Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m of the view that we aren’t in transition at the moment, but it is coming in the next couple of years. I’d imagine that the most active window we’ll have in terms of clearing out and replacing older players will be around 2024, because everything we know about Klopp suggests he wants a solid succession plan in place and he’s not going to leave a new manager (possibly our Pep) with either a huge transition to undertake or the beginnings of one which could lead to an undercooked squad being fed newer ideas, and struggling to cope with so much change.

We have Klopp until 2026, so 2024 is pretty realistic to bring in three or four top players while potentially saying goodbye to the likes of Salah, Thiago and Henderson. VVD might have longer left in him if he stays fit, and Robbo, Fabinho and Alisson also shouldn’t be too far off their best by then either, again assuming they stay healthy.

What we do need is two new midfielders of a high standard within the next two windows, ideally one by the end of this month but it’s looking increasingly unlikely by the day. But I don’t believe we’re in the process of a proper transition at the minute, our style of play so far this season doesn’t suggest any radical changes nor does our transfer activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The last line of this is very pertinent. Every player in the squad doesn't have to be a star, need some 7/10 lads who are fit every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Any genuine sources reporting the Caicedo interest???

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

The thing is Every season a team does not lose one of best strikers In world football in Mane and spent 80m on totally different type of striker that effectively is massive departure from the traditional front 3 klopp usually plays. i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the transitional point. The fact Edwards has also departed is also a huge change in the background staff.

I do agree with you however that midfield situation and how it's being dealt with could really cause us issues this season. It may not have been feasible but I'd have rather kept mane for another season and dedicated our budget to a quality midfielder. Our net spend it low ,we have to funds in place to improve but like you il not optimistic and it's just crazy already we have heavily reliant on Milner in our first 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I don't understand the negativity around this team. And to be fair, 90% of the negativite posts come from the same few posters that are just miserable posters. Rarely a positive post during the best 5 year run in 30 year years. Some lads worried about top 4, Spurs and Arsenal. Their squads are paper thin compared to ours but they're now stronger apparently, after proving nothing.

From the start of last season to this one, we've lost Mane, Origi, Minamino, Neco Williams and added Diaz, Nunez, Carvalho and Ramsey. Yes some players are older, but starting last season, VVD, Konate, Gomez and Elliott where all unknowns and/or rusty coming back from injury. I think the new guys are great and VVD is close to his best. This team excels when they're playing games every few days and I expect us to hit our grove in the next few weeks and go unbeaten (mostly wins) for months.

Look at City's bench last weak and look at it today, it's weak. Let's see how they're going in April. But I know we'll be contending for multiple trophies again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We have 10 players out injured

City had 1 out injured, Laporte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

There's some amount of continual misery in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Damien360

I don’t think there is enough middle ground between the “all is great” people and the “we are doomed” people. Both are at the extremes and both types have a very strong voice in here.

• Advertisement

It's great to hear from both sides. Allows people to draw some balanced views of their own. I'm sure there's very polarised echo chambers on here that aren't half as interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Maybe your just looking for likes and thumbs up with this post but bar the season where we have awful injuries in defence, this team has been almost universally praised for winning every trophy possible.

Unfortunately we have conceded first in last 6 prem games(it's 8 I think if you include CL games) . The injury list is mounting and we've played a staggering amount of games that seemed to have impacted the intensity . These are actually facts so not opinions or moaning .However, VVD for me if nowhere near his best against Madrid, Fulham and Palace so definitely disagree that he's looking in form.

Also Odd you find our new signings great when Ramsey is injured, Carvalho has played 40mins and Nunez has had a mixed start. Diaz has been great In fairness but needs much better end product to replace Mane so for me our squad is actually older and weaker this season than it was last year. I really hoping we would address our aging midfield in this window but it looks like that won't happen but Hopefully the season can get motoring tomorrow with a much needed win against United tomorrow.

The German reporter that said Naby wants to leave is the same reporter that first broke the story of Mane leaving.

He is now reporting that Naby sees the Man U game as the make or break

Melissa Reddy said on Sky that her colleague at Sky Germany had close connections with Nabys agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Good to see Klopp also putting a bit of pressure on the Premier League if the game tomorrow is postponed saying Liverpool should be awarded the victory as Liverpool have nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So if he starts tomorrow he wants to stay and if he doesn't then he wants to leave. Who puts such importance of their future career on one match? If I was klopp I wouldn't be starting him anyway

Fab starts & Hendo starts.

That leaves one spot if Klopp goes for a midfield 3 and Elliott deserves that spot on his form this season.

The agent seems to be pulling strings here he dropped that Mane had agreed terms with Munich just before the Champions League final and now he has dropped that Naby isn't happy and want to leave before one of Liverpool's biggest games of the season against Man U and a week before the transfer window closes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If that's the talk from nabby leaked then he will be shown the door ..ya don't dictate to klopp.

I'd take the Naby talk with a big dollop of salt. Agents are vile and most reporters are chancers. Sprout enough and something is about to stick.

I'd go with Fab, Henderson and Elliott with Naby coming on at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rodrigo has been an inspiration for Leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Think Newcastle will get something out of the game, they are creating chances.

• Advertisement

AlmirON:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

..😎

Newcastle all over City. Deserved equalizer.

3-1:)

Seems like the weekend for an upset..... making me nervous for tomorrow

We've already had 2 weekends of upsets. Surely we're due to upset someone else now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Did nobody learn from the last day of the season not to write City off when they're 2 down?

Jesus, City are just lethal

That didn't last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And what some randomners say on the Internet is not going to change any city result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

City have some ability to up the tempo of a game to unbelievable levels. United under Fergie used to be a bit like that and I used to hate them for it but I don't think they were a patch on what City can do now...

That’s the deficit halved for now at least. Vital that we do our job tomorrow night though and make them pay the price.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

City are also allowed a **** tonne of leeway from refs given how much the game has moved on. Hard to compare eras, but the city team would be stopped cynically early on and that defence would've been minced by some of Wenger's early arsenal, Fergies and Jose's first Chelsea team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

The title race is back on lads!!! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Those are class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Thanks Eddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Man City down to 2 fit CB's now as well, depending on the injury to Ake. He was replaced after 21 minutes and Laporte is due back from a knee injury sometime in September. We are heading into a busy period as well from next weekend, where it will be 2 games a week for the foreseeable future until the World Cup as well. We will have to see how a injury prone player comes back into the intense part of the season without a pre-season.

I am surprised City did not strengthen their CB's this transfer window. I mean they did make a gazillion pounds and were so smart in the transfer window so you have to wonder what is happening. They have 22 players in their squad at the moment, and this includes 2 reserve keepers and 2 players from the academy. Even if they sign 5 players between now and the end of the window, how will those players adapt to the City system? I mean it has taken Grealish more than a year to adapt and he is still stuttering, how will a player adapt coming in with 3 weeks gone of the season already?

We have 27 players in our squad at the moment, this includes 2 reserve keepers and 4 players under 21 years old (Van den Berg, 20, Ramsay, 19, Elliott, 19 and Carvalho, 19). If they start getting injuries they could be in a sticky position this season. We are having ours at the moment so they will need to make hay while the sun shines.

That said tomorrow night is very important. We need to win to put the pressure back on everyone else and remind them we have not gone away.

• Advertisement

They had to ditch the Hamann can because it was twice as bitter as the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Apologies if such discussion isn't allowed here but the ticket thread is dead.

I'm wondering where to go for Liverpool tickets. Most Irish sites I visited are €250+ per ticket with some hospitality shite added on. Can anyone point me in the right direction for better priced tickets? I'm happy to pay over the odds to s certain extent.

Gini's luck just got worse he broke his leg in training today so he will more than likely miss the World Cup the only reason he moved to Roma to get regular game time to be picked for the Dutch national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The poor fecker has had an awful time 9f it since he left.

Nothing new really but he generally doesn't vent his frustrations about transfers.

No football luck at all however hard to feel sorry for a lad on more than 300k a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He's not a good finisher. He'll score plenty of goals but miss plenty of decent chances as well and he's not going to improve in that respect. He's a fully formed player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He’s just turned 23 a couple weeks ago. Of course he’s not a fully formed player. Plenty of players - especially of that type - kick on in their mid 20s and improve their finishing (or perhaps moreso develop their confidence and composure under pressure). At Darwin’s age, Drogba had never scored more than 7 goals in a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Salah used to miss buckets of chances in games as well. He turned out alright given that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

He didn't really vent his frustration either if you read the quotes,

"The Liverpool boss said: "When [every midfielder is] fit, 100% [we have enough numbers], but even then we always look to strengthen, but we have to and we always did [make sure] that it must be the right player and if the right player is not available at this moment then we tend to deal with what we have rather than sign a player who is not 100% right.

"This situation did not change. Now we have more injuries than we would have imagined and it would be cool to have another midfielder in, of course. But now we have a situation that when the boys come back and stuff like these it changes constantly.

"Then there is also another fact that I am not in charge of what we can spend. That's the situation. We get told things and then we deal with it. That is always the same, it didn't change. You could say that is why we are here with a good understanding and a bad understanding.

"I always have to accept that and always did. That is it. It makes no sense to worry about something you cannot change. That is a waste of energy, a waste of positivity. I love this group, really I do, and not because they are so good looking, no, it's because they are incredible characters and they showed it again on Monday. Now let's go and don't worry constantly about these kinds of things, the facts are the facts, let's accept them and go from there.""

Same as always, we wait for the right player and don't spend just to spend. We know the situation with the finances, we are not able to spend like City or PSG. Maybe if we could throw £150m at Dortmund we could tempt them to get the player we want, but seeing as we cannot do that we will need to wait until we can afford the right players we want. That is how we have been able to compete with City while the likes of Chelsea and United, who are much wealthier than we are, have been below us.

The headline will get the #FSGOUT crowd frothing at the mouth but for me it reads the same as the past few years. We will wait for the right players before we buy and we will need to be smart about it as we do not have the funds of other clubs. We have a net spend of 237m euro the past 5 years, but that does not tell the whole picture as one player in or out can skew the picture. But we are spending on the players we deem important.

You also have to look at wages when factoring in transfer spend as that is just as big of an indication of where you should finish compared to the others. We are way ahead of most and just behind the highest spenders in the league in terms of wages. I seem to remember before 2019-20 fans were wringing their hands that we were throwing away our chance to win the league as we had come so close the year before and we didn't spend anything going into the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

• Advertisement
Advertisement