Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

There having a flipping parade on 24/09., Google it please?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119502831#Comment_119502831 There was an error displaying this embed.

You keep bringing up this... like as if we shouldn't believe that Ukrainians will want to come here, or stay here after the war is finished.

What do you think the state of Ukraine will be like after the war is finished? It was already the worst economy in Europe (worse than countries with less resources), a corrupt government and issues with their banking system. It was not an attractive place to live before the war, and after? Come on. Seriously?

They'll keep coming because, at the moment, visa restrictions are waived. That means all restrictions.. when Ukrainians couldn't easily get into Europe before the war. And that's without dealing with all the positives about Ireland that Strumms referred to.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I made my point already in your post I responded to. I couldn’t care less what you have or haven’t to do tomorrow, but you’re not paying my pension in any case!

Again bigging yourself up while playing the martyr, if there’s anyone struggling for a point here it’s people bigging themselves up while at the same time trying to play the martyr when the thread is about Ukrainian refugees having to flee from their homes to find refuge in a country where there are a tiny number of people who can’t bear the thoughts of any inconvenience to themselves!

Off you go, I certainly don’t want to keep you from your beauty sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

yeah it's pretty mad alright. You would need serious cash to get out before this. And if that was the case you probably would stay as you had serious cash. It would be like allowing any one from India in without restrictions as long as they could get here. Fabulously wealthy people and Fabulously poor too. I think we know what ones would be making a b line. I think there is a cognitive dissonance in cases. Poor will always try and improve their lot in life I would You would it's human nature. But what could I or You provide with little education apart from menial labour or hotel work. But the issue is when they are here it's far far far more expensive to have them. It would be way cheaper in the long run just to pay them a wage in India they could live on. Same with Ukraine. €208 for example in both countries is huge money to the poor. cut it in half still a good living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,333 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can’t get timely attainable healthcare = inconvenience ?

can’t get housing as you are skipped and your wellbeing usurped by thousands arriving as you wait for social housing = inconvenience ?

can’t get your child into their preferred schools and when you get them into A school it’s potentially miles away = inconvenience ?

more besides….

id respectfully determine that these are in fact not inconveniences, but serious quality of life altering downgrades as a result of this influx and the incompetent decisions made surrounding them, with zero thought or concern on behalf of the elected representatives whom we elect and finance for the citizens here.

No Strumms what you’re referring to are systemic issues that existed in Ireland for a long time now, like since the foundation of the Irish State when we hadn’t a pot to piss in, and it hasn’t gotten much better since as we’ve lurched from one economic boom and bust to the next.

What I’m talking about are people who aren’t being in the slightest bit inconvenienced and appear quite happy to proclaim how well they’re doing for themselves, while looking down their noses at anyone who disagrees with them, thinking that because they pay tax, as any citizen of this country is expected to do, like that’s literally one of the most basic and fundamental expectations of a citizen, and they’re acting like they deserve an award for it (they have it already - citizenship!), that gives them some sort of elevated authority over everyone else! It’s fcuking bizarre, frankly!

No, the basics of a quality of life which you’re referring to aren’t being denied to anyone as a consequence of Ukrainian refugees who were granted entry to Ireland in the last few months. You can’t even hold our Government responsible for that as they continue to make enormous investments in the economy with funding coming from the EU.

So even to suggest there is zero thought or concern on behalf of elected representatives whom we elect and finance for the citizens here, it’s just not true. It’s possible for a Government to do both, in fact it’s necessary for our Government to maintain healthy international relationships with other countries because we’re as reliant on them for our economic growth and development as they are on us -

https://ireland.mfa.gov.ua/en/partnership/trade-between-ukraine-and-ireland

Hit a nerve did I? Your "point is not valid'. The basics of life are being denied. Point in case students! Continue on with your drivel?

Citizens have rights over everyone else. Go to any country on the planet as a non citizen and try demanding the same rights. Are you suggesting countries are made up and everyone has the same rights in that country.

Are you referring to people who are rounded? And can see things from different perspectives? And have differing ideologies on the same subject? Welcome to 2022 Jack.

• Advertisement

Of course you hit a nerve? I wouldn’t have responded to your post claiming there was no shame in telling refugees the country was at full capacity otherwise! There’s no basics of life being denied, are you being denied basics? You have a job, you have a bed, you have a roof over your head, you’re doing alright for yourself, you’re doing so well for yourself you even think you’re paying my pension!

What about students? The very fact that they’re students indicates they’re receiving an education, which is more than can be said for many Ukrainian refugees. You’re not paying for their maintenance and education grants either. Those are paid for out of public funding. You’re just paying whatever you’re supposed to pay in tax on your income, same as anyone else who is paying tax on their income, because that’s as I said to Strumms - a basic expectation! It’s not something you’re actually supposed to be congratulated for doing, and nobody has to be thankful to you for doing so and achieving one of the most basic of expectations in life!

Should you actually be so concerned about students, there’s nothing stopping you from employing a few given you’re in a position to do so, you can take them under your wing and pretend like you’re Bill Cullen, looking for warriors!

Anyways, I know you have really super important back to back meetings tomorrow so I should let you get back to sleep! 👍

Let me make my position clear.

Any newbies are economic migrants. Call a spade a spade. Their beloved Mayor has recalled them. Fact as verified by article. You may be happy for them to live in "Cardboard City". I'm not and guess what? The Majority aren't , but we were never consulted?

No I’m not, any more than I know you’re not suggesting that Irish citizens are being deprived of their rights as a consequence of our Government recognising that refugees also have rights which they are equally entitled to as Irish citizens such as those rights granted to them under the Temporary Protection Directive.

You may need to think that through a bit. An EU citizen can be removed from another EU country they do not hold citizenship in. The minutiae of the law on this is completely irrelevant. Citizens have rights over and above anyone in the country that is not from that country. Citizens cannot be deported. That's a fundamental right others do no have. It's basic stuff. EU citizens can only stay in an EU country for 3 months before having to register their presence. Citizens of a country do not have to. Your rights are not absolute as a citizen of the EU.

I could be sent home. I'm not currently an Irish citizen.

And before it gets silly. I did not register myself in my home country. Could not hold a pen or conversation. My parents did it for me.

The minutiae of the law on this is completely irrelevant.

You absolutely haven’t thought that one through! 😳

The rest of it I could take it or leave it, this is actually what I was referring to with regard to Ukrainians in Ireland who qualify under the Temporary Protection Directive -

(10) Without prejudice to subsection (8), a displaced person to whom subsection (2)applies shall be entitled—

(a) to seek and enter employment, to engage in any business, trade or profession and to have access to education and training in the State in the like manner and to the like extent in all respects as an Irish citizen,

(b) to receive, upon and subject to the same conditions applicable to Irish citizens, the same medical care and the same social welfare benefits as those to which Irish citizens are entitled, and

(c) to the same rights of travel in the State as those to which Irish citizens are entitled.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/66/section/60/enacted/en/html#sec60

Interestingly you left out the whole other provisions. Visa is mentioned a few times.

(9) Where, during the validity of a permission to reside in the State given under subsection (6), a displaced person to whom subsection (2) applies seeks to enter another Member State or has entered it without authorisation, the Minister shall, in co-operation with the competent authority of that Member State, make arrangements for the return of the person to the State.

That's all the lads of fighting age out. Why at a minimum is that not happening. We would have way more room for women and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,333 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When we have systematic issues and problems and lack of xyz… we don’t invite and encourage more people, to try and compete for them…

so I am looking out my window at torrential downpours right now. I have just seen a post on the Helping Hand for Ukrainians page from a girl , just posted yesterday (!) who wants to move to Ireland with her 63 year parents and 18 year old cat. Their picture is them all sitting at home in their nice house looking happy. At this stage (almost September) what would possess them to pack up and trek to Ireland, to live in a tent, or an old nursing home, or a convent, or get temporary accommodation only to be moved over and over and over again? Why are these people not considering moving to Western Ukraine, even temporarily ? Why did they not come in March, why wait until almost September? It doesn't make sense.

We have miserable wet, grey Winters that go on for months. Most of us we survive as we have a place we can call home if we are lucky. What are the Ukrainians in Tory Island, Inisbofin, Belmullet, Cahirciveen, or the Red Cow, or Citywest going to do for the Winter, in tents or sports halls? Its interesting to see many other Ukrainians who are already here saying "don't come, there is a housing crisis" yet these people still come!

These people would be far better staying in Ukraine with foreign support if needed , this is already flooding in anyway so what is the problem?? If the Mayor of Kiev is calling Ukrainians home, why are people still posting that they want to come to Ireland (of all places!!)

....and don't get me started on the truck driver from Offaly is still doing runs over to Ukraine and bringing back people in his truck........he's being doing it from the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

They will be coming as I said untill benefits stop, people die in tent's or we replace this government.

They were only interested in getting Access to the EU. They have it now and they are getting out as fast as they can.

What excuse will they use to stay if nothing changes. Its a sham been forced on us.

Any do-gooder been paid to bring refugees here needs to be called out, even if that pay is "donations".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

Scotland with a similar population as us paused Ukrainian refugees for 3 months recently, they'll review it after the 3 months. They had taken in 7000 Ukrainians n felt it was all that they could cope with at the time.

Paddy has taken in 7 times that number n our politicians blissfully ignore the mounting list of problems. They are off on 6 weeks holidays at the minute, enjoy it lads as the mood music is changing by the day for Joe public with this sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"Before any Nay sayers get in here" - What's that supposed to mean?!

Kyiv was one of the main targets. The Russians failed to take it, being stopped around 30km from the city centre. They then withdrew and instead started attacking in the southeast.

Look at suckit's youtube video. It's like Cork gets bombed, as do random towns in every second county and including Newry and Omagh and Derry, and people in Belfast leg it.

Cece12. Or whatever you call yourself.

Who are you replying to at the top of the page? It's fierce confusing when you post several one-sentence posts that appear to be replies but don't quote anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Scotland has welcomed 13,257 refugees from Ukraine since the start of the war, with 10,056 arriving into the country under the Super Sponsor Scheme

Scotland is not in the EU anymore.

I didn’t leave out anything I wasn’t referring to. I was referring to the rights Ukrainian refugees have the same as Irish citizens.

Anyone, btw, above the age of 16, is “of fighting age”, but I’m absolutely certain that’s not a criteria used by the DOJ in determining anyones legal status as to whether or not they qualify for protection under the TPR.

Nobody’s competing for anything - they either qualify for it, or they don’t.

If the Mayor of Kyiv (sorry, Kiev, apparently we still use the Russian spelling here) says something it's 100% true, correct, factual, should be acted upon, and should not be greeted with any degree of skepticism, doubt, fact-checking or even "let's wait and see for a bit";

but

if Micheál Martin or Leo Varadkar or the green fella say anything it's lies, pure politicking, can't be believed, the guy's a joke, 'well-he-would-say-that-wouldn't he', 'just wait until the next election, we'll show them', 'they're traitors to their own country, selling us out'.

That's the way it works, yes?

(Anyone got a link to his statement, btw? I'm not finding one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Plans for Kerry council to buy/lease/gifted/loaned a building from Kerry group, it's the old apartment building that currently used for storage in their Tralee office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Irish embassy reopening in Kyiv.

Meanwhile we're still welcoming Ukrainians fleeing from wartorn areas 🙄 and giving them shelter and all trimmings.

Is there actually anyone in government that can see the hypocrisy in it all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Saw that, the British, French, Italian and Netherland Embassies reopened in April. The Indian and U.S. Embassies both reopened in May. I couldn't be bothered to check which others and when.

Surely coupled with

and

We should at the very least stop taking them in. Whatever about the ones we have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement