Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I thought so!

I’ll let you get back to vilifying the locals ‘Jack’.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Villifying?

I commended their community spirit! Like I said - nothing brings a community together like blow-ins! I certainly didn’t refer to anyone as swine, that was your word, motivated by your own all-too-common feverent pearl-clutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

And we’re back to nonsensical rambling in an futile effort to land some kind of point.

It is good though that you acknowledge community spirit and are no doubt supportive of the local people, exercising their democratic right, to have a stake in the composition of their locality.

That’s a positive step ‘Jack’. Keep going like this and you’re inching towards a road to Damascus conversion.

And we’re back to nonsensical rambling in an futile effort to land some kind of point.

We? Speak for yourself.

And in that same vein, much as I’m bemused by your constant efforts to inform me of how bored you are of my opinions, feel free to PM me should you wish to continue that discussion, and let this one get back to the discussion of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

All them 50 lads should be accommodated in tents. It's long past time we have the army set up standing camps for refugees & asylum seekers. Basic shelter & food is all that we need to provide.

• Advertisement

That’s a fair point, and at least it’s more reasonable than any “unvetted males” nonsense when these are refugees who have been granted that legal status by the Irish Government.

That’s not to say that the Irish Government are above criticism for their absolute balls to the wall, disorganised approach to accommodating refugees, but this is an emergency situation and a humanitarian crisis in which the circumstances are changing constantly. I’m not sure anyone posting here complaining about it could or would have done much better themselves.

It’s true that the Irish Government are only required to meet a minimum standard set of requirements under international law, but I’m not complaining that they are going above and beyond what was required of them.

Portraying the treatment of refugees as being a priority over other groups in Irish society as though the Government have taken their eye off the ball and could have addressed the needs of those other groups in society were it not for refugees is a false narrative - the Irish Government aren’t prohibited from continuing to address all peoples concerns and provide for their needs, while at the same time providing for the needs of refugees.

Setting up tents and all the rest of it might seem like a good idea, but people living in ‘tented communities’ don’t tend to fare very well in terms of their safety, when there exists in Irish society a tiny minority of people who are particularly spiteful towards those people that they would endanger their lives with actions like this, just for the sheer hell of it -

https://www.irishpost.com/news/gang-kids-laugh-burn-set-tent-fire-homeless-man-inside-dublin-166896

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

I would like to know their grounds for exemption and why they are here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

NGO on RTE news complaining about Ukrainians being moved from student accommodations . So what is her solution ? Where would she put them ? These NGOs are all mouth but doing very little to change anything .

As for the shambles of the Red Cross organising pledged home dont even get me started

I just saw that on the news. Ireland is doing what it can for the Ukrainian people but it is far from perfect given our own troubles. Of course it will be difficult to be moved from pillar to post after all they have been through so much.

However perspective is needed. God forbid we ever find ourselves in such a situation but you can be sure I would be happy for my family and me to be away from conflict. Move me here there and anywhere you wish because you have given me my life back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Ha did I not say that a while ago. Can't be moving them out. Let the students rot. 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Have you found those students the accommodation they are looking for Jack?

As I remember you said they can 'stay wherever they can find to stay'. That was good enough for them!

Are you going to put up all those refugees in your own community, beside where YOU live?

Thought not.

Instead you will write a stream of verbiage to make yourself feel good and so much better than others

The problem is those tents wont be habitable in winter or even the end of Autumn.

The whole thing is a disaster from pillar to post.

But we MUST take in unlimited refugees.

Who is benefiting exactly?

Apart from that..wtf is the plan?

Do you honestly think that they’ll keep coming to such conditions?

I dont know?

whats the plan is what I am asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119502831#Comment_119502831 There was an error displaying this embed.

For €200+ a week and no bills, free food etc.? I am sure some will take us up on the offer, yes.

The issue isn't if they will keep coming, it is that the government should stop taking them in now.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Have you found those students the accommodation they are looking for Jack?

As I remember you said they can 'stay wherever they can find to stay'. That was good enough for them!

I don’t remember saying I was looking to find any students accommodation, are you sure you’re not mixing me up with someone else?

Are you going to put up all those refugees in your own community, beside where YOU live? 

Thought not.

Seems you’re more keen to answer your own questions on my behalf, but for what it’s worth, I don’t have any control over where either refugees or students are accommodated, and I’ve never had any issues with them being my neighbours, because for one thing I don’t imagine I own the whole area, but I have no issues either with helping them get their children into the local schools and sports clubs and encouraging them to contribute to the community, as it’s as much their community as it is mine.

Instead you will write a stream of verbiage to make yourself feel good and so much better than others

Do you feel so much better now than me after getting that out of your system? If it makes you feel any better at all, you’re better than I am 👍

Agree 100%. Tents are not suitable for a dog to inhabit during harsh Irish Winter. This is an unavoidable disaster waiting to happen. Negligible at least, Ludicrous at worst.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119502831#Comment_119502831 There was an error displaying this embed.

Unfortunately I think the government is making it too attractive for them to continue coming. I genuinely pity the newbies who aren't here yet. What lies in store for them is horrendous. They shouldn't be actively encouraged to continue coming here, when the government clearly cannot commit to provide adequately for their needs. I hope I am wrong in this regard but I just think disaster waiting to happen. There is no shame in saying "sorry we are at full capacity",let us look after the refugees we have with dignity.No tents.

There is no shame in saying "sorry we are at full capacity",let us look after the refugees we have with dignity".

There’s a lot of shame in saying that to people who, as you already point out “our Government are making it too attractive for them”, when what they’re fleeing from, is horrendous. We’re not at full capacity or anything like it, and as for looking after the refugees we have with dignity, there’s no end of complaining that they’re being TOO well looked after. Sure isn’t that why they keep coming?

I’ve no doubt many would never have thought of fleeing from their homes in Ukraine and uprooting their lives had it not been for their country being invaded by Russia and the threats to their safety and the safety of their families, but having weighed up the risks of either staying or fleeing, they’re obviously more prepared to take their chances in Ireland than Ukraine.

It’s a completely different mindset, but still some people are convinced they’re only coming here to “take advantage of our generous welfare system”, as opposed to the idea that they wouldn’t come here at all if they actually had a choice in the matter, no different than the people they’d usually be complaining about who are “taking advantage of our generous welfare system” who those people are NOW complaining are being treated as second-class citizens who aren’t being treated with dignity.

There’s nothing to stop anyone complaining about people who they claim are being mistreated, from doing something to help those people, as opposed to just using those people to suggest our Government shouldn’t be helping refugees, while they’re doing nothing to help anyone else either.

I’m not talking btw about the people who do plenty to help other people, I’m talking about the people who do nothing, and complain about people “taking advantage of our generous welfare system”, and then use those people to argue against taking in more refugees who are also “only coming here to take advantage of our generous welfare system”. It’s nothing more than just using one group in society to argue that another group in society are a threat to them, when in reality neither group are a threat to anyone, and there is nothing stopping anyone from lobbying for more supports for the people they support, rather than accusing those same people of “taking advantage of our generous welfare system”.

Yes. it's a nice chunk of cash.

Mean winter (December to March) temperatures range from -4.8°С to 2°C. Ukraine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ukranian people, will they keep coming ? Let’s see..

better weather,

free accommodation, no limit on its availability.

free first world healthcare, no limit on its availability.

free cash, with no limit on its availability.

thousands of miles from Vladimir and his mob

Almost limitless opportunity

often more accessible benefits and opportunities then the citizens here and every NGO and some politicians espousing their plight and wellbeing.. daily. ‘Plotiticians’ whom never made so much as half the effort for citizens here….

Yes we are. Full capacity reached a month ago. You continue to encourage the refugees to come here. That is your perogative.

Facts: Mayor of Kiev has recalled his citizens.

Fact: limited number of properties available to rent on Daft. 771 total calculations.

If your retired pension fund lingered on this,you would have a different point of view. Sorry I'm in my early thirties and contributing to this state.

They are not fleeing from anything horrendous anymore. Did you miss one of my last posts?

The MAYOR of Kiev has recalled his citizens

Try Harder. If you were one of my employees I would sack you for being incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You are contributing to the state but what if anything is the state contributing to your wellbeing ? With the thousands you pay into the state kitty every year ?

Fully agree 👍

Fully agree.

Nothing I suppose. Crazy world.

So I assume everyone here now agrees Ukraine is safe enough to return to. The MAYOR of Kiev has recalled his citizens. There should be no issue of returning.

Yes we are. Full capacity reached a month ago. You continue to encourage the refugees to come here. That is your perogative. 

It is, just as it’s your prerogative to continue to claim the country is at “full capacity” when in reality there’s no such thing.

Facts: Mayor of Kiev has recalled his citizens.

Fact: limited number of properties available to rent on Daft. 771 total calculations.

If your retired pension fund lingered on this,you would have a different point of view. Sorry I'm in my early thirties and contributing to this state.

That’s you speaking on my behalf again, but no, I wouldn’t. I’d still have the same opinions as I do regardless of my arrangements for my retirement. There’s no need to apologise for being in your your early thirties and contributing to this State, I’m at least 10 years older than you and also contributing to this State. I wouldn’t argue that my lengthier tenure contributing to the State gives my opinion any more authority than yours though, as you appear to be attempting to do. I wouldn’t even attempt to argue my personal circumstances give my opinions any more authority than yours, because that’d be silly!

They are not fleeing from anything horrendous anymore. Did you miss one of my last posts?

The MAYOR of Kiev has recalled his citizens 

I didn’t miss any of your posts, your first post back on the thread was telling everyone that it’s safe to go home, they need to go home, you feel terrible for the newbies who are coming… it appears Ukrainians aren’t convinced, and they’re probably more attuned to what’s happening in their home country than you or I are!

Try Harder. If you were one of my employees I would sack you for being incompetent.

Dear God don’t flatter yourself. At least you can comfort yourself with the thought that you have a job in the morning, many Ukrainian refugees don’t even have that much!

• Advertisement

One eyed Jack. Or whatever you call yourself. Please make your point.

have meetings back tomorrow back to back. You know to pay your pension.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement