Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk vanished from Internet radio

Options
  • 16-06-2022 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi there

I've used a Roberts Internet radio for years. Newstalk is gone off it for about 2 weeks. Anyone any idea how to get it back? Can get it on their website but Newstalk no longer on All stations list to select and add to presets. I prefer the radio for listening at night as I can find the preset buttons in the dark by touch when half asleep!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jaykayphd

Hi Imogen

No help unfortunately but same issue on our Logitech radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭imogen

Thanks for confirming @jaykayphd

I have found this which may be "the answer" but complicated... https://confusedbird.com/thread-7.html

I'll try it later today and let you know if any joy. Though I sometimes wonder why I bother listening to the crud on Newstalk any more... Probably only Sean Moncrieff that I miss from the whole station, and occasionally I find Pat Kenny quite funny when he gets in a crank and has to explain "science" to bullshitters.

I'll also contact newstalk engineers (I have complained in the past about why they have their default volume set about 3 stops higher than any other station so if you change to them you have to change the volume down as well) just in case they can help.

Aaargh. Newstalk's current "operations director" Chris Doyle is on holiday until the 27th and doesn't bother in his out of office to give any other contact for holiday cover. "If it is urgent you will know how to contact me, otherwise, I will reply on my return."

Honestly, what a terrible corporate culture... another reason not to bother and to just give up on listening to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,688 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There are many other websites

https://ieradio.org, https://irishradiolive.com,

Add this stream url to your personal streams on your internet radio!

It works fine on my Roberts Stream 93i

http://ice1.gocaster.net:80/nt482

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Newstalk is also available on Radio Garden:

Or, if you want a specific link to it:

http://radio.garden/listen/newstalk-106-108/v9UecYAU

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dom the chemist

Chris Doyle wouldn't be the right person to talk to about this issue anyway, it's Pat Balfe you should be talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Newstalk was the same when it was on the Sky satellite platform. The feed would go unlistenable for days before anyone would bother doing something about it.

They eventually plugged the plug on it altogether some months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The Newstalk satellite outlet was not intended for listener use, it was their very expensive way of feeding and backing up the various FM transmission sites.

I remember when we were setting up Phantom legal, we had discussions with Newstalk about them possibly providing a news service for us. Dan Healy was in charge at the time and we got around to talking about satellite platforms as Phantom had almost applied to operate as a satellite based programme provider, just before the FM license was then advertised.

We had looked into costs and quickly discovered that being on the Astra 28.2E platform was incredibly expensive - because it is the dominant service footprint for Ireland & UK and so you have a very large potential audience with their dishes already pointing at it. You pay dearly for that potential. Newstalk were paying very big money for simply sending a feed to their transmission sites and there were cheaper ways to do it. They fell into the trap of the time in thinking that a satellite service for Ireland had to come from 'Sky' (28.2E).

We had met with the Astra sales team and had identified a satellite serving Iran and the middle east, that could be received in Ireland - it would need a slightly bigger dish than a domestic Sky and of course, it would have to be pointed in a different direction. That didn't matter for us, as we intended to only use it as a distribution link for European cable providers to receive from and then push through their cabled network. The fact that anyone in Iran could pick it up directly from satellite, because their dish was already pointing at it, made no difference to us, they were not our intended audience and so the carriage cost would have been about €15,000 per year, as opposed to the €60,000 + (IIRC) that Newstalk were paying.

I presume they eventually dropped the satellite platform distribution when internet streaming became higher quality, more reliable, and cheaper. The professional transmission sites now used for national FM distribution have an internet backbone feed available.

None of that though, explains why they have now dropped off the aggregated internet radio carrier services, except that Bauer Media (owner) have been cutting back on internet provision, taking many of their UK and European stations offline, or geo restricting them - to save costs and to serve their specific local audiences only. While it is nice to have your station available worldwide, it is hard to make money off an international service and so it is probably a significant cost for a large multiple operator, like Bauer.

So the confused bird thread above does work to fix the Newstalk problem.

Except while doing it, I spotted the option to update the software on my Roberts Stream 202. Being a good technical support person, of course I updated. That deleted all my preset stations, so then I had to redo them all. But anyway, working now, many thanks everyone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

Same issue for me on my Logitech Squeezebox. I emailed Newstalk but no reply so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭vinnielo

Advertisement