Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Actually you've piqued my interest now: where did you see that job description?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Energy is in his remit. You know this. Another version of the grammar police.

Time wasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Nice little rant there yourself, but for all your talk about cherry picking on green policies I cannot recall you voicing any. Far as I can see your very much a bit of a hand waver away of any criticism of their policies.

It appears you do not believe any of the reasons I listed have anything to do with us potentially facing blackouts this Winter due to actions, (and failures to act), by Ryan and the Irish Green Party ?

Helen McEntee aka Minister of Prison Lunch Menus

Simon Coveney aka Minister for Mortar Ammo Cases

Charlie McConalogue aka Minister for Fish Farms

T.D`s are elected to represent their constituencies. Ministers are appointed by the head of state to act for the good of all, not just their own constituents..

• Advertisement

Lol. Energy security and availability is trivial like lunch trays.

Why would anyone be talking about energy. Its a topic you never hear about.

Lunch trays in prisons though. It's all over the news.

More time wasting, the ridiculous version.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think you have a very blind spot for the Greens and give them far more credit than they deserve. They are part of a coalition of three and have not had it all their own way. I certainly don't see them as the ruination of lives that some posters imagine, including you it seems.

I've already stated I am happy with our move away from fossil fuels and measures to improve energy efficiency but I would like the MoT to show real improvements in public transport, which is still atrocious nationwide. I don't care for their nutty wing and the inevitable doom-laden messages and threats but that can be ignored anyway.

As for winter power cuts I don't know if they will happen but I genuinely don't care whether they do. If we do get them, we'll adapt, but I won't waste energy brooding in the dark about the Greens nor the why of it. Either way we do need a public information programme to encourage people to be far more energy conscious and to learn the value of jumpers indoors!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Just to say there is a huge diff for me between the GREEN PARTY and GREEN policies

The green party are corrupt and terrible. They don't care about green policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

We are still here, not one country has disappeared under the waves. The irrational alarmism promulgated by the greens and media has no basis in science either.

The green policies are being dictated by Germany which controls the EU. The Irish establishment always kowtows to the EU and has done since the 1970s. Germany is where the Greens are strongest, and Green parties across Europe take their lead from there. FG are members of the European People's Party (EPP) as are the German CDU. Germany is also home to the Potsdam institute for climate, they are the principle organisation that generates alarm about the gulf stream. From the start media has sensationalised, this cover is from August 1986 Der Speigel (left wing bias). Around this time Chancellor Helmut Kohl played a role in starting this with a commission of enquiry, even UK prime-minister Margaret Thatcher towards the end of her reign expressed interest in the subject.

The Secret History of Climate Alarmism (2010)

Despite the fact that the Kyoto Protocol requires little of Germany and its EU partners​—or perhaps, more to the point, precisely because it requires so little of them—the EU has become the major promoter of climate alarmism and Kyoto-style solutions to the ostensible problem. From 2002 through 2009, the European Commission awarded nearly 300 million euros in support to European and international research projects on “climate change” and “climate change mitigation.” (The disgraced “climate scientists” of the University of East Anglia were beneficiaries of no less than 12 such grants.) The EU also provides regular operating subsidies to NGOs engaged in “climate activism.”

Whatever the Germans strategic intentions were, it has now bitten them hard, and being the pre-eminent country within the EU, a collapse in Germany also takes down the EU as it stands. Whether President Macron of France can take advantage of this is the question.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

I have no blind spot as far as the Irish Green Party and their supporters are concerned, and the only instance of them not getting their way I have seen i them having to accept the 25% agriculture cuts. Cuts which for people supposedly so concerned about global emissions is an oxymoron anyway.

I have no problem in moving away from fossil fuels, but where do you see the improvements in energy efficiency from this policy the greens have used intimidation and strong arm tactics to impose ? If anything renewables are the antonyms of efficiency.

You may not care about blackouts, but you would be in the same percentage of poll support for greens in that. It comes across as being from the "I`m alright Jack" school of thought. Much the same demographic that green votes come from in fact. While it may be fine with you, it would not be fine for our economy. Something even the IDA pointed out recently.

• Advertisement

I don`t believe that the timing of Mscron`s announcement of France`s future nuclear intentions was accidental. France had been getting a lot of flax from Germany on nuclear right up until Germany`s own strategy hit the skids.

If there is one thing that can be said about the French, it`s that they enjoy their revenge best when served cold.

My comment was in response to this

only a tiny percentage of the population voted for him.

To your point, what policies has ER overseen that benefit his constituency /constituents exclusively?

Can you provide us any details of this corruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

If Mr Ryan he has nothing to do with the roll why is he commenting on Energy ?

I apologise. I was at a Cabinet subcommittee. I will briefly add to what the Minister of State, Deputy Noonan, has said. We are trained on developing this strategy. We agree with the Opposition that it is central to the development of our energy future. There is real potential for large-scale offshore wind energy and other renewable sources, which can use electrolysis to create green hydrogen as the centre of our industrial and energy strategy. It is at an early stage for every country. Even other countries in Europe which are talking a lot about hydrogen are the start of their development paths for large-scale green hydrogen. It is likely to be initially centred around large industrial users, power generation and transport users rather than being distributed widely. In the development of our offshore wind energy plan, which will be State-led, we can make sure that we incorporate the hydrogen plan. The two go together.

The public consultation, which was started as part of the development of our hydrogen strategy, is critical. We believe that the Government is doing what the Bill is proposing. We look forward to coming back in six months, having delivered the sort of strategy that is being proposed.

I think you are just here to argue. Energy supply and availability are under the remit minister of Lettuce Eamon Ryan.

You know it, I know it and everyone else knows it. It makes no sense to argue otherwise.

As a government minister what has he, or indeed his party, with their cuts to Irish cattle numbers achieved that is beneficial to the Irish economy or global emissions?

FAO Dacor

'The Department has responsibilities in the areas of:

Climate

To develop a competitive energy supply industry

To ensure security and reliability of energy supply

To develop energy conservation and end-use efficiency.

Communications

Communications development – promotion of the provision and development of competitive high quality and world class services in the communications, electronic and mobile commerce sectors.

Business and technology – focusing on new business and technology applications and the development of policies, initiatives and legislation as appropriate.

Regulatory affairs – the development of effective policies for the regulation of the electronic communications sector and management of the radio frequency spectrum.

Postal services – the development of an effective policy for the Irish postal sector based on open market principles.

It is seen as a successor to the old Department of Posts and Telegraphs.

Natural Resources

The Petroleum Affairs Division aims to:

maximise the benefits to the State from exploration for and production of indigenous oil and gas resources;

ensure that activities are conducted safely and with due regard to their impact on the environment and other land/sea users.

The Exploration and Mining Division of the Department is charged with:

applying the Minerals Development Act to minerals exploration and development;

encouraging the early identification and responsible development by private investors of the Nation's minerals deposits in accordance with best international practice;

enhancing the attractiveness of Ireland for international and national minerals investment by active promotional measures.

The Geological Survey of Ireland is:

Ireland's National Earth Science Agency, and is responsible for providing geological advice and information"

Print it, read it, memorise it and don't ask again

I'm only joking. It's too many words.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Reading comprehension classes may be needed. That 1989 article said we needed to reverse the warming trend by 2000 or risk losing island nations. It didn't say nations would be submerged by 2000.

No scientific paper of note predicted that any nation would be unihabitable by 2022 due to rising seas.

It's a slow moving car crash where we're pretty much already committed to some damage but we are rapidly approaching the point where it's too late to avoid the worst consequences.

That's a libelous comment tbh. Are you accusing Eamon Ryan or any of the other senior Green party members of taking corrupt payments?

Do you have any evidence of this at all or would you like to withdraw that claim?

• Advertisement

Ryan is the Minister for the Environment, Climate and Communications

Environmental protection and climate action are under his remit as well as energy and natural resources. He needs to balance his responsibility for climate and the environment with overseeing the energy sector.

Granting oil or gas or LPG licences are not compatible with climate action in the long term. Ireland has a climate action plan. Ryan is working according to this plan.

Ireland has committed to reduce our emissions. Ryan is operating to help Ireland live up to our international obligations.

Do you support Ireland breaching internationally agreed commitments?

Didnt one of the "greens" have an oil company shares portfolio that he said he forgot about or something along those lines?

We are already breaching our EU.commitments on energy security to our own detriment, so what makes adhering to commitments that are not only detrimental to our economy but will not make one iota of difference to global emissions take precedence. Especially on a percentage for cattle number cuts that the greens came up with that they were mumbling about bringing down the government on if they did not get their way ?

How are all the major emitters doing on their commitments ?

Far as I recall there were quite a number of them that refused to give commitments COP26 citing their wish to keep their options open on power generation for the good of their economies

Gladly.

The green party opposing CETA then voting for CETA while in govt mysteriously! (dont tell me there were no pay offs) with their leader Eamon Ryan saying suddenly it's great. ( i don't have anything against CETA btw i don't think it gives oil companies any more power than they have but that is a separate issue. ). THEN individual members of the green party use public money to sue the govt that they are IN. With this CRACKPOT idea that the deal was unconstitional of course its just to garner to their supporters and has no chance and THEY KNOW and they waste more public money.

Eamon Ryan also gave his brothers a state contract without any tendering process. The company is called medmark.

MedMark is a gun for hire.

Their business is not a very palatable one.

Endless stories abound that teachers & SNAs with underlying illnesses, whose own doctors and in some cases, consultants have deemed them unfit to work in a school environment, are finding their healthcare experts over-ruled by Medmark to just ‘High Risk’ and told to present for work. Schools do not have the capacity to allow for the type of distancing or frequent washing required for these conditions forcing compromised staff into impossible situations.

Unions have had plenty of opportunity to challenge Medmark over the years which would have prevented this situation. Trade Unionists in Waterford in 2013 challenged a Medmark finding, forcing a teacher back to work. The employer – as had been the norm – threatened discipline, but the branch demanded that a higher expertise was required and further to the examination of an Occupational Health doctor, the teacher was not deemed fit and Medmark was over-ruled.

The behaviour of medmark during covid was disgusting.

They basically told teachers exposed to covid to come to work.

Bear in mind this is a company owned by Ryan's brother that was given this contract ..just given it ..no tendering process NOTHING while his brother was in govt.

They were putting kids at risk ON the public purse given to them by the directors brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Errr, Don't think a political party can be liabled. 🤔

Ciaran Cuffe 2003 had shares in 6 oil companies, but they were just resting in his account😅

Maybe medmark can declare his brother unfit for work sometime

seriously

It would only cost us a couple of million to hire them both. But worth it...

You'll need to do better than that. One 'green' maybe having some undisclosed oil shares at some point doesn't make the green party corrupt.

You'd have to show that this person was voting in support of that oil company. And then it would be bizarre to conflate this with 'the green party' because it implies that the greens are shills for the Oil industry

• Advertisement

Did you know that Chevron pay a dividend to its shareholders. This dividend is counted as income so.must be reported to revenue when completing end of year return.

So Cuffe is either a liar or a tax cheat?

One thing he isn't is a Green. Where is he now? Enjoying a cushy number in Europe where he has the brass neck to pontificate to others.

Advertisement