Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30k speed limits for all urban areas on the way

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes; again, for two years. 87 years ago. in a different jurisdiction.

recently, there was an attempt to bring in a law which made passing a cyclist with less than 1m or 1.5m (depending on the speed) room to spare. the AG advised, quite explicitly, that it was creating an unworkable burden of proof in that there was no way to actually measure the distance between car and cyclist, certainly not in a court of law. this is a similar concept, creating a law around a specific metric which is not measurable by the target audience.

the notion of introducing speed limits for bikes, when a) it's a solution in search of a problem, b) there's no way for most cyclists to know for certain what speed they're doing, and c) you can damn well be sure it wouldn't be enforced (in ireland, anyway) makes it a farcical suggestion.

should we also introduce speed limits for pedestrians? i was once bumped into by a jogger. he should have been limited to 10km/h, the bounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just because something isn't enforced doesn't in itself make it farcical, unless of course you want to include cyclists on footpaths, breaking red lights, breaking stop lines etc.

Anyways if the 30kph limit is being enforced to motorists it should be relatively easy to spot a cyclist over taking the traffic travelling in excess of the 30kph limit

There are solutions to the problems you (as a cyclist) just don't want to entertain them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not that i don't want to entertain the solutions, it's that i don't think the 'problem' really is a problem.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You'll have to rewrite parts of the road traffic act and that's not going to happen, not shlould it.

The rest is whataboutery, especially as on my way home most days I see dozens of cars on footpaths illegally, and dozens breaking lights and nothing is done. But that's another argument and not remotely relevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The problem isn't a problem.

There is no widespread public support for a default urban limit of 30 km/h. The public consultation for the Dublin City proposals for same demonstrated that and even the normally cloud dwelling officials in Dublin City Council decided to waste no further energy on it and consign it to the bin.

• Advertisement

As is usually the case, you're incorrect. The 30k limit is getting rolled out to more and more places around the country every year.

It's only a matter of time until it becomes the default limit for all cities and towns and hopefully, villages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There was no widespread public support for the workplace smoking ban, but very few people would want to go back on that now.

What problem would this solve?

we had a journey on friday which needed to be done in the car; bringing two rather unimpressed cats to the vet for their annual booster. from near DCU to raheny; a 17km round trip, and the appointment was at 2pm. our average speed was 22km/h, in non-rush hour traffic, and as far as i know, not a single road we drove on had a 30km/h limit, and some had a 60km/h limit; the irony was that by far the slowest section was in a 60km/h zone (we drove home past northside shopping centre/clonshaugh business park)

one thing i will repeatedly say to people who get annoyed at the notion of a 30km/h limit - you're already going slower than that. if the notion of having to drive slowly annoys you, get an e-bike or a moped. you'll go measurably faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Why would you drive at 30kph in top gear???

Lugging is bad for your engine. Drive in the correct gear for your speed

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a30431/lugging-bad-for-engine/

Absolute and utter nonsense. Fluid dynamics is way more complex than that especially when there are forks and bends in the pipes. Have you ever tried to balance a heating system?

• Advertisement

That's a poorly designed experiment. A single vehicle driving slower than the speed limit would likely dis improve traffic flow as it causes a bottleneck. If all cars drive at about 30kph that bottleneck isn't created and flow can potentially improve at junctions.

Every second you spend stationary at a junction means you have to drive much faster to make up that time later on. Reducing the time spent stationary could easily offset the slower top speed which the car is only achieving a small part of the time in urban areas

Buses may not benefit from the better flow rate as they're driving in less congested lanes. Maybe buses should be exempt from the 30kph limit. (Cat, there's the pigeons)

Lol. Those murderous cyclists must be stopped!

I think the lack of a speedometer in 1935 may have been the cause of making speedometers compulsory in 1937. The law was completely unenforceable without a speedometer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

You really like telling other people what to do, don’t you, It’s my car I’ll drive it as I like. And I’ll guarantee you I could drive circles around you in whatever eco friendly crate you inhabit.

I'd be curious to know how the cops detected law breakers then too seeing as radar guns weren't invented until the 1950's

Drive behind the car at 30mph if the car is getting farther away, they're speeding. At least that's how I would have done it

you were talking about driving at 30km/h in top gear. i suspect if you were driving in circles around anyone at 30km/h in top gear, it'd be fun to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You measure a distance of 146.7 yards then time the vehicles covering it, if they cover it in less than 10 seconds they are exceeding 30 mph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

More Dublin fanciful Dublin rules for non Dubliners to endure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"People will spend time looking at their speedomoters so much that the roads will become more dangerous."

"Cars physically are unable to drive at those speeds"

Do I get points for being the first to post this nonsense this time round?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

I would bet a weeks pay not a single DB or GAI route will get 1 minutes extra running time when the 30kph limit starts.

So expect even dropped departures, as we know the running time is insufficient to day never mind with these restrictions.

I would bet a weeks pay not a single DB or GAI route will get 1 minutes extra running time when the 30kph limit starts.

My take on it is that the proposal is to make roads safer and to enable more people to choose active travel where they may currently choose not to because of the fear from passing drivers.

So expect even dropped departures, as we know the running time is insufficient to day never mind with these restrictions.

Who said it would speed up bus times? However, given that in much of the city council area, busses won't exceed 30km/h anyway, it shoudl make little difference. What it might do is make it a less desirable choice to drive into the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

London buses actually have a device fitted that prevents bus drivers from exceeding the speed limit so say in a 30km zone sensors will read that and bus won't do more than 30km/ph.

https://londonroadsafetycouncil.org.uk/londons-buses-to-be-fitted-with-speed-limiting-technology/

It takes 5 minutes to update so if you go from a 30 zone to 50 zone bus will stay at 30km/ph for the next 5 mins even if the driver absolutely floors it. Only a matter of time before the NTA get this on DB/GAI buses likely on the new electric buses and no doubt won't amend running times to consider this. More grief for bus drivers I expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I have never found myself as a pedestrian endangered because cars were driving 50km/h. There is plenty of time for me to notice them and for them to notice me. Drivers who are not fit to drive, drugged up, drunk, speeding, joyriding or texting are a whole other issue not resolved by speed limits. And that's the problem. Want less accidents, take this scum off the road. I regularly witness joy riding and a staggering number of people are actively on their phone while driving - this is the danger.

But this is not a safety measure is it. These measures are all designed to kill traffic. Pedestrianizing areas, closing streets, adding cycle lanes, privatizing public transport, complicating it with transfers. Soon enough we will ban cars, actually we will ban cheap cars, and we can kiss this whole social class mobility good bye. Keep the poor away from jobs, education, services. Stay in your post code.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You haven't found yourself endangered by cars driving at 50km/h, congrats. Many other people have found themselves dead by encountering cars travelling that speed though.

There's quite clear science behind these measures, they're clearly safety measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

for anyone interested; speed limit consultation in Wicklow: https://www.wicklow.ie/Living/Services/Online-Consultation-Hub/County-Wicklow-Road-Traffic-Special-Speed-Limit-Bye-Laws-of-2022 closing date 25/11/22

just looking at my local area, there's an increase in the number of 30km/h roads, and they seem to be getting rid of the 40km/h limit they have in some places in favour of 30. A lot of built-up residential roads with schools, zebra crossings etc on them still have 50 limits though.

Why you don't drive recklessly or run out in front of traffic don't ya think. Shouldn't be punishing the many for the crimes of a few.

Clearly missed the point the OP quite rightly made which is would the timetables of buses be adjusted accordingly to take into consideration the reduced speed limit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

This has nothing to do with safety. In Ireland there are over 300,000,000 vehicle-kilometres between fatalities. https://etsc.eu/14th-annual-road-safety-performance-index-pin-report/

No-one is endangered strictly by "cars driving at 50km/h" as there is ALWAYS another cause. Either the driver of the car is doing something to create danger (like disobeying a traffic or directional control, failing to yield when required, failing to keep in lane etc) or another road user is doing something to create danger. And I am not aware of any area of life other than motoring where we punish (or propose to punish) the entire group as a collective (2.8 million in the case of drivers in Ireland) for the actions of a tiny minority, some of whom aren't even in the group (in the case of accidents caused by pedestrians/cyclists).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Over 30% of them were on the drink, 25% were on their phone. Sprinkle extra for other drugs and substance abuse, joy riding, reckless driving, speeding and running lights (quoted as the most common causes of road accidents)

To surmise I don't think most of the people who caused accidents gave a flying one about the speed sign. Only loser common Joe like myself will obey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is there another area of life where so many individuals have the power to cause injury, serious bodily harm and death through a moment's inattention?

97% of drivers speed according to RSA figures. 67% admit to using a mobile phone. You can't call law-breaking drivers a 'tiny minority'.

• Advertisement

There are plenty of endeavours where "a moment's inattention" could have dire consequences (sports shooters, airline pilots to name a few) but so far as my knowledge extends, people doing these things are regulated appropriately, not excessively or punitively.

As to your point about law-breaking drivers, the funny thing about all of this supposed "law-breaking" is that it having basically zero negative effects. I posted absolute road safety statistics above showing that road fatalities were so rare that they barely register by common metrics like fatalities per billion vehicle kilometres among others, but the relative data ranking Ireland against other countries show basically the same story:

So while you might be able to find a country where there is less "law breaking" (and you don't allude to any so this is just speculation) that country probably has a worse road safety record. So when I look at relative road safety as above or the absolute data provided in my last post, I have to ask where is the justification to wallpaper the country with ridiculously low 30kph like some are trying to do. Because from what I see in the data, the case for anything more than tweaks here and there doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Ah yes, there are similar amounts of airline pilots, sports shooters and drivers in the world. What an odd comparison.

Those fields are heavily regulated because there are so few of them. I can't imagine every Irish driver requiring a co-driver being a popular move, but if that's what you're suggesting...

I'm suggesting that these groups are regulated appropriately, not in a way that is stupid, disproportionate or excessive vis-a-vis what they're doing. I have two follow up questions:

1) Where in the road safety data I provided, is there a case to single out Irish motorists for stupid, excessive, punitive blanket speed limit reductions, such as the 30kph limits that are the topic of this thread?

2) You mentioned all the "law-breaking," can you show me a country where this does not happen, and (assuming it's one of the majority of countries to have such) why its road safety is worse than that of Ireland.

@SeanW: There are plenty of endeavours where "a moment's inattention" could have dire consequences (sports shooters, airline pilots to name a few) but so far as my knowledge extends, people doing these things are regulated appropriately, not excessively or punitively.

You seem to think that making our roads safe for everyone makes you a victim. Get over yourself. The ambition is to make them safe for everyone which they currently are not given the number of incidents.

In addition, believe it or not there is a climate crisis here now. The biggest contributors to this currently are transport and agriculture. One easy fix in terms of transport is encouraging people to use alternative methods of travel. One of those is to persuade parents that it is safe for little Johnny or Mary to either walk or cycle to school.

Now whilst you might see yourself as the victim, you're not. You're just another self-entitled driver who believes that because we did things one way in the past, we can keep doing them. I'm tired of reading the hostility towards change in the face of an obvious and present disaster because selfish muppets think they have a right to do something.

Punitive, me hole! 😒

@SeanW: As to your point about law-breaking drivers, the funny thing about all of this supposed "law-breaking" is that it having basically zero negative effects. I posted absolute road safety statistics above showing that road fatalities were so rare...

FFS, are fatalities your only metric of safety?

One reason why more people drive rather than use other methods of travel (aside from laziness) is the perception of safety - not necessarily that they will be killed but that they will be knocked down and injured.Any incidents (which should in theory should be fewer than currently) will be less severe because of the lower speed. The perception of safety will increase amongst people meaning that they will use alternative forms of transport meaning that those who need to drive have less congested roads to drive on.

1) Where in the road safety data I provided, is there a case to single out Irish motorists for stupid, excessive, punitive blanket speed limit reductions, such as the 30kph limits that are the topic of this thread?

There's the sense of victimhood again. As was posted by others earlier, roads are shared spaces.

They are also not speed limit reductions but a default limit being applied and any deviations from that need to be justified. If it can be justified then it gets a higher limit.

Anyhow, let's say this is passed and any roads that should allow higher speed limits require justification. What is the issue with this? Is your issue that you will be required to drive within a 30km/h limit on some roads or is it that the councils will need to justify the higher limits for some roads?

Are you under the belief that a road would not get a fair decision? How would the new process for deciding whether a road should be 30/50/60/80/100/whatever be different from the method used currently and in what way would the new process be stupid or excessive or punitive?

• Advertisement

So much to unpack here. First: "making our roads safe" is fine provided that the measures are reasonable and proportionate, which broad 30kph limits are not. I'm not sure how expecting rules to make sense makes me a "self entitled" "selfish muppet" driver with a victim complex or whatever other cheap insults you can think of.

As to the climate crisis, forcing everyone to crawl everywhere is going to cause more climate-killing carbon emissions in the short term, because driving at stupidly low speeds for no reason uses more fuel than driving at reasonable speeds. The climate argument is of limited value anyway since the government is going to ban cars with engines in the near future, and anyone who still drives will have to have a car that does not emit CO2. Even if the climate argument were relevant, the fact is that the Western world will not be a significant source in the future. Even now, China emits more CO2 than the United States, Western Europe and Japan combined, and their emissions are only going up as are those of India. Even if forcing motorists to crawl had a positive effect (it won't) it would make no difference in the broader picture.

If you have a problem with the modal share of students commuting to school, I would direct you to look at countries where education is properly planned such that any student who is too far from their designated school to walk is guaranteed a place on a school bus. Ireland's education system is, if I'm being generous, somewhat piecemeal, I did touch on this on other threads. A lot of times families have to find some random school that "has a place" for a child and then they have to make their own travel plans - this is not common in places where education is planned properly.

As to using fatalities as a metric, yes they're useful. Firstly because they are quantifiable and objective, rather than the airy-fairy "perception of safety" type claims in your post. Second, cyclist jihadis here have used fatalities as a metric, one of them hijacked every thread about cyclists behaviour with "but muh motorists kill 2 or 3 people every week" as if it were some kind of collaborative effort between all of Ireland's 2.8 million motorists. So yes, fatalities are a relevant metric because anti-motorist activists have invoked them explicitly.

As to my issue: it's very simple. I want speed limits to be reasonable and not unduly low or lowered without good reason. 30kph limits may be justified in some places, e.g. timed limits for schools around bell time, fixed 30kph limits on town centre main streets, residential estates, side streets. Elsewhere, not so much.

As I understand current rules, the default speed limit is 50kph in any kind of built up area and if there is to be something different, that has to be justified. IMO that seems fair: if you want everyone to crawl on some road, there has to be a reason. The change that is being suggested is that every road in any kind of built up area (even arterial roads far away from urban cores) would have its limit reduced to 30kph because that would be the new default limit. I don't foresee that many exceptions being given (as that would defeat the entire purpose) so yes, I would hold the view that the majority of roads "would not get a fair decision."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Consonata

In terms of "valid justification" this should offer basically all you need to know

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S000145751200276X

Impact risk of severe injury drops from 50% for a car moving 50km/hr, to just 10% for a car moving 30km/hr.

In otherwords 1 in 2 to 1 in 10 people.

Impact risk of death drops from 25% to below 5% from reducing cars moving from 50km/hr to 30km/hr

Many places in Dublin are built up areas. The N11 north of UCD is a "built up" area which routinely has cars flying through it at 80km/hr.

If we have it in our ability to reduce fatalities by motorists to 1/5th of current in Dublin, and serious injury down to 1/10th of current, I have to ask why shouldn't we? For an additional 10/15 minutes on your commute, the lives saved seems far preferable than your personal convenience travelling.

Actually, an inquiring mind might have some questions:

1) How often does this actually happen in Ireland?

2) Since collisions don't just happen, who is causing them?

Fortunately, we have numbers for both. Fatal incidents involving any kind of road user in Ireland occur so rarely that they can be expressed as a low single digit figure per billion vehicle kilometres driven. It was 3.3 per billion in recent years but I think has fallen further somewhat starting in 2019. And of those, vehicle-pedestrian collisions make up only a fraction, I think, around 1/5th. So, your chart refers to something that happens less than once every billion vehicle kilometers in this country.

As to the second question, accidents don't just happen, there is always a causal factor. Generally speaking, one road user involved must have acted in such an unreasonable manner that their actions caused the collision. Maybe the driver was too busy checking their Instagram followers to notice that they should have yielded, or maybe a pedestrian ran out into traffic randomly without looking.

When last the RSA published statistics, there were just over 2.8 million licensed drivers in this country, just over 2.5 Full Category B license holders and the balance in learner permits and other license categories (motorcycle, lorry etc). They had also done a study of causal factors in motorist-pedestrian incidents and found that the pedestrians actions were the root cause in 70% of them. Unfortunately, the RSA redid their website about a year ago and pulled down all these statistics, but they were quite informative.

Now, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I always believed that if someone did wrong, we punish them instead of collectively punishing an enormously large group of people that not only had nothing to do with it, but weren't involved in any way. Though perhaps I'm wrong and incidents so rare that they are statistical anomalies really are justification to waste everyone's time and cause 1/6th more carbon pollution as people have to crawl everywhere for no reason. Heck, maybe as Seth above claims, we should also punish all 2.8 million Irish motorists for accidents that didn't even happen because of the "perception of safety."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The irony of this poster moaning about "self entitled motorists" when he has openly (and proudly) admitted elsewhere on this site this week that he cycles on the bus lane of a major urban dual carriageway, blocking the progress of buses carrying 50+ people despite what appears in the video he posted to be a perfectly serviceable cycle lane alongside! Of course he's "entitled" to do this......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Well if you need to make roads safer for pedestrians and cyclists then may I suggest implementing jaywalking laws, and enforcing general road laws on cyclists, for if they need protection as you state, then it’s from themselves

20 mph = 32.2 km/h

These pernicious limits will not be permitted to expand the money making racket that are many arbitrary and groundless speed limits in Ireland.

The current situation of a 50 km/h urban default limit, with exceptions both upwards and downwards under bye-law is absolutely satisfactory.

Our road accident statistics simply do not demand a generalised and radical lowering of the default urban limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Speeding isn't dangerous, inattention is. Road acccident statistic from the UK have speeding as a principle cause of only a tiny fraction of accidents, around 3%, but it get about 90% of the attention. Using a mobile phone is far more dangerous, but Baldricks cunning plan is to drop speed limits as if speed is a problem, when it just isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

How many lives are lost on commute routes at commute times? Given fatalities in a year are only 131 (2021) for the entire country, your few minutes extra commute time on hundreds of thousands of people probably will achieve absolutely nothing, except reduce a lot of peoples useful lifespans when you add up these delays over a working life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s not about punishment. It’s about prevention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement