Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finch at bird feeder has peanut stuck between its eyes

Options
  • 20-08-2022 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭

Subject says it all. It otherwise seems fine. Think finch-sized cassowary.

Is this a common thing with these birds? Just ignore it an let the critter cope?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Huh, how could a finch have a peanut stuck there ....their eyes are on different sides of their heads. Surely it'd fall off. Maybe it's something else like a lump on their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Peanut. Definitely. If I see it again I'll try & get a photo but they don't sit still very long. Damndest thing, i can see them pretty well from the window and it's either a bizarre growth, or a peanut. Atop the head is better than 'between the eyes' as a description.

The peanut feeder they're visiting is fairly new to the yard, couple months and the finches and other small birds have gone crazy for it, I'm filling it every other day. It's the one feeder the crows and magpies leave alone.

Sounds like a tick, which finches are prone to. Often on their cheeks, but anywhere, usually around the head. Probably not a lot you can do, doesn't sound good if its as big as a peanut, but I don't know recovery rates etc.

I would say stop feeding, take in and wash the feeders in boiling water, washing up liquid. Don't feed again for at least a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's no reason to take such drastic action if it's a tick. That said I'm more prone to thinking it may by a growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just googled and could it be Avian pox?

• Advertisement

Actually, now that it's been suggested, I think it's a tick as well. The reason I thought it was a peanut (o.k., so naive me,) is that it was sort-of hemispherical and brownish. When the finch in question is poking into the feeder, the 'thing' actually gets pried up a bit but holds firmly to the bird at the end nearest the bird's head. Definitely seems like a tick, and at this point, I doubt there's anything I can do about it as there's no way to catch the bird in question.

Thanks for the info. Uggh. Ticks. Loathsome things and this one's a pretty good size.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The avian pox suggestion seems quite likely to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would say stop feeding, take in and wash the feeders in boiling water, washing up liquid. Don't feed again for at least a month.

Regardless of the peanut/tick, feeders should be thoroughly cleaned every few days anyhow.

A couple of photos of the bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is that a greenfinch? aren't their numbers decimated in recent years?

• Advertisement

It's a greenfinch. Per Birdwatch ireland they're common. We have a lot of them, neighbours with feeders have lots of them. I don't think their numbers are in bad shape.

Don't mind out of date Birdwatch Ireland pages. Greenfinches have been decimated in recent years - mostly from Trichomonas

That bird has a type of avian pox. Take down all feeders for at least three weeks. Disinfect them all, including Bird baths. Neighbours need to do likewise.

What websites would you suggest? Took the feeder down, rinsed it and sprayed it down with bleach solution. Now drying in the shed.

Would swapping in a new, clean feeder be a bad idea? I'm thinking that the pox needs to run its course, so no feeder for awhile. The bird in question is still around looking for the feeder ☹️. Along with its buddies but at least they're not congregating on it, which I guess is bad for pox spread.

RSPB..A recent decline in numbers has been linked to an outbreak of trichomonosis, a parasite-induced disease that prevents the birds from feeding properly.

BTO..Formerly widespread and a feature at birdfeeders, Greenfinches have been disappearing from Northern Ireland. The latest results from the Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) highlight the true extent of the problem Greenfinches are facing. The main driver of the fall in the population is thought to be the disease Trichomonosis, first emerging in finch populations following spill-over from Woodpigeons.

Conservation status: Red.

In fairness Birdwatch Ireland do have this link showing it as Amber concern. Red Alert - Irish Garden Birds of Conservation Concern - BirdWatch Ireland

Yes, you want to stop congregating birds for a while.

All feeders should be cleaner regularly anyway as a disease prevention measure. It's even wise, if you can do it, to move the feeding station around the garden a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

this site has some good info on the disease and how to prevent it occurring again

Advertisement