Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

As I recall, it may have been non-qualifying and the winning margin and score were significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Increasingly becoming dissatisfied with this system.

Allegedly it is supposed to show you current form/potential and may work well for new / improving golfers, but is proving at least in ireland to be a disaster.

To provide a part to a potential 10 shot increase in handicap in 24 months is absolutely mental.

Offer it up you will have takers.

Golf ireland do not properly support club h/cap secs in dealing with outliers/outlaws.

I recall even if anecdotal, golfers refusing to attest scores on grounds of not trying, outright cheating etc.

A campaign (Golf Ireland ) lead to educate all golfers would not go astray..

All alleged sandbaggers have complicate playing partners, even if they are not fully aware of it.

Willy nilly signing off on a card as we all do to be fair is a large part of the problem

Education from the top is an imperative .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

It says here that the PCC algorithm will be adjusted from Monday. It only mentions England Golf but surely Golf Ireland will follow soon

The algorithm used to drive the calculation has been changed and the new measures should come into force imminently – perhaps as early as Monday.

The R&A and USGA have told national handicapping associations that detailed analysis of scoring data submitted by countries indicates that a change to the rounding method currently used to work out the PCC would increase the number of times an adjustment is made for abnormal conditions by an average of 5%.

They have said this means that, for example, in countries where a PCC adjustment happens about 10% of the time, it would increase the average to about 15% on eligible days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

From GI

Dear Club Honorary Secretary, Club Communications Officer & Club Handicap Secretary,

We are writing to advise you of an upcoming change to the Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC). Please see below for your information and note that nothing needs to be done by the club to implement this change.

PCC Update: 

Since the launch of the World Handicap System (WHS) in November 2020, Golf Ireland has received feedback from golfers, and clubs on a wide range of topics. One of the most talked about aspects of WHS has been the Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) and its lack of movement compared to the old Competition Scratch Score (CSS).

We have been analysing this very carefully across GB&I and have presented this to The R&A to help with their own research and that of other countries on this topic. As a result of this work, we can report that a change will be made to the algorithm that calculates the PCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I've seen PCC once in the last 2 years but what confuses the average golfer is for some major events that have qualifying rounds you can see via masterscoreboard that some days were significantly tougher than others in terms of scoring but yet no adjustments are ever made. I assume this is because the handicaps of the players playing on different days might be different so scores are averaging out higher/lower but it would be useful to have some transparency and an explanation when PCC is applied instead of saying 'the algorithm'. The other thing is a lot of players seem to think that if its a very windy day there should be a PCC adjustment but as far as i know the weather is not a factor in any calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

When abnormal course or weather conditions cause scores to be unusually high or low on a given day, a Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) will adjust Score Differentials to better reflect the player’s actual performance.

That was taken straight from WHS.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

This system is something I just cannot warm to. The scale of movement of handicap, the speed at which people can increase and the attribution of astronomical handicaps are all lessening my enjoyment of the game

Didn't actually know weather was mentioned in WHS, thanks for that. The wording there is very vague though. Abnormal course conditions could be literally anything, same with weather. How is it decided that the weather was a major factor on a days golf? I assume the 'algorithm' is a simple check against a 'normal' days scoring vs the potential PCC adjusted day rather than anything more complex than that so how would weather conditions be taken into account in that sense? Is there some check against local weather conditions? Seems highly unlikely. Would love a proper explanation of it, the communication around it always seems to say to just let the system/algorithm take care of it. Explaining how that works would be worthwhile IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

However, a computer has no idea if the day is sunny or windy, so it actually cant calculate it. if the required number of people hit the required score, it won't give anything, despite the fact that half the field might have bailed early.

The PCC is based solely on scores. The assumption is that if scoring is bad across the board, it must have been a windy day or tough course conditions. Not the other way around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Initially when they were doing promos and podcasts for it they inferred weather would have a direct role on pcc but I'm presuming they scrapped it because they're not mentioning it any more which is a shame. Shooting the same score a windy day vs a calm day should be recognized as different levels of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

According to data collected by Europe’s largest network of golfers on HowDidiDo, average stableford scores in competition have actually shifted from significantly favouring players in lower categories to being almost equal. Furthermore, there’s just under two points between the average totals scored by players in all categories, down from an almost 13 point difference pre-WHS.

https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2022/08/19/is-the-world-handicap-system-beginning-to-prove-its-worth/?mc_cid=64c347adc0&mc_eid=9631517e94

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

This is all assumption on my part because they don't reveal the algorithm but I'd imagine it calculates scores per handicap against the course rating / slope rating and if these are unusually high or low a PCC number comes into play. The weather aspect is the fact that it is usually weather that causes scores to be worse. So it's not actually looking at weather conditions, but the a differential in scoring which is usually due to weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

The lower players are far more consistent though. So while the averages are now much closer, the article doesn't indicate what their liklihood of winning a competition is. But I suspect that's far closer than people would expect too.

I'm one of the few who is happy to see higher handicaps win competitions now. I had a look at the society charter the other day and saw that people who had never played golf before were given a handicap of 18. That was fairly typical of the mindset in golf. Delighted to have you, but there's no way we're going to risk you being a natural and actually winning a comp. In a club you'd be stuck with the 18 handicap for a year. If you are struggling to break 20 for the year they'd probably bump you up a couple of shots at the annual review. Another year later if you were low 20s every week you might get another shot or two. We talk about how great the handicap system is because it allows everyone to play against each other. But in reality it was everyone of a minimum ability.

People calling for counting casual rounds to be scrapped need to think about the consequences of it too. For me, I think my rounds would be going back over 3 years if that was brought in. It just wouldn't be an up to date handicap. And I'm sure there are plenty like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

I would have thought this too, but I was in two recent comps with tough weather conditions resulting in the winning score being 36 points in both cases. Neither had a PCC adjustment. The only score on my record with a PCC adjustment (of 1.0) was on a relatively benign day with the three top places all scoring more than 40. I can't make sense of it.

I think the system is fine for the most part. Perhaps certain rules around minimum number of counting rounds to be eligible for prizes or winning. I'm not sure what the cap is on number of shots you can go up by, but putting a sensible number on that. And these things need to come direct from Golf Ireland as opposed to leaving it up to clubs - who are reluctant to do anything for fear they might get themselves into trouble.

I personally enjoy the greater focus on handicap the system causes - rounds that were previously a lost cause in the old system can now be important if you have scores dropping out. I had five counting scores in a row drop out recently and it really made me focus and try to put in something decent as my handicap was spiraling upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

In the old system the CSS was adjusted based on the individual competition results, in WHS the PCC is based on every recorded round that day.

So let’s say the morning comp was difficult as it was off back sticks and the wind was howling but it calmed down in the afternoon and then a society went out (with players putting in GP cards) maybe off the forward tees. The morning players might expect a PCC but the afternoon play will negate this.

I think part of the problem with using multi tees as part of the calculation is that the slope and course rating between hard and easy tees often does not adequately reflect the change in difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Did anyone who played yesterday notice that their WHS has not been updated this morning? or is it just me? Normally it seems to be updated around 1 am but it didn't this morning for some reason.

Well the fact that they're changing the algorithm means it wasn't fit for purpose, so that's probably one reason. I'd also imagine it depends on the handicaps - like CSS did before. Probably weighted towards lower handicaps who tend to have more consistent scores. It couldn't really be based on anything other than scoring, if you think about it. Just depends on how the calculation works - which they don't seem to want to reveal.

Would there not be a lot more comp cards go in than society though which would outweigh the easier conditions?

I find the course rating fairly easy to understand and it gives me a good idea of how much harder the back tees are for example but slope I find harder to quantify so pay less attention to it. I'd have thought course rating is pretty good at identifying the difficulty increases between tees, my home course is par 70, 71.2 off the standard whites and 72.4 off the blues so over a shot harder off the blues. Slope is 124 and 127 but i don't really understand that difference in all honesty. Interested to hear why you think the ratings don't reflect the actual difficulty changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

Respectfully, leaving aside outright cheating (kicking your ball, false scores etc), I'm fairly sure we can't refuse to sign a card because we think someone isn't trying. Just think about the rabbit hole you'd potentially be going down.

"Joe, I'm not signing that card for 35pts, I don't think you were trying and could have had a lot more......"

"Ok, what do you think I could have shot ?"

"sure with all them missed putts, you could have had 40pts easy if you'd bothered......"

"fair enough, can I put 40pts in for the competition then ?"

All we can do is attest to the score they actually had. None of us are able to say when a player is not trying or sandbagging. We may think we know and may even be correct occasionally. Golf is simply too difficult a sport for any of us to judge that correctly though. Top pros regularly shoot 63 followed by 75, yet when a weekend warrior shoots 38pts and 26pts some people will say he's sandbagging. Its bullsh1t. Purely IMHO, any real good sandbaggers out there do it in such a way that you won't know they're doing it, I honestly think most of the rest are just people having good or bad days. I had 24pts on our back nine on Saturday in a stiff breeze, in flat calm conditions yesterday morning I had 14pts for the same nine - was I sandbagging ? f--k no, I had a counting score dropping out and I was trying not to go up, but just couldn't get anything going. Couple of 3 putts and poor shots and the round was ruined. It happens.

I think, no system, WHS or CONGU or whatever can deal with people determined to game it in some way, but I do feel, thankfully, they're fairly few and far between relatively speaking. I do think the jump from CONGU to WHS has been such a massive change in the way we have to think about our handicaps and scores makes us a bit biased. The volatility in handicaps is definitely hard for me to get my head round - kinda hard to fathom jumps or falls of 2 shots in a few weeks for some guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

Regarding the PCC always being zero, I had assumed the handicaps in my club were too high, hence there were always good scores coming in, regardless of the conditions. Good to see it may be actually the algorithm at fault. The amount of PCC adjustments we have had is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is early days ...I think I probably prefer aspects of new system as I do not get to play much competive golf due to work.

I probably am old school , in the higher level handicaps actually winning overall competition is daft...should be a min number of rounds (and I'd say 20) before your eligible for any comp.

We are practically positioning golf at a level , if you are a beginner, don't play , practice , try improve...You can win.

I know I'm probably an outlier , but I think that is bullshit.

Big prizes and overall win probably needs to go for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

I had one PCC adjustment since WHS. Somewhere between 40-50 scores logged IIRC. It's funny though as a couple of weeks back the weather was glorious with receptive greens and our major qualifier (strokes) had lots of good scores. Probably better than usual. The following week, wind and rain. Much more difficult conditions and the scores were obviously somewhat poorer—no adjustments in either case. Usually, I wouldn't even think about it, only because I've seen the post earlier in the thread.

The only other thing that I can say WHS-related is on slope ratings and I don't think it's the WHS that's the flaw here. My home course 100% plays easier than the rating for me. Any time I play away on similar parkland I surprisingly find them to be rated as less difficult from similar distances. Often there are more hazards/water, rough, narrower or have testing OBs. They don't seem to play the 1-2 shots easier whatsoever. So I think that most players' HCs in my home course are probably slightly better than they should be. Mine included. With the slope ratings being whatever they may be, I also think our 4/5 hardest holes are in the wrong index order.

However, my statements above on the rating/index are purely subjective to my level and experience. If they're looked at from the perspective of an elite amateur or scratch golfer, then it could easily be entirely different. Would love to know more about how the courses are assessed for difficulty and how often it gets updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I think that's the more common attitude. It might change as people get used to the new system.

I do think a minimum number of scores submied is a good idea. But I wouldn't like to see a max handicap.

What I would also line to see is a scaling back in the value of prizes. They're ridiculous really. The prize should be winning and if you get a cap or a box of balls for winning that would be plenty.

Are you genuinely saying no max, that is really saying literally someone who just started can win...(even if we are practically at that level)

I think there is a cultural aspect that is in Irish sport too , that I personally like, there is an enjoyment for genuine, hard work , improvement and excellence.

Whs probably has a cultural problem in Irish golf...as a nation I don't think we genuinely believe everyone can win, no matter what and you don't have to work hard at something at all..

I think Irish golf on the competitive side is very serious (maybe too) - and whs at its heart, enables a far more casual, social idea of golf.

Probably better for the wider body of golf, but has torn apart competitive Irish golf - people who invest heavily in the Irish golf industry, keep clubs going etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

net 59 won last medal in our place.

same lad won captains prize few weeks ago

i like WHS and at least the scores are transparent so you can see and make your own mind up

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

I like that there's no max handicap, it makes golf a lot more inclusive for people with mobility issues or disabilities. The way forward though is probably putting more emphasis and focus on categories with just a nominal prize for overall win.

Net 59 (lol)

To compete with that lads would have to go about 8 or 9 under par gross.

It basically has removed major club competitions from the calendar a major part of club golf...

That is Kim Jong Un level of golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

That's an excellent point Fix, the cultural side here Vs the WHS. I know lots of guys who wouldn't bother with weekend golf if there wasn't a competition and it was just casual. Its different in many other countries, I've played in a few places in Europe and golf is very much more of a family, all inclusive thing. There are competitions of course, but its much more about everyone taking part and competing, but not in the "everyone gets a medal in the egg & spoon race" kind of thing either, actually competing. Not sure we've moved away from winning is everything in this country, you see it in other sports too, just look at schools rugby. Not saying its better or worse, just arguably different to other places.

That said, I do think there needs to be a max handicap and I'm old enough and grumpy enough to think it shouldn't be 54, but I can get the reasoning for it at the same time. Let's be honest, there's not many 54 h/caps cleaning up in the prizes in most clubs anyway.

Advertisement