Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

This is just for fun. A hypothetical pack + subs if we were to go for an all out size approach next season...

1. Porter
    2. Sheehan
    3. Furlong
    4. Jenkins
    5. McCarthy
    6. Baird
    7. Ruddock
    8. Doris

16.Kelleher 17.Healy 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Ryan 20. Soroka 21. Conan

And it actually wouldn't lack much mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

You’re basing that off bogus stats

You’re not doing it intentionally but you’re still doing it. The stats on Leinster website are either out of date or wrong.

Hahaha so you can read people's minds over the internet, is that it? I didn't bass it off stats. How could I have when I literally don't know what the players are listed as because I didn't look on the Leinster website. How can I bass something on things I don't know?

I'd be interested to hear which players I picked you think shouldn't be there if we were to pick a pack on size.

• Advertisement

Pitch is looking well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Conan's probably bigger than Doris, isn't he?

Itxa seems to have a bee in his bonnet regarding McCarthy, though.

Conan's probably bigger than Doris

Wouldn't have thought there's much in it. Doris looks considerably bigger now than he did when he first broke through.

Doris I'd say is a more abrasive player though. Conan more of an edge forward/link man.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DelMcG

Anyone else finding their Lifestyle Sports orders of the new gear have been delayed or the stores not actually having any Leinster merch at all on the shelves?

Ordered the new jersey plus two kits for the little people last week, due for delivery on Friday but no sign. Also, down in my local Lifestyle at lunchtime & there isn't a stitch of Leinster gear on display. (Oddly a mate got the grey/turquoise training top delivered on Wednesday, two days early)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

10% off in case anyone is ordering some new kit online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Assuming we’re picking the biggest players surely James Ryan is bigger than McCarthy. Mop of hair aside I also think Soroka is bigger than Ruddock. And don’t quote Leinster website stats on Soroka - woefully out of date. And yes I was thinking Conan also.

Ryan is taller certainly, but McCarthy is very strongly built in the glutes/upper legs region. I can believe the 119 odd kilos stat - even if he is only about 6'6''.

I wouldn't be surprised if Healy was a kilo or two heavier than Porter now. The latter has trimmed down a lot in reconditioning himself for loosehead.

I don’t believe he is that weight. Maybe after a laid off season on a few Big Macs. Soroka is roughly the same height as him and in my opinion of a bigger build than him. There is no way McCarthy is two and half stone heavier and if he is it’s not muscle it’s carrying junk in his trunk.

We'll agree to disagree. I don't know what you're looking at, to be honest. McCarthy has very powerfully built legs, whereas Soroka's legs are on the thin side for a rugby player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Do you know something about alaalatoa that we don’t?

Frawley ahead of Ross Byrne is fanciful at best.

Osborne ahead of Ringrose (choo choo).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The fact that Frawley played 10 for Ireland and Ross Byrne wasn't even on the tour would make that idea a fairly realistic one, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Frawley played 10 only when Harry Byrne got injured at short notice. I don't think it makes any difference for leinster selections.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Harry Byrne and getting injured at short notice (as opposed to giving plenty of notice?) is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I'd agree it's a possibility. Frawley got injured a lot in contact over the last 2 seasons. It might have been a run of bad luck or he might be prone to injury. If the latter then he's probably not reliable at 12. He had great hands and would offer the playmaker 12, but needs to be robust. So they might be looking at 10 for the future. He can be protected to an extent at 10.

I wouldn't go as far as predicting it will happen, but it's certainly a decent possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ah ciarans injury issues were nasty facial hits, which dont really have anything to do with his robustness. Any player would have gone off with the hits he got. I recall remember Ringrose taking two head hits keeping him out for a period of time a couple of seasons ago, and no one would questions his robustness to play top level rugby (and Frawley's a bigger man than ringrose)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,646 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People aren't hyping McCarthy based on height and weight stats from the Leinster website, get a grip.

Ah there were shoulder injuries in there too. And at least one mystery injury in match warm-ups. It wasn't just the face injuries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The fact Frawley got moved from 10 to 12 at Leinster would suggest its not that likely also. Its a couple of midweek games on an end of season tour when the presumed incumbent was injured at the start of it.

I can't imagine the management are super comfortable with Ross Byrne as the 10 going forward, but I'm pretty sure they would be more comfortable with him right now than Frawley.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Regardless of where Leinster see Frawley, the door is open for someone else to step in. Sexton will only play a handful of matches so, the onus is on RB. He should be the 1st pretender.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Frawley wasn’t on the tour as a 10. He has played there once in 2 years for Leinster. He played there in NZ because there was no other real option. Ross Byrne has been Sextons undisputed back up since Carberry left. 2 average games against the Māori will have no impact on that. Except that Frawley may get a few more runs at 10 this years. Overtaking Ross Byrne is fanciful at best.

Frawley had to fill in at short notice for Harry Byrne in the 1st Māori game, but they could easily have called up Ross Byrne instead of McCloskey before the 2nd Māori game if they wanted to. Why would they invest valuable gametime at 10 in a player if they didn't think he had a future there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A part of me is wondering if Frawley is being considered as utility back covering a bunch of spots rather than as an outhalf.

Carbery aside irelands outhalf problem is leinster's out half problem. They both need a successor to Sexton for next year. I'll be disappointed leinster doesn't give frawley some good gametime at 10 this year. They have too many out halves but none have been able to claim the backup jersey.

I feel for Ross Byrne. He's doing the best job but it's been decided he's reached his potential and doesn't have the talent or temperament to take it to the next level. So we're hoping one of HB or CF can do it at leinster (or JC at munster) and Ireland level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't think its fair to say "it's been decided he's reached his potential and doesn't have the talent or temperament to take it to the next level".

I'm a big Ross Byrne fan and really want to see him thriving but he's been given plenty of opportunities in big games that he hasn't taken. Whether that was down to being lost in a collectively bad performance or being individually poor, he hasn't taken his chances across the board and himself taken it 'to the next level'. He has the platform, he has the opportunities, it's up to him to prove it but to date he hasn't consistently done it enough in clutch situations.

And maybe the problem is that he has had it too easy. With Sexton out of the picture and Harry Byrne being perennially injured, he hasn't had any pressure on his spot. Frawley pushing him at 10 could be great for both players.

Advertisement