Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Foreigners do the same. A lot of Brazilians for example source accommodation through other Brazilians and Brazilian facebook groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Are they directly contracted into the company or are they subcontracted in by another company.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It doesnt matter in the end - in both cases contractors (staff or services) are first to be cut, because its easy to do so.

While most solo contractors tend to be older, contract/service companies who have their own staff tend to have younger folks employed. So if the work dries up these could still be some of the first to go.

In the case of any slowdown there will absolutely be demand reduction for new homes from all those younger staff being laid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

There is a party in government that knows how to get houses built, there is another with a strong green agenda. We have umpteen empties that could save us significantly on carbon emissions. Between the 2 of them could they bang heads together and do something

You think the ladder is tough, what do you think of the rental snake.

If we/you/ are so concerned about the economy, why is it so difficult to build a few homes for the people that drive it and generate those taxes the government are squandering

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why is it difficult to build homes? It's as if you have been living under a rock for the past 5 years?

We are building homes. We are building loads of them. It's hard to drive anywhere in any urban area without passing multiple developments. We have a finite amount of labour and a finite amount of materials, and right now no developer or tradesman is sitting at home twiddling their thumbs, they all have a book of work as long as your arm.

Here's the thing, they are building houses for those that generate the taxes drive the economy. Middle-income families are the ones buying the houses that are popping up. It's the lower earners who are struggling.

If you want to build more social and affordable housing, you need to build less private developments. The government does not have a magic wand, you are taking resources from column A and putting it in column B.

I have zero sympathy for landlords, let's be clear, but the rental market is a **** show because of populist policies adopted to make being a landlord unattractive. The longer this goes on, the worse it's going to get for renters. As a renter, you want more landlords, not less. So long as the number of landlords trends down, your rent is going to trend up. And let's be absolutely clear, these populist rental policies are a weaker version of what the current opposition want.

People need to realise the government does not run the property market, they are just another player in it. They do not have a magic button. There is no way to please everyone in housing, somebody has to lose out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I agree but would go further and say it is not just people directly affected by the housing crises that will go SF. I am not affected but still will go SF as I think the inequality now regarding housing is too unjust and FF/FG combination are making it worse.

Housing one of two basic needs to live and we aren't providing it but are supose to believe this country is a success because of GDP figures. The emperor's new cloths.

Bring on SF with policys that are bad for FDI. Exactly what th.e country needs now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It dose. RTE are already in trouble using contracts rather than directly employing staff.

It's something revenue are clamping down on. If contractors are directly contracted in you may find that they will take cases to be treated as employees if there was a sudden move to cease a large amount of there contracts.

This could open a can of worms then as if there work remained and they were considered employees by any of Revenue, the WRC or the labour court you could not necessarily just cease there contracts.

Neither is the presumption that permanent workers will automatically have the skillsets to take over from contractor's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Not all recessions are as severe as 08… for a recession to occur all you need is a slow down for 2 Qtrs. A stop to overtime and a hiring freeze would be enough to generate a recession.

the contractors are on zero hour contracts so yes they can be let go without any trouble. The debate about revenue is different as it’s a tax dodge so as not to pay employers prsi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I have a shortlist of properties on Daft that I am watching. Today an apartment dropped 10k! First time I have seen this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

If you get into Myhome.ie and click on Price Changes you will get a daily update on property price increases and price decreases for all counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Loads of property.price reductions in Cork city this month

https://www.myhome.ie/pricechanges/cork-city

Again, your entire premise is based on the idea that things couldn't be worse. I have no idea why you have this in your head

Thing could be worse, of course, but this is not a licence or permission to continue with doomed policy, it should be motivation to fix it. High unaffordable House prices can crash an economy quicker than any alternative

Multiple opportunities have been missed to sort this out, with more on the way mainly a housing construction recession (UK, US) . This brings deflationary materials environment and larger pool of available labour

Government states tackling inflation is their number 1 priority, you don't need to be a genius to know that the heaviest life costs are so because of government interderence.

Sent my daughter to summer camp for a week over the summer, the cost was half what it would be to send her to creche. The summer camp was in university facility which I imagine they paid a fee for.

Creche's are bogged down with forms, questionable staff ratios, insurance and extortionate rents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@Villa05

Creche's are bogged down with forms, questionable staff ratios, insurance and extortionate rents

Correct me if I am wrong but I have this recollection that a few years ago there were issues with every single underwriter deciding to exit the market for Irish creches. It seems that a lot of financial institutions have decided they don't want to deal with the Ireland.

Rather odd that the business friendly party had the balance of power for the last decade and a half then

Wonder how many tds are from the legal profession and other professions that the Irish consumer gets hammered

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Topic has gone out the window, back to property please.

Back to property

Alot of lucrative business with councils through rents and sales including doubling the price of a house in less than 3 months

"Fianna Fáil Junior Minister Robert Troy used Dáil speaking time to call for more funding for a State rental scheme which he currently receives an income from"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is anyone surprised? Nothing will happen Troy either.

I'd bet most politicians are making a massive sum from non salary income which is gained through their position of office.

You just have to go back to 2015 with the rte investigates catching the councillors out...businessmen coming to them offering them money if they gave X project go ahead etc.

I know of several local tds who have multiple properties.

And that's just property....expand that out into business and the net will broaden even wider...owners of pharmacies...owners of pubs...owners of restaurants...hotels...owners of construction companies. How easy is it for a county councillor to employ their own groundworks contractor to install a cycle lane for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I can see a scenario where multi-generational mortgages will be the norm. Anyone who was saying prices are coming down need to look at immigration numbers and the slow down of new builds being built. No price drops for at least 5 years and if immigration inward continues we will be indefinitely be at a deficit when it comes to housing

And with the immigration inwards at a positive she wont be missed with regards to supply and demand for property in Ireland. Good luck to her, fair play for wanting to see if there is anything better out there but with respect there are not many first world countries not affected by a recession and house price increases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

It's been mentioned the property crisis is occurring in a lot of (developed) countries. But I would argue that the situation in Ireland is acutely worse. In trying to do a very rough comparison with UK & AUS:

• In RoI, there are approx 5.1 million people with 784 rentals available on Daft.ie at the time of posting. On a per capita basis thats roughy 1 rental for every 6,500 people. NOTE: This is not a meaningful statistic, other than using it for compartative purposes.
    • In Australia with a population of 27.1 million, realestate.com.au dominates much like Daft. Its showing approx 52,400 rentals, which translates to roughly 1 rental for every 520 people.
    • In the UK, harder to get a figure but a quick search I found a report that said in March this year there were just 64,800 rentals in UK (population 67.4 million). That equates to roughly 1 for every 1040 people.

Ireland is a basket case when it comes to housing its people. Our rental market is so dysfunctional it is actually causing severe societal harm & economic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

It appears that I have been too complimentary on the government in their attempts to deliver housing for people to buy, the most up to date data shows that only 1 in 4 new builds were made available for sale to the public.

"Affordable" homes scheme are priced at 450k for Dublin and 400k for Cork and Galway. This requires an above average income and the top 20% of household income.

Almost everyone has been priced out of new builds

82% of the open planning permissions in Dublin are for inferior build to rent properties.

Part of the reason for this is the consistent failure of government to tackle the issue of supply. Of the 20,433 new homes delivered last year, just 5,698 were available for individual buyers to buy.

In Dublin city, in 2020, nearly 82pc of residential schemes applied for or granted were built-to-rent – developments which will never be available for individuals and families to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

multi generational mortgages would be a sure sign society on the whole is in a terrible place.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is this not the same data that was debunked as deliberately misleading a while ago?

I.e, this "one in four" number included self-builds and built-to-lets.

Maybe/maybe not if you think of the positives when your considering your kids and they pick up the mortgage when you retire and you live there till you pop your clogs no CGT and your kids has a good portion of the mortgage already paid and can sell up without any taxing on the profit made then your kids would have a decent bit of cash to buy. Just saying it will become an option if the current dynamic of new builds stalling, population increasing at 300k a year and new incentives for FTBs to buy pushing up prices.

• Advertisement

There'll be fun at the retirement party when you inform your children they'll be paying your mortgage for the next 25 years to add to the pensions deficit, ballooning health budget, government debt, 08 banking crisis

Advertisement