Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 European Athletics Championships, Munich

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The highest Ireland came in the rugby world cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sonia was suggesting that Anekele should be the only athlete to race the individual. Surely there is enough time for recovery between Monday and Friday? A race can remove the ole cobwebs.

Post edited by YFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Any link to the split times?

Can't find them anywhere.

AFAIK it was still the second fastest time from an Irish relay team. I think it was a case of the other teams being much stronger than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For some reason, the official website only posted the splits of the winners. Hopefully they become available at some point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Would love the tournament to end on a high from an Irish perspective tonight, maybe some outside chances of Sarah Lavin or Mark English getting on a podium? Obviously Lavin would have to qualify for the final first.

The men's 800 seems a real toss up though, so many guys with not too dissimilar PB's. I suppose given his 1500m strength you'd have to make Wightman the favourite, but after that there could be some real surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭waynescales1

12.79 for Lavin, surely enough for a small q.

Edit: Yep, PBs her way into the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jesus, the ad breaks on RTE would drive you mad.

Thankfully BBC give a few nods to the Irish competitors, I've all but given up on the Irish coverage.

Yes, taking two ad breaks like that in quick succession was not a good look. Seemed to be only five or six minutes between the two.

Bronze! Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Good man Mark English!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭4Ad

Brilliant by English...

Well done Mark. Following Garcia all the way was actually a great idea, it may have helped pull him to the bronze medal.

Another ad break! What are RTE playing at?

Enjoyed Mark’s demeanour this week. Looked focused, like he was there to do a job. Got his medal, fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Congrats to Mark English. He looked very comfortable and assured during that run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Superb run from Mark English, thought he might have boxed himself in but he got the tactics spot on. A second well-deserved medal to round off as positive a week as I can remember for Irish athletics in years.

Fantastic from Lavin to run a PB to make the final as well. Nearly the whole team seem to be on it this week, great to see.

Have been enjoying the non-stop athletics feed on the BBC iPlayer as well. British commentators but seems to be an intentionally unbiased world feed. No need to put up with adverts every 5 minutes on RTE or Gabby Logan eulogising about Dina or whatever other British athlete is flavour of the day on the main BBC coverage.

Mark said he was goosed..by God he didn't look it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

That was a pleasant surprise,good bronze

I never knew we had 2 Irish in the 10'000mts...

• Advertisement

Gidey still in this with a mile to go!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

6th is an excellent result!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Sixth for Gidey, hung in there for a long time. Great effort. PB for him as well, just under 28 minutes. Quite a back story those two Irish 10000m runners have.

What a strange finish to the race, letting Mezngi drift away like that. Obviously convinced they could all run him down, but only Crippa could. Mezngi looked utterly confused as to why he was leading and why nobody was attempting to follow him, I was actually a bit concerned he miscounted his laps.

Delighted for Crippa though, particularly with his sad family history. Orphaned at the age of 5 and subsequently adopted and raised in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sarah up now!!

• Advertisement

5th..brilliant.

5th isn't so bad, would've needed another PB of six hundredths of a second to medal.

Yet another top 6 finish for an Irish athlete, has to be some kind of EC record for us?

RTE and ads, fook off

Fifth - another really decent result, aided a bit by Sember having a blow out. She's not in the class of the top four, so that's as good as she could have hoped for really.

• Advertisement

She's actually had a fantastic championship. Those are two of her fastest runs ever.

Semi final PB and very close to equalling that tonight.

Interesting splits. Becker and Mawdsley actually ran faster than in the semi but Healy's slower leg than the semi cost us a lot of momentum. Also, Rhasidat says she really felt it in the last 200m, so she wasn't quite at her best.

2 great races to finish.

The joy in the German Ladies team was brilliant.

I'm gonna miss not having top class athletics on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Absolutely loved these champs, the excitement of having so many Irish athletes really in the mix across the board was just brilliant. Didn't see as much of it live as I'd have liked thanks to work but knowing there was some great stuff to catch up on each evening was great! I do laugh at a lot of the hilariously negative comments on here and Twitter; but can only assume these people only tune in occasionally.

I love what social media seems to be doing for athletics also. Seeing the athletes' own Instagrams and their personalities, as well as the camaraderie between them all regardless of discipline and country, can only promote the sport.

Mageean 🥈

English 🥉

Adeleke 5️⃣

Lavin 5️⃣

Marathon team 5️⃣

Olatunde 6️⃣

4x400m 6️⃣

Gidey 6️⃣

McCormack 7️⃣

Fay 8️⃣

Shanahan 8️⃣

Barr 9️⃣

Coscoran 9️⃣

Boyce 🔟

14 Irish top 10s, I doubt we've had a major championships like that before. Really enjoyed the event, it looked very well run and obviously the Irish interest kept it exciting all week. The absence of the Russians in any form was no harm either, being honest.

I actually don't mind the few negative comments because it shows that the event cut through beyond athletics followers to the wider population, the Europeans doesn't often do that - unfortunately that's always going to bring out a few idiots, but it will hopefully have gotten more people interested in following the team as well.

Post edited by Cosmo Kramer on

I knew I was going to leave someone out!

And I left out Coscoran (9th) too...

Updated now. 14 top 10s, 11 top 8s - even better.

Post edited by Cosmo Kramer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Great to see the idiots commenting, means the games have been noticed even with plenty of moneyball on, if only an oilman could come in and buy our team and spend billions buying the best blah blah blah . They can fook off back to their bar stools next week shouting for teams from a country they hate, i'll be down on the track helping kids progress in the sport.

Great games for us, prob more finalists than i can remember, English ran the perfect race, gave himself a chance but the spanaird was just a bit too good.

Lavin was dissapointed , made a bollix of the last when she was making ground up,she could smell a medal.

Efrem ran a great race, sub 28min 10k at 21 isn't bad , he can only get better and stronger. I'd say hiko is disspointed, he dropped off v quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Women's high jump was very disappointing, Mahuchikh didn't look to be on form at all and still won with 1.95. Topic was the only good thing about it, needed Lasistkene there. Levchenko seems to be gone backwards now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes that was a brilliant race!! Germans the hosts win the very final race and Team GB made a hames of it....i think they should concentrate more on hand over's other than hair extensions, false eyelashes and fingernails😑

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ontheboard

Don’t forget Coscoran!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Fantastic championships, watched as much of it as I could over the week. Was out and about a lot over the weekend so had follow on my phone (Sky Go app is very handy for this and holds up on mobile coverage for the most part). Really delighted for Ciara Mageean, easily one of the most likeable sportspersons around and for all the ups and downs she has gone through over the year the persistence has paid off. She was so unlucky with the Olympics last year when she picked up the calf injury in her final training session. It was thrilling watching her go after Muir when the afterburners switched on. That shot of the two of them lying on the ground on the finish line holding their heads in pain, smiling in triumph and holding each other's hand and congratulating each other had everything good about sport in it...definition of leaving it all out there against your rivals and yet when the race is done saying well done. Irish sports moment of the year for me...this was no test match or friendly.

Been a great championships for the Irish team en mass, the excellent performances highlighted by many in the thread above. Like Ciara someone who has many championships under his belt and finally another medal to take home. Hopefully them and the others, Lavin, Olatunde, Adeleke and the many more inspire the next generation coming up and that the current generation will continue to improve. Brilliant seeing the "new" Irish for want of a better phrase appearing in the senior ranks now. As our sports teams in the past benefited from the children of emmigrant Irish abroad, now we are starting to see the reverse of our sports benefiting from the presence children of those who immigrated to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Did anybody see the interview with Michelle Finn after the steeplechase final last night? She was so incredibly and unnecessarily hard on herself; it was kind of heartbreaking. Felt really bad for her. David Gillick was very respectful and tried to uplift her.

She had a terrible, injury-interrupted year and still managed to squeeze into the final. Sure, she wasn’t competitive, but making a continental final is a significant achievement in and of itself. Hopefully, she’ll put this disappointment behind her and go on to find better form, starting with the Euro cross-country championships in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Couldn't agree more. Really enjoyed them and will miss it this week, so many exciting races and positive Irish results. Delighted for our medallists. First time I really observed the difference psychology makes at this level - they both looked and ran like medallists, self belief is obviously a huge factor in winning. Sarah Lavin will be back, as of course will our delightful young sprinters. It was hard watching Michelle Finn being interviewed, so honest & raw, huge respect for her and hope she goes on from here. Rob Heffernan made the point that she should consider moving to the marathon and we could potentially have a strong women's marathon team. She's that type of runner, tough as nails, that would do well at the marathon. Gidey had some run too... one could go on and on, great week, loved it, my kids loved it, even my husband showed an interest - serious kudos to all the athletes and all involved for a great week's entertainment, super to see our wee nation have a pretty successful week at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Why have they started piggybacking other sports on athletics at European Championships? It kind of takes away from the event for me.

These other sports should stand on their own two feet. One evening I went on to the BBC cos there was no signal on RTE and they were showing beach volleyball or horse jumping or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's symbiotic in theory - people who wouldn't go a climbing competition or a cyclo-cross race might go because it's part of a grandiose city-wide multi-sports event. And then in the evening they go to the Athletics which they might otherwise have been only vaguely aware was on.

As mentioned a few times though, athletics is pulling out of the concept in 2026 so you will get your wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Why have athletics jumped on the back of the other sports? They were in Berlin last time when all the other sports were in Glasgow…

The answer is money of course and by all accounts the athletes, media and fans all enjoyed the multi sport angle so it’s a good thing IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 phelimcas

Very few issues of concern with the performances across the board.

Even those who were considered to have underperformed such as Sarah Healy have enough talent to have high hopes for the future. This is especially true when you look at how low things were for Ciara Mageen around the same age and she turned it around brilliantly.

There is also another generation coming through from the juniors such as Nick Griggs, Clan McPhillips and Dean Casey in the distance events plus developing field event athletes that give reasons to be hopeful.

PS does anyone agree that Hika Haso has great potential to run sub 2:08 in the marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’m a bit concerned about Sarah Healy honestly. She’s clearly talented and has the potential to be world class. However, she needs to address whatever psychological block is causing her to underperform in major championships. Easier said than done.

I was a little disappointed by Chris O’Donnell too. He should have made the 400m final. However, he’s talented, has a great attitude, and I feel like he will capture David Gillick’s NR in the coming years.

Not sure what’s going on with Phil Healy. She had a good indoor season, but never really got going outdoors. I hope 2023 is a better year for her.

There’s also a girl called Ruby Millet who is developing into a decent long jumper. I think she’s currently jumping in the 6.5 meter range. It would be cool to see Ireland produce a talent in this event.

Don’t really know anything about Hika Haso, so not qualified to make any comment there.

Advertisement