Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Gifted as they are with the power of bilocation. They're busy guys. Do they ever get any sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hasn't the world always been this way ?

If you control the narrative you control the "truth" ...

It's scary how little time it takes for a manufactured "truth " or a spin on truth to become an incontrovertible accepted truth ... ( Not just in Russia, or in authoritarian states , but they're definitely at the extreme end of the practice , )

George Orwell didn't invent 1984 out of thin air ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ultranationalist. I mean it's insane where mere nationalism undersells the jingoistic zeal we're talking about here.

Wonder who the potential perpetrators could be, given it's usually opponents to Putin who meet grisly ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Every scratch any individual received due to conflict since then is completely Russias fault.'

Just to be clear here, though it probably doesn't even need to be said, but moral responsibility for torture, murder and massacring civilians lies with the parties commiting those acts (though I'm not saying that the Ukrainians are doing any of that) - and moral responsibility for evil acts cannot be laid at the feet of another party because 'they started it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

However, by mentioning it you are implicating Ukraine to a sense. No Russians would have been harmed due to war if it wasn’t for Russia. How does that sound?

No I'm not implicating Ukraine in anything, I'm an Irish person reminding other Irish people that it is never licit to commit atrocities.

I initially replied to a poster who blamed everyone but Russia. You seem to have issue there Russia started it judging by your initial reply. Russia are 100% to blame for every scratch caused by their interference in Ukraine going back years. If they hadn’t interfered, and then invaded, the people I was referring to would not have been harmed as a result. It’s really is quite simple to understand.

My point is also simple to understand. If a person commits an evil act, e.g. torture, moral responsibility for that lies with the torturer and not with third parties who set in train the events that led up to it.

Since my point is orthogonal to yours (I hope, since you're hardly excusing war crimes are you?) then why are you even replying to me?

• Advertisement

I’m replying to you because you were quoting me.

So far there has been no evidence of Ukrainian war crimes, yet you had to mention them. There is loads of evidence of Russian war crimes though. If Ukrainian war crimes are committed I do trust that they will be investigated as the Ukrainian government said they would.

I did not mention Ukrainian war crimes. I specifically said that I wasn't implying anything like that, in brackets, so I wouldn't be misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

How about Ukraine shelling a Nuclear Power plant endangering the lives of millions of Europeans? Whilst incredulously trying to convince the world that the Russians have suddenly started shelling their own soldiers for some unknown reason in a complex that they have already occupied for months.

How about the Ukrainian forces filming and posting on social media videos of themselves kneecapping and executing captured Russian POWs?

How about the daily shelling of Donetsk City and the dropping of outlawed petal mines where there are no russian military targets but just civilian residential areas? Whilst yet again trying to convince the world that the DPR are spreading them all over their home city to kill and maim their own people.

How about deliberately firing a Tochka U missile into a crowded Kramatorsk Railway station and blaming the Russians on it even though the missiles debris showed a serial number proving it was Ukrainian Stock and could only have been fired from Ukrainian held territory?

How about the whole Human Shield tactics in Mariupol?

Not saying the Russians haven't got their own psycho crew with their own hideous atrocities like the chechen torture video but trying to say the Ukrainians have not committed any atrocities in months of warfare makes you come across as incredibly naive.

Its war. It brings out the worst in mankind. No side is immune.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How about Ukraine shelling a Nuclear Power plant endangering the lives of millions of Europeans? Whilst incredulously trying to convince the world that the Russians have suddenly started shelling their own soldiers for some unknown reason in a complex that they have already occupied for months.

How about deliberately firing a Tochka U missile into a crowded Kramatorsk Railway station and blaming the Russians on it even though the missiles debris showed a serial number proving it was Ukrainian Stock and could only have been fired from Ukrainian held territory?

You are using completely diametrically opposed logic in these two statements. Why would Ukraine fire a missile into their own fleeing citizens?

Ukrainians have undoubtedly committed some crimes - I would be amazed if any army in history did not. It is quite clearly Russian policy to commit them (cf the brigade responsible for Bucha getting a presidential medal, as opposed to promises from the Ukrainian govt to investigate and punish the perpetrators of the POW crimes), and on a far, far larger scale. And the fact any of this is happening is entirely their fault.

"Both sides"ism is utter abject nonsense.

Welcome back with your Russian propaganda and trolling. I do say trolling because yet again when you have been proven to be talking crap you disappear for a few days and try to latch onto something new.

Civilians were sheltering from the indiscriminate shelling and destruction of the city of Mariupol. The Ukrainian army were doing what they should do against any invading force…protecting their people.

As for the shelling of the nuclear power plant…evidence please. There is evidence of Russia using the turbine room as storage for vehicles however. Russians have shelled their own forces previously in the last few months, so it would be nothing new for them.

Evidence please for the railway station attack. Also a reason! Why the hell does Ukraine need to attack and waste weapons on their own people when Russia commit enough atrocities without needing assistance? It has no benefit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Another pack of Russian lies and propaganda without independent substantiation. Like your previous claims about the BBC report into the shooting of unarmed Maidan protestors - which the report directly contradicted & the Budapest Agreement which your liar in chief Lavrov wouldn't even stoop to.

This is multiple times now you have accused Ukraine of actions you are 'outraged' about which all available evidence shows were conducted by Russia. And yet when the facts are clearly shown to you, there is no withdrawal of the false accusation, no redirection of the outrage to Russia. You just move onto the next angle in your attempt to 'both sides' the conflict.

Why is Russia using a nuclear plant as a military launch pad for attacks? Russia are shelling nuclear fuel storage plants in the complex.

Ukraine has said Russian shells landed close to where radioactive material is stored

https://www.dw.com/en/russia-ukraine-updates-fresh-shelling-reported-at-ukrainian-nuclear-plant/a-62778568

Initially, Russian state media and pro-Russian telegram channels claimed successful Russian airstrikes on a military transport target in Kramatorsk. After it became clear that the missiles had killed civilians, however, earlier reports were redacted, the Russian government denied responsibility for the attack, and the Russian Ministry of Defence characterized it as a Ukrainian hoax.[35][37] The Russian Ministry of Defence claimed that the missiles were launched by Ukrainian forces from the city of Dobropillia, southwest of Kramatorsk... The Russian Ministry of Defense claimed that their forces no longer use Tochka-U missiles. However, Amnesty International, the investigative journalists of the Conflict Intelligence Team, and a number of military experts had already reported the use of Tochkas by Russian forces in multiple parts of Ukraine prior to the strike on Kramatorsk... Serial numbers cannot be used to prove which side fired the missile, however, since all Tochka-U's were manufactured at a single site in Russia and distributed from there across the Soviet Union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramatorsk_railway_station_attack#cite_note-46

Human Rights Watch has found evidence of Russia using “at least seven types of antipersonnel mines in at least four regions of Ukraine” since February 24, 2022. Ukrainian officials have estimated that up to 160,000 square kilometres in the country may be contaminated by unexploded landmines. Meanwhile, HRW has seen no evidence that Ukraine has used the mines, an action that would amount to a violation of the Ottawa Treaty. Still, accusations against both sides have flourished. 

https://observers.france24.com/en/europe/20220817-ukraine-russia-donetsk-petal-butterfly-antipersonnel-mines

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

Im not on here everyday because I, you know , have a life where other things happen. No need for the troll accusations.

"Why the hell does Ukraine need to attack and waste weapons on their own people when Russia commit enough atrocities without needing assistance?"

If you believe Russia somehow killed people with missiles it doesn't use, launched from a point beyond their effective range at the time with Ukrainian registration numbers then you go ahead and think that. As for the motive we are talking about a time when they were telling the world that Russia had child rape dungeons and were massacring tens of thousands of civilians. All lies. Also Kramatorsk is in Donbass. A pro Russian area . Zelensky is conscripting thousands of his own citizens into sitting ducks for Russian artillery in the meat grinder front of the Donbass. Do you honestly think he would care about the citizens of a Russian friendly city? They were still at that stage hoping NATO would still get involved directly in the conflict.

The one front that the Ukrainians have absolutely crushed the Russians in is the Public Relations war. Its all they are good at to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

These lies cannot stand.

The Russian Ministry of Defense claimed that their forces no longer use Tochka-U missiles. However, Amnesty International, the investigative journalists of the Conflict Intelligence Team, and a number of military experts had already reported the use of Tochkas by Russian forces in multiple parts of Ukraine prior to the strike on Kramatorsk... Serial numbers cannot be used to prove which side fired the missile, however, since all Tochka-U's were manufactured at a single site in Russia and distributed from there across the Soviet Union.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

As regards Russian use of "Tochka-U" - where have you been?

Russia only denied using them for a few weeks after their attack on the train station - they were proudly talking about their Tochka-U attacks thereafter once it had served it's FUD purpose- plus there are videos with Tochka-Us being driven around known highways in Belarus, Russia etc.

E.g.: https://www.newsweek.com/russian-official-accidentally-reveals-missiles-used-ukraine-tochka-u-1724266

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod: bobowen banned for 2 days for trolling. Please dont reply to his posts until he returns. If someone suspects trolling, report the post, please dont reply on thread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not believe that Ukraine would have the capability to do this. They would need access to the vehicle, have the skill and munitions to plant the bomb, and escape undetected. It just is too fantastic to be true.

It smells like an internal FSB action for whatever reason. Either a false flag or internal power struggle. I doubt it will become apparent anytime soon unless the next one gets Putin.

Of course, it could have been James Bond on Truss's instructions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well exactly. Ukraine probably have a dart board of Russian assets and installations they'd love to hit - some Putin ally in Moscow couldn't possibly be one of them.

I see it's Ukrainian Independence Day on Wednesday. The Russian response that day will be telling. Assuming you recognise Ukraine as sovereign. We know some here don't, however they dress it up in faux intellectual wittering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This seems like a prudent move by the Ukrainians:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Quickest investigation ever

Almost as if they had all the evidence in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Put them on the JFK case and watch them solve that in seconds, maybe figure out where the Malaysian airliner disappeared to..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭amandstu

Such cynicism. If Mussolini could make the trains run on time why cannot Putin do the same with the "justice" system?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

And yet for all their investigative prowess they still can't get to the bottom of the Anna Politvivskaya and the Zarema Zadulayev-to name only two of several unsolved killings-murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Yea - I understand that the investigators found a Ukr passport, a season ticket to the opera house in Kiev , a very recent receipt to the local SPAR in Liev - all totally up scorched !,,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Must be the world's worst terrorist to then leave a mountain of proof for the authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,529 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If you recall the July 2005 bombings in London, the police were unable to ascertain that a second attack was on the way a fortnight after the first, despite amassing a ton of evidence about the first four terrorists. A pity the FSB weren't there to solve it for them!

Advertisement