Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Football 2022

Comments

That sounds good. Another website only had one bar each advertised, Fitzsimmons and Buskers. Those extra options are more appealing so I think I'll head to the horse show house.

Was going to jump on the Huskers wagon anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Also I notice they picked some of Dublin’s pricest pubs too.

Think I’ll be giving them a miss. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭boccy23

Remember too that there will be drink available in the stadium. The US visitors for the ND/Navy game were so surprised at this. In the US, all college games are dry in the stadium, hence the nature of the tailgates as they will have 4+ hours after without booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

This was part of a wider survey Nebraska undertook for their home stadium, Memorial Stadium.

Vast majority are positive / neutral about keeping the stadium alcohol free. Interestingly, the younger cohort say they would attend more if they sold booze at the games. ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not all college games, in north Texas we were always able to get beer in the stadium. Smaller team and not a huge crowd at matches (was a lovely atmosphere though!) so probably a factor, but far as I know you can get beer at University of Texas games as well.

ND is farcical, no beer at all in the stadium but just a few meters away people are hammered in the car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Peter Skoronski out of Northwestern is a potential top 5 pick in next year's draft. He's a left tackle and he's very strong.

In the skill positions, for Northwestern, RB Evan Hull looked good last season. He could be anything this season. He may have a future in the NFL.

For Nebraska, linebacker Luke Reimer is a team leader constantly getting into the backfield and causing mayhem. WR Trey Palmer could be a good one, if the QB is decent we'll find out. Martinez last year was awful so he never really had a chance to shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just a reminder for anyone attending. The Dublin Horse Show is on at the RDS. Finding a parking space might be 'interesting'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The horse show ends this weekend.

The game is the following weekend.

But speaking of parking I have not been to the stadium in 10 years.

Back then I used to park in a side street off Haddington Rd.

Is that sort of street parking still available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I'd enjoy this one, wouldn't surprise me if it's the last.

Tickets sales have been poor, they've had to do some amount of marketing spend on it.

The sponsors spending money handover fist.

Pity really, but ticket prices and hotels probably not a great combination.

Norte Dame & Navy are next week year? Commitments can always be reversed, but that's on track to go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I believe the commitment is a few years, can't remember top of my head.

But this isn't making money, the only real benefit is it's essentially similar to Patrick's day for business people, doing trade deals over dinner in the days before.

Aer Lingus putting in a massive effort with it.

Father in law just landed, Dublin Airport (arrivals, at least) plastered with promotion for the game.

Ticketmaster suggests a lot of tickets yet to sell, which is not filling me with confidence for a good atmosphere!

I think it's a lot to do with the teams.

NCAA football is super niche in Ireland.

Northwestern doesn't have the same name recognition as Notre Dame or BC for example.

Nebraska may have slightly better name recognition I'd guess, but not much.

But a lot of people have heard of ND and also "The fighting Irish" so that will be a bigger draw

Personally I'd prefer this game to a ND v Navy matchup.

This is a conference matchup in a Power Five conference, albeit that the two teams are pretty low in the Big 10 rankings.

I personally think it has more "authenticity" as a game than one between an independent and a AAC opponent, which always strikes me as one of those Week 1 games that are glorified preseason games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah the low ticket sales are a big worry for me too. Have a feeling they will go half price ticket prices or reduce the family ticket prices this week to attract a bigger crowd in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The average Irish person looking for a casual event doesn't give a damn about northwestern or Nebraska, and it doesn't "sound" like a big deal. Ucf and Penn State years ago in croke park was disappointing enough for the same reason, nobody has heard of them. I'm not sure why they wanted to have the event tbh, without a team with major name recognition or a big Irish connection it's not going to do well.

I remember having great craic chatting up the ucf women after the game down around George's street though, so hopefully that tradition continues.

All depends on the teams. Notre dame brought about 40k last time didn't they. Penn state brought huge numbers too and a decent whack from Georgia

Maybe less travelling post covid? I'm guessing the same amount of Irish will go just less travelling fans.

The nature of the game with people walking around/at bars/huge areas of seats reserved for bands ect it never really fells like a full house anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Risoc

Are the ticket prices comparative with regular games across the pond?

also, can I drink alcohol in my seat?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I found the states cheaper for the upper deck seats. But many of the American stadium fail to sell out due to the novelty of it constantly being available over there.

Yes you can drink in your seat at the Aviva stadium. It’s a big plus for the travelling fans as it’s normally a no alcohol event in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coloneldecker

Will you be able to bring drink to your seat?

• Advertisement

Some fail to sell out. Die partly to the stupidly huge endowments and donations which have to be spent, and so get spent on massive stadiums (and many other things)

but Not Nebraska. They’ve sold out every home game in their now 90,000 seat stadium since 1962 (370 odd games straight)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scallion.eater

I have two tickets but unfortunately can't make it. If anyone is interested in them for a very fair price send me a PM.

Centre of upper west stand.

Galway is seemingly flooded with Nebraskans. Went to a bar last night and met a family who were in for the game. Plenty of Husker gear on in the city.

Videos going around of the team arriving had the place mobbed with Husker fans getting flights into Ireland at a similar time. Father in law landed last week and saw a good number of Husker fans. The family we met last night said they were out and about and met one Northerwestern fan, who said he hadn't met any N'western fans yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Doesn't seem to be on any TV in UK or Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Risoc

Received with thanks, scallion. Looking forward to this now. Hopefully a decent attendance.

The fuckin Little League World Series strikes again.

Not only is it restricting BT Sports MLB coverage but now it's hitting College Football.

No college football on BT this weekend.

It's obviously part of their contract with ESPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

I don't think any of them have been televised here. I've been lucky enough to be able to find a download of them previously (& rewatch from time to time, they make the country look great)

They can only show the games ESPN have the rights to. ESPN don’t have the rights to Nebraska or North Western games.

Is there YouTube highlights for college games like the NFL?

• Advertisement

Don't think that is the case

They show plenty of SEC games that ESPN don't have rights to

Advertisement