Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Asking for donations to charities registered in delaware where you only have to actually give 5 % to charity is dogey work by anyone's estimation. You give 100 dollars and they take 95 dollars for themselves for admin give me a break, thats just stealing and we are well aware of CEO of charities stealing even in little old ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Some peoplr get paid for doing fuk all. Other people are stupid enough to pay them. Doesn't make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Don't forget that they chose Princess Anne's birthday to announce their upcoming visit to the UK. What is it with those 2 having to make announcements on their own plans on the birthdays of other Royal family members? It's almost like they're trying to steal the attention from them. Like a child shouting look at me look at me look at me when they have a new baby sibling in the house.

It looks like they're both wondering what went wrong with their lives. I wonder if it was intentional? It's unusual for her certainly, to have anything but a big grin on her face regardless of how inappropriate it might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

They Seem desperate for public life, for two who said they wanted a private life. I don't get it.

Suppose to fund their private lifestyle, they need serious income. The only thing they have is to sell themselves ie. Appearances, public speaking, 'charities' (where they can use 95% to pay expenses/salarie), as British Royalty with Duke, Duchess, Prince titles. Thats all they have to offer.

I think that they thought they'd arrive in Hollywood and it would be straight to the red carpet and lots of money to be made from selling the royal connections. The problem was Covid hit and there weren't really any publicity opportunities for them to promote themselves. They signed contracts to deliver things that they can't deliver. Their brand has become toxic and they have no relevance in America or Britain. All they had was their royal connections and titles now the money is running out and the contracts have to be fulfilled and they've nothing to give except behind the scenes interviews from the Invictus Games, which he's been cut from because of his exploitation of it for his own ends.

They are regularly caught out in their own lies. Both have alienated their entire families. Both have alienated most of their friends. They are embroiled in so many law suits against anyone who says anything critical about them that it must be eating money. Of course they want Met police protection, it looks great for Netflix for American TV and Americans aren't impressed by ordinary private security. His book will be the final straw I think. After that divorce, the talk show circuit with her alleging abuse then law suits with him seeking child visitation rights and then obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

They really needed to keep their HRH status and half-in, half-out plan for this to work.

Being hidden away in an upstairs room, and seated away from senior royals during the jubilee showed them up as nobodies.

An a list lifestyle with law suits and trashy interviews/books will soon see them completely discredited and broke. Good luck to Meghan getting a divorce settlement and maintenance because Harry will still be a nobody who flittered away his inheritance.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They always needed the prominence of being top-tier royals as their selling point for their plan to work.

The problem was that neither of them checked that they would be allowed to publicly monetise their titles in the way that they wanted first. Royals cash in plenty (see Andrew, Charles, Sophie) but it's all very discreet and supposed to kept very quiet because they can't be seen to be wheeling and dealing. That's terribly uncouth dear.

So that was strike number 1. The second was not being able to strike while the iron was hot and launch on US red carpets and clinch their A++ connections before those connections realised they were out of the family circle - covid was responsible for that.

Strike number 3 I think was the Oprah interview. Explosive TV, which is what they wanted, but while their lies and half-truths and recollections were subsequently uncovered, anyone in the public eye knows that the first side of the story that comes out sticks and endures so the damage is done. The likes of Obama and Clooney that H&M want so badly to rub shoulders with, spotted the inconsistencies at the same time we all did. And also would have made note of the couple's willingness to dish even family dirt. I feel that this interview really backfired on the couple for those reasons.

I would like to see them succeed as a happy couple but their years together certainly have been turbulent enough for most couples, let alone ones in the public eye like this. All those lawsuits and books raking up stuff has to be miserably stressful. But if they do divorce, Harry would go back into the family business and they'll sort out his image with some charity sector that's been overlooked, like Di and the landmines or Aids campaigns. Meghan will demand, and get, a massive amount of cash out of the family, but there'll be a watertight gagging order attached. It's even possible that depending on what stuff she does know that's not in the public domain, it could be a matter of national security if it's got the potential to destabilise the monarchy, particularly one with an imminent changeover.

I wonder how much she actually does know? I doubt even Harry was privy to sensitive data as he's really rather dumb.

Can Harry go back after walking away, losing his senior royal status and a lot of his titles? Would it not be more likely that Charles will finance him if he goes home? Would the RF be responsible for paying a divorce settlement to Meghan? I can see them giving her "shut up" money, but there's 2 children involved and Harry will still be involved in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Like you, I'm just guessing here, but if he was brought back, they'd have to give him something to do, as there's lots of critisism about extended layabout royals who leech off the lifestyle and don't work - that's where Charles slimming down the monarchy is coming from. Those that are in the public eye have to be seen to be paying their way. Harry no matter what titles might come and go, is still going to be the son of the King of Great Britain, and a prince. What I suspect would suit him a hell of a lot better if he did return, would be to be right out of the public eye, say, in the style of his uncle Lord Spencer, turning up at Ascot or similar and then retreating back into obscurity again, if the press would let him.

If Harry has no money for a potential divorce settlement, then Charles will have to step in. She'll the ex daughter in law of a King, mother to his grandchildren. No matter what, it's not a good look for a man with almost incalculable wealth and international standing if she went crying on Ellen that she's got no food in her fridge to feed her kids. So the best way for all involved would be for her to name her price and for them to name their terms.

They may not know much - but then in families especially big ones, are things ever really hidden? But even that little they do know - like for example if there's even slightly more that the royals (and in particular Charles and William know about Andrew/Epstein that hasn't come out - and that got plopped out in the first few years of Charles's reign, it could send shockwaves though the monarchy.

Exactly. People like the Clooneys and the Obamas are very careful about their privacy. They can see through these 2 and don't want them around. The Clooneys made no secret of the fact that they didn't no either of them when they were interviewed on their way into the church for the wedding. I think these 2 were the only people not to get an invitation to Obama's birthday party. That snub was very telling. Elton John didn't invite them to his after party after the Met Ball. They've come a long way from having the use of his private jet to not being able to get a party invite. The Oprah interview showed them up as willing to sell their own family for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

Also A-list hang out with A-list. They dont want to pick a side against the RF as they move in the same circles for charity events, premiers etc... and no one wants to be snubbed from that group once you are on the inside. H&M removed themselves from being A-List when they left. I am sure they didnt rezlise it at the time but it was an evitable consequence of leaving. Unless they bring some new star power to the table, like winning an oscar for a critically aclaimed documentary (which they wont because they have no talent in that area), they will continue to hustle for column inches along with the rest of the wannabe celebrities.

Add into that mix that their OW interview was a public betrayal that turned out to be a pack of half thruths and downright lies, means the A-listers will be very wary of publically backing them again. Elton John, the Obamas and the Clooneys originally supported them publically while they were still working members of the RF but now that they are out, they wont touch this toxic pair with a bargepole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I see Chelsy Davey has got married and had a child. That won’t have helped Harry’s mood.

A visit to paris may be then suggested..... for meghan!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It will be interesting to see how they are received in the UK this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

just read and realised this year is the 25th death year of Diana (actual day of her death 31st August). But I didn't find anything about a ceremony, even if it's a small one... Is there none? not even from William and family and I would guess Charles should show up to show the respect to the mother of his kids? Question also what Harry (and family...) will do or better: announce on that day. I'm already cringing now just thinking about it..

• Advertisement

they are renting a crowd / mob in manchester where she is delivering a word salad & they will stage an incident so harry gets his security restored id say !!! No meeting with the real Royals they are busy .......

no it won't.

i get it that you are finding it hard to come to terms with the fact harry has left the rf and won't be returning and is happy with his wife and children in the US, but that post is below the belt.

not really, most people won't care either way and will get on with their lives as they have always done.

the minority who are angry at the 2 of them because they have been told to be will continue to be so but H&M won't give a damn.

the daily hate will scramble to find fault and will find nothing and will throw the toys out of the pram with some fo-outrage over nothing.

you can thank me later.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

i suppose William and his family might just mark it privately.

It's hard to believe it's 25 years. There's a few programmes being shown around now, about her.

I liked Diana, I know she had her flaws and all the rest of it, but she was a genuine breath of fresh air at the time to the royal family, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I liked her too. Guess there are not many people on this earth who doesn't like or at least sympathise with her. Some poor soul thinking what she went through with Charles who never loved her, being secretely with Camilla and from her expected to put on a happy face all the time although everybody ( at least in the royal family) knew. So much more we can hardly imagine she had to endure and put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Saint Diana ...

Yes, she was very naive when she married Charles, and yes, he never wanted to marry her. But Diana grew into a shrewd media manipulator who used the press to her advantage, then bemoaned the intrusion when she didn't want it. I think Meghan has a lot in common with her, that might be what attracted Harry.

Diana was just a kid really when she got engaged to him. And she probably had no clue at the time that it was pretty standard to marry advantageously, pop out a few heirs and then you were free to discreetly do your own thing on the side. The trouble was that she was not content with the social norm of her circle. And it seems like she was also a hopeless romantic so might have initially bought into the Disney princess narrative of marrying a prince after a brief few meetings and they would live happily ever after. And I think she was very naive. She was troubled with mental health issues, probably exacerbated by royal life constraints and a shítty marriage, and could be quite manipulative tipping off the press as she got older, knowing that they'd scramble to wherever she was to photograph her.

To be fair, she also used that to bring international attention to important causes and shine a spotlight on issues, but she knew her power when it came to the media - her last summer was indicative of that. It's a common theory that Fayed was basically a summer fling in an attempt to make her recent ex, Kahn, jealous and she drew the media attention to them deliberately in France that summer for that reason and the tabloids were going nuts that summer. The fact that she was still only 36, could still easily have more kids + muslim boyfriend didn't sit well with the establishment and she knew that. Some tabloids were reporting pregnancy & engagement rumours that summer and I'd say she was sitting on that yacht laughing her arse off at the idea of all these racist white toffs being horrified at the idea of half siblings to their King being mixed race and a different religion.

She was manipulative and shrewd but there also was a kindness and empathy in her that people saw as genuine too. And she had immense charm according to anyone who she spoke with. Meghan may have the media shrewdness and manipulative traits of her mother in law but she crucially doesn't have the other traits that redeemed Diana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jesus that is pretty low trying to make controversy where there is none in relation to Diana's anniversary just to get a kick do any of ye have any shame

Advertisement