Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oleksandr Usyk v Anthony Joshua 2 - August 20th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MrWisdom

Congrats to Usyk. Brilliant fighter.

AJ clearly performed better than the 1st fight. AJ seemed to take Usyks shots easily last night. There were moments last night where a small window opened for AJ to cause more damage. Aj just wasn't willing to put his head into the fire and take that extra step towards Usyk to get off. He remained outside pawing with the jab when it appeared Usyk was tired and hurt.

Fury has show his is willing to walk towards his oponent to get off when neceasary. For that reason I think he beats Usyk.

Yes, Usyk has superb movement but small windows do open where the bigger man can step in and get off heavy shots

AJ's post fight comments were weird as hell. I turned it off cringing & rewatched it there online. Almost Wilder-esque oddness

I actually thought Usyk wasn't as good as the first fight last night. At one point he was standing and trading with AJ and it seemed like a silly tactic that might get him KOd.

I also thought it looked like he was feeling the pace more than the last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,408 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hopefully no more big fights in Saudi. More atmosphere at a funeral.

Wishful thinking I know

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I thought he was better. Faster, busier, and his movement more unpredictable for AJ. I also thought Usyk’s punch mechanics and variation were better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think AJ applied his strengths more and had a better gameplan this time. I also think Usyk didn't look just as sharp this time out. The gap was closed slightly but there's still a gap there in skill.

Can anyone tell me what AJ's lowest weigh in was and how that performance went? I can't help but feel he's still too big and too stiff with muscle. When he had Usyk in trouble he was just a little bit too slow/gassed to finish the job. Also seemed to me at certain points he was really pushing his punches rather than throwing them clean with a bit of snap.

All credit to Usyk. Of all his many attributes, his heart and toughness are really something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Did you know that Tyson lost to a beefed up cruiserweight

The talent pool when Tyson was loading up early wins was attrocious. Then he lost to BUSTER DOUGLAS

Fury's prime is nearly every time he gets into the ring. And he is UNBEATEN and most likely to retire unbeaten. He could go 5 more years yet

He was, or at least looked very tight and lean last night. Didn’t look near as bulky as previous bouts…

One thing for sure if Fury and Usyk meet, pre fight antics from Fury will roll off Usyk like water off a duck’s back. Usyk is just so assured and cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Itll be a close fight , nearly all are at this level. Anyone who thinks Usyk will actually win it hasnt a clue about Fury.

No idea what this is meant to mean. You seem to be quoting me to cement exactly what I am saying.

It will be a close fight. Anyone picking “either” man to win handily is missing the capabilities of “both” men.

I have a clue about Fury and Usyk. Hence my prediction based off this knowledge.

I’ll lean with Usyk in a very close win.

whomever leans with Fury, great.

Anyone leaning heavily for either man I feel is off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

OK so I'm hoping for Fury vs Usyk & AJ vs Wilder, these need to happen.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Usyk is much more skilful and far busier than Fury. Usyk was winning World and Olympic golds when Fury was still punching himself in the face. Usyk throwing about 800 punches in a fight, fury throwing quarter of that. However, Fury is too big and too good at spoiling. He'd wrap Usyk up and lie on top of him until he was worn out, then knock him over. I don't think it'd be a clean KO because Usyk has a great chin. Just exhaustion. It would be a horrible fight to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

But he has still had his big ‘paydays’ at least. Yes he’d want more but it’s not to say he hasn’t already made unlimited money

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Fury has had problems with smaller fighters in the past though. Steve Cunningham floored him. In saying that I would still fancy Fury to win but I don't think its as clear cut as some make out.

Fury already on and says he’ll relieve the Ukrainian dosser of the belts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Think you make a good point but Wilder is surely in the same position. All that bronze bomber nonsense and Fury made him look like he was declined from the power rangers

Fury is a very different fighter these days when on his game. I think the prefight would be more entertaining than the event itself. I think the two lads would be quite friendly and funny in the buildup. If Fury fought at distance and as clean as Joshua then Usyk has a great chance. Fury would be grabbing and spoiling away. I’d say KO 8

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The High paid PR team trying to come up excuses for his meltdown.

Joshua should just embrace his heel persona, heels make money.

I re-watched the fight and had it 7-5 to Usyk.

I honestly don't think Usyk was as slick this time and I think Joshua was better defensively and did lots of good bodywork.

I think the biggest question should Usyk and Fury fight is can Fury use his size and weight against Usyk, if he can pin Usyk down, and how effectively will Usyk deal with it?

Usyk has physical inside strength, but more importantly, a natural rhythm and coordination to be able to deal with and manipulate/manoeuvre a physical threat.

I wouldn’t be so sure that Fury gets all the benefits should he get up close vs Usyk.

Mid range, Usyk will find it difficult to tag Fury’s head. But he can score points to the body, and the odd stretched head extension/shots.

Fury has the reach and length to keep it mid to long, and needs to be sharp with his shots. Anything not sharp likely falls short or is blocked.

I see Usyk using constant feints and all around movement and angles to do his best work.

I reckon Fury stalks and pushes Usyk around in doing his best work.

One thing from last night was AJ seemed to control the ring more, as in he was manoeuvring Usyk around most the night.

• Advertisement

People just accept that this walshb character is an "expert"

Mmmmm not so sure....he is alwasys spoofing every time i come in here and making outrageous statements based on his biases

Not an expert, a pro..

yes, Usyk-Fury could be a very close fight. So outrageous that!!!!

Let’s see your analysis, or are you just trolling?

50K posts.....I think you are the troll

I dont need engage with you

Good luck

Well then stop engaging me:

Coming on here baiting, and when pulled up on it you mention 50 k posts and now you want to run away.

D1ck move. You made a claim about me as spoofer who makes outrageous claims based on biases, and think this is ok, and you don’t have to engage on it? Just claim it and eff off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Would anyone have a link to the full fight as we missed it?

That is the thing. Fury sometimes fights a bit like Usyk - not the same brilliant footwork or punch accuracy but he feints and picks his shots. Then he turns it around and bullies, rag dolls, spoils and he has shown more power working with Sugarhill. Usyk was strong and didn’t allow a very strong man in Joshua to bully him much but then Joshua didn’t try that much he was happy to follow a lot, less so than the first fight but plenty. Usyk won’t own centre ring as much in that fight.

Usyk’s movement and tidiness will allow him to get plenty of shots off and Fury will need to be fit because Usyk won’t wait on him and try to react he will dictate if allowed to. I think your point about the head is good but Fury will be vulnerable to the overhand right, left hook and uppercut to the chin and Usyk throws them fantastically, especially that left hook.

Joshua last night had obviously worked for months on the jab, hitting the body and at some time get the hammer fist in. Those were going to give him some opportunity but they wouldn’t be enough to win the fight. His movement was very learned and practiced but not natural. Fury will be much more at home with his own tactics.

Another thing from last night is that Usyk himself was feeling the pace much more this time. He was well out of puff in the corner for the last few rounds which wasnt the case last time out. He was easier for Joshua to hit too and although he scored more points he didn’t really hurt Joshua or put him away like last time. I think Fury may have timed it right.

If Usyk were to beat Fury then he overtakes Holyfield for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭geotrig

Agree with jacdaniel here, don't think he (usyk)was as slick as the 1st fight and his conditioning was a bit off if you as me,understandable from the reported condition he was in in Ukraine,now obviously it was good enough in hindsight . Did feel his variations were more varied, and good overall but was somewhat sloppy at times, never really connected much with big hits which I think encouraged Aj a bit ,Usyk did look more vulnerable and gassed a bit late on before rallying back ,still dodged most of Ajs punches when he looked in trouble in 9 which I think was nearly more fatigue at that stage. He never really got controlled of the ring like in the 1st,The only thing it really does emphasize is how bloody dominant he was in the 1st.

Usky / fury very hard to call and to me depends s how much fury can catch him to lean lean on, but I'd expect usyk to be in better condition and not so sloppy

Aj' is going to box mostly nobodies for at least 2-33 fights if you ask me now so no chance of wilder

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think both things are true

Bellew put to much into the ealry rounds simply because he had to, but he was also winning the fight on the cards when he was stopped,

2 of the 3 judges had him in front and 1 had it a draw,

But as u said he was absolutely nackered and never close to, stopping Usyk so it was just a matter of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bellew was never winning that though it’s a bit like a 400m runner leading the 800m half way round, he will get picked off soon enough !

Advertisement