Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

I'd more suspect that the murder was an accident, which happened during collusion between MF/CF/AL/AGS which went awry.

On the gentle end that AL was growing weed and selling with protection from AGS. AGS member goes too far with SDP in quietening complaints and AGS have MF/CF due to CF previous infringements (assault(s)).

On the extreme end that AGS/AL ran a import/export drug ring with packages available for collection in MF's shop. AL supplies as well as class A packages dropped from offshore yachts.

The first is easily possible, the second is a bit more fanciful but a lot of the elements we already know to be true.

It's interesting that very early doors AGS wanted to blackmail MF into fingering IB. It's too early to really know for sure who the killer is. Yet Dwyer is happy to blackmail someone. I believe they wanted to protect someone or at minimum stifle the investigation into not finding the real killer was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is a huge difference between AGS turning a blind eye or even giving some sort of protection to a local weed seller and covering up the brutal murder of a woman.

Your second theory is off the charts stuff.

What are these elements of it that you claim are already true ?

That Farrell worked in a shop?

That yachts sail off the Cork coast?

That a miniscule percentage of those yachts may be used for drug smuggling?

all that is old hat nonsense, all been done before several times. bit late "getting to know ib"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Again I repeat I don't think they willingly covered anything up. Rather were happy to pin the crime on a local stooge and act unlawfully very very early doors. Suggests they were covering up for someone unknown reason.

• Advertisement

True.people who do not understand forensic think it is important what you sift the ash with.it's what you find that is important. A spoon they used. what do they use in a fingertip search

it is nonsese and desperation to make fun of gilligan and the forensic people as if they were to cover up for some alleged cop in the arse hole of ireland. Dr Jim Donovan was on the doc too. This is the man the general blew up twice . i don't know if he was at the scene but he was the senior forensic scientist at AGS.To say a man of that calibre would be involved in a cover up is ludicrous. Dr Donovan supplied the forensic evidence that convicted Mountbatten's killer. i am sure he would be well able to identify any forensic found re Sophie

just desperation to make excuses for bailey and when there is no point to argue then make fun

something i had not read before:

"Jim Clemente, former FBI profiler with the Behavior Analysis Unit, has theorized that this was a fantasy killing on the part of the perpetrator. He felt that the killer was a narcissist with a huge ego thinking that when he went to Sophie’s house that she would be open to his fantasy because in his mind everybody wanted him. When in reality that was not the case, sending the murderer into a rage. The murderer was impulsive and did not plan on killing Sophie and used the weapons that were convenient to him. Afterward focusing on cleaning himself up and developing a cover story. He stated during the Crime Analyst Podcast that this murder was a targeted fantasy killing. An unorganized killer went into a murderous rage ending in a frenzied attack that took Sophie’s life."

Podcast with Jim Clemente,

https://audioboom.com/posts/7946677-the-crime-analyst-ep-40-sophie-toscan-du-plantier-s-murder-with-jim-clemente-part-3

Know any narcissist with a huge ego?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He is not a forensics analyst though is he. Collection of forensics and analysis of what is found are different disciplines.

How does he establish they are coat buttons, and from what kind of coat?

I can very easily imagine him finding 'clothing buttons' or 'buttons that may have come from a coat' and this somehow becoming 'buttons from a coat' if not challenged.

As for the profiler...

An unorganized killer who left zero forensics behind in a frenzied rage attack?

And what % of the population would the profiler reckon fits his description of a fantasist / narcissist / huge ego?

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Coat buttons and burning a coat or any other material doesn't prove murder in a court of law. Same goes for chopping of trees or killing turkeys.

It is totally irrelevant what Bailey burnt and why, or whether he needed a Christmas tree or wanted to eat a turkey. His DNA, his fingerprints were nowhere on the crime scene or on the victim nor has anybody seen him there that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The narcissist with the big ego could easily have been that Guard from Bantry. I also don't think that Bailey's motive would have been sexual.

Also, any professional killer could have had the experience to make the murder look like a narcissist in an unplanned rage did it.

If the killing would have had all the trade marks of a professional then there would have been the problem of getting away with it and the police automatically focusing on a wider, possibly more international search.

But yet they looked locally and found somebody locally to pin it on.

Anybody professional wouldn't have needed an awfully long time to understand that the local Guards weren't the smartes and sharpest tools in the shed.

The FBI profiler could only profile on the facts and evidence he received, - and who was collecting the evidence from the crime scene? The "competent" Guards.

Also how many killers does the FBI know or have profiled, who were able to hike for one hour in darkness to kill somebody, not leaving any DNA, any fingerprints at the scene, then hike back, and that under the influence of a lots of alcohol, clean themselves up and act totally normal the next day. I'd say the FBI would need to explain that one a bit closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Sunrise was 9.40 GMT in Cork on that date. Might indicate that it happened before this?

Does anyone know if the water around kilfeada bridge was ever searched for the axe?

Sunrise 8:40, first light would be about 8 am.

there were no lights on inside or outside Sophie’s house when the body was found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭oceanman

exactly....there is absolutely noting to place bailey at the scene of the crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭tibruit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not in south west Cork a few days from the winter solstice.

Gets bring closer to 9am

Irregardless if Sophie was up about in the house anytime before 9am it's very likely lights would be on.

i stand corrected if i am wrong. i am sure i've seen it that lights were on. I cannot remember where.Also it was in another thread and used as argument that sophie was up early and that the murder happened more towards morning. Michael Sheridan says the lights were off in Death in December. what's your source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Was it not suggested that the blood on the back door may have been from murderer either going to the house to close the door, turn off lights or remove something incriminating or some combination of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭chicorytip

If they were the type of hardened plastic buttons most commonly found on garments like overcoats they would not have disintegrated, regardless of the ferocity of the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭chicorytip

"Attacking him & scratching his face". Poor little Ian.

The thing about men who abuse women is that they are cowards. They will never attempt to abuse another man in a similar manner. The abuse will always take place in a private domestic setting and never in a public setting in the company of others. It's the street angel / house devil scenario. The public persona is at odds with the private persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Erm...... Like I said

Were they brass buttons or steel buttons, or some other none combustible material buttons...???

C'mon, read the posts guys...

You said the lights were on, quoting no source, then you posted M.S saying the lights were off.

Have you got any source for this statement?

you said the lights were off quoting no source. Have you got any source for this statement? there were no lights on inside or outside Sophie’s house when the body was found.

Most likely we will never have the answer on whether the lights were on, or the buttons among the burnt chars of whatever was left of that fire behind the studio and the expensive bottle of French wine somewhere in the green fields.

Also the Guards haven't come up with anything regarding this trip to Paris.

So I gather, we're more likely to get a death bed confession, in the best case scenario.

I also think Bailey is getting more senile and old every day. I don't see anything reasonable coming from him, - no legal challenges in the EU supreme court, nothing that likes.

I'd say this is all at a dead end.

Alfie is dead, and so are many others. Where does Marie Farrell live these days, - not that it matters, just out of curiosity? Same as Shirley? Did she move to the UK for good? I think so.

And the investigating cops are also either dead or in retirement, - voices on the Bandon tapes were never identified?

With all this incompetence involved, there won't be anything other than speculation and good stories for long evenings in the pub if the GAA or horse racing ever get boring.

There WERE buttons in the fire remains. "Buttons.Coat buttons" Gilligan says. I watched it again. i believe the forensic people under Dr Jim Donovan, who put away mounbatten's killer, know what a coat button is.

Michael Sheridan says the lights were off in Death in December. Death in December is a rubbish book and not objective. He calls chapter one the facts and proceeds to say what sophie did on arrival. he was there i suppose

he also writes At 11.25pm Sophie’s best friend, Agnes Thomas, phoned from Paris and they talked for about twenty minutes. Shortly afterwards, exhausted from her journey and feeling the effects of last night’s party, Sophie switched off the downstairslights and headed up the wooden stairs to bed.

I pay no attention to anyone who writes that as fact

But he also claims

Paris Match reported Superintendent JP Twomey as saying In the house, the lights were off. We found no trace of a struggle, nothing disturbed. The door was locked, it would be impossible for anyone to re-enter as the keys were on the inside of the door … She had suffered no sexual assault.’

So, it's Sheridan quoting Paris Match quoting Superintendent JP Twomey.

on another closed thread there is mention they were off but no source

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

So if lights were off (not turned off by the killer) then it probably happened after 8 am?

But still it doesn't prove who did it in a court of law.

Even if Bailey was burning a coat behind the studio, and the buttons were the only thing left, it still doesn't prove he did it.

Same goes for the scratches on his hands. If his DNA isn't on the scene of the crime, he couldn't have gotten the scratches there as well.

It's neither a crime to burn a coat or to have scratches, if they can't be linked to the scene of the crime.

• Advertisement

A newspaper is quoting an Uncle of Sophie as saying that he accepts that the review may clear as main suspect IB! Is there something to this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement