Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So what do you do when you want to make a C&C game but don't have the license? You make a C&C game and just sand off the references.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If EA won't do another C&C, then someone else might as well come along and take the mantle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

According to Amazon, the game is officially titled 'New Tales from the Borderlands'. The retailer says it will be released for Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5 and Switch on October 21, 2022, when it will presumably be made available for PC too.

The product description reads: "Take a stand against ruthless corporate overlords in this narrative-driven adventure! Within the perpetually war-torn metropolis of Promethea, you'll control Anu, Octavio, and Fran on the worst day of their lives.

"Help these three lovable losers as they endeavor to change the world (and maybe even save it)! Face down a planetary invasion, vicious vault monster, and cold-hearted capitalist in this cinematic thrill ride where what happens next is up to you!

"Meet a motley cast full of misfits, assassin bots, and talking guns in this race to the top! It's time to fight back against exploitation and corporate greed."

Gearbox announced in April that it was developing an "all new Tales from the Borderlands adventure" for release in 2022. It said more details would be shared this summer, and a Gamescom reveal next week now appears likely.

More from an Amazon Description

• Pre-order to get the Adventure Capital Pack , featuring cosmetics for Anu, Octavio, and Fran, 10,000 in-game currency and an in-game FL4K Vaultlander collectible!
    • Decide the fates of altruistic scientist Anu, her ambitious, "streetwise" brother Octavio, and the fierce, frogurt-slinging Fran. With nothing left to lose and everything to gain, you'll claw and con your way through this thrilling five-part story!
    • The Borderlands aren't just home to Vault Hunters, psychos, and weapons-corp CEOs—they're full of downtrodden, intrepid civilians just trying to get by. With a host of returning and fresh faces, this unforgettable tale is sure to delight fans new and old.
    • The decisions you make determine how your story ends in unexpected ways. Whether it's Anu's vision of a universe that markets more than weapons, Octavio's dreams of fame and fortune, or Fran's frosty plot for revenge—their success or failure depends on you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Embracer's random, machine-gun fire approach to acquisitions continues - this time including the rights to LotR and The Hobbit (not just video games, but films as well) and Limited Run games. Oh, and another studio they can't even name yet for financial reasons!

I really struggle to see where they're going with all this - and even more so where all the money is coming from (well, some of it's from Saudi Arabia). They're just spending staggering amounts of money on the most random selection of studios and 'IP'. Maybe they will become the major AAA force they want to be, but I can just as easily see this all ending in a dramatic crash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They just acquired a rake of companies, twitter thread has all the details:

It has to be Saudi money because Embracer are THQ Nordic who disgraced themselves with that AMA on 8chan, the place for pedos and right wing nutjobs.

It's kind of insane what they are buying up. These acquisitions mean that they own the rights to the entire Toaplan back catalogue which is just nuts.

I'm also worried about Limited Run games. I don't like the limited games business model unless the games get a digital release. Limited Run have been doing some great stuff unearthing and rereleasing some rare deep cuts. I'm worried that Jeremy Parish who has been instrumental in releasing a lot of these games is going to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Mad that Amazon didn't go after those LotR rights, what with Bezos being such a big fan. Maybe they just don't care as it doesn't affect their TV show either way.

Bitwave announcing a tonne of retro releases.

So far toaplan games in PC

And a release of Japan and scandanavian only NES classic Gimmick! (Which cost me about 400 euros for a bare cartridge)

New game from Blazing Chrome devs.

Looks like a mix of Hard Corp, Hagane and Shinobi 3. Looks amazing.

• Advertisement

Looks like Sega is looking to make movies out of space channel 5 and comic zone.

I'd be well up for a space channel 5 movie. Comix zone has the potential to be a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Damn, I'd love a remaster/remake of Comix Zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'd settle for not taking unavoidable damage for simply navigating the critical path.

Man, such an old school difficulty level. And fully agree, having to punch through obstacles to proceed while damaging yourself was diabolical coding.

I never cleared it but would love to. The music was so good and the graphics and mechanics were so class for it's time but it was incredibly hard due to lack of health.

Said I'd look up a playthrough and never realised it's 35 minutes long. I got to about the 28 minute mark a few times, just figured there were a few levels after that so I'd never beat it and gave up. Can't believe how close i was to clearing it.

I don't think any game in that period was quite as mean as comix zone. You had to pretty much play it perfectly to get to the end. Merciless. I guess they knew it was short so had to make it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I had totally forgotten about the existence of Comix Zone and just watched that video!

Talk about 35 mins of nostalgia. Every sound bite brought memories back.

I guess I must have cleared it, cos it was all familiar to me, down to the credits.

What a fun little game that was 😊👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sony seem to be doing everything they can to not announce what everyone really wants: a parappa the rapper movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You spelled Knack wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'd watch the **** out of that, just to sing along to the first song I played to death on the demo disk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

XIII is being re-remade for PS5 and is out in September.

After the utterly atrocious remake last year, French studio Tower Five are remaking the remake and as part of their remake will redefine the art style (which was criticised for abandoning the original, comic book look), enhance the A.I., rework the HUD, revamp the sound design, and add multiplayer for up to 13 players.

I really loved the original back in the day so hoping its at least playable this time around. It's free for anyone who purchased the first remake too which is good.

Dead Island 2 is out February 3rd, I don't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't believe it either. Doubt it hits that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Did they say which year's Feb 3rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And don't think it was even the most unexpected announcement with this also being announced

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Couldn't find a thread but Homeworld 3 got a gameplay trailer. Game still looks hauntingly gorgeous.

Advertisement