Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Vuelta Stage 3 - Breda to Breda (193.2km)

Options
  • 21-08-2022 1:32pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last stage before we head for Spain and last chance for sprinters for a while. Can Sam do it again? I don't see why not but in a copy paste from yesterday the same names will be trying to stop him - Merlier, Groves, Ackermann, Pedersen etc. We are about 70km in already as I type and De Gendt is in the break so who knows. Also I note Woods is a DNF after a fall which is a pity. I checked the dropout list and that makes 3 gone now although one of them, Penalver, didn't event start at all so really it's two. Anyway I'm sure you'll be glued to every km (i.e. last 5km) of this one so I'll leave it at that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Guessing Bora will be happy enough to let the break hang out there until after the intermediate so Sam doesn't have to bother marking pedersen if he goes for the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Lets just hope we get a repeat of yesterday's result, it would be great for Sam's confidence to finish the season on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

MOD VOICE: Seasonal reminder that doping speculation will be met with a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sam was miles out of position coming into that last corner, absolutely phenomenal stuff for him to finish like that, had to kick so early

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Wow from nowhere and all thanks to Van Poppel. Great stuff from Sam again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes, yes, yes, Chapeau Dan. Woohoo!!!

I thought he'd messed that up in the final km put they kept their heads on. Danny did the business for him again there.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

That was a great sprint from Sam in the end. A couple of months ago I do t think he would have kicked on. And great work by Van Poppel to get him in position.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Very strong lead out from DvP. For a man who could have been no.1 for this race he is really invested in Sam.

Bennett is winning from way back as it is. If he manages to sprint from the front he will destroy this field.

They made a good point about Mullen there, sees the lads are far back so pulls off so as not to help the other teams behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Amazing finish, I thought that was it at the last corner, and then the two of them came up on the other side. Danny with a great lead out. Looked like Sam went early enough as well but that could be the camera angle. Absolutely savage finish and I'm still not convinced he is fully opening up yet, he just looks incredible across the line.

Also kudos to Ryan doing a nice job protecting him up until near the second last corner.

He always looks boxed in but I suppose he is happy to back himself to make the ground up against whats mostly a B-team/classics sprint field.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

On form and fit, the only sprinter better than Sam is Jacobsen. Philipsen could be argued. Demare is decent too.

You are forgetting Groenewegen and also Ewan who was the only guy challenging Sam on top form.

As well as that superman all rounder WvA has beaten most of them in sprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

the classification yesterday on the official website was error-filled

Bennett has well and indeed a 37-points advantage on his only competitor now, Pedersen

The latter is able to win 1 medium-moutain stage (30 points) with Sam taking no points, and about 3 "breakaway" intermediate sprint wins (3X20), much more harder for Sam to score any point after a climb

Bennett is better on sprints and should take a + 20 difference on at least 2 of the 3 flat stages finishes + 12 points or so in intermediate flat sprints

So virtually 37 - 90 + 40 + 12

Tied

If both are in full-form

And Pedersen may decline after Tour de France effort

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fantastic win by Sam and another amazing job by Danny van P.

Forgot Groenewegam, fair cop there.

ewan a step below them now IMO. WVA obviously a good sprinter but he can’t beat the top lads flat out IMO

Ewan has done more than Sam the last few years.

Could just as easily use the "form and fit" reasoning for him.

Sure. I don’t really want to get in a back and forth about it but I think Sam is better. I really think Jacobsen is on his own ahead of the rest though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Sam has won

Fun fact..... Sam has actually won more WT races this season than Jakobsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm top of the Velogames Boards League going into the first rest day! 🥳🍾

Advertisement