upon reasonable assumptions, you must surely be able to see why I would have considerable difficulty with the idea of suspected cheaters retiring from any sport before they were detected, as though there was evidence of their cheating, which would move them beyond mere suspicion into being able to be offered as evidence that any methods of sex testing were ever successful in detecting men who wished to enter women’s competitions with the intention to cheat. Therefore it’s absolutely correct to state that sex testing didn’t detect cheaters.

Secondly, while I didn’t question that there are surveys which suggest the majority of elite women athletes support sex testing, I acknowledged that their willingness to submit to sex testing has no bearing upon those women who object to submitting to sex testing. By the standards you have invoked already, their refusal could be construed as being suspected of having something to hide, that could be exposed by submitting themselves to sex testing, that they might have intended to cheat, when in reality there is no evidence to support the assumption of anyone intending to cheat, just simply the fact that they are opposed to the idea on the basis that it is a violation of their human rights -

https://www.hrw.org/report/2020/12/04/theyre-chasing-us-away-sport/human-rights-violations-sex-testing-elite-women

The claims that Biden’s Executive Order interferes in any way with what you’re calling “women’s sex based rights” under Title VII are misleading, I would suggest deliberately so, not through any fault of your own, but rather the efforts of a small group of people to mislead the general public -

Our ruling: Missing context

The claim that Biden's gender discrimination executive order says transgender women must be allowed to compete on women's teams is MISSING CONTEXT, based on our research. The order protects against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity and states children should not be "denied access" to "school sports." The White House said this would include having transgender females play on women's teams. But the posts do not acknowledge that rules for transgender athletes are already in place at the college and Olympic levels, as well as in many states and school districts. Further, it is false to say any educational institution that receives federal funding must add biologically male athletes to teams. 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/02/02/fact-check-biden-executive-order-discrimination-transgender-women-sports/6686171002/

The Judges interpretation of the decision in Bostock is correct, the SC were quite explicit about limiting the scope of the decision to employment, but the attempt by Republicans to block the Biden Administrations directives could best be described as clutching at straws -

The Department of Education in its guidance issued last year concluded that because Title IX, which bars sex bias in federally funded educational programs, borrowed language from Title VII, Bostock also applied to schools.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/judge-blocks-biden-admin-directives-transgender-athletes-bathrooms-2022-07-16/

I do agree though that it’s best not to bet your house on any outcome as directives based upon Executive Orders are a terrible idea, precisely because they flip back and forth at the whim of whomever is occupying the White House at the time… actually there’s too many to list under the previous administration, and the one before that, but you get the idea -

https://www.hrc.org/news/the-list-of-trumps-unprecedented-steps-for-the-lgbtq-community

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

What's with the walls of text is this the new strat to shut down debate ? No being personal here. Just seems an odd thing. 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

New strategy? Lord no, he's been doing it for months. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

But it's way worse than normal. The new site does not help as people are lazy and don't bold or quote. So you kind of read what the quote is and then the retort.

Forgive me, I took your question asking who are we to say that the women we were referring to are wrong, more literally than was intended! 😬

Well, I never said you shouldn't be discussing it. I said "who are we to state that women might be wrong" meaning that the question (on attitude to sex testing) is answered simply by asking women what they think rather than men trying to figure it out for themselves.

But it's one thing we need more of - current data about women's attitudes across this whole subject.

As for the assertion that suspected cheaters retired before they were detected, while I’m willing to accept a lot of claims as being based upon reasonable assumptions, you must surely be able to see why I would have considerable difficulty with the idea of suspected cheaters retiring from any sport before they were detected, as though there was evidence of their cheating, which would move them beyond mere suspicion into being able to be offered as evidence that any methods of sex testing were ever successful in detecting men who wished to enter women’s competitions with the intention to cheat. Therefore it’s absolutely correct to state that sex testing didn’t detect cheaters.

Am I surprised you have considerable difficulty accepting this claim? Not really 🙂 . My point is that it's one of these measures that is so successful in solving a problem, that looking for evidence of cheaters being caught is not the right metric for evaluating its success.

Secondly, while I didn’t question that there are surveys which suggest the majority of elite women athletes support sex testing, I acknowledged that their willingness to submit to sex testing has no bearing upon those women who object to submitting to sex testing. By the standards you have invoked already, their refusal could be construed as being suspected of having something to hide, that could be exposed by submitting themselves to sex testing, that they might have intended to cheat, when in reality there is no evidence to support the assumption of anyone intending to cheat, just simply the fact that they are opposed to the idea on the basis that it is a violation of their human rights -

https://www.hrw.org/report/2020/12/04/theyre-chasing-us-away-sport/human-rights-violations-sex-testing-elite-women

Disagreement with a principle, but still submitting oneself to a test, is not the same as refusal to do a test.

Compare with the rigours of drug testing, including:-

• being watched by a person you don't know while half naked peeing into a container
    • having to account for all of your movements months in advance

If an athlete complains about the intrusiveness of all that, but still complies with it, they're not accused of anything. The same way, women who object to the principle of sex testing (but still go along with it) can't be accused of anything either.

The claims that Biden’s Executive Order interferes in any way with what you’re calling “women’s sex based rights” under Title VII are misleading, I would suggest deliberately so, not through any fault of your own, but rather the efforts of a small group of people to mislead the general public -

No need to patronise there. I form my own opinions on this and don't take them from other groups - small or large. I don't want to get bogged down in this point because it will eventually be answered in the courts. But, I'll explain my thinking. It seems clearer to me maybe because the same type of order would be much more obviously thrown out in the Irish courts than it would in the more complex US system, even though they are both based on the same common law principles. The principle in question is legislating through government order, or regulations as we call them here, as opposed to by passing laws in the elected legislature. The Irish courts have a history of tightly restraining regulations to only matters that have been explicitly allowed for in legislation. So, say we had a law that outlawed sex discrimination in sport in third level colleges, along with a huge pile of relevant regulations. Could you (by adding one small ministerial regulation) change the meaning of sex to include anyone who identifies as a particular sex? The idea sounds completely crazy and nobody would try it here, but that's what Biden has effectively done in the US (though I realise he was just overturning an order made by Trump). The quote you gave earlier from Gorsuch where he said something like the text in a statute has to trump "extratextual considerations" But, the issue here is the ordinary meaning of words in a statute not extratextual considerations. You can't use a government regulation to turn upside down the original intended meaning of a word that underpins a piece of legislation. And I think he might have a different view on that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,879 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You asked who are we, I told you exactly who we are. It’s not complicated.

I wasn’t patronising you either. Your idea then that the directive had any bearing on “women’s sex based rights” was wrong.

You say one can’t use a Government regulation to turn upside down the meaning of a word that underpins legislation, yet that’s exactly what critics of the decision were bawling Gorsuch has just done, and Biden is doing it toooooo, meanies!

Meanwhile, here in Ireland, Government Ministers can eventually introduce legislation which recognises the equal rights of everyone in Irish society, and wouldn’t you know it they did it without asking everyone! God dammit they’re hoors for doing that kind of thing (Ministers for Education are especially hoorish for doing it, constantly firing off circulars!), and then having the President sign an Act into Irish Law which said this?

Effect of gender recognition certificate generally

18. (1) Where a gender recognition certificate is issued to a person the person’s gender shall from the date of that issue become for all purposes the preferred gender so that if the preferred gender is the male gender the person’s sex becomes that of a man, and if it is the female gender the person’s sex becomes that of a woman.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/25/section/18/enacted/en/html#sec18

Doesn’t happen apparently.

• Advertisement

Okay, I think we'll leave it there for now. I've made a few points and people can judge themselves whether they make sense or not.

There’s no question your points do make sense, it’s just I don’t happen to share them is all, particularly the idea that anyone outside of a particular sport is not in a position to comment on sports policies which they take issue with, and you were going in that direction by suggesting who are we as men to be commenting on sex testing in women’s sports.

You put so much emphasis on surveys in which the women questioned share your point of view, as though it meant the policies should stand regardless of anyone’s opinion because the women involved support them and because we’re men we shouldn’t have any say. That’d certainly be convenient from your point of view, but we can both engage in that sort of shenanigans. I don’t expect you to comment on the results of another survey, but I would never suggest you couldn’t comment because we should ask people who are transgender for their opinions about a policy which seeks to exclude them from participating in sports. Do you imagine it’s possible they might disagree with the policy?

You hardly need surveys to tell you what should be blatantly obvious if you are actually interested in forming an opinion of your own, but just by way of demonstrating what I mean -

In a video that premiered on Tuesday, August 16, Rugby player and Olympic gold medallist Ellia Green came out as a Trans man, making him the first Olympian in history to do so. The rugby star was pushed to come out by the increasing number of bans that prevent Transgender athletes from competing in sports.

Ellia Green was part of Australia’s Rugby Sevens team that won the gold medal at the 2016 Olympics. He played rugby professionally for ten years and is now retired and living with his wife and young daughter in Sydney.

The Olympian came out as a Trans man in a video that was broadcasted during the Bingham Cup International Summit tackling transphobia and homophobia in sport. The event aimed at developing strategies to promote the inclusion of LGBTQ+ athletes in the sports industry and presented important research conducted on the subject.

The research in question was presented by Prof. Saewyc and conducted jointly by UBC and Monash University (Australia).

They collected data from 7 rugby clubs in Canada, and 14 clubs in Australia and the UK to examine the attitudes of rugby players in regards to the participation of Trans athletes in sports, with the following results:

• 87% of women playing rugby in Canada support full inclusion of Trans women in their sport;
    • 80% of them also disagreed with the statement “I would feel ‘unsafe’ playing with a Transgender woman”;
    • 57% of all players reported having heard sexist slurs at their clubs, 22% homophobic slurs and 16% transphobic language.

https://gcn.ie/first-olympian-trans-man/

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jaysus you are obsessed with trans women beating the crap out of cis women. 😐

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

Have to hold me hand up and admit that is something that does worry me in light of your hero Fallon Foxes enjoyment in fracturing women faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In a video that premiered on Tuesday, August 16, Rugby player and Olympic gold medallist Ellia Green came out as a Trans man, making him the first Olympian in history to do so.

Caitlyn Jenner was the first .

Jenner wasn’t the first Olympian in history to come out as a trans man. Jenner was the first Olympian athlete in transgender history to come out as a woman -

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-people-brucejenner-interview-idUKKBN0NG02J20150425

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Do you know where anyone could read that survey?

I don’t tbh, I looked for it because I wanted to see the researchers methodology too.

Before you point them out, I’m well aware that the survey results suggest an enormous selection bias given there are 10,000 women’s rugby players in Canada alone, and they only refer to the survey data from 7 clubs (out of 30 women’s rugby clubs), and make no mention of the data from women’s rugby clubs in the UK and Australia!

Given the researcher is Canadian herself, it’s not entirely unsurprising that she would use the Canadian data, but the Summit was in Australia, where Ellia Green is from…

But the point was that I was demonstrating I could do the same shenanigans as plodder was doing in only presenting data which appears to support my argument, but it’s not actually either reliable or relevant, and it sure as hell doesn’t mean that we can’t discuss all the various aspects of these kinds of policies, without attempting the identity politics nonsense.

FWIW this is the researchers bio -

https://nursing.ubc.ca/our-people/elizabeth-saewyc

And this is Ellia Green’s Wiki entry -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellia_Green

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I read about Ellia Green yesterday. All the while they were growing up and then playing rugby, it must have been turmoil for them feeling the way they did and hiding their identity until they retired.

Yet another example which supports the view that these new policies in women’s sports aren’t about protecting the integrity of the sport or protecting players safety or fairness or anything else, they’re entirely about policing women and ensuring they conform to sex stereotypes based upon gender -

https://evoke.ie/2022/08/22/viewpoint/teenager-mortified-forced-to-change-dublin-club

'But the bouncers were like, "why are you waiting?" So I turned to go in and a female staff member stopped me. I said to her, "Oh sorry, I've paid, here's my stamp." But she said I wasn't allowed in. I asked if it was because she needed to see my ID, but she just replied, "No, your pants."

'I started laughing because I thought it was a funny thing to say. But she was really serious and I couldn't understand it, I'd paid at this point. Someone would surely have said it to me earlier — I'd passed three bouncers.

'So I asked her, "What do you mean my pants?" and she told me they were too baggy. I was completely sober and started to try and reason with her, I told her she could pat me up and down, that I wasn't trying to sneak drink in my pants. But she said that wasn't the issue.'

'As soon as I got in, I went straight to the bathroom and changed into my pants,' she explains. 'No one looked twice at me, not the bouncers, and nor did I get bothered by any men in there. But it wasn't the same for my friends, the ones who were wearing skirts. There was a lot of grabbing and I think it was because I was wearing baggy pants that I didn't get groped.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

You do realise that this article is about a night club, and not a sports club. This is an example of something that shouldn't happen, but is absolutely nothing to with sports or transgender people.

I do realise that, which is why I explained the relevance of the article in the context of the point I have been making throughout this thread about these new policies in women’s sports -

Yet another example which supports the view that these new policies in women’s sports aren’t about protecting the integrity of the sport or protecting players safety or fairness or anything else, they’re entirely about policing women and ensuring they conform to sex stereotypes based upon gender…

But if you must insist on restricting examples of policing women to sports to ensure they conform to expectations of their sex based upon gender stereotypes, there’s no shortage of examples to choose from either -

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article252902723.html

It hardly seems like an unreasonable expectation that if the governing bodies of sports had any interest whatsoever in maintaining the integrity of women’s sports, or the athletes safety, or fairness or whatever else… these issues wouldn’t be so rampant in sports as they actually already are in reality, as opposed to attempting to justify their behaviour by claiming they’re trying to keep women safe from mythical bogeymen! Were I a woman in those circumstances I’d be thinking “I don’t need your protection, thanks!”, because it would appear the people they actually need protecting from, are the people who claim to be protecting them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I remember going to a club many years ago and one of the guys with us wasn’t allowed in. The reason given was “You’re too bald” The bouncer would be called baldphobic these days.

Never try to understand the inner workings of a bouncers brain

As someone who used to be a bouncer you’re after making me paranoid now 😂

Ahh no, that did give me a laugh though, but I know exactly what you mean 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't find that rugby player study, all the links seem to go back to the press release which omitted one bit

"A study co-led by UBC researchers shows that while about 30 per cent of women think trans women have an unfair advantage, they overwhelmingly don’t support banning trans athletes from rugby."

UBC In The News

So it looks like 70% of the respondents aren't fully informed of the data.

Equally, it looks like 100% of the survey respondents are fully informed of the data, and while 30% of them think trans women have an unfair advantage, they overwhelmingly don’t support banning trans athletes from rugby.

The statement doesn’t give any indication at all about the opinions of the remaining 70%. All you’re doing is inferring that the ‘silent majority’ shares your opinion.

That's a really good article about policing women and ensuring they conform to stereotypes. It's shocking actually. Fair play to the women concerned for highlighting it. But, it has nothing to do with these new policies in women's sports. Policing how women ought to behave is a very different issue compared to defining what is a woman for the purpose of sport.

How appallingly dismissive. Is it inconvenient for you?

They posted twice about it - that's what it takes to be obsessive? And yeah violence like that of scumbag "Fallon" Fox is indeed cause for concern. It being violence like. Women (no need for that "cis" shoite) overall have lesser physical strength. The delightful person in question cracked a woman's skull.

The level of cognitive dissonance needed to handwave that away is immense.

Good on Justin Webb. Most journalists will say anything other than admit they got it wrong.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

defining what is a woman for the purpose of sport.

Even the people who are coming up with these new rules would bristle at that description plodder 😁

They’ll be the first to correct anyone who would even suggest that they’re trying to define what a woman is for the purposes of sport, by saying that the new rules are for the purposes of determining who is eligible to participate in the women’s categories in any particular sports, or particular events within the sport.

I explained already the relevance of the circumstances in the article, because rather than it just being limited to sports, it’s a phenomenon in wider society which feeds into sports. It would be ridiculous to suggest that sports exist independently of wider society, or that what happens in wider society isn’t reflected in or doesn’t have any impact on women’s sports. It clearly does, or we wouldn’t be having this conversation at all.

As I suggested earlier - if the organisations and governing bodies which are coming up with these new rules which they claim are in order to protect the integrity of women’s sports and protect women’s safety and all the rest of it, then it’s not unreasonable to question why they don’t appear be actually interested in doing any of that, given what we actually do know about the levels of abuse of authority and all forms of abuse that women already are exposed to in women’s sports?

FIFA tried the same craic in women’s football by banning the hijab from the pitch citing “health and safety concerns”, copped themselves on after a few years and lifted the ban in 2014, now the French are at it again -

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/apr/28/women-faith-football-hijab-fifa-ban

https://theconversation.com/amp/why-muslim-women-choose-to-wear-headscarves-while-participating-in-sports-176441

I understand that it would be incredibly convenient for some people if it weren’t being pointed out that these types of rules have nothing to do with women’s health and safety or maintaining competitive fairness or any of the rest of it, because that’s not what’s happening, and the new rules aren’t doing anything to make the sports safer or to be fair to women or any of the rest of it, they’re entirely about policing women in order to ensure they conform to expected sex stereotypes on the basis of their gender.

The athletes opinion that they are a woman doesn’t matter, as has clearly been evidenced by the treatment of Caster Semenya. Even reading this article from 2009 it’s obvious that people had certain expectations that she would still conform to even their sex stereotypes when her coach asks rhetorically what if she gets a boyfriend?

Seme laughs softly. "She is 18 now, and we must always remember she is a woman. What if she gets a boyfriend? All these things can disturb her. I can't stop her doing this even if it will affect her mind as an athlete. In South Africa everyone is free now. When she's got a boyfriend I can't stop her. So there is no guarantee. But if she can keep her focus, and she is allowed to run, she can do something special."

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2009/nov/14/caster-semenya-donald-mcrae-training-camp

13 years later and Caster is married alright, to a woman, they have two children, and her case against World Athletics has been accepted to be heard by the ECHR. Whatever way you look at it, she is damned impressive, in every domain, but because she doesn’t meet their expectations, she is prohibited from certain events in the sport where she excels.

Women are the losers in those circumstances, because it reinforces the idea that if they attempt to step out of other people’s comfort zones and the restrictions placed upon them by wider society, they’ll be made to suffer the consequences. That’s what is meant by policing women - making sure that any women who don’t conform will be humiliated and punished.

That’s why these new policies and their claimed motivations ring hollow - they’re aiming at the wrong targets. They should be aiming at excluding people from sports who want to abuse other people, instead of protecting those people within the sport because the image of the sport must be maintained at all costs. That’s going to be considerably more difficult in the future with the advent of social media and the opportunities it’s giving women to speak out about the abuse they suffer within the sports industry -

https://globalsportmatters.com/culture/2021/03/12/43-years-after-melissa-ludtke-female-sports-journalists-face-the-same-treatment/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Trans activism is just a vehicle for many of these people to make women pay. It's a vehicle they hopped on to.

They are not reflective of most trans people, ignore their dismissive attitudes.

Advertisement