Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo night out ideas: Places to go that aren't the pub

• 21-08-2022 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭

This one's gonna need some context:

So generally I'll head out to the local pub once or twice a week. I'm not your typical pub goer, I don't meet anybody and speak to as few people as possible. I'll pop in some noise cancelling headphones, listen to a podcast, have a couple of pints and then grab a takeaway on the walk home

Yeah, I know, I'm not exactly the life of the party. But it's my chance to unwind in the evenings

I find it difficult to relax at home because I'm always seeing jobs that need doing, or I'm worried the kids will wake up. I've got one of those personalities that has trouble switching off it seems

The problem is that I want to give up the pints and the takeaways for a few months. Not too concerned about drinking, more trying to lose a few pounds from my gut

So now I've got to come up with some ideas of things to do to unwind that aren't going to the pub

I know I could go to the pub and not drink alcohol (or just drink whiskey 😁) but I feel a bit weird doing that. Like going to a restaurant and not eating any food

So does anyone have any ideas for heading out in the evening that doesn't involve the pub and doesn't require me to meet up with anybody?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I suppose here's a few ideas I had and my thoughts on them

Cinema, not many good films out at the moment though

Evening gym, healthy but not exactly relaxing

Evening walk/run, similar problem, also I'd be worried I'll be attacked or something

Go for a drive, I enjoy driving along the motorway with the music playing, but driving at night can be difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

If you play poker, you could go for a game of an evening? I've started playing again recently and go on my own. Same as you, I pop my headphones in and listen to a podcast or some such. Very rarely you'd get into any kind of conversation, even though youre at a table with 8 other people and just play your game. If you're in Dublin a very popular place has games on 5 nights a week with buy ins from €60 to €120.

Now, I don't think you're going to relax much, stop thinking, etc while on your own, without alcohol/drugs.. so I'd recommend finding something new to do socially.

Toastmasters. Yes, there's alcohol involved, but not much. It's mostly meeting others and talking.

Wargaming/Tabletop gaming: Very enjoyable to watch or participate in. Re-enactments of military battles, campaigns from history, or the Warhammer variety of gaming. Can be hilarious depending on the crowd, and the after game drinks are great.

Roleplaying/LARP nights. Not for everyone, but if you can suspend your maturity for a moment, there's often sessions run by middle-aged adults, which can be heaps of fun. Drinking alcohol is generally optional, but you'll rarely drink that much. Great way to relax, and dabble in new ideas.

Being on your own pretty much guarantees that you'll continue thinking too much, and about the same shite you wanted to ignore for a while. You need a distraction..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Head to your local library

Those all sound good, and to be fair it's not like I'm totally antisocial, I do enjoy meeting up with my friends and colleagues when I can

I do like my quiet time out of the house though. I find listening to things like podcasts or reading a book do help to get my mind off all the problems of the world for a bit

• Advertisement

That's a good one, I just found out it closes as 8pm, on always thought it was a strict 9-5 service

Ah I've lost every bet I've ever made, so I'm not sure poker would be a good idea 🤣

An arcade or other games might be a good plan though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just stop getting the takeaway on your way home. Problem solved, no?

Well the pints aren't helping either, also they make avoiding the takeaway a lot more difficult 😜

I do like to treat myself, life is for living after all. But I know I need some alternative ideas so I have somewhere to go which isn't the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

OP, would have been helpful if you’d have enlightened us as to what part of the country you inhabit ?

if its Dublin…

Join the Irish film Institute, good array of films, comfortable cinemas and a nice cafe bar that afterwards you could sit down and enjoy some nice food, drinks, snacks etc. it’s not a pub it’s a cafe style eatery..

gym..great way to invest time enabling greater levels of health and fitness, it’s enjoyable, interesting and pays you back in spades for the effort you put in. Put the headphones in and it IS nice and relaxing… I love it…I DO actually find it relaxing, you put in as much effort as you want / need to. Also you can go 2/3 nights a week if you wish, once membership is paid you go whenever.

if you enjoy sport, head to watch Leinster / Munster , or your local LOI team….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Where are you living?

I'm in North County Dublin, I always felt there's lots to do around me but most of it requires a group of people (escape rooms and that kind of thing)

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the IFI and might give the evening gym a shot. In general I prefer sitting on my arse to being active (who doesn't), but as you say it does pay itself back on terms of health benefits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cinema / theatre.

Bingo (I guess you can do this by yourself - never tried it myself!)

Look out for talks from local historical societies etc.

If there's a church that's open, so in an "pray" (shure they won't know that you're listening to a podcast :-)

I'm not much of a spiritual type, and given some of the opinions I've had about various religions I'd be worried about being struck by lightning if I walked onto any god's home turf

There are mediation spaces around some places though, I guess they wouldn't know if I'm listening to a podcast, although it might give the game away if one of the presenters makes a joke and I just burst out laughing in the middle of "meditation" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Go fishing.

Buy a half decent telescope and try star gazing.

Slot machines.

Cinema.

Bowling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

What about hitting a couple of hundred balls at the driving range? Lots in NCD like Kinsealy etc.. or my favourite is sticking the sport on the radio and going for a drive on all the back roads in NCD like around Garristown, Naul, Nevitt, Oldtown etc

Haha, sounds like a good way to work off stress, I can imagine a few targets I'd be aiming for

I quite enjoy an evening drive, although I tend to just cruise up and down the motorway while listening to some music or a podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Get a dog and take dog for long walks.

Edit

Or do same with a neighbour's dog..but ask first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A bowling alley is a good shout. I have been meaning to go myself lately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement